Companions in Family Tree?

Ellisj

This just dawned on me... As a Bounty Hunter I married Mako. Wouldn't it make sense to put companions in the family tree as well? It wouldn't make sense to me to marry a companion then have a separate spouse in the game just because it doesn't allow you to choose companions in the family tree.

This just dawned on me... As a Bounty Hunter I married Mako. Wouldn't it make sense to put companions in the family tree as well? It wouldn't make sense to me to marry a companion then have a separate spouse in the game just because it doesn't allow you to choose companions in the family tree.

Depends on how you want your story. For some (if not most) rp-ers want to crete their own stories with their characters and their alts and the other players. Adding companions to the mix doesn't really add anything substantial for those players unlike having their "brother" character that is another player be part of that legacy tree.

Its interesting but I can see the problem with coding that (the extensive legacy trees would be difficult to code imo).

I personally look at the story BW made as a separate rp narrative in the same setting from my SI one (although the characters act as close to how they would realistically act). Therefore, I assume it is like an alternate reality from my rp.

For players who want their tree to reflect the actual story and such that BW crafted, then yeah, I agree that Mako and certain characters should be there. I think both options should be made available.

Oh awesome :). At least they thought about it. I just don't like the idea of me having an affair in-game... Was never the kind of person for that. Not that it bothers me in a video game, but I just find it makes no sense for me to cheat just because I want to fill in spouse on the family tree lol.

I agree - It was disappointing to see that companions couldn't be inserted as spouses.

One thing at a time. Something like this is a big undertaking so I can see why they might want to limit it to just PCs from the start. Plus, it gives them something to use to get players excited later.

I honestly wish that I could have companions as a way of knowing other characters. (i.e. not just as spouses).

i.e. I have an imperial agent (chiss) and a bounty hunter (rattataki). I have no plausible way for them to know each other. They're not related, as they're different species. Also, I'm fairly sure that they're not best friends or anything. But it would make perfect sense for me that they know each other in some way through one of the agent's companions (Kaliyo), as she's rattataki and even if it's a bit goofy, at least it's more plausible than that they're sisters or something...

Even better, I'd love it if some of the major NPC's could be thrown in somehow, as some of the degrees of separation in my mind involve people other than companions. Not sure if I'll ever get this option, but I will dream.

I put my Trooper and my BH in my tree as 'married,' but in the vague story in my head they're exes. Perhaps I should put them as rivals? heh heh.

Anyway thinking that the marriage was in the past makes the family tree work with the character's companion relationships.

Edited by Pubsam

What about other players in the family tree? My gf plays SWTOR and I would even consider putting her in the family tree if it were possible.

That's another thing they've said they're looking into for a future update.

And one I'm looking forward to immensely.

I agree on this. I too played the Mako relationship all the way to marriage. Not much gained from that which I've noticed, but that's a whole other discussion. The matching allowed are kind of weird to me right now though. My BH is a Ratt and, I put him married to my sniper, a Chiss. I can have my other alts put in, which are all different species, as their children. So, a Ratt and a Chiss make a Twe-lik? oO

I see this as a start to a system that will be much, much more involved and better. Maybe even something that will be incorperated on most future MMOs. It seems like a mechanic along the lines of "Duh, why didn't we think of that!".