Cancelling Force Lightning

zerixll

So as a madness sorcerer, u can access instant cast buff for crushing darkness and lightning strike with "wrath", which sometimes occurs when ur force lightning ticks damage. But my question is, is it worth it to cast lightning strike/crushing darkness the MOMENT wrath buffs or do you wait until force lightning ends? because i have noticed myself getting wrath twice if i leave force lightning going. Just wanna know which does more dps.

You are wasting force and force regen when you cast crushing darkness or lightning strike right when wrath procs. Finish your force lightning before casting wrath. Since after using you wrath proc, you're most likely casting force lightning again anyways...Also if you're playing full madness and force isnt a problem for you, then you're doing it wrong. Edited by Pwnzorbot

Two things... First, NEVER use lightning strike in a full madness build in PvE, and only very rarely in PvP. You do more damage spamming force lightning than you do with lightning strike even with a wrath proc. The only situation where you might use lightning strike in a full madness build is if you are in PVP and the instant damage will finish the person off.

Second, you will find yourself force starved if you are ending your force lightning channel early. Full madness relies on the force regeneration from force lightning casts.

Second, you will find yourself force starved if you are ending your force lightning channel early. Full madness relies on the force regeneration from force lightning casts.

This.

I haven't played my sorc for a while, came back after a month or something and did a fp. I always cancelled force lightnening as soon as I got wrath and I was completely perplexed how fast my force got used up. I spend a lot of time just standing around doing nothing and waiting until I had enough force to cast force lightning. So now I try not to cancel it, at least not in long boss fights.

Its not just about force management, your dps goes down when you clip your Force Lightning. Always let it finish before you cast anything else. At times it may feel wrong as things come off cooldown mid-cast, but lots of number crunching have shown that you are better off finishing every FL channel. Note that this means that you need to let it finish totally before you cast the your dots or a CD with wrath because all of these will clip the last tick of FL if you cast them before at the end of your channel. Similar to this is that you should never renew a dot while it is still up. I used to clip my FL and renew my dots when they are low but not finished, and when I stopped I picked up a surprising amount of dps. And contrary to the poster above, you should only have force management issues if you are casting lighting storm. Madness is force negative, but not enough that you will have problems on any raid boss where you are not doing AoE damage. This may not be as true for PvP, I'm not sure.