HM Corrupter Zero Sweeping Slash Damage Question

We're just getting revved up on progression and made our first couple attempts on Corrupter Zero HM Sunday night. My Vanguard co-tank takes him first, and we swap at first adds. Didn't really get past that in part b/c I took some massive damage:

Torparse Log

21:54:20.561 Corruptor Zero's Sweeping Slash hits Kristioli for 11222 kinetic damage, causing 11222 threat.

21:54:21.433 Corruptor Zero's Sweeping Slash hits Kristioli for 13466 kinetic damage, causing 13466 threat.

and

Torparse Log

21:55:49.756 Corruptor Zero's Sweeping Slash glances Kristioli for 8572 kinetic damage, causing 8572 threat.

21:55:50.518 Corruptor Zero's Sweeping Slash hits Kristioli for 17955 kinetic damage, causing 17955 threat.

Based on experience how many stacks of the debuff would I have had to take that amount of damage? Initial unmitigated Sweeping Slashes hit for ~9k, and I don't think I got above 3. I'm sure there were mistakes made that can be found in these short logs, first pulls and all, but just curious if this was likely a tank swap mechanic failure or if that amount of damage just happens in <30sec on the boss.

Edited by bdatt

We're just getting revved up on progression and made our first couple attempts on Corrupter Zero HM Sunday night. My Vanguard co-tank takes him first, and we swap at first adds. Didn't really get past that in part b/c I took some massive damage:

Torparse Log

21:54:20.561 Corruptor Zero's Sweeping Slash hits Kristioli for 11222 kinetic damage, causing 11222 threat.

21:54:21.433 Corruptor Zero's Sweeping Slash hits Kristioli for 13466 kinetic damage, causing 13466 threat.

and

Torparse Log

21:55:49.756 Corruptor Zero's Sweeping Slash glances Kristioli for 8572 kinetic damage, causing 8572 threat.

21:55:50.518 Corruptor Zero's Sweeping Slash hits Kristioli for 17955 kinetic damage, causing 17955 threat.

Based on experience how many stacks of the debuff would I have had to take that amount of damage? Initial unmitigated Sweeping Slashes hit for ~9k, and I don't think I got above 3. I'm sure there were mistakes made that can be found in these short logs, first pulls and all, but just curious if this was likely a tank swap mechanic failure or if that amount of damage just happens in <30sec on the boss.

It's supposed to hit that hard.

Being a vanguard and not having many cooldowns you'd want to use a relic+adrenal for sweeping slashes if you are below 30k hp/healers are stressed etc. Maybe your energy shield. You should have around a 40-42k health pool so taking that 26k damage shouldn't really be a problem.

Edited by dakisback

Yes, 8 man hard mode. And I'm a shadow (I suppose mentioning my vanguard co-tank was irrelevant). 41k health and ~2350 stat budget not counting relic proc contribution. I'll watch the stacks better tonight, hopefully.

The goal for our guild on the initial tank swap is three stacks. We then swap off each other whenever our stacks fall off to keep them as low as possible on the tank with aggro.

I have tanked (Powertech), healed (Operative healing an Assassin tank) and DPSed the HM version of this fight. Getting hit for 25K-35K is something that can occasionally happen even when you're trying to do everything right. Our strategy involves having our Operative healer focus on the tanks and our Sorcerer healer deal with the rest of the group. Obviously both healers will help out anyone who needs it, but we've found that having the Operative healer try to keep the tank with aggro "pegged at 100%" prevents the spike deaths. Yes, there are wasted overheals, but we clear the fight and overheals cost less than repair bills. lol

There are several spike-damage boss fights in hard mode Dread Fortress and Dread Palace where our Operative healer tries to follow the "peg at 100%" strategy:

Corruptor Zero, as discussed above

Dread Master Tyrans, through there's a lot of damage that's going out to everyone in this fight

Dread Master Raptus, Phase 3 after the second challenges have been completed. I'm looking at you "Driving Thrust!"

Powertech tank here and this guy rips me in half at anything over 2 stacks. The other tank (Jugg) and I usually swap at 3 stacks to minimize the big hits being a problem. Also, I've found that the healers cleansing the DoTs from Chest Laser and Heavy Slash goes a long way as well.

Quick question about the bleed. It comes at the end of heavy slash, a m/r attack. I assume Resilience will cleanse it (hadn't yet so totally missed that mechanic) along with healer tech cleanse, but will it resist the bleed (ignoring the 5% failure)? It would if it's considered a separate f/t attack but perhaps not if it's tied to the initial m/r attack. Edited by bdatt

The stacks are inconsistent. Its best to swap when your stacks fall off or if neither has stacks when the one tanking him gets a stack. Also there is a dot Zero puts on the tank who has him that doesn't help things which should be cleansed. Basically if you try to swap on stacks something is going to get screwed up or one of you is going to die. Plus I can see taking those hits as a shadow at 3-4 stacks. Plus make sure the tanks don't get caught in the gravity field, or pop hold the line if they do get caught.

Quick question about the bleed. It comes at the end of heavy slash, a m/r attack. I assume Resilience will cleanse it (hadn't yet so totally missed that mechanic), but will it resist the bleed (ignoring the 5% failure)? It would if it's considered a separate f/t attack but perhaps not if it's tied to the initial m/r attack.

As far as I know tho I may be mistaken the bleed on the End of Heavy Slash is a Force dot, and the Burn on the end of chest laser is a Tech dot.

As for stack, my guild swaps on 3, sometimes tho it goes from 2 to 3 then quickly 4, it's not a set rate for certain.

It can be a bit spikey at times, I dont do it personally but I recall someone saying that you can run out of heavy slash and miss most of the damage, but I dont, it can be risky as Ive notice when ever you start o move him it can cause problems with the Mine registering on him and killing people.

Edited by Botho

CZ just hits that hard, at about 3-4 stacks you will start taking some big hits. We usually just have our tanks swap right away when they hit 4 stacks and were good to go. Also during the phases where adds come out is the best time for tanks to pop their cooldowns. There will be tons of damage going on usually starting with the healers getting nailed by the adds because they will have healing aggro built up before anyone gets to them. It will make the fight easier overall. Dps should use their cooldowns during the add phases as well.

Also during the phases where adds come out is the best time for tanks to pop their cooldowns. There will be tons of damage going on usually starting with the healers getting nailed by the adds because they will have healing aggro built up before anyone gets to them. It will make the fight easier overall. Dps should use their cooldowns during the add phases as well.

With regards to that, it is possible to get in place and aoe taunt before there actually visable if you time it right as you see them on the radar a while before they land and it seem the taunt can register, the only tanks that cant do this are VG tho because they need to target something to use there aoe taunt, or so ours tells us.

I tank there every week with my guardian and I didnt notice any significant dmg taken. He was hitting pretty hard when he was bugged, Ihad to use all my defensive coolldowns and adrenal. But after fix I dont need any cooldowns. My guardian is now full 78 gear, missing only one set bonus armoring, hp is a bit over 41k. Maybe your healers cant keep up. dont know. We have scoundrel and sage healers and I think this combination works nicely :)

We have my guardian and other tank is a shadow and I didnt noticed any hard hit problems on his side either. We swap at 3 sometimes 4 stacks. But like I siad not big hits. Healers keep us alive, cleanse everything they can cleanse and we kill him very was and easily now when that mine bug is gone. Only thing I am using to help myself is saber reflect when I am the adds.

• 3 months later...
Sorry to necro a bit of an old thread, but what is the consensus on this fight in terms of the overall tests and purpose? To me it seems like a strong heal check, some tank swap/management, and players watching for mechanics. Not sure it's really a DPS race. Doesn't seem like it. Am I off base on that?

Sorry to necro a bit of an old thread, but what is the consensus on this fight in terms of the overall tests and purpose? To me it seems like a strong heal check, some tank swap/management, and players watching for mechanics. Not sure it's really a DPS race. Doesn't seem like it. Am I off base on that?

He does have an enrage timer, I have not personally seen it but a guildie of mine said his Pub side raid group saw it a lot when they learned the fight. The reason they saw it, was they focused on mechanics. As the mechanics in the fight make or break a clear. One thing I do know about his enrage timer is, if your seeing more then four Gravity fields, your going to have a higher chance of seeing enrage.

Healers need to keep the tank that is tanking Zero as high a health as possible. Tanks need to be swapping off as much as possible to keep stacks low and damage output low. And Dps need to be burning down adds in the right order and interrupting the gold (ESPECIALLY the melee one, its self targetted AoE stun can cause a wipe if Zero does a gravity field). Plus the mechanics, knowing when to group and when not to group.

Overall I would say the Zero fight is a mechanics heavy fight and getting them down means you will be able to clear him with ease.

Thanks for the answer.

When you say, "...And Dps need to be burning down adds in the right order and interrupting the gold (ESPECIALLY the melee one," I am wondering what the kill order on adds should be? I think at the moment we are prioritizing Repair Droids and the one that puts out the red circle. Is there more to it than that? I've looked through a lot of guides, but many guides were written ages ago and are vague on the minor details.

Thanks for the answer.

When you say, "...And Dps need to be burning down adds in the right order and interrupting the gold (ESPECIALLY the melee one," I am wondering what the kill order on adds should be? I think at the moment we are prioritizing Repair Droids and the one that puts out the red circle. Is there more to it than that? I've looked through a lot of guides, but many guides were written ages ago and are vague on the minor details.

No, that's pretty much it. Add management ranges from easy to annoying based on raid composition. Things like Fly-by, Mortar Volley and Force quake knock the repair droids to the ground, making them useless during the ability, preventing them from healing at all. If you have 2 of those abilities in your DPS comp, they can basically burn through the rep droids quickly. The gold should be interrupted as much as possible, again, a sentinel would be perfect for this job. Ideally. If it all seems a bit chaotic at first, you can CC the gold, kill the rep droids and strongs, then go back and focus down the lone gold.

The easiest strategy to use for the adds is to have all four DPS destroy the Gold first, using interrupts and hard stuns as appropriate to prevent the red circles from being cast. Then kill the repair droids. Then kill the Silvers. If you have one person cast an AoE to knock the repair droids onto their backs from the start while you're dealing with the Gold, even better.

With all four DPS on the Gold, it is burned down quickly and you have plenty of people able to stop the red circle.

Edited by Levram

Love it. Great suggestions. We'll definitely try some of these.

Related to the adds, how much should the tanks worry about picking up some or all of the adds? I see differing suggestions in some guides, and even in this thread about that.

Love it. Great suggestions. We'll definitely try some of these.

Related to the adds, how much should the tanks worry about picking up some or all of the adds? I see differing suggestions in some guides, and even in this thread about that.

My group usually tank swaps on the adds. The tank that is no longer on CZ AoE taunts, and then after that 6s, it's sort of every man for himself with the few adds that are left. The tank tries to focus mainly on the strong adds, and the others (repair droids/Gold) are dead shortly after the AoE taunt wears off.

And now for a conflicting response. For my guild the tanks have never even looked at the adds except for the one set that shows up during Corruptor Zero's death laser phase, which they will AoE taunt.

Both healers receive guards at the start of the fight, aggro dump on cooldown, and are basically ignored by the adds. The tanks just worry about the boss, their positioning and swapping as soon as their own stacks drop off. DPS kill the Gold while taking some damage from the Silvers, which the healers cover without a problem.