Does anyone besides me think that Starwars is on the decline?

Matais

Before any of you attack me just hear me out.

In my honest opinion i believe that star wars is on the verge of death if it isn't dead already ( to me it may as well be dead)

1. Reclying the same ideas over and over again

2 characters never going beyond 2d (they feel stagnant and hardly noteworthy aside from what they look like, personality wise they never seem to grow and change in ways that feel realistic. ""I am aware this is a space fantasy but i don't think everything has to be cut and dry like it is now'''

3. The lack of outside the box thinking (this may sound similar to my first point but i honestly think that everyone in the EU is too afraid to tackle ideas and concepts that sort of twist the mythos of starwars a bit.

There was a time where i thought there was hope for something new. But i just don't know anymore.

So guys, do you think there is any hope for the future of starwars? or is it already too late?

In my honest opinion i believe that star wars is on the verge of death if it isn't dead already ( to me it may as well be dead)

That happens to multiple franchises; in the end, there is something that links to the origin / starting idea.

2 characters never going beyond 2d (they feel stagnant and hardly noteworthy aside from what they look like, personality wise they never seem to grow and change in ways that feel realistic. ""I am aware this is a space fantasy but i don't think everything has to be cut and dry like it is now'''

Completely disagree respectfully.

3. The lack of outside the box thinking (this may sound similar to my first point but i honestly think that everyone in the EU is too afraid to tackle ideas and concepts that sort of twist the mythos of starwars a bit.

The EU is the #2 you should be referring to...it got rid of the "balance in the force" and just added new skins and names to the Empire/Sith and Rebellion/Galactic Alliance/New Republic/Rebels/Jedi

There was a time where i thought there was hope for something new. But i just don't know anymore.

So guys, do you think there is any hope for the future of starwars? or is it already too late?

My thoughts; I honestly don't think there is a decline, just a "MOAR NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" attitude from "fans."

Edited by Eillack

Ya...no, with a franchise this big. Like Star Trek, both won't ever be dead because both changed the face of the world. Franchises that big, don't just die. There are still many stories to be had, and new characters could arise in the future. Edited by Wolfninjajedi

I disagree with your second point, but completely agree with your first and third point. It's true that ideas keep on getting recycled and creativity is becoming scarce. Really, it's the most of the EU writers who are the culprits.

Though I wouldn't say Star Wars is in decline. The franchise has a popular TV series, and the books are still selling well.

Edited by Aitix

this game is on decline; It wont die per say due to "Star wars" being slapped on it but all you have left are star wars fanbase or if it goes F2p you get more people that way.

this game is on decline; It wont die per say due to "Star wars" being slapped on it but all you have left are star wars fanbase or if it goes F2p you get more people that way.

i was not speaking of the game, i meant the franchise as a whole. If people keep on being afraid to do something new with Starwars then i feel as though it will fade into obscurity.

I disagree with your second point, but completely agree with your first and third point. It's true that ideas keep on getting recycled and creativity is becoming scarce. Really, it's the most of the EU writers who are the culprits.

Though I wouldn't say Star Wars is in decline. The franchise has a popular TV series, and the books are still selling well.

just a friendly question...do any of the Jedi in this game or anything recent come off as People or just cardboard cut outs.

i guess i just want someone to break free of Lucas' shadow and write something maybe artistic...if that makes any sense. ( i guess i wouldn't be making this thread if i didn't see how much potential starwars has after Playing Kotor 2 restored)

My thoughts; I honestly don't think there is a decline, just a "MOAR NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" attitude from "fans."

I just meant in point 1 that something besides the "evil" sith are trying to take over the galaxy while the "good and noble" Jedi save the day.

You get what i mean?

As soon as people stop having babies than SW will be dead, if not it will live forever in American mythos, just like many ancient stories get told over and over, this will last forever.

Every new generation will want to enjoy SW, i was born in 84 and fell in love with the OT which was before my time, and personally really enjoyed the PT ( im not one of those to cool for school haters). So i wouls assume it dying is not something that will ever happen.

Will it possibly not be quite as popular maybe, but i mean cmon think about it, SW is everywhere, goto disney you got a damn ride, watch tv there are cartoons, besides the movies there are over 100 novles and well over 100 games.

to say its going to die is just either wishful thinking on your part or just plain dumb, 100 years from now ppl will still watch SW, unless of course we blow ourselves to hell in back with the direction our planet is taking

As soon as people stop having babies than SW will be dead, if not it will live forever in American mythos, just like many ancient stories get told over and over, this will last forever.

Every new generation will want to enjoy SW, i was born in 84 and fell in love with the OT which was before my time, and personally really enjoyed the PT ( im not one of those to cool for school haters). So i wouls assume it dying is not something that will ever happen.

Will it possibly not be quite as popular maybe, but i mean cmon think about it, SW is everywhere, goto disney you got a damn ride, watch tv there are cartoons, besides the movies there are over 100 novles and well over 100 games.

to say its going to die is just either wishful thinking on your part or just plain dumb, 100 years from now ppl will still watch SW, unless of course we blow ourselves to hell in back with the direction our planet is taking

To be fair, I don't even think a nuclear holocaust would destroy it. You know how some stuff, is kept in protective underground bunkers that could survive pretty much anything save for the literal destruction of the Earth? I'm thinking, along with some Star Trek stuff/Disney stuff/rare paintings/documents, Star Wars is in there.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

just a friendly question...do any of the Jedi in this game or anything recent come off as People or just cardboard cut outs.

i guess i just want someone to break free of Lucas' shadow and write something maybe artistic...if that makes any sense. ( i guess i wouldn't be making this thread if i didn't see how much potential starwars has after Playing Kotor 2 restored)

My suggestion take your jedi a different path. Create his/her own back story and story . Yea I know you need to follow the class story to level but who is to say you can't use that story and turn it around where it fits your jedi and makes him/her different.

I know that sounds like roleplaying and well considering I'm a roleplayer (lol) it may be. Just an idea for you to consider

I seriously doubt Star Wars will ever die. There are children being born and some of them are getting involved in the Star Wars saga and enjoying it even today.

People still read the books and watch the movies so no it's not declining.

I seriously doubt Star Wars will ever die. There are children being born and some of them are getting involved in the Star Wars saga and enjoying it even today.

People still read the books and watch the movies so no it's not declining.

fair enough, i guess i shouldn't expect much more from Starwars. I guess i love kotor 2 too much lol

I just meant in point 1 that something besides the "evil" sith are trying to take over the galaxy while the "good and noble" Jedi save the day.

You get what i mean?

you can choose to be an evil jedi or a good sith. its all in the way you go through your story line and if you even pay attention to it.

We need more character studies but make them about, you know CHARACTES! and not as filler to the next action scene. Another option is make it an adventure.

Also more rebellion era material! Most of the stuff out there happens during or before the clone wars, or after the formation of the new republic. Hoe about more stuff that takes place between the movies and the 3 years before the battle of yavin. The only things out there are the force unleashed and shadows of the empire (that comes to mind anyways). No more jedis, lets look at the universe!

We need more character studies but make them about, you know CHARACTES! and not as filler to the next action scene. Another option is make it an adventure.

Also more rebellion era material! Most of the stuff out there happens during or before the clone wars, or after the formation of the new republic. Hoe about more stuff that takes place between the movies and the 3 years before the battle of yavin. The only things out there are the force unleashed and shadows of the empire (that comes to mind anyways). No more jedis, lets look at the universe!

its good to know someone else wants heavier character development lol

It may be in decline. Then again, I went through the "dark times" of 1986-1991 (between the cancelation of the Marvel comic and the Zahn trilogy with Thrawn), so it all looks pretty good to me.

At least they haven't remade the original, with new actors....I'm looking at you Star Trek.

Star wars, star trek, Disney movies and Lord of the rings will always be part of our culture. They do go thru low periods as kids grow up and have kids of their own who watch/read these classics.

Example: My daughter as she grew up watched the prequels 1st with little knowledge OT. I as an old fan enjoyed watching her react to the big betrayal and then realizing who Darth Vadar really was. Hopefully Lucas doesn't really try and kill star wars since I look forward to a few more movies based in that universe

I'd have to agree. SW has become deeply entrenched in our world's collective memories. While interest in it ebbs and flows, I wouldn't say it's in any danger of being dried up anytime soon considering the popularity of SW novels, SW games, the current cartoon show, and the upcoming live action show.

In reference to the last line, I'd bet if anybody survives, there will be people re-enacting the movie

I guess.

The Star Wars original trilogy are my favorite movies.

I haven't really liked any Star Wars nearly as much since then. The Prequels range from bad (Episode I) to just a decent flick (Episode III). None are legendary. The Clone Wars TV show is clearly made for children and really lacks an level of depth or quality. EU mostly doesn't interest me because half of it is just bad and much of the rest is ridiculous.

As for people saying franchises this big are basically immortal, you're wrong. Though obviously Star Wars won't die any time soon I wouldn't call any franchise immortal. There have been previous hugely popular franchises throughout history that were ridiculously successful and if you mentioned them today most people wouldn't know anything about them.

Edited by ISDEnterprise

I'd have to agree. SW has become deeply entrenched in our world's collective memories. While interest in it ebbs and flows, I wouldn't say it's in any danger of being dried up anytime soon considering the popularity of SW novels, SW games, the current cartoon show, and the upcoming live action show.

In reference to the last line, I'd bet if anybody survives, there will be people re-enacting the movie

pretty much this. It's a major part of our popular culture i've been a part of several papers on the issue and I can tell you it's not going anywhere anytime soon.