Regarding Gray Jedi's, and being in the Order (Posted 10/31/2015)

Superice

Hello readers and fellow Roleplayers alike! I have made this thread today regarding Gray / Grey Jedi being in the Jedi Order, now, me and my Guild Officer got into a little arguement awhile ago, where he said that No, they can not, that would be going against everything about the order.

However, I have read, and researched much about this, and I have found that there were several well known Gray / Grey Jedi in the Jedi Order, but I would still love a story teller (Lore Freak) to tell me about this and the rules that apply and the likes! for I do wish for my Jedi Sage to become a Gray / Grey Jedi because they are not Darkside - Who commit Genocide or Lightside - Who if they kill a germ they are now evil and everyone hates em'.

So, if you answer that would be lovely! if you don't that would be sad, I do enjoy reading lengthy things, but you can also just post "Yes" or "No" or "Get out of here idiot"

Yeah, I know it is post Knights of the Fallen Empire, But I still need to know! thank you for your responses if there are any!

Depends what you mean by a grey Jedi. I've seen several different descriptions of what that means.

One understanding of a Grey Jedi is a "light side" Force user who just finds that the Jedi Order's rules and protocols get in the way of doing the right thing. Jolee Bindo would be an example of this; he left the Order and went off to do some good in the galaxy, but he's still very much on the side of the "light" and against the Dark Side. This kind of grey Jedi probably couldn't be in the Jedi Order because their only defining characteristic is not being in the Order; if they went back to the Order, they'd basically be regular Jedi again.

Another understanding of a Grey Jedi is someone who somehow manages to use both "sides" of the Force without falling under the thrall of the Dark Side. Mace Windu, with his Vaapad technique, and possibly Kyle Katarn would be examples of this succeeding (mostly; I think Kyle did temporarily fall to the Dark Side during a trip to ruined Dromund Kaas). Both were accepted in the Jedi Orders of their time. I'm not so sure of any examples in the Old Republic, but the Jedi overall seem to be quick to reprimand Jedi who seem to be wandering away from the "orthodox" path, but slow to actually take any actual action.

Revan as he appears in SWTOR would be an example of this failing. Though his intentions remain broadly good, he's fallen victim to the Dark Side's control and no longer has enough objectivity or perspective to see how far off course he's gone.

Having a great time with KOTFE, I just wish one of my well-established characters had finished all the old story content so I could take them into the expansion instead of this brand-new Sith Warrior I've ended up with. :)

My LS II (or was it III now) Consular, does things her way and doesn't believe the rules of the Jedi are all good rules to have, says as much to Satele, who says she's still a great Jedi. :p

So, I'd say the Order makes room for Gray Jedi. At least certain ones.

I think what a lot of players forget, is that yes, the typical Jedi is generally trying to follow the Jedi rules. The awesome, great main ones, usually follow their own path, that usually matches the Jedi Orders, because they're the main hero of the story.

Players, are the main hero of the story. So, they're less likely to always follow the Jedi Rules. Read the forums, even the LS V players who all go "Follow the rules!" still usually marry a companion :p

Depends what you mean by a grey Jedi. I've seen several different descriptions of what that means.

Another understanding of a Grey Jedi is someone who somehow manages to use both "sides" of the Force without falling under the thrall of the Dark Side. Mace Windu, with his Vaapad technique, and possibly Kyle Katarn would be examples of this succeeding (mostly; I think Kyle did temporarily fall to the Dark Side during a trip to ruined Dromund Kaas). Both were accepted in the Jedi Orders of their time. I'm not so sure of any examples in the Old Republic, but the Jedi overall seem to be quick to reprimand Jedi who seem to be wandering away from the "orthodox" path, but slow to actually take any actual action.

Revan as he appears in SWTOR would be an example of this failing. Though his intentions remain broadly good, he's fallen victim to the Dark Side's control and no longer has enough objectivity or perspective to see how far off course he's gone.

This is the type of Jedi I mean't :) the other understanding is the incorrect understanding, I mean the one that "Wields the Torch lighting the way" "Emotion yet Peace" not the other one.

My LS II (or was it III now) Consular, does things her way and doesn't believe the rules of the Jedi are all good rules to have, says as much to Satele, who says she's still a great Jedi. :p

So, I'd say the Order makes room for Gray Jedi. At least certain ones.

I think what a lot of players forget, is that yes, the typical Jedi is generally trying to follow the Jedi rules. The awesome, great main ones, usually follow their own path, that usually matches the Jedi Orders, because they're the main hero of the story.

Players, are the main hero of the story. So, they're less likely to always follow the Jedi Rules. Read the forums, even the LS V players who all go "Follow the rules!" still usually marry a companion :p

I Don't find that your OOC Story choices should affect your IC choices personally :)

And, I am currently playing a Jedi Sage | Light V | Level 65, and I have a good understanding of how the Gray Jedi work and that under many circumstances they are allowed into the Jedi Order, such as Mace Windu, (I Completely forgot his name before the last guy said it, thank you heheh.) but, from what I can gather from what everyone is saying, they ARE allowed into the order?

from what I can gather from what everyone is saying, they ARE allowed into the order?

My understanding would be that the Jedi assess this on a case-by-case basis, depending on how the Jedi's "greyness" manifests. Channelling your anger constructively or having a romantic attachment is not a big deal, as long as you show proper restraint and are able to regain your balance when needed. Using Force Lightning or executing helpless captives is a big deal and would at least get you called up to explain yourself to the Council. As Nimmerstil said, if you're in a roleplaying group, this would probably be best discussed IC.

Edited by Joachimthbear

I Don't find that your OOC Story choices should affect your IC choices personally :)

And, I am currently playing a Jedi Sage | Light V | Level 65, and I have a good understanding of how the Gray Jedi work and that under many circumstances they are allowed into the Jedi Order, such as Mace Windu, (I Completely forgot his name before the last guy said it, thank you heheh.) but, from what I can gather from what everyone is saying, they ARE allowed into the order?

If the whole Jedi-code thing is to prevent Force users from falling to the Dark Side and wreaking havoc then keeping them out of the Order would put them more at risk of falling. It would be not so smart of the Jedi to not allow them if just for the reason that (grey) Jedi outside of the order would always be beyond their 'influence', while (grey) Jedi in the Order could be 'supported' in staying as far away from the Dark as possible.

My understanding would be that the Jedi assess this on a case-by-case basis, depending on how the Jedi's "greyness" manifests. Channelling your anger constructively or having a romantic attachment is not a big deal, as long as you show proper restraint and are able to regain your balance when needed. Using Force Lightning or executing helpless captives is a big deal and would at least get you called up to explain yourself to the Council. As Nimmerstil said, if you're in a roleplaying group, this would probably be best discussed IC.

It seems as though you do not know fully about the grey jedi :)

They ARE the balance, at all times, never losing it, most of them don't actually use their anger in combat, that was a form created way further in the years, Mace Windu was the first to make that seventh form I do believe, and most everyone who used it fell to the dark side.

And I ain't gonna be using force lightning since, well, ain't available as a Jedi Consular.

My Grey Jedi is not the regular Grey Jedi.

He doesn't believe in light or dark, like all grey jedi, he wouldn't kill a helpless person, like all Grey Jedi. and there is no such thing as "Greyness" and how much it manifests in a jedi since there is no such thing.

However, from a Regular Jedi's perspective, he leans further towards light side then dark, but he doesn't believe that the Jedi Code is correct

He combines both the Grey Jedi code and the SWTOR Jedi Code to make himself, not many people roleplay this type of a person in my guild so I am trying to be unique instead of "There is no emotion, there is peace." stuff.

If you want to know a little bit more about my Jedi, he was a Normal Jedi for 14 years, so he still has much of the regular jedi code and how they act with him, he dislikes using anger in combat, he mainly just believes in the Grey Jedi code. the "Dark Side" powers he does not understand and he is terrible at, so that is another reason I am not using anger in combat or lightning. he does not know much of those types of combat.

Edited by Superice