Wait a cottonpicken second here...

Aleeha

How can anyone pick on THAT, and not say anything about the lack of handguards?

What stops 1 guy with a lgihtsaber from clashing it with his adversary, and then running it all the way down to the opponent's fingers? Nothing, there is no guard.

A certain type of Japanese swords lack of hand guards, but that's because they are not used like light sabers, but with a fighting style of "hit and run" without that hollywood nonsense about 2 guys locking sword and looking into eachother's eyes.

TIE fighter engines are almost famouse for the noise they make... And I don't recall ever seeing them in atmosphere in any of the movies. For that matter the laser beams from any of the guns or cannons should be almost invisible in vacuum even if you could get them to work. But that would make for some boring space fight scenes. A lot of things are glossed over scientifically speaking because the other way makes for better theatre.

The plasma is kept contained in the proper shape by an electromagnetic field. The field dissipates upon contact with anything denser than air. So when the lightsaber makes contact with a solid object, the field's dissipation allows the plasma to make contact with the object and start burning it.

The denser and harder the object, the longer it takes for the saber to cut through it. When cutting through something very dense like a thick metal wall, the electromagnetic field will generate resistance instead of the alternative, which is allowing solid matter to enter the field and disrupt the plasma arc, thus shorting the lightsaber out. This is why someone using a lightsaber to cut something dense would feel resistance and progress more slowly.

I can't provide an exact refance, but I seem to recall reading in one of the SW books about a small force field type guard protecting the users hand. Also the blade itself of the saber is hair thin. Several of the books make mention of how almost invisible thin the slice marks are on any lit saber victims. Burned of course. Most of e volume you are seeing is probably ionized air, although how ou get it the color of the crystal inside is another thing. :D

Recall back to movie episode I where Quigon stuck his saber into the blast door and after a few seconds there was dripping molten metal scant inches from his hand. Now there are 2 explanations I accepted for this, one the force field guard of e light saber, or two, he was of a force using family good at energy absorption.

Edited by Dalgorian

Soft Science discussions are pointless, give up now.

Why?

Your primitive scientific background, and the low level of your society's technology, makes the technology and science behind it incomprehensible to you and the misconceptions of your "Physics".

I dunno why I didn't think about this before but I just have to ask - since when does light have the ability to become a solid object with tinsel strength? A beam of light is not a solid object, so with lightsabers is there some rod which then has "energy" around it?

I can see if the energy has enough heat to melt objects as in the Phantom Menace when the jedi sticks his saber into the door and beings to melt it. OK, heat is causing that. Light can generate heat. Makes perfect sense.

However, if a lightsaber hit another lightsaber without some "rod" in the middle they'd just pass through one another.

There's some wonkywoo physics going on here.. ;)

acutly if you wanted a realistic version of a light saber there a you tube vedio that a world renoun physics PH came up with,

a link , it a 3 part video.

i beleive they figure it can not be a "light"saber but rather a plasma saber. this was eiser to contain and adjust.