Galactic Republic/Empire History = Roman History?

Guildrum

So I noticed this a while ago, when I watched the prequels, but learning of KotOR and pre-that lore has only strengthened my theory that the Galactic Empire/Republic's history is based off of that of Ancient Rome. I will go in chronological order.

1. Great Hypserspace War = First Punic War

Rome makes contact with Carthage, and decide it is a threat to Roman existence, and declare war, taking control of Sicily, Sardinia and Corsica.

The Republic makes contact with the Sith, who decide that the Republic is a threat and declare war, results in the Republic nearly wiping out Sith existence.

2. Great Galactic War = Second Punic War

The Carthagians return under a new leader and nearly destroy Rome, but Rome turns it around and ends up defeating Carthage at Zama.

The Republic is surprised by the Sith Empire's return and are nearly destroyed, but are only able to turn the tables enough to get an undesirable peace treaty. Saved from destruction.

3. Presumed third war with Empire = Third Punic War

The Romans destroy Carthage, end of Punic Wars.

The Republic and Empire go to war again, we do not know what happens at the end of the war, but it is presumed the Empire is destroyed, just as the Republic destroyed Carthage.

4. Republic becomes inefficient

It becomes apparent to both Rome and the Galactic Republic that their system is not working as it should.

5. Clone Wars = Series of Civil Wars

A number of Civil Wars of people trying to gain power begins.

The Clone Wars begin, pitting the rebellious Confederacy against the Galactic Republic.

6. Julius Caesar/Palpatine seizes Emperor Title

In the midst of chaos and a non-functioning republic ruled by bureaucrats, a leader seizes power and becomes the Emperor of the known world/galaxy.

7. Empires collapse, pretender Empires rise

The Galactic and Roman Empires end up collapsing, and resulting in a number of other nations claiming to be reincarnations of the Empire. (RL examples, Constantinople, Lombard Kings, Moscow or the "Third Rome".)

Just some speculation, I think it's interesting when one looks at it.

The Civil Wars in Rome didn't take place until after Caesar crossed the Rubicon. That was the first civil war, which was relatively short in comparison. Caesar declared himself dictator for life, but then was assassinated by Brutus and the Liberators. Then the real civil wars began. Caesar, unlike Palpatine, made no attempt to hide his intentions. He felt that he had a right to invade Italy due to the Senate denying him the right to run for Consul (Supreme Chancellor, only there were two of them) in abstention. Specifically Cato (whose sister Caesar was having a torrid affair with). He was unable to return from Gaul in time to make the registration cutoff or something like that :)

Palpatine is more like Hitler, creating a series of crises in order gain powers not intended for him to have, which he then uses to solidify his position as dictator. Also the term "Chancellor" for the head of the Republc, which was also Hitler's title.

Edited by Rikalonius

This really seems stretching it, although it is interesting to think about.

Being a fan of late Roman history, I do feel the urge to comment on seven. The Roman Empire's collapse is nowhere near analogous to the collapse of the Galactic Empire, given that first they split the Empire into the Eastern and Western Empires, which lasted roughly two centuries before the Western empire finally collapsed while the Eastern Empire continued. Calling Constantinople a "pretender" Empire doesn't really fit, as they were less pretending to be a reincarnation as legitimately being a continuation and evolution.

• 1 month later...

I always thought that pre-movie era Empire was a lot like Ancient Rome, moreso than the Third Reich comparison usually made by others. I am currently studying Roman history, and I do see the comparison.

The Civil Wars in Rome didn't take place until after Caesar crossed the Rubicon. That was the first civil war, which was relatively short in comparison. Caesar declared himself dictator for life, but then was assassinated by Brutus and the Liberators. Then the real civil wars began. Caesar, unlike Palpatine, made no attempt to hide his intentions. He felt that he had a right to invade Italy due to the Senate denying him the right to run for Consul (Supreme Chancellor, only there were two of them) in abstention. Specifically Cato (whose sister Caesar was having a torrid affair with). He was unable to return from Gaul in time to make the registration cutoff or something like that :)

Palpatine is more like Hitler, creating a series of crises in order gain powers not intended for him to have, which he then uses to solidify his position as dictator. Also the term "Chancellor" for the head of the Republc, which was also Hitler's title.

Perhaps saying the Empire is like the Third Reich would fit more to the movie-era empire. In the Old Republic era, its definitely a lot more like Rome. But I think that makes it fit all the more - the Sith Empire pretty much was extinguished at the time of Darth Bane; the Empire of the movie era is not the same Empire as in the Old Republic era.

And although the Civil War didnt start until Caesar in 49 BC, Rome was full of internal conflict and strife for decades before, ever since the time of Tiberius Gracchus around 133 BC. There were several cases where army commanders would march on Rome and even take over (Sulla, Marius, Sulla again), and there was the Social war ~90BC.

Edited by Z-ToXiN