Consolidated Post: APAC/Oceanic Server Concerns

Cheezfriend

@Mowermanx...I agree with you 100% mate. I even PvP on Harbinger with that 200ms lag...I'll never be elite but it really isn't that bad. You learn to adapt. You may be right about Gav people being happy...the 15 of them that are left based on my last few logins. :p

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Mowermanx...I agree with you 100% mate. I even PvP on Harbinger with that 200ms lag...I'll never be elite but it really isn't that bad. You learn to adapt. You may be right about Gav people being happy...the 15 of them that are left based on my last few logins. :p

I think you meant M D Nala?

Anyway, its quite odd how it all turned out.

When first opened, nala was the most populated, with heavy showing quite regularly, next was dal, and gav being the least, then after a few months it changed to dal being the most then nala, and again gav at the rear, then over the last few months, gav has been a steady "standard" population(even as I type this its showing standard 1.57pm on a weekday) and then dal which is "just" surviving with growing wait time for wz's and fp's, and lastly nala, which is on life support.

The sad point is the ping is high if you are HK/SG/TW on the APAC servers I get a better ping from West Coast Servers. As it is now, 20-30 of us moved from APAC back at 1.2. We are still there and just run in their mornings.
Agreed, ping to the APAC servers is (roughly) double that to the West Coast servers. It'd be great if they moved the servers to SG instead, it's more centralised, so everyone in APAC benefits instead of only AU/NZ (pipe dream).

LOL, in your dreams...

Learn some geography buddy.

NYC is the largest city in US, and has 8 and a quarter million.

Remind me again, how is that bigger than 22 and a half million. Lmao.

You are also so wrong on so many points in your post. CBF re-quoting, but if you think ping doesn't matter in PvE you are quite bad. Small example - The calibration droids on Kephess fight HM EC, they have a 1 second channel of a move that needs to be interrupted. Now, given a ping of 250 ms, this means that by the time that you see the actual bar appear, you have already missed 1 quarter of the opportunity to interrupt this. Factor in that also sending your interrupt back to the server also takes 250 ms, there is also 1 quarter of the opportunity missed.

So this leaves us with the bracket between 0.25 and 0.75. Now, also consider the average human reaction time is about 215 ms, and you are left with a VERY TINY window of opportunity to actually pull off this interrupt.

BUT DONT WORRY GUIZE, PING NOT IMPORTANT IN PVE LAWL.

Learn some geography buddy.

NYC is the largest city in US, and has 8 and a quarter million.

Remind me again, how is that bigger than 22 and a half million. Lmao.

You are also so wrong on so many points in your post. CBF re-quoting, but if you think ping doesn't matter in PvE you are quite bad. Small example - The calibration droids on Kephess fight HM EC, they have a 1 second channel of a move that needs to be interrupted. Now, given a ping of 250 ms, this means that by the time that you see the actual bar appear, you have already missed 1 quarter of the opportunity to interrupt this. Factor in that also sending your interrupt back to the server also takes 250 ms, there is also 1 quarter of the opportunity missed.

So this leaves us with the bracket between 0.25 and 0.75. Now, also consider the average human reaction time is about 215 ms, and you are left with a VERY TINY window of opportunity to actually pull off this interrupt.

BUT DONT WORRY GUIZE, PING NOT IMPORTANT IN PVE LAWL.

haha, sounds like someones a little butthurt. :D

What are you saying? youve never played MMO's before? Im not sure I understand what you mean.

I have. But the only reason I play SWTOR is because of the APAC server ping. If I want a MMO with horrible latency I'll go back to Pandas.

Cheers.

Edited by Chaori

This arguing about ping really is pointless. Some of you want to stay on the Oceanic servers. That's fine but don't expect others to feel the same. Shouting at us about ping isn't going to make us change our minds. What will is a viable population on a server. Ping doesn't mean anything if it takes 2 hours to find a group to take on that boss with a 1 second interrupt. ;)

This arguing about ping really is pointless. Some of you want to stay on the Oceanic servers. That's fine but don't expect others to feel the same. Shouting at us about ping isn't going to make us change our minds. What will is a viable population on a server. Ping doesn't mean anything if it takes 2 hours to find a group to take on that boss with a 1 second interrupt. ;)

High population doesn't mean anything if you can't compete on the same level. We are offering solutions to our population that would allow us to keep our latency, whereas you are not.

Edited by Chaori

Have you been on our servers? There is no solution. Who is going to roll a toon on empty servers? Do you really think all the people who have left the game or gone over to US servers are going to come back? Maybe a super server could save the Oceanic servers but I am doubtful. I want the same thing everyone else does in this game...a vibrant game and community. If I can get that with low latency...superb. If not, I'll settle for some lag on a server with people. It's not as if our ideas are going to have any impact on what's going to happen anyways. Bioware will get to this issue on its own schedule... Edited by Bottcobco

Have you been on our servers

If you looked at my signature you would notice that I am.

Who is going to roll a toon on empty servers?

I don't know, why don't you ask one of the hundreds of people on the starting planets why they rolled on Master Dar'Nala?

Edited by Chaori

This conversation is dragging us off the subject I think. We all want great population and low latency. To some one is more important than the other. The real issue is the lack of response by Bioware. Maybe after a few weeks of FTP they will decide based on how many of the new players on the starter planets keep playing. I admittedly have based my opinions on the numbers on the fleet...which on Gav are quite bad.

Going to stop contributing to this discussion. Feeling quite negative about the way the Oceanic servers have been handled and don't want to poison the discussion or take it out on others in the forum. I hope things work out for these servers in the end.

I originally had concerns about server merges as I thought it would exceed the limit of people allowed on one server and create massive queue times, but since Harbringer and Pot5 etc are having multiple instances of every single planet including 800 on fleet, I have absolutely no doubts that this is the best option for us now.

Really not that bad? You can't interrupt casts of 1 second whereas on APAC servers you can interrupt at 0.2. That doesn't include the infamous melee lag where you're standing on the person yet you can't hit them half the time.

How do you propose a player adapts to that? Move to the US for better ping?

Edited by Sinrei
Typo

I originally had concerns about server merges as I thought it would exceed the limit of people allowed on one server and create massive queue times, but since Harbringer and Pot5 etc are having multiple instances of every single planet including 800 on fleet, I have absolutely no doubts that this is the best option for us now.

Server merge is our best option. We had our small influx of players to check out 1.5 but they will bleed out again and we will be back to where we are. They really need to combine our pop becuase all that are left are ppl whi want to play the game, which 99% are subscribers. It seems to me that it would make good business sense to merge. Ild imagine that one server would be cheaper to run and they would have a healthy subscriber number to support it.

Really not that bad? You can't interrupt casts of 1 second whereas on APAC servers you can interrupt at 0.2. That doesn't include the infamous melee lag where you're standing on the person yet you can't hit them half the time.

How do you purpose a player adapts to that? Move to the US for better ping?

well, we do have 200ms ping science launch connected to US server,

we still play,

but at APAC we got 593ms ping.

well, we do have 200ms ping science launch connected to US server,

we still play,

but at APAC we got 593ms ping.

yup, and why I re-rolled on a west coast server back at 1.2. When they kept saying server transfers were comming I knew that was the time to re-roll. My ping to APAC was always above 400ms that is terrible living in asia and with a fiberoptic cable to the house. On west coast I come in below 100ms even I check east coast and I could get below 150ms.

The population on the APAC servers left for many reasons but one of them is half of asia has terrible lag on APAC servers and not on US servers. None of us want to play out of our timezones, we are forced to if we want a playable game. Playing on a US server in the morning most times lives us with kids to play with, thankfully for us some others from APAC have rolled there too.