5 Ships to choose from - enough? / Not Enough?

Storm-Cutter

Since we have a new map, and some focus back on GSF I was wondering whether anyone feels strongly about having more ships to select going into a match.

As a primary scout pilot, I have 3 on my bar, a light agile fast-capper, a more tanky all-rounder build and a support ship - Which means limited choices for the other 2 spots. It's kinda been fine up until now, but with recent changes, its often good to have a ship you're working on, or trying new builds on, which means your choices for the last position have to be weighed very carefully. Am I alone in this or does anyone feel its time for a wider ship selection?

Thoughts? Comments?

-Enjoyed the new map BTW. - something new always welcome :)

Edited by Storm-Cutter

I have always wanted to be able to enlarge the ship bar, or gain access to a dom bar and a TDM bar. Drako has mentioned that hiding selections prematch from all players could be nice. I like the idea of having two slots be "hidden" so the enemy team can't see what you queued as well (like it would be obvious if you have a ship there or not, but not what that ship is until you have flown it in that match).

Basically, the bar is a real part of the game, and its implementation is more "what ships are in your hangar", and I'd like to see a bit more recognition of its role.

Anyway, buying extra bar slots for fleet req seems like a good idea to me. You'd still need to keep it limited, but I think seven slots would be great.

Maybe it would be a lot of technical effort for little play gain, I don't know.

Yup. Fleet req, credits, CCs, UCs, almost any currency. 7 slots seems to be a good compromise. - Then if you get far ahead in a match you can swap to something you're not so familiar with or need the req for or just want to test a new build.....

OR let us select our five at the map-and-players screen. - With 5 tagged favouries auto selected, but with a choice to swap 1 or 2 out.

I'd love to have the ability to have a few more ships on my bar, or being able to swap some out mid-match. I'd also love if the other team can't see what was on our bars at all. Our team obviously can still see, but let the other team be kept in the dark until they see us flying. I think it would make GSF matches more interesting.

There are ships I wouldn't fly in a TDM but would in a DOM, but I never know what I'm gonna get so I'm forced to keep them on my bar and find them useless (to me) when I end up in a match I know I won't use them in, limiting my choices. That is my reasoning for wanting a few extra spaces or being able to swap them out for other ships I own. :D

I thought after the recent changes everyone ONLY had fighters on the bar. Bar is big enough for that.
For DOM I fly Scouts and Bombers, for TDM I fly Strikes and Gunships. Mostly.

Anyways...

From my previous post about swappable components, I'd still like to see another Strike option that doesn't use it (I fly Clarion/Imperator (?)) and although I'm getting better at swapping out my railguns, I might still prefer a gunship that has a regular System affect instead of a railgun swap.

I'm not sure what would be a good addition for Scouts or Bombers.

Edited by LordFell

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It may be enough. I'm assume the goal isn't to have the perfect ship for every situation, and that you are supposed to choose some to narrow that down to what is likely, or what bothers you.

That being said, I do think that it could be higher than 5. I would certainly be interested in a way to get it to 6 or even 7. I'd also be very interested in more cartel ships, so I could double up on a favorite ship sometimes.

I think the 5 ship limit is good for the game. It forces pilots to make choices, and thus offers more tactical decisions.

Giving experienced pilots a bigger selection so they can get the perfect mix makes it even harder for solo and less experienced pilots. For instance, if someone wants to have a Clarion for remote slicing, maybe they won't have room for a tensor scout. You should not be able to have everything all the time.