Operations auto-assigned loot problems

Greyhorse

Sounds more like an issue for PUGs than guild runs.

Well, Story mode is designed to be completed by PUGs so that's a problem isn't it? For that matter Hard should be completable by skilled, well geared PUGs (not at first, but once the boss mechanics become common knowledge) too, though it's less of an issue there because a PUG that's coordinated enough to beat a Hard op is probably coordinated enough to use master looter effectively... you usually end up having experienced raid leaders run public raids so they'll know how to handle the loot.

Good news! We announced at the Guild Summit that we're removing this "pre-destined loot" system from Story difficulty in Game Update 1.2.

You also just removed any reason to Pug raids as well.

Good job.

If you would've listened to the community on this matter, you would've seen from the start (hell, this conversation goes back to beta) to make the loot TRADEABLE to someone within the raid. Now, pugging will return to the old /roll system where you're praying on RNG and possibly going the entire run without receiving a damn thing.

Where's the logic in this?

Every time we've tried to use it, it has bugged out a loot item here and there. The master looter tries to send an item to the person who won the /roll, but it just permanently stays on the corpse or in the chest. This has happened to us both before and after they supposedly 'fixed' master looter. We have lost important Rakata drops that people needed thanks to this broken master looter system. And the CS were unwilling or unable to help.

Our guild figured out what the problem is when this happened to us.

Everyone has to be very close to the master looter to receive the loot handed out.

So next time, have everyone group up next to the master looter and everything will be ok.

Since we started doing this we have had zero problems handing out loot with master looter.

It's a workaround until it gets fixed.

Im sorry but Bioware knows jack about MMO grouping dynamics. Once again I will point to DDO which has excellent support for grouping, from building and managing a group to loot distribution.

Peer pressure to pass loot? Please. This isnt 6th grade. Theres even less need to conform to subversive group bullying in an online game than there is in real life where there can be real physical consequences. Just RNG it and put the persons name on the loot. End of story. They decide whether its vendor trash or if they want to pass it to their guildie's companion.

Our guild figured out what the problem is when this happened to us.

Everyone has to be very close to the master looter to receive the loot handed out.

So next time, have everyone group up next to the master looter and everything will be ok.

Since we started doing this we have had zero problems handing out loot with master looter.

It's a workaround until it gets fixed.

nice to know. I do remember this group constantly jumping ahead while loot was being assigned so they could clear trash.

Well those sound like the kind of people that you don't really wanna raid with anyway.Think of this if they remove the system all togther whats to stop them from using the master loot system in the same way only assigning loot to guild members and leaving the pickups out in the cold.

This only works when the server has a vibrant Story-Mode raiding scene with raids happening constantly. If the scene is just a couple of guilds gearing their alts for guild-raids then you could be blocked out of Story-Mode raids completely. There's just no way to tell before you've leveled a character to 50 and seen it yourself.

The way WoW dealt with this before was that if loot rules were set clearly beforehand and then not honored, their GMs would come in to investigate the reported person, hand out bans and award the loot correctly. That must have been an enormous strain on their support people.

I don't see a problem with not having an auto-assigned loot system in story mode, If you pug a group and they ninja a piece from you then they are just going to be making a bad name for themselves just like in any other mmo.

And if you're doing a guild run on story mode then your guild probably already has pre-determined loot rules before hand that you agree to by joining that guild, so no reason to complain there.

And if you're doing a guild run on story mode then your guild probably already has pre-determined loot rules before hand that you agree to by joining that guild, so no reason to complain there.

I didn't make this as clear as I should have. The potential for bullying comes when you join some other guild's Story-Mode PUG raid where half of the members belong a single guild and can use their voting power for blackmailing.

Every time we've tried to use it, it has bugged out a loot item here and there. The master looter tries to send an item to the person who won the /roll, but it just permanently stays on the corpse or in the chest. This has happened to us both before and after they supposedly 'fixed' master looter. We have lost important Rakata drops that people needed thanks to this broken master looter system. And the CS were unwilling or unable to help.

We had this a few times...with a very simple solution: we went closer to the ML and on second attempt the loot got delivered just fine. Or maybe we're talking about different problems. If it's 2 different issues, i've never encountered the one you describe.

Thx for the clairification on the Auto-Loot question. Has anyone had the issue with being unable to loot chests ? We are able to loot coms/crystals, but unable to pick-up assigned loot (none) at some chests . ?

Yes, we got round this by swapping the OPs leader to the person/s who needed to loot as chests where buggy and it seemed only the leader could loot them

Why don't you leave the system as it is and instead make this loot tradeable for a time for anyone who was involved in the raid.This option seems to make more sense.In fact it should be this way for any group that kills mobs that could possible have BOP items on them incase someone accidently rolls need and wins the BOP item they can trade it off to a player in the group who was also involved in the kill that can use it/should have gotten it.Call me crazy but it makes sense.

And one other thing, when a mob is looted please have popups for all the items that the mob has only showing to boxes on the screen to roll for kinda sucks show more or do like someone esle posted above that had the better idea for master loot.

This This This This This....annnnnnd THIS

Why is it developers feel the need to reinvent the wheel, when the fix for it is as simple as this. Pre-destined loot is a great system...A simple fix is all that's needed...:eek:

Good news! We announced at the Guild Summit that we're removing this "pre-destined loot" system from Story difficulty in Game Update 1.2.

If "story difficulty" means normal mode operations, then this is indeed great news.

Ops in normal autoassign loot, thats just how it is. Its like the LFR system in wow. Normal raids are designed for PUGS and such and it just makes things alot easier, not to mention the normal raids or so damn easy and drop so much loot that if you could assign it it would just make progression way too easy (its already way too easy) especially considering you can get all of the same loot from normal ops from Commendation vendors and HM FP"s.

I dont think they should change it, i think thats a very bad idea as it would just make people complain even more than they already do about not having anything to do (especially casuals who dont plan on moving into hard or nightmare modes) There should really only be a few of each class in an ideal raid anyways so withiin a few weeks you should have all your loot (especially if your running HM FP's on the side)

Making the loot tradable opens a door for some very nasty bullying. "Give that item to our guild member or you're kicked out of the raid and blacklisted from all future raids with our guild".

Got to be honest, ive never come across this in my MMO experience (never played WOW probably says a lot), and if a guild did do that there would be no question to me leaving the party, and adding 7 people to my ignore list let alone them doing it to me...:eek:

If "story difficulty" means normal mode operations, then this is indeed great news.

Ah that kind of sucks to be honest, unless they are lowering the amount of items that drop per boss which would make alot of sense, 4-6 pieces of loot per boss in an 8 man is ridiculous , i dont think i ever heard anyone in wow complain about 2 pieces per boss in an 10 man being too low.

And no, the master looter system I described is not just a different interface, it's an interface that appears for everyone in the raid. One of the current flaws with Master looter is ONLY the master looter gets to see what dropped, and then has to slowly link each piece and have people /roll for it one at a time. It's combersome and time consuming.

The master looter system I proposed before will allow everyone to see just what dropped, up front. And it will allow everyone to see who has opted for (needing) on each item, before it's actually distributed. This is essentially idiot proofing.

Sometimes people don't roll on the things they should be (ex. an Agent passes on the rakata off-hand item because the icon looks like a pistol.)

Other times for whatever reason, people roll need on items they shouldn't have. Effectively ninjaing the item. Wether this is intentional or a mistake, there is no way to cancel your choice once the button has been hit. My idea for a master looter system would allow us to double check everyone's rolls, before finalizing the loot distribution.

Yet another problem with the current loot systems is not seeing everything that drops. With Need/Greed only two items appear on your screen at a time. It sucks to see your Rakata drop, roll need on it, then find out later that a second one also dropped. Now what do you do for that second roll when you have no idea if you've won that first one or not?

Not only would my loot system be idiot proof, it would work a whole lot faster and be more user friendly than the current link and /roll master looter system.

Everyone has to be close to the master looter (quite close) or they wont beable to receive the loot. Ive been raiding hard modes for almost 3 months and ive rarely had problems with master looter (only with the bug where if it was on master loot the bosses didnt drop all their loot but that wasnt a problem with the master looting system, it was a problem with the loot drops and they fixed that a few patches back anyways) If people are rolling on items they should be standing right beside the chest, not heading off to clear trash.

Edited by Samborino

I appreciate the system that was described at the end of page 1 with the ui interface showing up to handle all loot. But the way my guild does it is with need/greed. One person, usually myself as the GM, turns off autoloot, and clicks on the items on the boss or in the chest one at a time. People roll need/greed on that one item, and we quickly move on to the next once the roll takes place. This way there is no messing with master looter, and if two of one item drops we have whoever wins the first one to come up then pass on the second obviously. We were originally just using need/greed but ran into the problems several others have mentioned with not knowing what to roll on each piece when two identical items drop. Also when we have 2-3 items that several people really need the discussions became very chaotic in vent as they all tried to figure out before the timer ran out on the loot if they should roll against such and such a person or not. This part might not be a problem for all raids because you can easily pug things like story mode and just need on whatever is an upgrade, but my guild, Nightfall, Ven Zallow, farms hard mode and almost 2 months ago got the server first nightmare clears and titles from both raids. So we are far more group minded when it comes to gear and if its a bigger upgrade for someone else a lot of our memebrs will simply pass.

The autoassign system doesnt appear to have any filters to it what so ever.

Last night two pieces of columi gear tokens dropped and where autoassigned to a person who already had those two slots filled with columi gear yet we had another person in the raid that could have used those two tokens.

Like others have said, if the loot was tradeable for a short time (an hour or two) only to a person that was in the raid (other mmo's do/did this) it definitely help remedy this problem. When a guild is trying to gear up and working towards progression, giving duplicate items to the same toon only prolongs this process.

A simple fix should be implemented. Allow 1 hour to trade items that drop (only with people in the Operation or Flashpoint). Or allow trading of items only within the instance. Basically the current Bind on Pickup system is terrible and ripe for mistakes and complaints. Blizzard realized this and put in a trade system in their game. There is no reason why a newer MMO such as SWTOR which has such similar loot mechanics should not have a valid trade system for BoP items within the Operation or Flashpoint group.

By the way, the master looter system sucks.

You know what would be really nice in SWTOR raiding? An entirely new Master loot system. This is what I envision:

- Only the raid leader can loot a corpse. This prevents people from looting early when there may be dead people on their way back from the med-center.

- When the corpse or chest is looted, pop up a big window for everyone in the raid. This window would be similar to the auction house UI, capable of listing every item the boss has all at the same time.

- Individual players can 'opt-in' for each individual piece of loot. Everyone in the raid can see who has opted for what.

- The master looter can make sure everyone has 'opted' for the items they need to, and everything is taken care of. Loot is not distributed until the master looter hits a 'go' or 'accept' button.

- Each individual item would be randomly distributed (like need / greed) to the people who opted for it.

- People can change their mind and cancel their opt-in for an item before the master looter hits his accept button.

I described this idea to my raid group a while back, and the responce I got was "I wish we had that!". So please consider.

Great Idea! For our Operations groups, we don't use Master looter because of the issues with proximity and such - so we ensure everyone has area loot/auto loot off, and our Ops leader opens the boss loot, and has to link each item to ops chat, and whoever needs it types "need/me" or we do a /roll on items no one needs. We use SuicideKings loot system, so there's no question as to who has priority.

That said, A new master looter system would be welcome.

Ah that kind of sucks to be honest, unless they are lowering the amount of items that drop per boss which would make alot of sense, 4-6 pieces of loot per boss in an 8 man is ridiculous , i dont think i ever heard anyone in wow complain about 2 pieces per boss in an 10 man being too low.

What? This isnt about the amount of drops, this is about the stupid automatically assigned loot. Right?

Master looter system may suck only according to people who do only pick-up groups.

I hear you. My guild and I were trying to carry and gear our sage healer. Multiple items droped but guess who won? the guy who didn't need anything.

For you uninformed people: this is why the auto-assigned loot sucks.

Edited by Karkais

You know, it was a really good idea. I wish you could just improve it rather than throw it away. Normal mode raids are nice because of that loot system. Just have everyone loot the boss. Maybe they get something, maybe they don't. No muss, no fuss, no need for us to establish fancy loot rules.

But then we get to hard mode raids, and we are right back to old fashioned loot problems. When you happen to have 4 of the same class in the raid and two of that class's rakata item drops, it's a real PITA to distribute them. If you use the need/greed system, you run the risk of one person winning both. If you use the Master loot system, you run the risk of bugging out the loot.

By the way, the master looter system sucks.

You know what would be really nice in SWTOR raiding? An entirely new Master loot system. This is what I envision:

- Only the raid leader can loot a corpse. This prevents people from looting early when there may be dead people on their way back from the med-center.

- When the corpse or chest is looted, pop up a big window for everyone in the raid. This window would be similar to the auction house UI, capable of listing every item the boss has all at the same time.

- Individual players can 'opt-in' for each individual piece of loot. Everyone in the raid can see who has opted for what.

- The master looter can make sure everyone has 'opted' for the items they need to, and everything is taken care of. Loot is not distributed until the master looter hits a 'go' or 'accept' button.

- Each individual item would be randomly distributed (like need / greed) to the people who opted for it.

- People can change their mind and cancel their opt-in for an item before the master looter hits his accept button.

I described this idea to my raid group a while back, and the responce I got was "I wish we had that!". So please consider.[/

I agree totally as long as the master looter can't grab all and go link dead. That said, the predestined loot system was light years better than any loot system I have seen in other mmo's. If they go back to the old system everyone else uses, players will get screwed again and again and just stop raiding. I really thought Bioware wasn't going to cater to the hard core basement dwellers and treat all PAYING customers alike. My bad..

Sarcasm aside, remove loot and replace it with barter tokens. Then all can get what they want/need. Unfortunately gaming companies think if you constantly do not get what you need you will be the lil rat on the wheel and keep trying thus insuring monthly subscriptions. This premise has failed over and over, and sadly BW is going to make the same mistake.

A simple fix should be implemented. Allow 1 hour to trade items that drop (only with people in the Operation or Flashpoint). Or allow trading of items only within the instance. Basically the current Bind on Pickup system is terrible and ripe for mistakes and complaints. Blizzard realized this and put in a trade system in their game. There is no reason why a newer MMO such as SWTOR which has such similar loot mechanics should not have a valid trade system for BoP items within the Operation or Flashpoint group.

An easier solution is add a pass feature for those that win stuff they don't need. The problem seems to be the system running the game is a very very simple one in that it just can't do many things yet and will require many huge updates to enhance and "beef" up the core operations. Essentially the game is a multi-player version of Dragon Age or Mass Effect.

Edited by SikrouDeco

• 2 weeks later...

This is NOT good news. A Stalker got the Sage robes and a Commando got the Guardian gloves last night, because not everybody is familiar with the set bonuses (or is just greedy). They only saw they could "use" it by armor type.

The old system was much better. As somebody above said, fix it, don't throw it out. Very disapointing.