New Merc Jetpack Ability!

Warlord_Maliken

(1) JETPACK DISENGAGE - The Mercenary flies XX yards backward in the air for 2 seconds. You cannot be force charged for the duration. [Cooldown]: XX seconds.

(2) JETPACK LEAP - Target a location on the ground to jetpack to it.

The WoW warrior has a GTAOE (ground target area effect) leap that works like this. Here is a 40 sec video of what the mechanic looks like.

This ability could be restricted to higher elevation as it is in WoW. For example, you wouldn't be able to jump from the pit up onto the goal line in Huttball. [Cooldown]: XX seconds.

[Philosophy] Star Wars bounty hunter characteristics that we all know from the MOVIES are (1) cool armor (2) cool gun(s) (3) jetpack mobility. The jetpack allows them to take down foes that are far superior due to the MOBILITY it brings to the table. You see this in the movies too, especially with Jango in episode 2 when he duels Obi Wan. I mean, what are you thinking when you watch that duel? The top 3 qualities of course, but most of all that jetpack man... But in swtor, jetpack = lunchbox?..

The sith warrior really does capture a darth vader fantasy, as the sorcerer does with sidious. But playing a mercenary in SWTOR is nothing like this amazing video:

Its more like this:

Next expansion needs to add a little mobility for this class. Consider even removing the hydraulic overloads (slow & root immunity), we want jetpack mobility now paladin freedom of movement.

Express yourselves my children, let bioware know so they can give us the pony we've always wanted.

Would you like to see either of these abilities in the game? And if so which of the two?

Edited by Warlord_Maliken

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read you entire post. I like them both. The first one sounds cool, and it would cenrtainly make mercs a desired class for Huttball, but some QQers might say its overpowered. The second one might be easier to balance within the rest of the game's mechanics.

If the second one was implemented, the commando mirror could be called something like "tactical retreat" or "pull back" and just have them running away really fast. Or, they could use an animation similar to the harpoon except instead of targeting a player, they target the ground with their assault cannon, fire the harpoon, and use their gun to pull them to safety.

This is exactly what is needed for these classes. That it doesnt exist already is almost ludicrous, no actually it IS ludicrous. THIS IS NEEDED BW! It has been needed since you started to focus on making it easier for all melee classes in pvp.

Just take a look at what we have today for prefered dps in warzones.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Marauder- Melee range, has the ability to deliver instant attacks that deals insanely high damage. Wanted for RWZ

PT- Melee range, has the ability to deliver instant attacks that deals insanely high damage. Wanted for RWZ

Juggernaut Melee range, has the ability to deliver instant attacks that deals insanely high damage. Wanted for RWZ

Assassin Melee range, has the ability to deliver instant attacks that deals insanely high damage. Wanted for RWZ

Ranged classes that is wanted for RWZ is....the only one that has immunity to force leaps.

That leaves mercs/sorcs as either healers or they get asked to leave and make room for someone who has a proper class.

Is this what you guys over at BW/EA think that we would enjoy? Eh? Sorry we cant hear you, your complete and utter silence has deafened the entire merc/trooper community. We dont even post anything anymore, we have pretty much given up. We have yelled, we have whined and now we have fallen pretty much silent. Noone wants the classes that suck this much, so when you end up getting kicked from the guild because of crappy game design...erhm you expect me to just roll solo and keep on doing PvP? No---- I quit ofc, its not fun!

Just do something about this crappy situation. We are the magus/Engineer class from warhammer that everyone took a dump on, you could kill em by giving them a stern look and thats exactly what this class feels like.

Edited by Nightkin

Ranged DPS survival tools->

Snipers:

1) Leg Shot(snare single target)

2)Cover Pulse(knockback aoe)

3)Entrench(immune to control effects)

4)Flash bang (aoe stun)

5)Evasion (dodge melee and range attacks 100% for 3 secs)

6)Shield Probe( absorbing moderate dmg for 15 secs)

7)Ballistic Shield( 20% dmg reduction for 15 secs)

8)Debilitate (single target stun)

Sorcerers:

1)Overload(aoe knockback)

2)Electrocute(single target stun)

3)Static Barrier(absorbing high amounts of dmg, spam able)

4)Force Speed

5)Force Slow(single target snare)

Mercenaries:

1)Electro Dart(single target stun)

2)jet boost(aoe knockback)

3)Energy Shield( dmg reduction of 25% for 12 secs)

4)Kolto Overload( restores 15%HP over 10 seconds)

I really think mercs could use a backwards leap to keep ur distance from melee, have been hoping for it to come with each passing patch, just like we needed an interrupt ability seems that we finally get it in 1.4

Its simple. Jango is the icon for mercenaries and he is all about mobility and using that jetpack. SWTOR MERCS need to feel like your playing Jango or Bobba Fett! There are many posts stating that the mercenary does not feel like a bounty hunter... And i agree 100%.. When you watch the movies and see Jango and Bobba Fett, what do you think? Cool armor, but most of all, JETPACK! I think we can all agree on this. To delve in further, MOBILITY. Jango and Bobba are all over the place. Its hard for jedi to lock them down b/c of their mobility via the jetpack. The Obi-won vs Jango scene in episode 2 is a prime example. Right now the mercenary feels like they are going to pull out a peanut butter and jelly sandwitch from the lunchbox on their back.

I am referring to WoW here b/c as we all know its the monster of the industry and has been out for like 8 years. WoW had to give all their classes new ability-mechanics to expand their game over the years b/c of expansion packs and what not. One of these Jetpack Abilities needs to be added to the mercenary asap. Powertechs are already raw, they have their grapple (fun!). Mercs need something to distinguish themselves as forces to be reckoned with. Right now mercenaries are simply zombie-mode nukers. When pvping as a merc, it feels like you are pve'ing, and thats a problem imo. Attack us and we knock you back (fear me!). its really bland gameplay, but super fun if no one ever attacks you in pvp.. Bring some life to the Mercenary asap to make us interactive by adding one of these few jetpack abilities.

(#1) GTAOE JETPACK LEAP: The WoW warrior has a GTAOE (ground target area effect) leap. This mechanic needs to be given to the mercenary as soon as possible. Commando/Mercs lack mobility, but mobility is their most obvious feature in the movies; at least for bounty hunters. Applying this ability to swtor, think about things such as a merc running the huttball and then jetpack leaping up to the goal line from the pit. This could be very overpowered, and is an obvious barrier. Find a way around it!!! Get this into the game! Take away our brainless blue absorbtion shield (BORING..) and give us something interactive like this. I'll take a dmg nerf, or take away an ability from us, but give us something cool in return such as this ability ^. Mobility mobility mobility, aka jetpack.

(2) JETPACK DISENGAGE: The WoW hunter has a disengage where the hunter flies upward and backwards to get away from her enemies. This mechanic needs to be given to the mercenary, and also expanded upon. Mercs need a JETPACK disengage. The mercenary shoots a barrage of shots with both pistols while leaping backward in the air. Make your enemies wish they had a jetpack :D Jango does this to obi-wan in episode 2, and it was awesome lol. It would be such a fun ability to have.

==============================================

The two abilities above would have to be copied since the republic have a mirror class of the mercnary, the Commando. There are jetpack troopers in Star Wars. The difference will be, the majority of mercenary abilities will revolve around the jetpack. Death From Above, future abilities, etc. Troopers can use a jet booster from the bottom of their boots (like the legacy jetpack), or their harpoon to propel them to a target location, while Mercenaries can use the lunchbox on their back. What im trying to get at is, in an MMO it takes a lot to add a new ability like this. There are balancing issues to be concerned with. That being said, FIND WAYS AROUND IT. We need one of these two abilities on the mercenary/commando and fast. Don't wait till an expansion to release an ability like this!

Please give your thoughts on this. My main is an Elite Warlord Juggernaught (Valor 100). I also play a 50 Mercenary. As a juggernaught, I would still like to feel like I am facing a jango / bobba when i approach a mercenary (or a really good trooper like the cinematics show). As of right now its kind of a joke.

Would you like to see one of these abilities in the game? and if so which of the two? Either? I would be suprised to see anyone who would not like to see either of these in the game but that is what threads are for :D I am assuming they are already planning to add these mechanics, but it is a matter of when. Will we have to wait 8-16 months? Subscription $ / #'s is always a concern to the company, but I feel that any of the two abilities being added would do nothing but good for this game.

Discuss and please comment.

/signed

I support Disengage...I have been posting this for months now. My take on disengage was a bit different (Jump back 15m and drop any current targets on you). But the idea is similar. Merc/Commando is the Only AC without an AC Defining ability and this would certainly fit the bill, and help with the serious lack of escape tools. Im all for the idea. Edited by Soljin

Defiantly liked the 1st option, i also see it being easier to implement and be easier to use (since this game targets the casual community so much i doubt we will see option #2 people would be using it and go flying into walls...)

Then again i see both options as potential exploits to datacron hunters, However that shouldn't stop them, since sage's have a friendly pull and guardians have a friendly leap and can just use a party to cheat for them. (though it would be slightly different since you wouldn't need a 2nd person...)

I had also thought about a skill of this type for scoundrel's too. In fact to be fair all 8 class's should have it if you look at the movie's*, though that wasn't where this post was going, (commando's/mercs getting a movement skill they lack)

it would make PvP a bit more interesting.

*Luke use's a similar skill to repel an AT-AT

*i don't remember the specific's but in #1 *timeline wise* they use'd a similar skill too.

* i'm sure i could find more example's but its late at night and i'm lazy:p

P.S. may want to disable said skill when holding the huttball, that way its not exploited...then again if we all have the skill i don't see the issue:cool:

Sorry, but no.:jawa_mad: The merc has both two guns and a back missile launcher. However, the only special thing the powertech has got is a jetpack. Now you want to give them both a jetpack. This means that the number of powertechs would greatly decrease, because this one would have nothing special anymore.:jawa_frown: Please, just lets keep the jetpacks for the powertech, its the only thing which makes this adv. class unique.:jawa_angel:

Oh yes, isn't Boba Fett more kind of a powertech?:jawa_confused:

Edited by starwarsmarsian

Sorry, but no.:jawa_mad: The merc has both two guns and a back missile launcher. However, the only special thing the powertech has got is a jetpack. Now you want to give them both a jetpack. This means that the number of powertechs would greatly decrease, because this one would have nothing special anymore.:jawa_frown: Please, just lets keep the jetpacks for the powertech, its the only thing which makes this adv. class unique.:jawa_angel:

Oh yes, isn't Boba Fett more kind of a powertech?:jawa_confused:

Then Jango by your example is more of a mercenary, and still flew around more than Boba did. Regardless IMO the entire class needs something that makes them actually feel like bounty hunters, this would be a step in that direction. And do you realize how little damage that second weapon does? its mainly for the stats, which you also get from the shield/power generator, so that's a moot point. What makes them unique is their ability to tank, I could understand it if someone was asking to allow mercs to tank also, but no, the jetpack is the quintessential icon of the standard bounty hunter.

Edited by Fortunefive

Then Jango by your example is more of a mercenary, and still flew around more than Boba did. Regardless IMO the entire class needs something that makes them actually feel like bounty hunters, this would be a step in that direction. And do you realize how little damage that second weapon does? its mainly for the stats, which you also get from the shield/power generator, so that's a moot point. What makes them unique is their ability to tank, I could understand it if someone was asking to allow mercs to tank also, but no, the jetpack is the quintessential icon of the standard bounty hunter.

Two blasters + a back missile launcher is two cool extras for the merc. Jetpack + tanking is two cool extras for the powertech. If you give the merc one more cool extra, a jetpack, then the merc would be 'better' than the powertech, if you get what I mean. But, however, this could be compensated if the powertech would have a two blaster or back missile launcher ability. Then I would be fine with the jetpack ability for the merc.:jawa_smile:

Two blasters + a back missile launcher is two cool extras for the merc. Jetpack + tanking is two cool extras for the powertech. If you give the merc one more cool extra, a jetpack, then the merc would be 'better' than the powertech, if you get what I mean. But, however, this could be compensated if the powertech would have a two blaster or back missile launcher ability. Then I would be fine with the jetpack ability for the merc.:jawa_smile:

So two blasters and Fusion Missile, for mercs, and jetpack and tanking for pt's.

Merc's can heal, that gives them 1 point over pt's, but PT's have a grapple, so that's another point for PT's, and PT's get to use Shield generators, so that's another point, plus they get flame sweep, that's another point....

This point system you came up with is completely bias on what you like about your AC's abilities.

I didn't choose my AC because I was able to use a Back propelled missile, or the fact I got to use two pistols, I chose it because of the capabilities and roles I could fill, I was interested in healing and DPSing, thats what drove my choice.

IMHO BW needs to do away from the 'each advanced class gets a unique WEAPON' and instead go with 'each set of advanced class gets a small array of weapons' why should my BH be limited to either 1 pistol / shield/power gen, or 2 pistols, I hate it. I would rather have the ability to use carbines aka blaster rifles+shield/power gen, possibly even for 'tanks' the ability to use a tech staff and/or vibro blade +the shield/power generator. I would gladly give up the two pistols for some other combo of weapons.

So two blasters and Fusion Missile, for mercs, and jetpack and tanking for pt's.

Merc's can heal, that gives them 1 point over pt's, but PT's have a grapple, so that's another point for PT's, and PT's get to use Shield generators, so that's another point, plus they get flame sweep, that's another point....

This point system you came up with is completely bias on what you like about your AC's abilities.

I didn't choose my AC because I was able to use a Back propelled missile, or the fact I got to use two pistols, I chose it because of the capabilities and roles I could fill, I was interested in healing and DPSing, thats what drove my choice.

IMHO BW needs to do away from the 'each advanced class gets a unique WEAPON' and instead go with 'each set of advanced class gets a small array of weapons' why should my BH be limited to either 1 pistol / shield/power gen, or 2 pistols, I hate it. I would rather have the ability to use carbines aka blaster rifles+shield/power gen, possibly even for 'tanks' the ability to use a tech staff and/or vibro blade +the shield/power generator. I would gladly give up the two pistols for some other combo of weapons.

You don't get what I mean. People should make a choice when choosing an adv class. Do you want a jetpack or heavy armor? Then pick the Powertech. Do you want two blasters or a good healer/DPSer? Then pick a Mercenary. I chose the Powertech because I liked the heavy armor. You chose the Merc because of the healing and DPSing. If you start turning a class to 1 thing, then there wouldn't be a point at making a choice.

So you want each class to be able to equip all kinds of weapons. Then what's the point of choosing a class?:rod_confused_g:

Back on topic...

I was thinking a little bit more on the post that I had made earlier regarding the commando mirror. I would like to propose something else now that I thought about it more. The idea is similar to what is seen in the clone wars cartoons. Have a move called "Gunship Assist." Visually, it would have a grappel drop out of the sky as though sent by a military gunship. The line would then move the commando either backwards or to the ground target as dictated by the Mercenary move.

I mean come on! If agents can ask the imperial military for a bombardment, why can't commandos as for a gunship assisted retreat?

You don't get what I mean. People should make a choice when choosing an adv class. Do you want a jetpack or heavy armor? Then pick the Powertech. Do you want two blasters or a good healer/DPSer? Then pick a Mercenary. I chose the Powertech because I liked the heavy armor. You chose the Merc because of the healing and DPSing. If you start turning a class to 1 thing, then there wouldn't be a point at making a choice.

This thread is open for opinions and I welcome them with open arms but I dont quite understand your argument here. This would not change the fact that Powertech is a heavy armor MELEE to Medium Range burst DPS class with a tanking roll. Very different from the Mercenary. They have GRAPPLE (pull enemies to them) and CHARGE (Jetpack Charge if your tank).

I'm not even going to compare the Mercenary and Powertech in grid format for you as the above statement is enough. The Powertech will still be a boss and have a tank roll in it while maintaing its fun and unique mechanics (grapple, charge, melee style).

Also in a previous post you also said that no one would play Powertech anymore if either of the 2 jetpack abilities were added to the Mercenary.. I think we all know that would not be the case at all. They hold unique mechanics and are VERY strong and an easy-going class. They're easy to play and do a lot of damage plus they have the melee aspect that the Mercenary doesnt have at all (which is fine!).

I stand by what i said, this would only make the gameplay and PvP combat more fun for us all if either of these jetpack abilities were added to the Mercenary.

"If you turn a class into 1 thing then there wouldnt be a point at making a choice."

???

I think your opinion may change over time as you play the game more. To sympothise with you I was furious in beta that Sith could run around with green/blue lightsabers. I wanted all sith to have the classical red/white sabers b/c anything else was just not what I knew as Star Wars. My view on this shifted as I started playing the game. Now I love to have the option (though i choose red on my juggy) and don't mind it in the game at all lol.

P.S. Keep in mind of the possibility that all Powertechs may get "Jet Charge" as an ability in the future, rather than have to spend a talent point to get it. The game is ever changing, and for the better since release. BioWare has been doing an amazing job of that.

Edited by Warlord_Maliken

Then again i see both options as potential exploits to datacron hunters, However that shouldn't stop them, since sage's have a friendly pull and guardians have a friendly leap and can just use a party to cheat for them. (though it would be slightly different since you wouldn't need a 2nd person...)

But bounty hunters are good at navigating through terrain to hunt down their targets so that's fine (same goes for commando because of running through all those obstacle courses in boot camp)

biggest problem though would be implementing a non-ridiculous, non-jetpack-based mirror version for the trooper

This thread is open for opinions and I welcome them with open arms but I dont quite understand your argument here. This would not change the fact that Powertech is a heavy armor MELEE to Medium Range burst DPS class with a tanking roll. Very different from the Mercenary. They have GRAPPLE (pull enemies to them) and CHARGE (Jetpack Charge if your tank).

I'm not even going to compare the Mercenary and Powertech in grid format for you as the above statement is enough. The Powertech will still be a boss and have a tank roll in it while maintaing its fun and unique mechanics (grapple, charge, melee style).

Also in a previous post you also said that no one would play Powertech anymore if either of the 2 jetpack abilities were added to the Mercenary.. I think we all know that would not be the case at all. They hold unique mechanics and are VERY strong and an easy-going class. They're easy to play and do a lot of damage plus they have the melee aspect that the Mercenary doesnt have at all (which is fine!).

I stand by what i said, this would only make the gameplay and PvP combat more fun for us all if either of these jetpack abilities were added to the Mercenary.

"If you turn a class into 1 thing then there wouldnt be a point at making a choice."

???

I think your opinion may change over time as you play the game more. To sympothise with you I was furious in beta that Sith could run around with green/blue lightsabers. I wanted all sith to have the classical red/white sabers b/c anything else was just not what I knew as Star Wars. My view on this shifted as I started playing the game. Now I love to have the option (though i choose red on my juggy) and don't mind it in the game at all lol.

P.S. Keep in mind of the possibility that all Powertechs may get "Jet Charge" as an ability in the future, rather than have to spend a talent point to get it. The game is ever changing, and for the better since release. BioWare has been doing an amazing job of that.

Okay, maybe my statement that the amount of Powertechs would greatly decrease was a bit undue.:jawa_redface:

But I just think that jetpacks should stay Powertech.

So you want each class to be able to equip all kinds of weapons. Then what's the point of choosing a class?:rod_confused_g:

I understand what you're saying. Actually People should make a choice on what capabilities (aka Roles) each AC can do, and what they wish to do themselves, not on wether or not they get to use a certain weapon or ability vs the other AC.

I assume when you ask "Do you want a jetpack or heavy armor?" you mean ....a jetpack or the ability to tank? because both AC's get heavy armor.

To clarify I don't want all Classes to be able to use ALL weapons, rather a small subset of weapons for a bit of variety. Why can't a PT use a heavy cannon like commandos? or two blasters like a merc? or if they wanted to a vibrosword? (as a tank) Granted they would have to retool a few skills to allow them the ability to use the 30 meter rapid shots ability, I am not saying my ideas are completely thought out, but think of the diversity, this is STAR WARS ,classes in this game SHOULD be as diverse as possible, I am tired of the same cookie cutter classes, that's why SWG, IMO, was great, Diversity.

Back on topic...

I was thinking a little bit more on the post that I had made earlier regarding the commando mirror. I would like to propose something else now that I thought about it more. The idea is similar to what is seen in the clone wars cartoons. Have a move called "Gunship Assist." Visually, it would have a grappel drop out of the sky as though sent by a military gunship. The line would then move the commando either backwards or to the ground target as dictated by the Mercenary move.

I mean come on! If agents can ask the imperial military for a bombardment, why can't commandos as for a gunship assisted retreat?

A simple fix, would be the same graphic as the vanguard's charge, just make it a "rocket boot" propelled form of evasion, no need to add some ugly graphic, imo.

Okay, maybe my statement that the amount of Powertechs would greatly decrease was a bit undue.:jawa_redface:

But I just think that jetpacks should stay Powertech.

But why? Back when they were discussing the decision behind adding each class modeled after a specific SW character, I believe the Bounty Hunter was based on Boba Fett. (back in 08)

What you are saying, is like me saying that all commando's can still wear heavy armor, but it has to look like army fatigues, not the Iconic Republic Trooper's armor. Jet-packs, are notoriously used by Bounty Hunters, IMHO it is insulting that they didn't incorporate the use of the Jet-pack more into skills/abilities/ utility. Am I surprised? No, it is an MMO after all, and people would always complain about balance.

Edited by Fortunefive

I like the train of thought in the OP. Shelved my merc and it wasn't because of how powerful I think it is or isn't (moved on to Sage next if that tells you anything). I just found it boring compared to the other classes. Starting off on Huttta it was cool; darts on panicking enemies and explosions sending them flying, then you get death from above and that is cool the first couple times; but then you realize that as you get into stongs and players, it just lacks luster. No wow factor.

EDIT - Post idea #2 in the suggestion forums, IMO.

I completely agree, Mercs/Commandos need some kind of mobility tool. Though, I think #1 would exploit terrain too well and make Mercs the best huttball carriers. #2, as a Disengage, would be the best option IMO. It would utilize the jetpack and jump backwards in a straight line

-Snipers/Slingers are more like turrets and are good at facetanking. Where they lack mobility, they make up for it with defensive abilities. Additionally, I've had snipers roll into cover right out of my jugg's ravage. (I'm in no way saying that rolling into cover is RELIABLE mobility.)

-Sorcerers/Sages have force speed, which is a pretty reliable gap opener. They also have 2 talented roots and a baseline on-use slow in addition to their knockback.

What do Commandos and Mercenaries have?

-They have 1 baseline knockback, 1 talented knockback (which is being turned into a melee range root), and 1 talented RNG slow (will be knocked down to 30% from 50% next patch)

All 3 of these classes have a hard stun, a mez, and an interrupt (as of next patch).

Adding the disengage would work well for Mercs and for Commandos it could be a "Defensive Roll" kind of thing.

I support idea #2.

Edited by Xenotoxic

Here are my thoughts on this if you want a melee tank class you go with a juggy/guardian or assassin/shadow if you want a ranged tank you go for vanguard/powertech if you want the ranged tanks to use melee weapons it would force BW to make a whole new skill set same if you want melee tanks to use ranged weapons which imo would be a waist of time because while they are doing that they could be working on something else how ever i do think a bit more mobility in PVP would be nice for some classes like instead of having it where you get your armor with a jet-pack on it the ject-pack is an equipable item where they implement some sort of mounted combat and you are able to buzz around the WZ/RWZ for a short time at a suitable height and and fight that way :cool: but have the jet-pack have a cooldown so it is not spamed/bugged w/e also how defined do you want your class to be? we all got something the other class does not mercs/commandos get charged burst PT/ VG get flame burst commando/merc get heals whereas PT/ VG do not we all have something unique and if you dont like your class or advanced class well i got some news for ya "DONT PLAY IT IF YOU DONT LIKE IT" that simple :) maybe how ever a carbine or an smg like an MP5 or an uzi would be nice for the BH but there are alot of big blasters out there and they are very close to what an smg size would be there are 2 nice blasters from the pvp weapon vender on the fleet that look like mini G3's and some that look like a small uzi but if you had not noticed that game is still less than a year old so give it time look how long it took LOTRO to bring in mounted combat and now this fall LOTRO has it so why get upset at something that is not in the game at this moment? just wait and continue to enjoy this wonderful game that BW/EA have taken the time to make for us :D

PS. I dont know of any other game that lets us upgrade our weapons/armor :D

Edited by Snow_Hawk

Here are my thoughts on this if you want a melee tank class you go with a juggy/guardian or assassin/shadow if you want a ranged tank you go for vanguard/powertech if you want the ranged tanks to use melee weapons it would force BW to make a whole new skill set same if you want melee tanks to use ranged weapons which imo would be a waist of time because while they are doing that they could be working on something else how ever i do think a bit more mobility in PVP would be nice for some classes like instead of having it where you get your armor with a jet-pack on it the ject-pack is an equipable item where they implement some sort of mounted combat and you are able to buzz around the WZ/RWZ for a short time at a suitable height and and fight that way :cool: but have the jet-pack have a cooldown so it is not spamed/bugged w/e also how defined do you want your class to be? we all got something the other class does not mercs/commandos get charged burst PT/ VG get flame burst commando/merc get heals whereas PT/ VG do not we all have something unique and if you dont like your class or advanced class well i got some news for ya "DONT PLAY IT IF YOU DONT LIKE IT" that simple :) maybe how ever a carbine or an smg like an MP5 or an uzi would be nice for the BH but there are alot of big blasters out there and they are very close to what an smg size would be there are 2 nice blasters from the pvp weapon vender on the fleet that look like mini G3's and some that look like a small uzi but if you had not noticed that game is still less than a year old so give it time look how long it took LOTRO to bring in mounted combat and now this fall LOTRO has it so why get upset at something that is not in the game at this moment? just wait and continue to enjoy this wonderful game that BW/EA have taken the time to make for us :D

PS. I dont know of any other game that lets us upgrade our weapons/armor :D

Even though PowerTech's and Vanguards are regarded as "ranged Tanks" its only because they have the ability to use a weapon that has a max range of 30m, most of their threat generating abilities have a range limit of 10m or less, so in this instance using a melee weapon seems viable, again from a tank perspective, maybe not on paper who knows, regardless it would be interesting to see, gimme that. There are ways they can work around this, they seem brilliant...

Giving "melee" tanks the ability to use ranged weapons is not what I had in mind. That makes no sense, just coming from SW lore, jedi/sith only use sabers, but there are other types than just the standard single handed light saber and the twin-bladed saber, you have the whip, a pike (long staff with short blade), the one with a night stick shaped hilt, I'm sure there are others... Versatility is all I want, this is Star Wars, and it seems so constricted.

I am all for the 'disengage' ability, but still people could use it to jump straight back up a ramp or something (going back to someones terrain exploit), unless you are talking about a non-jump-in-the-air-and-back, type of disengage, which is what WoW has with their hunters.

Edited by Fortunefive

Im talking about a Thing like JK3 had where you jumped or something or clicked a skill and got to buzz around not a shoot up and back thingy and are able to do some kind of mounted combat where your jetpack is an equipable item and you upgrade it with bigger fuel cells engines and son and so forth