Are the Sith really Evil?

Mordegrus

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you look at evil from a classical viewpoint:

Evil:

Morally wrong or bad; immoral; wicked: evil deeds; an evil life.

Harmful; injurious: evil laws.

Characterized or accompanied by misfortune or suffering; unfortunate; disastrous: to be fallen on evil days. The emperor is said to be the embodiment of the dark side of the force, and that's his only plan. Not to mention destroying all life in the galaxy.

Due to actual or imputed bad conduct or character: an evil reputation.

Marked by anger, irritability, irascibility, etc.: He is known for his evil disposition.

Source: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/evil

The dark side of the force:

Genocide of alien species is morally wrong by any standard. Slavery is morally wrong by any standard.

Killing people gets you dark side points. Not light side points. Am I right?

Anakin's fall to the dark side because of suffering from loss of loved one.

Dark force users typically have bad behavior since becoming powerful in the dark side of the force often requires giving in to emotions that lead to bad behavior by society's standards.

Again, anger is the path to the dark side (watch, or read any star wars material ever written that has to do with the dark side).

===================================

So yeah if you look at the dark side of the force it does not in one sense conflict with our (human beings) modern understanding of what we consider 'evil'.

And that is what we are talking about. Society's understanding of evil. Not your understanding of evil. Am I right?

Edited by EnsignSorrow

If you look at evil from a classical viewpoint:

So yeah if you look at the dark side of the force it does not in one sense conflict with our (human beings) modern understanding of what we consider 'evil'.

And that is what we are talking about. Society's understanding of evil. Not your understanding of evil. Am I right?

Here is the problem, Western society of the modern world condemns such acts as evil, not all societies and cultures, however do, the Sith, though fictional, can be counted among these cultures.

Here is the problem, Western society of the modern world condemns such acts as evil, not all societies and cultures, however do, the Sith, though fictional, can be counted among these cultures.

Maybe when they are imposing it on others, although when such acts are imposed on them they do.

Edited by EnsignSorrow

Maybe when they are imposing it on others, although when such acts are imposed on them they do.

I assume you refer to the conclusion of the Great Hyperspace War, a nice point, except that I do not believe they condemned those acts whatsoever, they merely sought revenge on their ancient enemies for the act, not revenge for the morality of the act itself.

The Sith are Evil, period. While the original idea or motivations for these characters 'may' not be evil in itself, It's the execution in itself, and the way they behave to achieve their goals that marks them as evil characters. The overall lack of respect for life, the abundant focus on the 'survival of the fittest' and basically hierarchical power oppression all serve as marking points for evil.

Also, while the Sith believe that they handle the force like a tool, it is in the end the force handling them, more specifically, the darkside. it's influence is so deep on most characters that they commit negative acts without even being aware of the depths of their atrocities. In example Anakins delusions around the end of EP3. Or Palpatines general idea. He 'was' aiming for an orderly galaxy, and his reign 'did' bring prosperity and unity to the galaxy, simply at the cost of non-human oppression and general dictatorship.

In the end, it's not the ideals or believes that make the sith essentially evil, not even the goals they might hold, but the way they attempt to reach them. Most times, Non-evil Sith are the result of cookie-cutter fanfiction creating Mary Sue stereotypes or the 'not so sith' type of Sith'.

If the Sith were real and not a figment of someone's imagination, one could reasonably have a discussion about an entire demographic being "evil" or not.

...however, this is not the case here. The Sith is an imagination conceived to be the Evil, with a capital E.

Since there is so much Star Wars material...books. comics, other games etc...in other words, so many stories, it could be argued that not all and every single Sith throughout every single story is unilaterally evil. The question then becomes: can you characterize an entire demographic as Evil if there is even ONE exception? I'll eave that to you to decide...it really doesn't matter. The Sith as a storytelling ingredient is clearly and unequivocally created to portray evil.

In this game however there is even less doubt...as the quote in my signature makes very clear.

Edited by LahLahSr

If the Sith were real and not a figment of someone's imagination, one could reasonably have a discussion about an entire demographic being "evil" or not.

...however, this is not the case here. The Sith is an imagination conceived to be the Evil, with a capital E.

Since there is so much Star Wars material...books. comics, other games etc...in other words, so many stories, it could be argued that not all and every single Sith throughout every single story is unilaterally evil. The question then becomes: can you characterize an entire demographic as Evil if there is even ONE exception? I'll eave that to you to decide...it really doesn't matter. The Sith as a storytelling ingredient is clearly and unequivocally created to portray evil.

In this game however there is even less doubt...as the quote in my signature makes very clear.

Well put