BW, do you ever plan on addressing DPS Mercs/Commandos PvP-wise?

Dovahbrah

Quote: Originally Posted by texoc View Post

Ever thought about fake casting??

jeeez....

Lol yeah spend 2 seconds doing a fake cast....... meanwhile you eat a 7k smash and a 5k force scream. After that you do a real cast BUT WAIT!!!! They have 3-4 more interrupts in que waiting for that next cast.

In other words, melee has so many interrupts that they don't need to be skillful in deployment. Casters just lose, hands down.

Commandos/merc need something like the sniper/gunslinger to be immune to interrupts for like 15 seconds on a 60 second cooldown. This plus another stun/ REAL defensive ability and the changes with holdthe line/electro net WILL solve the commando/merc problems. DPS also needs to be increased probably 15% to be on par with other classes

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ouch that last part cut deep :p Just when I thought we could be friends... :)

I know I know...and I'm soooo sorry...I was REALLY trying not to type it...it's just that in Wisconsin, we're literally taught to hate the Bears - it's required credit to graduate. We tried to hate the Vikings for a few years, but everyone knows they'll never win a Super Bowl, and the Lions, heck, even we feel bad for their fans.

;)

Given their current domination of the server in ranked it wouldn't surprise me if they queued with a merc one night just to prove a point.

Eh, I don't know any of the ID guys personally beyond the occasional nod/wave, but I do believe they're committed to winning efficiently when presented with a challenge (as opposed to say scoring in huttball as a czerka crate-o-matic when steamrolling :D).

I have no doubt they'll experiment with every class in 2.0, as every good team should - it is where they ultimately end up that will be revealing.

Eh, I don't know any of the ID guys personally beyond the occasional nod/wave, but I do believe they're committed to winning efficiently when presented with a challenge (as opposed to say scoring in huttball as a czerka crate-o-matic when steamrolling :D).

I have no doubt they'll experiment with every class in 2.0, as every good team should - it is where they ultimately end up that will be revealing.

Very true. I was just thinking they might try merc DPS just as a self imposed challenge >.>

I spent a good bit of time commenting about Commandos and playing one in PvP. I've stopped doing both, but I am keeping up with this thread and the pts notes. I really think the reason we didn't get the fix we wanted (some type of consistent un-interrutibility) is because then we would be OP, and they would have to nerf our dmg output which would piss off all the people who play commando all the time, namely PvE folks.. A gunnery commando who can freely cast grav round is in fact pretty awesome... We get an armor debuff on our opponent, a dmg reduction shield, a proc of full auto, and with a few stacks, a nicely buff'd HiB or a near instant self heal. However, a commando without grav round is like a focus sent with no way to consistently proc felling blow and build stacks of singularity; a lot of possibility, but not much actual output. The class is broken for PvP, and until they actually have the time to rebuild it, I think band-aids is what we will get. As far as the assault spec, I kind of think it would be the same thing... If they fixed it by giving us two instant attacks that could proc ionic accelerator, we'd be this super vanguard with self heals and gobs of AoE, plus the inherent higher dmg output of a canon vs. blaster rifle. Again, I think, needing a nerf to dmg output, and hurting PvE to fix PvP.

My 2 cents, sorry for huge glob of text.

At this point I would be happy with heavy armor that actually functions as heavy armor, rather than the injection- molded plastic fake stuff we wear that just looks like real trooper armor.

i always find it odd when people claim that heavy armor is an "advantage" for Merc/Mando. its barely 5% more mitigation than medium armor. and with all the armor pen we have in this game, it almost doesnt matter anyways.

I really wanted to play commando or merc and do ranked war zone, so I am sad that ithey did not get the buffs that they needed. I like my sniper alot though, and I am glad I at least have that. Edited by MarkXXIV

I've been thinking about this a lot lately and came to realize that what cripples Commandos in PVP is a fundamental design flaw in the system. Namely, that there aren't PvE and PvP versions of the same skill in the game.

Gunnery/Arsenal does very solid single-target damage but it's easily interruptible to the point, where the class becomes unplayable in PvP. This is due to the fact that this spec relies on Grav Round/Tracer too much and cannot do virtually anything meaningful if Grav Round is interrupted. But if we were to receive an interrupt protection, we'd essentially become Snipers, an unjumpable (with Electro Net), uninterruptible death machine, able to take down everyone at range.

That would be too powerful, so they'd have to nerf overall damage. Nerfing overall damage would seriously upset PvE players, who couldn't care less about interrupt protection in raids. This is the conundrum Bioware faces, there is simply no proper solution to fix Commandos/Mercenaries until they make PvE and PvP versions of the same skills.

Personally, I think many people in PvP would prefer less but more reliable damage than more but unusable.

Having said that, I do have an interesting change in mind that might help rectify the situation. Change Adrenaline Rush, because it's pretty much useless atm (a very weak hot based on total HP), so that it increases Alacrity for a short while (like Target Acquired increases accuracy) instead. Grav Rounds/Tracers would still be interruptible, of course, but with the Alacrity buff, the enemy would have to have superhuman reflexes to do so, something that most players don't have. Combine it with Electro Net and you can definitely put thee Grav Rounds/Tracers on the enemy before he can charge you.

And to be honest, an Alacrity increase would be more befitting the name Adrenaline Rush (as in you do everything faster with all the adrenaline coursing through your veins) than a weak, useless HoT.

Some of you really is lost just like the devs, lower grav round damage if it cant be interrupted is crasy !

As grav round is now it does almost always less damage then gunnslingers charged burst, and

charged burst cannot be interrupted.

If grav round as it is now could not be interrupted it will be almost on pair with charged burst.

If you nerf damage even more on grav round it will do between 500-1500 damage most times

while some mele is chopping you to bits for 5-9 k each 3 seconds.So try and think.

But doesnt matter how much players complain when the "pvp" developers dont play the class

and just dont understand competetive pvp.You have all seen the dev videos of them key boad turning

and clicking the screen.

I mean Rob Hinkle on pvp team said clearly he plays sniper and powerteck just like the rest.

No wonder those advanced classes hit hardest and have the most utility of the range classes.

Some of you really is lost just like the devs, lower grav round damage if it cant be interrupted is crasy !

As grav round is now it does almost always less damage then gunnslingers charged burst, and

charged burst cannot be interrupted.

If grav round as it is now could not be interrupted it will be almost on pair with charged burst.

If you nerf damage even more on grav round it will do between 500-1500 damage most times

while some mele is chopping you to bits for 5-9 k each 3 seconds.So try and think.

But doesnt matter how much players complain when the "pvp" developers dont play the class

and just dont understand competetive pvp.You have all seen the dev videos of them key boad turning

and clicking the screen.

I mean Rob Hinkle on pvp team said clearly he plays sniper and powerteck just like the rest.

No wonder those advanced classes hit hardest and have the most utility of the range classes.

With their designs I'm reminded of the Simpsons, Krusty Brand Seal of Approval "It's not just good! It's good enough!"

Playing a Gunnery spec Mando in PvP just for the full WH set, i agree the interrupts are painful, if we dont get at least 2 grav rounds off our ramp up damage is more painful for us than who were aiming at.

Stuns and stun breaks are another problem, its irritating to be taken apart by an operative because he can stun more than you can break and break more than you can stun.

Squishyness, any good player can drop a Mando in short order, its like a lightsaber through melted butter in some instances, especially if you get dual smash'd or chain stunned.

However.

If i do not get primaried by everything red at once, i can put out very nice dps for what i get laughed at a lot for, running a gunnery spec Mando in pvp, grav round hovers around 2k non-crit and between 2.7 and 3k crit, FA has popped upto 4.5k in crit and between 2 and 3k non crits (with CoF,) Hib rarely hits below 3.5k with 5x grav stack and around 2k non grav stack and finally, Demo round, this baby goes for anything between 3k and 5.6k, 5.6 being my highest crit so far and i havent even started min/maxing or augmenting. many games i have even broken 300k damage.

The potential is there, the DPS is there, skillfully you can make a Gunnery spec Mando viable in PvP just frowned upon and AT BEST, fire support, helping your team carve up the enemy with grav surges has meant that by being rooted i was the line in the sand, doesnt work always and i do get rofl stomped occasionally, but if played right in support roll and not Schwarzenegger with a minigun ala Terminator 2, you can win matches. Especially if they ignore as they are too busy with your own melee kiters who take their attention away from range :)

If interrupts cost ammo, energy, force or focus, that would help as well as giving COmmando, the talent or skill to increase the range of cryo to 30m. Their cookie cutter approach, especially to talents/skills in base class as well as shared trees has a much greater affect on the class as a whole. In an effort to nerf VG/PT, they destroy Assault Commando and Pyro Merc. Instead of making VG/PT eat the sh** sandwich, they make the entire class lick the edges.

Also, it would be probably OP but what if Mortar volley or explosive round was a knock down? Reason being, if I'm not mistaken, after leveling a Guardian, it seems the residual effects from attacks (like the stun from Sweep) work in both PVE and PvP. Commando has no versatility like that.

There have been many good points listed in this thread and it is painfully obvious that commando/merc needs some real help. I was really frustrated the other day when a marauder in recruit gear was able to 1v1 me the other day and I'm in augmented WH. I did get him down to 10% health, but really it was disturbing. I know the commando is a ranged class but ther isn't ANY class that we can effectively 1v1. Other rocks have their scissors, and scissors have their paper, etc. I'm tired of commandos being an easy kill for all classes. Unless commandos are left alone to free cast it is pretty much a forgone conclusion of the out come. Im not not the best pvper but I'm not terrible either so keep the L2P comments to yourselves, because it just highlights your own ignorance.

I'm curious, what classes (besides other commando/mercs) do you have good success against as a commando/merc in 1v1 settings, if any at all?

BW. help the commando/merc for PVP. Please listen to the community on this issue. I know 2.0 comes out but so far no one has said the changes in 2.0 really "fixed" the commando for PVP.

Residual effects for weak/standard targets never go through for PVP. Hence project isn't a stun. No one is getting effects like that.

I wonder, what if instead of general interrupt protection, we got it JUST for grav round/carged bolts. Even temporarily, or procced by something like sticky grenade, or even hold the line. Full Auto would still be interruptable, which is nontrivial, as well as our heals, but the one ability that gates the rest of the tree would be usable under fire.

That ain't nothing to sneeze at.

Residual effects for weak/standard targets never go through for PVP. Hence project isn't a stun. No one is getting effects like that.

I wonder, what if instead of general interrupt protection, we got it JUST for grav round/carged bolts. Even temporarily, or procced by something like sticky grenade, or even hold the line. Full Auto would still be interruptable, which is nontrivial, as well as our heals, but the one ability that gates the rest of the tree would be usable under fire.

That ain't nothing to sneeze at.

Tie a 5 sec 'uninterruptability' proc to explosive round for gunnery and give it a 10-20 sec internal cooldown. Make it worth something for us :p

We can post ideas all day every day, but the chances of getting anything done are slim to none.