Can someone please explain to me why SWG was so awesome

SkateOnTrees

thats something this generation of gamers will just never understand, or never desire to understand i guess is more accurate to say

to actually put time and effort into a gaming experience and reap the benefits, E-peen, and everything else from achieving where others have not or cannot.

Again, a nostalgic eye. The whole force user disaster. It was rng, you didn't work towards anything because you didn't know what to work towards. They pigeon holed themselves with the original movie storyline. You couldn't just shoehorn jedi into a world that wasn't supposed to have any.

Your all looking back on that game with rose colored glasses. I like to call galaxies the "stand around simulator". If swg released today....it would be an even bigger disaster than what it was in 03. Pay for a game and you couldn't even play it for weeks because the servers were so bad.

I heard someone was starting a pre ngs server, maybe you guys should go play it, and stop posting about it. I'll see you back on the fleet in about a week.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Again, a nostalgic eye. The whole force user disaster. It was rng, you didn't work towards anything because you didn't know what to work towards. They pigeon holed themselves with the original movie storyline. You couldn't just shoehorn jedi into a world that wasn't supposed to have any.

Your all looking back on that game with rose colored glasses. I like to call galaxies the "stand around simulator". If swg released today....it would be an even bigger disaster than what it was in 03. Pay for a game and you couldn't even play it for weeks because the servers were so bad.

I heard someone was starting a pre ngs server, maybe you guys should go play it, and stop posting about it. I'll see you back on the fleet in about a week.

Someone has already started a server, it's been up for years...

Also, the people that seem to like SWG are those that would play a game where you have a black world without any textures at all, where you can play pong against other players, and have a chatbox.

The people that play MMOs not for the game itself, but because all their friends are playing and millions more are waiting on the net.

IE: The people that should stop paying for a subscription and move on to IRC, it's this great MMO made just the way you like it, and it's free. Get your copy today.

Edited by Morticoccus

Also, the people that seem to like SWG are those that would play a game where you have a black world without any textures at all, where you can play pong against other players, and have a chatbox.

Really?

Well you are entitled to your opinion, but I don't feel that is very accurate. I , for one, love this game, and think SWG was not that bad in reference to graphics. The atmospheres were just beautiful. Naboo, Endor, etc.

(and besides, it was Combat 2600 style, not Pong)

its easy to discount the nostalgic feeling we have when your deniably aggressive

people will miss aspects of the game for sure, but I doubt a single person will ever say every detail of the game was spot on. You'd never hear that argument from me on any game I've ever played, or anything I've ever done in my entire life, and for you to think everyone who played SWG is that narrow minded is insulting to say the least.

Edited by SkateOnTrees

Really?

Well you are entitled to your opinion, but I don't feel that is very accurate. I , for one, love this game, and think SWG was not that bad in reference to graphics. The atmospheres were just beautiful. Naboo, Endor, etc.

(and besides, it was Combat 2600 style, not Pong)

I'm not talking about the graphics, I mean that you guys don't care what game you're playing, you only care because you have friends in it too.

Great for you, not a plus for the actual game however.

Well SWG launched in 03 so it was quite the game for that time. Broken yes, bugs yes, but IMO it was still fun. I think most of ppl's fond memories of the game is when it launched and every one was new at it. Most ppl started on Tat. when I played at launch we would get groups and go to the squill caves and pretty much get owned. I think our Fort Tuskin group lasted a whole 5 min entill we were all dead. Dragon hunts with 20+ players scout camps and doctors. The game was borked but it was fun. After you played for a while and got your "SWG legs" you knew what proff. to mix and stack to become a beast and solo a place like Fort Tuskin. Witch doctor,exicutioner and overseer. (remember that spawn :p ) The stacking in my mind is what brought the first CU. But yes for its time it was a great game. Because it was SW every SW game that will come after will be measured against it.

Like I said in another post a while back. It might have been a disaster but it was fun SWG was the Woodstock of SW's mmo's

I'm not talking about the graphics, I mean that you guys don't care what game you're playing, you only care because you have friends in it too.

That's simply not true.

I played SWG for a few months long after its heyday... long post-NGE, and when I knew only a single person there from out-game.

And I /still/ found plenty to enjoy. I mean... yes, it was broken in a lot of critical ways... but the crafting... the space combat... the sandbox elements... those things were brilliant, almost unique to an MMO, and TOR would seriously benefit from their addition.

SWG was great. Was combat refined and amazing? haha no. But if you like sandbox games, and star wars, and RP (and I don't mean RP where you use "thee" and "thou" in your sentences and call it RP), then SWG was a great game.

I am a musician in RL, and I was a musician since day 1 in SWG and didn't even pick up a blaster in that game for months after release. I sat in the cantina for hours on end with other musicians and dancers that later became really good friends.

I remember when we would get enough XP that we needed to train, we would take our tips and head to Tattooine. You see, there were 3 musicians that were a lot more experienced than us, and they would train us for free, instead of having to pay our trainer all of our money. After that, we'd hit the bazaar and look for new outfits, and see what new outfits the local craftsmen/woman could make. After a while some of them got really advanced and were making some really cool clothes - we were so excited to have them.

The whole crafting system was amazing too. Scouring the planets for rich areas of resources, building resource gatherers and then factories to produce goods. You could spend a whole day crafting and selling and never feel the need to pick up a gun or a staff.

On the other hand... if you're an anal retentive number cruncher who sucks all the fun out of MMOs... you probably hated SWG. :)

its easy to discount the nostalgic feeling we have when your deniably aggressive

people will miss aspects of the game for sure, but I doubt a single person will ever say every detail of the game was spot on. You'd never hear that argument from me on any game I've ever played, or anything I've ever done in my entire life, and for you to think everyone who played SWG is that narrow minded is insulting to say the least.

I'm just sick of hearing about how great swg was, and "where's the player bounties" , or " players today should appreciate running around naboo aimlessly trying to become a force user". I was a student in 03, and like a poster stated in this thread, mmos need direction, I couldn't sit in my moms basement all day hoping to magically become a force user, it was insane.

The game didn't just "have a few problems". It was an unholy disaster. But hey, that's just my opinion.

The game had more elements than a simple "pong" type of basis.

There was a world of things to do in the game other than what most MMOs today seem to be focused on.... Getting gear wrapped in a story.

Again SWTOR is a great game. I like it a lot. But compared to an open world where you could do virtually anything, from PvP, to unconstrained space combat, to crafting, to collections, to bounty hunting, to having a home where you can display the rewards of your works, having everything creating by players from vehicles, to ships, to clothes, to weapons, to housing.

It was not a bland game, I feel. different? Absolutely! Better? not really comparable to a theme park game like SWTOR. In its own right SWG was the best, I feel, for its type of game.

It was awful.

People liked it for the relationships they had while playing.

Also, certain Star Wars fans will love anything if you let them build a house on Tatooine.

It wasn't a game, it was a big, empty world with very little to do. It just happened to be Star Wars. These are the same people that like the prequels.

It's all rose colored glasses. SWG was terrible.

I agree the game was nothing but bantha poodoo, from day one, I beta tested and played for 4 years, only thing that kept me playing was friends, I like the prequels, beacuase I am Star Wars fans, I prefer them over the expanded universe, I prefer things written, by George Lucas, since he is the maker, and the creator of offical cannon. But like in all things we all have our own opionions..

But yea Rose Colored glasses are thick when it comes to SWG..

What made SWG so great? This may get a little long. Sorry if it does.

You logged into SWG for the first time, did the tutorial, then left the space port running out into the sand-filled air of Tatooine and thought 'Wow, I'm on Tatooine! In Mos Eisley!!!' And the game really did give you a feeling of being there.

Then you had the most in depth and intricate crafting system any game has ever seen (that I am aware of) where dedicated crafters really developed a name for themselves, and hours could be lost hunting down just the right resource you need. Plus, even with a limited number of craftable items (still well in the hundreds), there was always the room for customisation thanks to crafter's experimentation points, and even the ability to change the colours of items you were crafting.

Because almost everything was crafted by players, you really did have a genuine player-driven economy. People would travel between planets, just to find a Master Weaponsmith to make them that awesome blaster, then go to the other end of the galaxy to find a Master Smuggler who could slice their new weapon and make it even better. That's assuming, of course, that they didn't have to go and find an Armoursmith too.

Smugglers could, believe it or not, actually smuggle (they got into trouble if carrying sliced items or drugs when they are searched by Stormtroopers or Rebel Troopers).

Players could design and build their own cities (and yes, everything that went into building a city would be player crafted). They could choose an allegience in the Galactic Civil War, and take their cities with them, building fortifications and turrets, and so on to protect the city from the enemy. One of the great places on one of the SWG servers (I forget which one) was a fairly small patch on Tatooine. What made it so great? Nothing really, there was nothing there, except it was in between a Rebel player city and an Imperial player city, so there was constant PvP action complete with armies of faction pets going on there.

Being a Jedi actually meant something (when the game first launched at least). If you were one of the lucky/dedicated ones who managed to unlock your Jedi slot, that was a mark of status in the game. People respected you. Of course, if you were foolish enough to be spotted being a Jedi (as in blatant use of the Force, waving lightsabers around, that kind of thing) in heavily populated areas, they also tried to kill you for the bounty. But this was the GCW era. Jedi were illegal.

SWG had a decent selection of character classes, and the skill point levelling system meant you could really create the character you wanted to play, instead of being limited to a specific class. Some of the advanced classes even needed you to mix and match skill trees from the base professions.

Then you have non-combat classes, like entertainer, and architect. Yeah, you could pick up some combat skills to go with them, but they provided an alternative to running around shooting things.

And finally, something that I think has been hinted on a bit during this post, but the best thing about SWG was the community. The player-driven economy, learning new skills from fellow players, social classes, player cities, etc, all added up to an absolutely brilliant community.

I know there will be some that say I'm lookig at the game with rose tinted glasses, and maybe that is true, but in my opinion, the game was certainly good enough to forgive the occasional bug you found. As for lack of content, I don't know how anyone could say that. SWG wasn't a themepark MMO to lead a player around by the nose (Go here, kill x of those, go there), but there was loads to do. The community was a big part of that, with massive organised hunts and PvP battles usually happening.

Edit: I'm basing all of this on before the Combat Upgrade was released. That was the first step in totally destroying the game so many players loved.

On the other hand... if you're an anal retentive number cruncher who sucks all the fun out of MMOs... you probably hated SWG. :)

Very true, and very funny. I got odd looks at work thanks to this comment :p

Edited by dazednconfuzed

tbh I think all the people that claim "rose colored glasses" just tend to be....Dumb....and only want cookie cutter BS fed to them...

Pre CURB Swg was awesome because: (fyi curb was the 1st lobotomy, NGE the 2nd bringing the game mechanics down to the toddler level of the current crop of mmo's like wow and swtor)

-best crafting EVER, you could actually get uniquely made weapons, named, meaning you could make special gear to fit a certain template/playstyle... eg I had a speedcapped, high accuracy, ectremely low damage carbine for applying state effects when I was a defense stacked commando (who only had marksman carbines IV), pretty much ALL my weapons were custom made to suit the template I used at that moment.

as a smuggler I had 30% stun resistant armor with less that 100 avg encumbrance

the stat system was awesome, the combat fatigue mechanic to...the only downside: the fact the the mind pool was so much easier to drain, and thus gave riflemen/swordsmen a nice advantage.....fyi the idiot claiming TKA was bugged: it wasn't, you probably just sucked

-awesome combat system: your skill made huge differences, solid pvp'r vs noob: 15s slaughter, solid pvp'r vs solid pvp'r: well...I have fights last an hour

2 jedi vs 20 randoms= 20 dead people

2 jedi vs 4 good pvp'rs = 2 forcerunning jedi

-best social fabric: actual player towns, player mayors /w elections etc

on our server a memorial was even made for a player that had died (in cooperation with the devs) and an outgame charity event raised over 10K to donate to the foundation funding research of het (fatal) disease

-Jump To Lightspeed!!!!!! tie-fighter/x-wing like combat in an mma, with a modable ship (shipwreight was added as a professions after JTL was added)

-complexity: people that don't like the game tend to be lazy or stupid, as in stead of very simple mechanics, and pretty much 1 way of doing things, you were free....Which means it was important to know you template and it's possibilties. the LLC and flamethrower (and thus BH and commando) were considered the poorest combat classeS......I debunked this statement, and thus our server was one of the few were commando actually became FOTM for a while......everything WORKED, but some things needed more work to work well..... personnaly I get most fun in games out of this kind of challenges

-freedom: some people actually like NOT having to follow the road and play a completely linear game...we had weekly live in-game auctions from our servers best weapon smith eg.

I could go on for hours an hours, but haters will always hate (caused by their lack of understanding of this very very complex game!) But I think the fact that when swtor started, already close to 100 peeps om my old SWG server had organised so they'd end up on the same server......THAT long after the game.....well that speaks more than anything...esp. since most of these were in fact pre-curb players...

I can only hope that some company will at some point make a similar mmo, with that amount of depth in game mechanics, that amount of freedom, and that amount of "sociality" :) and those aren't pink googles talking, it comes more from the lack of social adhesiveness, complexity, and freedom in current games.....be honest, a 6 year old can figure out the mechanics in swtor/wow etc....

I can only hope that some company will at some point make a similar mmo, with that amount of depth in game mechanics, that amount of freedom, and that amount of "sociality" :) and those aren't pink googles talking, it comes more from the lack of social adhesiveness, complexity, and freedom in current games.....be honest, a 6 year old can figure out the mechanics in swtor/wow etc....

I have an existing RPG system in mind I think would be brilliant for a sandbox MMO. Unfortunately, I lack the restof the skills required to make the game :(

btw I miss spice downers, not like involuntarily falling down and puking :)

Rofl, yeah... in the middle of a Krayt Dragon battle too :D

Still, that's what you get if you do drugs :p

Edited by dazednconfuzed

krayt hunting ftw!!! still miss the ability to "retrain" you char....sly in swg started out as "triple threat" (TKM/MPistols/M Smuggler), went pistols centric as m pistols m smuggler (last ditch ftw), was M Bountyhunter, M commando pvp'ing with rockets, akklay enhanced grenades and an uber FT , and later defense stacked commando (of of the last thing I did pre-curb, believe it or not, was solo a krayt with this template)

Running my faction selling bizz as smuggler was also hella fun :) I helped loads of people get their AT-ST

but really, I could go on for hours about all the crazy stuff I managed to pull off in that game, just because of my very active imagination :)

I played SWG for a few months, it just didnt appeal to me. Talking to my gamer friends that played it led me to this opinion: if you like to RP in any game or tend to stick with friends you made in-game no matter how bored you were; then SWG was awesome for you.

If you were more interested in actual gameplay,RP had no appeal and had played other MMOs; you didn't like SWG,didn't bother playing it,or tried it out because it was set in the SWU.

I'm not saying this is fact or applies to everyone that played or didn't play the game, just an opinion formed by talking to friends that played the game as well as noticing a trend from posters in TOR beta who complained about the lack of RP support and 'sandbox feel" who coincidentally all had their SWG servers and character names in their sigs or referenced SWG outright in their posts.

Edited by Temeluchus

Yeah Pre-CU didn't see much class / race balance. I remember new players saying they wanted to pvp as a pistoleer or a carbineer. Good for them for trying, but not so effective unless you had some crazy poison/fire dot exceptional pistol/carbine. I remember a point where you either played as a defense stacker (ie TK/fencer) or rifle/TK or rifle/CM. anything beyond that and you put yourself at a huge disadvantage. i still had fun though :p

SWG was awesome because it had a total immersion of social atmosphere. The server I played on had a lot of women players and most of them were the crafters and entertainers. So you had a lot of interaction with awesome female players.

The guys went out pvp'd in the world not in a box like what we have now. Raiding other player cities was fun and lasted for hours.

There wasn't a true leveling system we had the ability to customize our character classes we were not stuck with just one set of parameters.

After a hardcore day of grinding out boxes or pvping we could always sit back in the cantina's and chat with other players and have a great night relaxing in the game.

Crafting was unique at the time as well. Crafters were relevent as gear would become broken it could only be repaired for x amount of times before becoming totally useless. Unlike SWTOR or WOW gear would hit durability 0 we can repair it and the gear wasn't lost.

Rare loot. Was exactly that. World bosses would drop an item once in awhile with amazing states for damage and these items didn't last forever as mentioned before with item decay.

There are a lot of great memories of that game and the relationships built and still stay in contact with a lot of those players even though we play different games or other happenings in life.

SWG was a true MMO that required everyone to interact with each other to get the items needed for your class. We were limited to one character per server unless you unlocked a jedi slot (this is one thing that killed the game as well).

From a game mechanics standpoint, SWG was a pile of fail with a side of disaster for taste. There were known bugs from launch to shut down, SOE tried to improve the game mechanics a few times but ultimately failed in horrible ways, the game world was vast and expansive like people have said, but there was absolutely no direction to it and it was mainly a whole lot of nothing.

People wax poetic about it because, frankly, they can't look at the game subjectively. Most of the SWG vets I've talked to, when you can actually start getting through to them, admit that it wasn't the game that they miss, its the community that played the game that they miss. The game itself was absolutely terrible, but the people that played it made it great.

mmm looks like dazednconfused has a better way with words than me :)

btw I miss spice downers, not like involuntarily falling down and puking :)

hahaha, I forgot about the spice downer +10 KD defence to you :D

Edited by Malefik

to the people saying swg had no content are sorely mistken. It had the best content i've ever played, the mission terminals dont count. The real content was completely player-made ie. assembling 100+ players to raid an imperial base, or just going out with a friend and slaughtering any red or tef'd players you saw.

Like people have said crafting was a whole other game in itself, the complexity was mindblowing. There was something for literally everyone, politics, image designer, bio engineer ect. Lets not forget about the macro system by far the best and most complex than any game i've played. Granted i can see why this would not appeal to the current gaming community since like others have said having your hand held to each and every quest hub is the norm now.

I'll say there is a lot of nostalgia related to swg, but that doesnt mean it wasnt a fantastic game. Most people that say it was horrible are the ones that never played it, couldnt get into the social aspect of it ( guilds) or couldnt get a character mastered.