Madness PvP Questions

TGBeans

Hey what do I need to stack for a Madness 'Sin in PvP, other than expertise?

I'm currently doing crit/surge/power. I'm avoiding alacrity (don't plan on ever hard casting Crushing Darkness) and defense/absorb are kinda useless since I'm not Darkness.

I know Darkness is the top dog right now for PvP but I like the feel, control, and self-heals of Madness more. My general marching orders in WZ's are to find marked targets (usually healers, sometimes 'Slinger/Snipers) and make their life hell for the entire match.

Here is my projected spec (currently level 40): http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#2000cZGMZcMfRrMkrfz.1

Also while I have peoples ear, do you guys have any tips/ticks for PvPing as Madness? Any general Assassin PvP tips?

Edited by TGBeans
Grammar Mistake

First off, let me start with the spec. I'm using this:

http://knotor.com/skills#Ag4DBx-bosLLCSsySVJaYnJ5iZKaq7LL2gAA

Personally I found Torment and Dark Embrace useless with Calculating Mind. I've only run out of force once or twice in PvE and never in PvP. I took Corrupted Flesh since there's so many DoT's in PvP. Also, Obfuscation is nice to keep you hidden. I'm always getting the drop on other Assassins/Shadows and Operatives/Scoundrels.

I don't know about everyone else, but I like crit. I like to make sure Parasitism is working as much as possible, and I especially love seeing those big EW-Maul crits. I tend to either go after healers or other stealthers, or support the ball carrier by popping Mass Mind Control then plain ol' Mind Control on a big hitter once Mass wears off. In Civil War I'm a turret guard to the death, and in Voidstar I run interference. That means either guarding doors on defense with Death Field and Lacerate, or keeping the enemy off my guys long enough to plant the bomb.

By the way, Madness rules. I think most folks are expecting you to be either Darkness or Deception, and tend to get caught off guard by the odd Madness 'Sassin. When they get low on health they usually try to run away only to die from one of the three DoT's I've already applied. :p

I haven't got my madness 'sin up to 50 yet (44). Curious about your build though MrHaterade.

I use thrash quite a bit. Wouldn't you want to put 2 points into thrashing blades instead of obfuscation?

I know 6% doesn't seem like a whole lot; but it adds into the crit multiplier to make your crits that much more potent. And at least for me on an ability I use quite regularly. At least with my playstyle it seems to do me well so far

If you're curious, my build is linked in my sig below.

From what I understand, we get the most effect out of going power/surge/crit in order of priority.

I started off stacking crit/surge (since that's the easiest to build ripping mods out of other pieces) and plan to shift into stacking power/surge after 1.2 once I see how everything prices out and if/where diminishing returns changes.

After having done PvP research on various forums, I personally plan on keeping crit around 30-31% (easy to do in Lightning Charge with Charge mastery) and from there on out stack as much power/surge as I can find - probably favoring power over surge. I'm hoping to be able to get surge around 75% (ideally, but as long as I breach 70% I'm happy) and the rest power but we'll see. Also, don't discount the ability of high Willpower to add to your crit%, it's easy to get tunneled into only thinking about +crit.

As far as tips and tricks: remember you're pressure, not spike (though we can spike when needed, pop overcharge/relic/reckless). Spread your discharge DOT around but don't go overboard (very important). Try to at least hit your 3 deathmark targets with it, and maybe a few more when you can fit it in, especially if you're trying to pressure a healer. I try to start every group engagement in stealth a few seconds after everybody wades in, pop AOE Taunt (which should be done as often as possible), single target taunt a DPSer on the side out of range of the AOE, then DF and start spreading the DOTS around, then choose a focus target to thrash/shock(sparingly)/Raze proc, etc. The most important is to choose your battles (that's why we have stealth) and don't be afraid to hit and run, or force speed to LOS/range to change the tempo of the fight. Also, don't be afraid to use Shroud or Cloak offensively, and not always as a purely "get the hell out" measure. Those two skills can make or break a fight. Also bear in mind that (IMO) Creeping Terror is arguably more useful for the tactical Root than for damage.

Unearthed Darkness always seems like such a strange talent to be so high in the madness tree. Am I wrong that it is only going to modify thrash, saber strike, and assassinate while having no effect whatsoever on your "main" madness abilities like discharge, CD, CT, and death field? Those are all force abilities not melee.

Unearthed Darkness always seems like such a strange talent to be so high in the madness tree. Am I wrong that it is only going to modify thrash, saber strike, and assassinate while having no effect whatsoever on your "main" madness abilities like discharge, CD, CT, and death field? Those are all force abilities not melee.

I agree that it is sort of oddly placed and it certainly isn't one of our most interesting talents, that's for sure.

Arguably, Thrash is one of our "main" madness abilities, but yes - you're only going to see it modifying melee bonus damage, meaning: Thrash, Saber Strike, Assassinate, and Lacerate - and if you take Duplicity, Maul as well. There's also the very vague tooltip in the Character screen if you mouse over Bonus Damage, "Powerful attacks gain a larger multiple of this damage." No real way to tell exactly how effective it is.

Ultimately we're a dyed-in-the-wool hybrid. Our force abilities bolster our melee, and our melee procs Raze. You've got to do both to be effective. To me there's nothing more worthwhile to spend those 2 points on, so into UK they go.