SWTOR Holiday Update

CourtneyWoods

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even on inactive accounts, the bulk of characters renamed will be under level 10, and no character level 30 or higher will be renamed

Great.

So the inactive lvl37 character that received my name during the transfers (and has not gained one level during the last 15 month) won't lose its name...

Great.

So the inactive lvl37 character that received my name during the transfers (and has not gained one level during the last 15 month) won't lose its name...

That does knife stink but there should be some cut off in case people come back and want to play

Stop calling it an expansion you are not expanding any existing content you are putting in a whole new game type instead of giving people real content that they paid for

Someone is taking the 'pay nothing' idea entirely too seriously. If you pay nothing... it means you aren't paying...

No idea why that has to be spelled out...

Stop calling it an expansion you are not expanding any existing content you are putting in a whole new game type instead of giving people real content that they paid for

1: They can call it what they want.

2: It's an expansion because it expands the game mechanics, adding a new activity type. That is pretty classic for expansions.

3: The Czerka planet and Oricon are both expansions of existing content. You didn't call either of those expansions.

Conclusion: Your opinions are inconsistent and (thankfully) do not define reality.

They call it an expansion. They ARE expanding the space game to include PvP.

1: They can call it what they want.

2: It's an expansion because it expands the game mechanics, adding a new activity type. That is pretty classic for expansions.

3: The Czerka planet and Oricon are both expansions of existing content. You didn't call either of those expansions.

Conclusion: Your opinions are inconsistent and (thankfully) do not define reality.

Actually, by your logic, Bioware is inconsistent, making you inconsistent, and him consistent. Not that I agree with him, but your logic is beyond faulty. :p

Actually, by your logic, Bioware is inconsistent, making you inconsistent, and him consistent. Not that I agree with him, but your logic is beyond faulty. :p

Not to tread too far down the road of arguing formal logic, but: No. You've made false equivalence assumptions. Since you haven't actually explained yourself, I'll assume one of these explains your objection:

1: Bioware is allowed to set names for its releases. There is no requirement that these follow the perceptions of users. There is no requirement that they follow a perceptible pattern. There is no requirement that two releases which have similar content must be named the same way. This is actually consistent, as it is a result of the fact that they are allowed to set names for their releases.

2: Following from Point 1: A release that includes features commonly found in expansions can be easily justified to be an expansion. The same holds for the contrapositive: Releases which aren't called expansions can have features commonly found in expansions (ie: Just because you include a expansion-like feature doesn't mean you must be called an expansion). The absolutes in both cases are demonstrably false on their faces: An expansion must have only expansion-worthy features and Non-expansion-worthy features must be the only features in non-expansion releases.

...And I think we've gone far enough to prove the point. Back to discussing why the Holiday Update doesn't have any holiday content (a continuation of the "Why doesn't the Summer of SWTOR have any game changes involving summer?" discussion).

Not to tread too far down the road of arguing formal logic, but: No. You've made false equivalence assumptions. Since you haven't actually explained yourself, I'll assume one of these explains your objection:

1: Bioware is allowed to set names for its releases. There is no requirement that these follow the perceptions of users. There is no requirement that they follow a perceptible pattern. There is no requirement that two releases which have similar content must be named the same way. This is actually consistent, as it is a result of the fact that they are allowed to set names for their releases.

2: Following from Point 1: A release that includes features commonly found in expansions can be easily justified to be an expansion. The same holds for the contrapositive: Releases which aren't called expansions can have features commonly found in expansions (ie: Just because you include a expansion-like feature doesn't mean you must be called an expansion). The absolutes in both cases are demonstrably false on their faces: An expansion must have only expansion-worthy features and Non-expansion-worthy features must be the only features in non-expansion releases.

...And I think we've gone far enough to prove the point. Back to discussing why the Holiday Update doesn't have any holiday content (a continuation of the "Why doesn't the Summer of SWTOR have any game changes involving summer?" discussion).

You hide your ignorance behind lines and lines of text containing all the right words but no real meaning whatsoever. My point, had you actually chosen to read it instead of skim it, was that your "conclusion" was entirely false.

You claimed that Galactic Starfighter was an expansion (which it is, because Bioware called it one). You also, however, claim that CZ-198 and Oricon are expansions which, while technically they do expand the content, were never designated as such.

You then say that his opinions are inconsistent... which really isn't relevant to anything else you've just said. He disagreed with GS being an expansion, which is a fairly valid point to make. After all, it does not add a new tier of gear, it does not add a new planet, it does not raise the level cap, and it does not even raise the Game Version to 3.0.

That said, to the best of my knowledge, he has never described CZ-198 and Oricon as expansions. Thus, he is consistent in his belief that neither of them were expansions. The fact that you don't like his consistency is not his problem, and it's not my problem. It's your problem. E pluribus unum...

Edited by idnewton

You claimed that Galactic Starfighter was an expansion (which it is, because Bioware called it one). You also, however, claim that CZ-198 and Oricon are expansions which, while technically they do expand the content, were never designated as such.

You misread my text. I was pointing out that mmjarec defined an expansion as anything that added to existing content, but refused to call Oricon or CZ-198 expansions. Thus, mmjarec's idea of what an expansion is excludes both releases that fail to add to existing content, and releases that only add to existing content. The "you" in point 3 is mmjarec. I never called Oricon or CZ-198 expansions, I just said they expanded existing content to point out mmjarec's hypocrisy.

You and I seem to disagree about how much we agree. From my point of view, we agree.

They added Makeb and people complained since you had to pay for it and demanded new free content... So they add the NEW SSSP for FREE and people complain because suddenly it's not an "expansion" since it is new content and not updating old content with "new" (not sure what new content is to you since expanding existing content isn't an expansion and want only old content but new).

Who cares what they call it? It can be an expansion, it can be a patch, it can be an add on, it can be an update... what does it matter what word they use?

What matters is, when are we getting the Rakghoul and Chevin events back? I'm not gonna spend hours getting my Dreadseed and Star Forager armours if I can't get Sharp Dresser anyway.

So the reason why we don't have holiday events is that they would break the lore. Imagine pumpkins or Christmas garlands in Star Wars...

Yet we get a pumpkin meditation chamber, yet we got a vehicle with Christmas decorations. So it's ok to "break our immersion" when it comes to CM stuffs, but it's no longer ok when it comes to events? Who are you kidding?

Just admit that you are lazy.

Edited by demotivator

So the reason why we don't have holiday events is that they would break the lore. Imagine pumpkins or Christmas garlands in Star Wars...

Yet we get a pumpkin meditation chamber, yet we got a vehicle with Christmas decorations. So it's ok to "break our immersion" when it comes to CM stuffs, but it's no longer ok when it comes to events? Who are you kidding?

Just admit that you are lazy.

A fitting name for such an ignorant comment. Pumpkin meditation chamber? Pathetic. Pathetic and desperate. Go whine about something more relevant.

A fitting name for such an ignorant comment. Pumpkin meditation chamber? Pathetic. Pathetic and desperate. Go whine about something more relevant.

Actually, I take that back. I assumed you were referring to the black meditation chamber, unaware of the fact that there literally is a pumpkin meditation chamber. That's still pathetic, but on them instead of you. My bad.

You misread my text. I was pointing out that mmjarec defined an expansion as anything that added to existing content, but refused to call Oricon or CZ-198 expansions. Thus, mmjarec's idea of what an expansion is excludes both releases that fail to add to existing content, and releases that only add to existing content. The "you" in point 3 is mmjarec. I never called Oricon or CZ-198 expansions, I just said they expanded existing content to point out mmjarec's hypocrisy.

You and I seem to disagree about how much we agree. From my point of view, we agree.

Wait I thought CZ-198 and Oricon was apart of The Rise of the Hutt Cartel expansion..considering that this past year has been developing the rise of the hutt cartel expansion. I am agreeing with you for the most part. However, I felt your post was in error because you failed to mention they were part of the current development cycle (Rise of The Hutt Cartel)

Just like all the updates that happen starting next month with the Galactic Starfighter expansion pre-release. They will all be a part of the Galactic Starfighter Expansion. So all next year anything added will be a part of the Galactic Starfighter expansion. I am not disagreeing with you, just pointing out an error.

As for saying Galactic Starfighter is not an expansion...well obvious troll is obvious. It seems like Bioware has decided to call development cycles expansions. Everything that happens between December 3rd, 2013 and December 3rd, 2014.. Will be in support of that expansion...I believe my point was made.

With Rise of The Hutt Cartel pretty much complete, I am excited for 2014 as far as playing SWTOR,,,I may pay for a yearly subscription or at least be a sub for 90% of this year, With Rise of the Hutt Cartel not really giving me a reason beyond wz access that is easily paid for on the GTN, to sub Galactic Starfigther gives me more reason to sub.

So hears to another year of SWTOR, new pvp options, with the start of season one more ways the storyline can evolve with the players evolving the story not npc's. How would pvp expand the story..well..umm..EVE Online...Different game concept universe etc. But it is a pretty successful game. What makes it successful is not the npc storyline, (there is none) but the fact the actions of the players evolve the storyline. Something that Bioware can emulate. Considering a majority of their games come with ways for the community to expand and add to the world. This is what has made Bioware's games last and very playable for a long time is this fact. Look at the DA and NWN communities. NWN is a very old game that people still play and add to the game. So it is inevitable that the community of SWTOR has some way in helping the story of the entire galaxy continue.

I am sticking to my suggestion and belief that something like ST:O's Forge system that allows for player created events to be played. It will help keep the pvers and pvpers happy. As the development team can focus on expanding the game adding a new mechanic and eventually finding a way to implement it into the "world". Adding new content and aspects how they wish. The PvErs stay happy because there can be constant new pve stuff based in this system with the devs not having to waste the time with testing the scripting etc. Have an in-game editor not allow for a server upload when a script has errors, causing the player creating the content to debug the script and do it again. Then they can see how difficult this actually is. The end result will probably have to be like a biweekly purge or an approval based system. Where at the end of an allotted time period if the content is not approved by the devs, is deleted to keep the extra server load/bugs to a minimum.

This should also cut the complaining by that base that they feel like the redheaded stepchild when the past year has been devoted to pve.... (some people like to complain like the crazy dude that wants to "play the game how it was meant to be played." Complain about anything. When the simple solution is not an added feature that allows you to decline the event. When there is already something in place for that..it is called f2p/preferred.)

This game for an mmo is in the early stages. Compared to most single player games it is old, but mmo's really don't start working very well until after several years. This past year has been amazing, I am keeping an open mind about this year. Worst case scenario is that the new space pvp allows me to fight in a starfighter in space against other players. Which I would be completely happy with, others would not be..Which is why I am trying to give positive feedback and giving ideas that could be useful in keeping the whiners from affecting this game in a negative way.

Edited by enkilleridos
clarified some parts