thesadplanet

Skip to 9:30 for extra lulz.

Stuff promised at guild summit:

Cross Server Queueing

Guild vs Guild Support

Warzones with larger player counts than 8v8

An actual rework of Ilum Open World PvP

Incentives for Open World Pvp

2 years later: sorry guys cross server warzones are not on the roadmap would be too hard to do.

LOL

Noob question: there can't be any legal action taken against them for literally lying to their player base about upcoming content, is there?

You are stupid. There is a difference between blatantly lying (i.e you know what you are saying isn't true) and having plans to do something while having to cancel them when context changes dramatically (i.e 70% of the devs get fired and the game goes f2p).

Noob question: there can't be any legal action taken against them for literally lying to their player base about upcoming content, is there?

they did not lie, they announced their plans, the problem is those plans fell through in the worst possible ways, but you can't sue someone if they were honestly not lying at the time and honestly thought that all that stuff was on its way.

Edited by Sangrar

No I dont think there can be. He was talking about long term goals.

However, the 1.2 RWZ debacle would maybe have some grounds for legal action, b/c a ton of people resubbed in preparation for RWZ, and then it was yanked literally 11 hours before the update was supposed to hit Live.

they did not lie, they announced their plans, the problem is those plans fell through in the worst possible ways, but you can't sue someone if they were honestly not lying at the time and honestly thought that all that stuff was on its way.

Actually you can sue someone for anything. It just doesn't mean that you will win

You're all pretty much right of course. Still, it's not like they only indicated that such things were coming in the long term- for some of the features, they literally said that we would have them in 1.2/1.3. Also, it's not like things outside of EA's control caused plans to change. They fired devs to cut expenses and went F2P to start bringing the CM revenue because all they see is $.

Promise lots of content to keep interest and subs up>fire most of your devs and claim "sorry, plans change, s*** happens guys">profit???

I guess what I'm saying is.... it WAS lying to their player base, because they a made premeditated decision to make the layoffs and F2P. They knew that was coming, told us they'd be able to provide lots of content, then weren't able to deliver because of said premeditated decision. They made a promise they KNEW they couldn't keep.

Edited by JediMasterSLC

ew such a sterotypical american attitude, disgusting

Edited by bannsider

I guess what I'm saying is.... it WAS lying to their player base, because they a made premeditated decision to make the layoffs and F2P. They knew that was coming, told us they'd be able to provide lots of content, then weren't able to deliver because of said premeditated decision. They made a promise they KNEW they couldn't keep.

its not a lie, its a broken promise and devastating decision, but then again they were at a point in time where servers started ghosting out so pvp became close to impossible (ever wait 45 minutes to an hour and a half for an 8v8 que? cause I have, and that was on a good day on Rakata Mind Prison server prior to its shutdown), that was doing a lot of damage, and still as a business, they had to recoup losses by rushing f2p and cartel market a lot sooner than planned, but that meant less resources put into the game because lets be honest, if you are a logic-minded executive, do you divert more resources to a game that's future is at that moment uncertain, or do you set it up so it has a good chance of survival at least long enough to geta good return on investment?

not saying those guys were right at all ( I was really hoping for better open world one day especially), but still, realize the guys who made those promises probably meant it, the problem is, those guys no longer work here, and the new guys are technically not obligated to follow through on everything.

Edited by Sangrar

its not a lie, its a broken promise and devastating decision, but then again they were at a point in time where servers started ghosting out so pvp became close to impossible (ever wait 45 minutes to an hour and a half for an 8v8 que? cause I have, and that was on a good day on Rakata Mind Prison server prior to its shutdown), that was doing a lot of damage, and still as a business, they had to recoup losses by rushing f2p and cartel market a lot sooner than planned, but that meant less resources put into the game because lets be honest, if you are a logic-minded executive, do you divert more resources to a game that's future is at that moment uncertain, or do you set it up so it has a good chance of survival at least long enough to geta good return on investment?

not saying those guys were right at all ( I was really hoping for better open world one day especially), but still, realize the guys who made those promises probably meant it, the problem is, those guys no longer work here, and the new guys are technically not obligated to follow through on everything.

Yeah, my dead server was Nadd's Sarcophagus. There were periods of over a week with no pops on pub side- server merges fixed that, not F2P. Let's be clear that I'm not at all calling the devs in the video liars. I'm calling the executives liars for allowing their devs to promise such appealing content, with the knowledge that they'd be firing them with the month (allowing the company to make promises they knew were not gonna be able to be kept). Btw, a broken promise = a lie.

Guys, it's all EA's fault...They got greedy, which is nothing new for them, and when they didn't get their money immediately they went and threw a tantrum like a spoil child who hasn't gotten his way...

EA forced the game out early and well before it was ready...Then during their tantrum they went on a firing spree which set the game back even further. If people are unsubbing and the game isn't ready then you keep on as many of the devs on as possible to get the damned game finished so less people unsub.

Now after they started getting money back from the CM...Well, the smart thing to do would have been to bring in more devs to help push out content faster and give us the nice things we where promised...Instead, they tell us we can't have nice things...

With patience, EA could have seen an extra big return on their investment...

Lets just hope the next company that gets a license to make a SW MMO doesn't get bought out by EA or the license gets revoked the second EA tries to acquire and ruin another SW MMO.

Guys, it's all EA's fault...They got greedy, which is nothing new for them, and when they didn't get their money immediately they went and threw a tantrum like a spoil child who hasn't gotten his way...

EA forced the game out early and well before it was ready...Then during their tantrum they went on a firing spree which set the game back even further. If people are unsubbing and the game isn't ready then you keep on as many of the devs on as possible to get the damned game finished so less people unsub.

Now after they started getting money back from the CM...Well, the smart thing to do would have been to bring in more devs to help push out content faster and give us the nice things we where promised...Instead, they tell us we can't have nice things...

With patience, EA could have seen an extra big return on their investment...

Lets just hope the next company that gets a license to make a SW MMO doesn't get bought out by EA or the license gets revoked the second EA tries to acquire and ruin another SW MMO.

This. Btw, EA has the rights to SW games for the next 10 years. gg.

I don't believe that is an exclusive deal for ONLY EA to make star wars games though. That seems to me, more of a green light for EA to produce star wars games for the next 10 years. While Disney is still free to outsource other star wars games to other companies as they see fit.

For instance, SOE just re-trademarked the name "Star Wars Galaxies" recently, and are working on a new MMO with John Smedley (which everyone PRESUMES will be a possible SWG2). Disney, who still owns the rights to Star Wars could theoretically give them rights to make star wars games as well. Not just EA.

But I may be mistaken. I don't know the actual contracts, fine print or stipulations, obviously.

Edited by SOULCASTER

They have been hit by the worst legal action.

Subscribers have taken care with swift justice, therefore instead of several millions subs they have the current abysmal numbers. Tens of millions worth of a perfectly legal "action".

I believe that they actually planned all that stuff, so it's not technically a lie, but obviously the game developed in a completely different direction.

What is in part related to that and what I'm wondering now, is any of the guys on the panel even still working there anymore?

not lying to the subscriber base, however there are legalities surrounding intentionally lying or misleading investors, so if anyone happens to own stock in EA / BW then perhaps..

I don't believe that is an exclusive deal for ONLY EA to make star wars games though. That seems to me, more of a green light for EA to produce star wars games for the next 10 years. While Disney is still free to outsource other star wars games to other companies as they see fit. For instance, SOE just re-trademarked the name "Star Wars Galaxies" recently, and are working on a new MMO with John Smedley (which everyone PRESUMES will be a possible SWG2).

oh boy Smedley can utterly destroy another SWG! how exciting we can party like it's 2005 all over again :)