Comparative Forces

Cavell

Maybe this is buried in the backstory somewhere, but I'm curious if it's ever been definitively stated which side has the manpower/resource advantage.

I get the impression that the Republic has a far larger military, while the Empire's is smaller but much more...I don't want to say competent, because that wouldn't be right, but perhaps "strategically superior." Perhaps a bit like the Germans versus the Allies in World War 2 terms.

Well considering the Sith Empire had a tiny portion of the galaxy compared to Republic before they attacked, they certainly had less resources and manpower. But they had better prepared and better trained military. Things changed after the war. Sith increased their territory but the Republic could draft in more troops and train them. So after that it is hard to say. But at the beginning Sith surely had better military and superior tactics to counterbalance their lack of resources and numbers. Edited by Path-x

Well considering the Sith Empire had a tiny portion of the galaxy compared to Republic before they attacked, they certainly had less resources and manpower. But they had better prepared and better trained military. Things changed after the war. Sith increased their territory but the Republic could draft in more troops and train them. So after that it is hard to say. But at the beginning Sith surely had better military and superior tactics to counterbalance their lack of resources and numbers.

I don't know if I'd agree with the superior tactics.

"You failed! Die!"

"You saw what happened to your superior, and now you've failed as well! Die!"

"You lived and your superior died in that battle. Die!"

I'm actually curious why there aren't more defectors or more Sith shot in the back.

I don't know if I'd agree with the superior tactics.

"You failed! Die!"

I'm actually curious why there aren't more defectors or more Sith shot in the back.

Empire's policy concerning bad of performance has nothing to do with tactics.

Edited by Path-x

I took it as about even but the Imperials are better trained whilst the republic rely on security forces and have very few actual career soldiers.

Thinking about it the Imperials and their life style reminds me of Sparta at its prime.

"You failed! Die!"

I think, small amount of defetions in Empire comes from mentality of Imperial peaople - like in many totalitarian systems, they kinda "brainwashed".

Second thing - killing own is quite common in Empire - you name only small amount of reason of death in Imperial Armoed Forces. Guy named Darth Acharon was killing his soldiers almost for anything - from mission failing to bad boot polish. Numbers goes in hundreds.

Thing is - Imperials has less men than Republic and still wasting them in stupid causes like Siths personal desires. But hey, they got money from slavery so can hire Mandos and other mercs :).

Way I see it, the Republic is larger and more established, thus stronger economically. But the Sith can counter this with practices such as slavery, which equates to near round-the-clock free labour.

The average Sith is also, arguably, stronger than your average Jedi. This is due to the fact that, if you are a weak Sith, you will die. Period. As a Jedi, they get all sorts passing through bar the weakest/most inept.

I would say the Sith have the better military. Initially the Sith army outnumbered the Republics, but now I would say they are numerically even. However, I would argue that the Sith army as a whole is more disciplined and better trained. However! The Republic have the best Special Forces.

Fleet-wise I would say that they are on par. Perhaps the Sith Fleet has an edge, taking into account the Sith Inquisitors Storyline...

Way I see it, the Republic is larger and more established, thus stronger economically. But the Sith can counter this with practices such as slavery, which equates to near round-the-clock free labour.

The average Sith is also, arguably, stronger than your average Jedi. This is due to the fact that, if you are a weak Sith, you will die. Period. As a Jedi, they get all sorts passing through bar the weakest/most inept.

I would say the Sith have the better military. Initially the Sith army outnumbered the Republics, but now I would say they are numerically even. However, I would argue that the Sith army as a whole is more disciplined and better trained. However! The Republic have the best Special Forces.

Fleet-wise I would say that they are on par. Perhaps the Sith Fleet has an edge, taking into account the Sith Inquisitors Storyline...

Having slaves/draftees for soldiers tends to make for poor soldiers.

I'd say for every strong Sith there is an equally strong Jedi. Then the Jedi get more numbers as their weak Jedi are still running around, while the Sith killed there's in their own infighting/training process.

Having slaves/draftees for soldiers tends to make for poor soldiers.

I'd say for every strong Sith there is an equally strong Jedi. Then the Jedi get more numbers as their weak Jedi are still running around, while the Sith killed there's in their own infighting/training process.

Imps don't use slaves as soldiers. The advantage of hight use of slave labor is free work force so they can pump more money to military and science projects (also hire mercenaries). It's quite efficient technic - even some senators in Republic Senate were planning to introduce slave labor in Galactic Republic.

Edited by Pefny

Maybe this is buried in the backstory somewhere, but I'm curious if it's ever been definitively stated which side has the manpower/resource advantage.

I get the impression that the Republic has a far larger military, while the Empire's is smaller but much more...I don't want to say competent, because that wouldn't be right, but perhaps "strategically superior." Perhaps a bit like the Germans versus the Allies in World War 2 terms.

Hmmm. I would say the both sides are indeed equally powerful, because that is the basic assumption to retain the status quo in every MMO. I think it becomes quite clear in the battle for Corellia - not only are both forces about equally strong, there are several factions, some of which you would least expect, which are deliberately trying to keep it that way. In both the Imperial Agent story and the knight story appears a faction (but not the same faction in the two respective stories) which is really interested in the Republic and the Empire being par on Corellia.