Too much Strength can cause diminishing returns?

YuuYuu

I'm probably gonna sound very noobish.... but I had a guildie who said that stacking too much on your base stat can cause diminishing returns... I wasn't very sure about this, since I'm still needing a few of the new augments on my gear, and my strength is sitting at almost 3k (with stim and buffs).

So question is, is it ok to just stack on Might augments or get Power augments(or any other augments for that matter)?

I'm probably gonna sound very noobish.... but I had a guildie who said that stacking too much on your base stat can cause diminishing returns... I wasn't very sure about this, since I'm still needing a few of the new augments on my gear, and my strength is sitting at almost 3k (with stim and buffs).

So question is, is it ok to just stack on Might augments or get Power augments(or any other augments for that matter)?

So the answer is sort of a "yes and no".

Strength does 2 things for you.

It increases your melee+Force bonus damage, and your melee+Force critical chance.

There is no diminishing return at all on increasing bonus damage via main stat. Each point of Strength adds exactly .2 points to your total bonus damage (which is then multiplied by Mark of Power, meaning that in the end you're getting .21 points of bonus damage per point of Strength).

There *is* a diminishing return to increasing critical chance via main stat, albeit the curve is very flat and the contribution per point is minute (like under .003% critical chance per point of Strength).

Put simply, before 2.0 Strength augments were clear winners up until the absolute pinnacle of optimized gear (where we'd reached the point in the DR curve that Power was becoming more-or-less equal). In 2.0, with a smaller contribution to critical chance, Strength is not a clear cut winner. The math has shown that there is very little difference and that Power augments can actually be slightly better, especially in true 55 gear.

Other than corner cases, it is generally not optimal to augment stats besides Power or Strength, as they are the point-for-point most valuable contributors to DPS. If you have a very specific target for a stat in mind and no way to meet it exactly via mods and enhancements, you could use an augment or two to reach said target, but I can't think of any realistic situation where that is necessary.

Omophorus outlined it very well. For marauders I've leaned towards power augments do to a lack of a main stat boost in the skill tree. But the difference from main stat augmenting vs power augmenting was very small prior to 2.0 and hasn't changed a ton since. As long as you aren't the sorc on Shadowlands fleet augmented with all accuracy augments then you are doing it fine.

When it comes to the mods in your gear, go with the ones with higher power (unlettered deft mods). This is because you are trading around 1 strength for 2 power. In that exchange rate power crushed main stat.

Is there any clear statement around this? I've heard that the deminishing returns on mainstats dont matter until you have around 3700?:rak_02:

That statement was clear.. Please read again..

When it comes to adding Melee/Force Damage/Healing There is 0 Diminishing Returns on Main stat

When it comes to Crit % added.. There is indeed a Diminishing Return..

Now since Power doesn't Even add to Crit the Diminishing Return on Main stat is irrelevant to this argument..

The true question is.. In your "current spec" would you benefit more from 1.5% Crit Chance (main stat) or 30 or so more Bonus Damage (Power)

So the answer is sort of a "yes and no".

Strength does 2 things for you.

It increases your melee+Force bonus damage, and your melee+Force critical chance.

There is no diminishing return at all on increasing bonus damage via main stat. Each point of Strength adds exactly .2 points to your total bonus damage (which is then multiplied by Mark of Power, meaning that in the end you're getting .21 points of bonus damage per point of Strength).

There *is* a diminishing return to increasing critical chance via main stat, albeit the curve is very flat and the contribution per point is minute (like under .003% critical chance per point of Strength).

Put simply, before 2.0 Strength augments were clear winners up until the absolute pinnacle of optimized gear (where we'd reached the point in the DR curve that Power was becoming more-or-less equal). In 2.0, with a smaller contribution to critical chance, Strength is not a clear cut winner. The math has shown that there is very little difference and that Power augments can actually be slightly better, especially in true 55 gear.

Other than corner cases, it is generally not optimal to augment stats besides Power or Strength, as they are the point-for-point most valuable contributors to DPS. If you have a very specific target for a stat in mind and no way to meet it exactly via mods and enhancements, you could use an augment or two to reach said target, but I can't think of any realistic situation where that is necessary.

I liked this.