Did i hear right?

Sideblaze

Hey all, i main a dps mercenary and i love it. (Yes, i am quite insane) at the moment, though i heard unload got a damage nerf, is this true? Love the damned ability.

No nerf to Unload that I saw. Some people were lobbying pretty hard to make it uninterruptible though, esp. for arsenal.

i heard unload got a damage nerf, is this true?

Compared to live, Unload will receive a minor buff in 2.0. That is because Advanced Targeting (Tier I Pyro tree), which both Arsenal and Pyros will select, has its effect apply to Unload as well as Rail Shot. In 1.7, Advanced Targeting applied only to Rail Shot. It is a minor effect, adding 5-8% damage to Unload depending on how much armor the target has.

Compared to live, Unload will receive a minor buff in 2.0. That is because Advanced Targeting (Tier I Pyro tree), which both Arsenal and Pyros will select, has its effect apply to Unload as well as Rail Shot. In 1.7, Advanced Targeting applied only to Rail Shot. It is a minor effect, adding 5-8% damage to Unload depending on how much armor the target has.

Unless it's bugged, Advanced Targeting already applies to Unload.

• Dev Post
If I 'm not mistaken, the Rain of Fire talent in the pyro tree will no longer affect unload (reducing it's bonus damage on burning targets).

Rain of Fire (for Powertechs) erroneously improved Unload briefly on PTS. This was corrected.

Rain of Fire (for Mercenaries) still improves Unload on burning targets. Unload has not been nerfed.

Rain of Fire (for Powertechs) erroneously improved Unload briefly on PTS. This was corrected.

Rain of Fire (for Mercenaries) still improves Unload on burning targets. Unload has not been nerfed.

Hi AP! Thanks for posting in Merc forums! We hope to see more input in the future.

Thanks for the reply AP.

The news about unload is greatly appreciated. Any explanation for what I read elsewhere about pyro spec for Mercs and what the Powertech nerfs meant for us?

"Pyro is going to be pretty bad for PvP now. Arsenal is going to be our best option, due to these changes:

CGC DoT: Bioware increased the proc rate to 50%. That means that you're almost always going to proc cgc with rapid shots. This not only makes the missile salvo cgc application pointless, but to compensate for the increase, the dot's damage was almost cut in half. On live, I have my cgc crit for 1k on application. That's not going to happen in 2.0, and that's a significant nerf to our sustained damage.

Thermal Det: Thermal det now applies a 12sec dot upon exploding. That would be good, but they nerfed TD's upfront damage, thus ruining the burst that this ability gave us. Now, it hits for about the same damage as Powershot. This was the nail in to coffin for pyro as a viable PvP spec.

It was great on the PTS before the CGC and Thermal Det changes. It had good utility, with Cure reducing the damage of remaining DoTs, Chaff Flare releasing us of movement impairing effects (PTs SO didn't need this, but BW gave it to them anyways- way to take away from merc uniqueness), damage reducing the CD on Jet Boost, and Energy Shield reciprocating damage to our attacker. All that made it a GREAT PvP spec, with good mobility. But then BW threw us the nerfs that were meant for PTs."

Thanks for the reply AP.

The news about unload is greatly appreciated. Any explanation for what I read elsewhere about pyro spec for Mercs and what the Powertech nerfs meant for us?

"Pyro is going to be pretty bad for PvP now. Arsenal is going to be our best option, due to these changes:

CGC DoT: Bioware increased the proc rate to 50%. That means that you're almost always going to proc cgc with rapid shots. This not only makes the missile salvo cgc application pointless, but to compensate for the increase, the dot's damage was almost cut in half. On live, I have my cgc crit for 1k on application. That's not going to happen in 2.0, and that's a significant nerf to our sustained damage.

Thermal Det: Thermal det now applies a 12sec dot upon exploding. That would be good, but they nerfed TD's upfront damage, thus ruining the burst that this ability gave us. Now, it hits for about the same damage as Powershot. This was the nail in to coffin for pyro as a viable PvP spec.

It was great on the PTS before the CGC and Thermal Det changes. It had good utility, with Cure reducing the damage of remaining DoTs, Chaff Flare releasing us of movement impairing effects (PTs SO didn't need this, but BW gave it to them anyways- way to take away from merc uniqueness), damage reducing the CD on Jet Boost, and Energy Shield reciprocating damage to our attacker. All that made it a GREAT PvP spec, with good mobility. But then BW threw us the nerfs that were meant for PTs."

Quoting me from the other pyro merc thread huh? I'm flattered ;)

But I still stand by what I said there. I don't think the changes were meant to affect mercs how they have, I think it was to tone down PT burst and make Thermal Det more appealing to PvEers. But the increased proc rate for cgc made the missile salvo 100% cgc application almost pointless, and reduced the cgc damage quite significantly; both PvE and PvP players are complaining about that. And then the DoT attached to Thermal Det is nice, but it ruined the burst it gave us pyro mercs, and it was burst we definatley needed to be compete with PTs in Pyro (even then our burst wasn't as good). If AP wanted to tone down PT Pyro burst in PvP, he probably wouldve been better off taking a look at Rail Shot (for PT only, not Mercs). They could proc RS every 6 seconds off if two instant abilities- that's where most of the pain was coming from in PvP. After all, Thermal Det is only 10m for them, where as Rail Shot is 30- wouldn't it make more sense for the ability they have to get up close with do more damage?

Anyways, I'm getting off track. I'm just disappointed, because Merc Pyro is getting some impressive utility in 2.0, like I listed off in where you quoted me, but the nerfs took away our burst and some of our utility and complexity (missile salvo). And every PvPer knows burst is king.

Edited by mandoforlife

@Mandoforlife

Yup, you've got it spot on (bit noobish on the forums hence the copy and paste of your post!).

I've been playing merc since launch and love the class. It's the only one that feels like the right fit for my style of play.

I will try to hold back on raging further about the PT pyro nerfs and how they will affect mercs until I have had a chance to play for myself, but I will be utterly disappointed if my favourite class hasn't been improved (especially as the changes that are needed and the short comings of the class are so glaringly obvious!)

@Mandoforlife

Yup, you've got it spot on (bit noobish on the forums hence the copy and paste of your post!).

I've been playing merc since launch and love the class. It's the only one that feels like the right fit for my style of play.

I will try to hold back on raging further about the PT pyro nerfs and how they will affect mercs until I have had a chance to play for myself, but I will be utterly disappointed if my favourite class hasn't been improved (especially as the changes that are needed and the short comings of the class are so glaringly obvious!)

I hear you man, my Merc has been my main since early access, and despite being at the bottom of the barrel for my chosen endgame of PvP, I still love the advanced class to death! I'm very attached to my merc :D