Time for a PvP Fix

fungihoujo

• Replies 535
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I disagree, sorcs are fne as is. they have great dps, great survivability, lightning spec is not made for pvp, but for pve (imo). your changes will just make them even more op and even harder to kill.

This is utterly stupid. Sorcs suffer from many fundamental problems. The single target damage is very pitiful in pvp unless you are hybrid or full lightning spec. Full lightning however can rarely even get the time to cast all of the abilities is needs and its burst is reliant on chain lightning critting. The problem is that this game has so many interrupts and cc abilities that it is very hard to actually get casts off, which leaves our low damage even worse off. Full madness has large problems with force management and burst, the hybrid is overly reliant on force lightning and full lightning can't get off it's casts.

Maybe you haven't played as a sorcerer but it isn't exactly fun most of the time. You are hunted every warzone not because of your value to the team, but because people don't fear you and like the big damage they get from killing sorcs. I play warzones where certain players will chase me the entire match, and if I am on thier team they chase after any other enemy sorc/sage they see. Sorcerors don't have any "get off me abilities", defensive cooldowns, or any really theartning offensive cooldowns.

Here are the problems.

Madness

Part of the problem is that in pve full madness creates most of its damage from force lightning and the wrath proc (this is the basis of pve damage and force management). But it is very rare that you can freely cast force lightning in pvp and very difficult to get full force lightning casts while kiting. If you are very skilled at kiting full madness can kite very well, but in this lies the problem. Without force lightning you will never produce much damage as full madness and never regenerate any force. As well the only good damaging kiting tool we have is shock and deathfeild, which shock deals little damage and costs way too much force. This creates a class that can't create good single target pressure and runs itself out of its own resource by kiting. The suriviability is low so kiting is necessary but in kiting you lower your already low damage and limit your own options down the road due to force problems.

Hybrid

The best sorc dps pvp spec. It does not have problems with force and has moderate to good burst depending on your gear, cooldowns and your luck with procs. With the bubble stun as is, it has decent survivability as well and cc. The only real problem with the hybrid spec is how overly reliant on force lightning it is. When force lightning is interrupted you loose most of your good single target options. As well it still weak defensively and its burst is not as front loaded or reliable as other classes in the game.

Lightning

Good force management but terrible survivability and way too much hard casting for a game like this. The long casts all hit relatively weak and the burst is completely proc reliant. The hardest hitting move is chain lightning which only hits hard on crit, but unlike other classes we have no way to "make" it crit aside from recklessness. Chain lightning also requires casts in order to get the lightning storm proc to use it only to get a move that may hit in the 1.5k area if it doesn't crit. While full lightning has the best theoretical burst, it is too based on RNG and casts in order to be effective or reliable in a pvp environment.

Personal Ideas for buffs

Baseline-

Saber strike and Trash now benefit from willpower

Recklessness 1 min cooldown

Force speed makes you immune to roots and slows for the duration

Defensive cooldown

Static barrier makes you immune to interrupt for its duration

Whirlwind is instant cast for sorcerer AC

Madness

-Thrash roots the oponent for 1.5 seconds and increases dot crit chance by 5% against that target for 7 seconds

-Make chain shock in madness spec 10/20/30% higher chance to crit with shock on targets below 30% health

-Affliction and creeping terror get a lesser duration but more damage. Force lightning's damage is slightly nerfed to compensate if pve damage is too high.

-Dot portion of crushing darkness is now internal damage

-Creeping terror ticks restore 2% of your force

-Lightning strike casted via wrath hits 30% harder

Lightning

-Thrash lowers the targets armor by 10% and gives you a free instant lightning strike

-Thundering blast is no longer auto crit, but has a high base damage to compensate.

-Chain lightning will auto crit on targets affected by your affliction

-6 additional seconds of affliction moved up higher in the lightning tree

-Polarity shift cooldown reduced to 1.2 minutes

-Backlash bubble stun is made into self cast only. Bubble stun on teammates still works though through specing if you are 31 points lightning. This is to avoid healer/lightning hybrids from spamming bubbles without hurting full lightning's team utility.

Hybrid

Chain lightning can be casted by wrath again

Edited by AdmiralParmesan

Wonder if anyone else is tired beating a dead horse. Anyone? I know I am. Let's all just hold off on things until they release their class balance notes and then tell them everything wrong with the Sorc changes.

Already did that with 1.2- look at what it got us. Zilch.

I came back for the f2p to see if they'd fixed anything, but I'm coming back instead to talks of nerfing our one viable RWZ spec- maybe they'll fix it when they bring out an xpac.

You need one thing to fix sorcs in pvp:

Chain lightning off wrath. I would give up anything, even bubble blind, to have that back.

That would be nice for dps specs for sure- would mean you'd have something useful to proc when CD is on CD. Still, wouldn't help healers much- put the instant DI proc back in, and you'd have enough to make both healers and dps viable again even without the mass bubble stuns.

I'd prefer to get top tiers looked at so pures are worthwhile for once- but since that seems out of the question for some bizarre reason, I'd go with having the good hybrid specs of the old days back.

That would be nice for dps specs for sure- would mean you'd have something useful to proc when CD is on CD. Still, wouldn't help healers much- put the instant DI proc back in, and you'd have enough to make both healers and dps viable again even without the mass bubble stuns.

I'd prefer to get top tiers looked at so pures are worthwhile for once- but since that seems out of the question for some bizarre reason, I'd go with having the good hybrid specs of the old days back.

Healers are completely viable even without bubble stun...

Wrath with the base Chain Lightning really isn't that great to be honest Wrath gives it a 20% buff but you would not be able to take advantage of the 50% crit bonus which would cap your surge on that ability making it hit the hardest. It would crit for probably mid to high 3k. I could see how with Death Field you may be able to get some back to back aoe hits for 3k but you also loose the crit bonus on Death Field as well as the periodic bonus by picking up Chain Lightning.

It would basically take a proc and two abilities to do what smash does in one you would also gimp other abilities by doing so. We need one ability in each tree that can hit hard for both specs on the damage side.

Viable? Yes.

But- consider that before the bubble stun, sorcs were never taken for damage in RWZ- and only taken for healing when two good operatives weren't available. Why? Because ops have shorter casts, more survivability, and some casting mobility- it's a no brainer.

I'd rather be competitive than just viable- I'm not talking about balancing us to the bare minimum, I'm talking about balancing us so that when other classes see us they don't rush for a free kill- that they feel the same level of despair one feels with a WH aug mara or an 8k smash jugg, or the hopelessness you feel when trying to get close to a sniper, or frustration trying to kill a healing op.

Instead- look at the thread on class feedback- almost every single person considers this class a free kill in pvp. That's not a place we should be.

It was only until recently that this was the case though. Unnatural preservation + force speed breaking roots was a huge boost to helping out the Class but still the "WE NEED A DEFENSIVE CD" demands continued to fall on deaf ears.

When the bubble stun is nerfed (and it will be), sorcs will once again be back to where they started. Heal or ****. And like the guy above says... If there's a choice between an operative and a sorc... The operative healer will -always- come out on top. Mobility healing is king in PVP. A sub 30% spammable gcd instant heal for 3 to 4k on that player is just too good to pass up.

But still. It's the DPS specs that will go back to being undesired.

There's too much here to comment on, but I noticed a lot of people repeating "the bubble is getting nerfed. BW already said so." So I figured that could use some clarification.

We're currently undergoing a lot of class rebalance for a future major patch, so it's an understatement to say that things aren't locked down yet. However, the problem with Backlash (Lightning's incapacitate on Static Barrier) is mostly that it can be applied to any target, making an entire team of allies stun-bubbled. Since this is such great utility for the Lightning Sorcerer, we don't want to change the effect of Backlash, but we are considering making the Backlash effect only apply to the original caster - so you only get a Backlash when you put your Static Barrier on yourself.

That's just the current idea. We don't have any plans on making Static Barrier or Backlash worse than it currently is for the Sorcerer that uses it.

We're aware that even this change lowers the amount of group support Lightning offers, so that's something we have to figure out before we can pull the trigger on Backlash.

I wish I could tell you guys more, but there isn't enough locked down yet. Rest assured, it's not as simple as "too good - nerf. Next."

Bahahaha are you joking Dev? You just said so many things that confirms you guys hate sorcs!

I think the one that stands out the most is "We dont have any plans on making Static Barrier worse than it currently is." So you admit its bad because I know my fellow sorcs will agree the amount of dmg it absorbs is terrible when compared to how hard we are hit. Lol give our bubble to another class though and when compared to the amount of dmg we do it will absorb it all and we will die before it will pop. I mean seriously BW?

Second the OP took his/her time to post very good feedback on what will make the class better and more viable in pvp in tems of survivability and burst damage but all you see is the freaking shield nerf complaint. Out of all that information that is really all you got out of it? That just makes me want to throw up I'm not joking. The sorc community has taken valuable time and money we could be spending and playing on another game to stick with this class and provide constructive and well thought out feedback.

What do you do you? Ignore it, this is the first yellow post I've ever seen in a sorc thread and it's jsut about the bubble. A nerf is a nerf is a nerf don't try to hide it this dev pretty much just told us what we already know. Stop trying to hide behind all the other classes and come out and admit sorcs are broken.

All that time put into tying to help you Dev's realize this is wrong and sorcs need a good pvp buff all that feedback and information all those notes thought process wasted. You guys completely ignore the feedback and a fine example of it is this Dev's post. Op I'm sorry you wasted your time posting all your thoughts out, to everyone else in the past I am sorry as well BW doesn't care they can't even read the fine print. It's like sorc threads are in Egyptian to them.

I'm done doing your job for you BW this is bloody embarrassing trash class belongs in the trash and that's where you've thrown us with the garbage disposal on.

Edited by Calogerus

Bahahaha are you joking Dev? You just said so many things that confirms you guys hate sorcs!

I think the one that stands out the most is "We dont have any plans on making Static Barrier worse than it currently is." So you admit its bad because I know my fellow sorcs will agree the amount of dmg it absorbs is terrible when compared to how hard we are hit. Lol give our bubble to another class though and when compared to the amount of dmg we do it will absorb it all and we will die before it will pop. I mean seriously BW?

Second the OP took his/her time to post very good feedback on what will make the class better and more viable in pvp in tems of survivability and burst damage but all you see is the freaking shield nerf complaint. Out of all that information that is really all you got out of it? That just makes me want to throw up I'm not joking. The sorc community has taken valuable time and money we could be spending and playing on another game to stick with this class and provide constructive and well thought out feedback.

What do you do you? Ignore it, this is the first yellow post I've ever seen in a sorc thread and it's jsut about the bubble. A nerf is a nerf is a nerf don't try to hide it this dev pretty much just told us what we already know. Stop trying to hide behind all the other classes and come out and admit sorcs are broken.

All that time put into tying to help you Dev's realize this is wrong and sorcs need a good pvp buff all that feedback and information all those notes thought process wasted. You guys completely ignore the feedback and a fine example of it is this Dev's post. Op I'm sorry you wasted your time posting all your thoughts out, to everyone else in the past I am sorry as well BW doesn't care they can't even read the fine print. It's like sorc threads are in Egyptian to them.

I'm done doing your job for you BW this is bloody embarrassing trash class belongs in the trash and that's where you've thrown us with the garbage disposal on.

Truth... sad but true. I can't wait to read about how lolrauders are going to be buffed again...

i posted this ont he class balance thread...

sorc dmg can be misrepresented by the tally at the end... if left alone a sorc can still do much dmg, alot of it aoe.

but while other top damaging classes like pts, mara's and juggs really dont take a dps drop off when attacked in return... SORCS lose a lot of dps due to having to run for their life...

our dots and instants are very weak, so in order to do dmg we must stand still and eaither channel or cast.. this allows our biggest enemies (jugg mara pt assasin) to close any gap... and at that point we will NOT win a dps war straight on...

there are 1 to 2 solutions,

harder hitting spells to STAND toe to toe with this monster hitting classes, this would come from the lightning tree, lightning strike, chain lightning and thundering blast have a terrible cast to dmg payofff ratio... the skills just arent worth casting if ur being attacked.. ur much better off running and therefor having ZERO dps

or

front loaded dots, harder hitting instants , this would come form the madness tree. Crushing darkness should be instant for sorcs AC, and wrath should instead make ur next Crush Darkness or Shock do 35% more dmg

a defensive cooldown on 1-2 minute cd wouldnt hurt either...

The sad part is- we've been making these complaints for eight months- so it's not like I was ignored now, I and the many other sorcs (including dozens of fantastic sorcs who quit in disgust after 1.2 and sadly we will likely never hear from again) who have posted detailed criticisms of what our class has, and comparisons to what other classes have- have been ignored for a long time.

What have we really gotten since? A new talent in healing for root free force speed- nice, but as roots are 100% snares, force speed should baseline be immune to it like other snares- OR, roots should be part of resolve (which frankly, would help everyone complaining about the sheer amount of CC in the game).

Our stun reduced from 30-10m... yummy.

Our KB turned from radial to conal- yum yum!

Stun bubble buff... which from the sounds of it will end up being self only after nerf... so, a nerf from where it was before when it was mezzes to the entire team. Yum!

At the end of this- we'll have come out of this all with almost nothing but nerfs. Oh- and a 30 sec CD heal.

The thing is- the quickness of the stun bubble buff needing a nerf suggests it was simply thrown in as a distraction without considering what we were saying- not a confidence booster that they actually care about us when the only balancing attempt in eight months was half hearted and transient.

We need a well thought out buff- and we need it when or before you nerf the stun bubble.

And it's not just us- DPS ops, and mercs in general have been pissed off since 1.2 as well- that's 8 months where you, BW, screwed 3 classes- 8 months where these classes have had almost no place in RWZ dps, and at some points only 1 was the alpha healer as well.

We're going to need to see some real effort this time put into the three classes- I'm surprised this wasn't ready for f2p when you had a big chance at getting subs back- you know full well those were the three most popular classes pre-1.2, and they dropped to being the 3 least popular.

The sorc forum went from being the most posted in by a long shot to being one of the least.

At the least- this should be a lesson on why you do not try to balance class populations by hitting popular classes with huge nerfs- it really didn't work out for you BW.

Truth... sad but true. I can't wait to read about how lolrauders are going to be buffed again...

Check out their forum- marauders are talking about how CARNAGE marauders need to be buffed to be more viable in RWZ. That's right- carnage, the single most needed DPS spec in RWZ, asking for a buff. A spec that can root for 9 seconds straight- that can root for 36 seconds/minute- and yet someone was saying giving sorcs one baseline root would make us rooting gods.

We are a kiting class which cannot permanently snare even a single target, and has zero baseline roots and zero baseline CC immunity abilities- that's not a kiting class, and the only people who can think that are the same people saying merc's main problem is they don't know how to pillar hump.

Oh wait- BW said that!

Honestly- some of the people whining for nerfs to sorc's STEALTH ability before 1.2 made more sense than some of what BW has been saying.

I am always willing to give a chance for BW to change- but it's been 8 months, how much longer do I have to wait? I don't want this to be like WoW with my hunter- where I put in a bug report about pets spawning with 10% of their max health for up to 10 seconds and thus being one shot easily... a bug that was still there two whole years after it first surfaced.

Is this what I get for liking ranged classes? Cuz it seems I keep picking the classes that get the lowest rated pvp representations.

ohh that gives me more ideas!

aside from making crushing darkness base instant cast, and making wrath instead increase the dmg of ur next shock or crushing darkness by 33%

we could also make force slow a root for sorcs advance class..

also force lightning, since we must be stationary (and a sitting duck) while channeling.. Force lightning could have a 25% chance per tick to knockback the enemy 8 yards~

also, a talent where being grappled /charged increases our defense by some ludacris amount for 5 seconds

or being charged grappled gives us "unhindered force blah blah) where we're immune to cc much liek a vengeance jugg) for 5 seconds following being grappled/charged

any sorc whos been in a wz knows that in gorup pvp we're generally chain stunned/rooted til death

1 warrior i can kite around for a minute, but 2 warriors can kill me in about 8 seconds since wont be able to move the entire time

All right, I keep seeing this stuff going nonstop and people will eventually get tired and just wait and see what BioWare does so I will help speed that along. Here's the truth......... BioWare doesn't like you, you aren't spending enough money on Cartel Coins.

OK OK, here's the real truth. Do we need good defensive CD's? Yes. Do we need some sort of DPS buff? Yes. However, you also have to look at it from BioWare's point of view. There's a reason why Snipers and Marauders are kings of DPS, that's all they can do. There's a reason why tank classes can come in second (at least in theory), because even a tank is dps'ing; so you could think of them as 1/4 tank 3/4 DPS. Now as for Sorcs, think of us more as split evenly between DPS and healing; 2/4. If they were to buff our damage to levels equivalent of snipers, marauders, or even rage spec juggs, then we'ld end up being sweet DPSing healers; because let's face it with that nice of a DPS buff who wouldn't want to go hybrid dps/heals in PvP?

In short they have to try and balance our DPS capabilities with our healing one, we can't unfortunately have super DPS. Also on that note our healing could use a bit of a buff too.

All right, I keep seeing this stuff going nonstop and people will eventually get tired and just wait and see what BioWare does so I will help speed that along. Here's the truth......... BioWare doesn't like you, you aren't spending enough money on Cartel Coins.

OK OK, here's the real truth. Do we need good defensive CD's? Yes. Do we need some sort of DPS buff? Yes. However, you also have to look at it from BioWare's point of view. There's a reason why Snipers and Marauders are kings of DPS, that's all they can do. There's a reason why tank classes can come in second (at least in theory), because even a tank is dps'ing; so you could think of them as 1/4 tank 3/4 DPS. Now as for Sorcs, think of us more as split evenly between DPS and healing; 2/4. If they were to buff our damage to levels equivalent of snipers, marauders, or even rage spec juggs, then we'ld end up being sweet DPSing healers; because let's face it with that nice of a DPS buff who wouldn't want to go hybrid dps/heals in PvP?

In short they have to try and balance our DPS capabilities with our healing one, we can't unfortunately have super DPS. Also on that note our healing could use a bit of a buff too.

If assassins can be hybrid TANK/DPS, maintaining some of the big tricks of a tank and still being able to DPS hard, We should be able to have a heal/dps Hybrid.

Granted, they shouldnt be able to do that... but hey. That's been said forever. Regardless, If we're spec'd as a full DPS toon, we shouldnt be penalized for it because we have a heal button. That heal is barely anything when compared to the incoming burst that we take.

Oh I know, I know other classes have great hybrid options, Assassins most notably. And I've said it somewhere that either ours should be brought back or, as BioWare seems to have wanted to move away from hybrid stuff, remove the cohesion of every other possible hybrid also (Darkness/Madness hybrid? hey sorry can only get benefits from the Madness toys only in Lightning Charge and Dark Charge for Darkness toys, same for Decepticon).

Shouldn't get penalized for it? Maybe a strong word "shouldn't", but yeah, shouldn't as much anyway. But still something they have to consider (not meaning just our self insta heal of course).

What a surprise and way to kill off PVP for SORC/SAGE... we are considering making the Backlash effect only apply to the original caster - so you only get a Backlash when you put your Static Barrier on yourself.

For PVP I'll continue to use my LOLSMASHER instead since BW can't seem to get SORC/SAGE DPS right.

Going to nerf the bubble.. GEE.. didn't see that coming. Too many lazy players complained. Time to go be lazy on the FOTM toon again. The only REAL Utility the SORC/SAGE had after all the NERFS.

You want to FIX the problem or just keep a group of people happy? How about upon bubble burst the one shielded get a small heal? That would shut down the QQ from those about the bubble stunfest issue.

Edited by dscount

Having one healing spec is no excuse for there to be no viable dps specs for these classes.

Shadow priests could still melt faces even though there were two healing specs for them, shammies... well, before BC shammies were the best pvp dps class.

These ACs all have 2 dps trees each- that gives people the illusion that there are two dps trees each, but the sad reality is- RWZ doesn't welcome those trees.

Most players prefer dps over healing- and a lot of people like playing hunter, mage or rogue like classes as dps. The options of players have been culled by this refusal to make them viable.

Fact is- purposefully (and 1.2 shows that this was indeed purposeful nerfs) destroying the dps playerbase of your 3 most popular classes was a terrible decision- not fixing them by f2p was yet another.

BW is running out of chances to show they aren't extremely biased in the favour of a certain class that they just gave EZ mode 8k aoe crits after months of complaints about how OP that class already was.

Sorcs, mercs, ops- these classes were having fun at the beginning of the game, they were well populated, and they were classes that casuals are drawn to because of ease of decent play.

Now- the casuals find they get stomped every step they take, and the best players have grown frustrated with playing a class where they can try twice as hard and still not come close to the potential burst output most other classes reach easily. We used to have great players taking stats, doing videos on how to play, giving advice- look at our forum now, it's almost barren because there's no satisfaction in being root looked over and over while knowing you can't do a thing- in trying to kite as a class with no perma snare or baseline root- in trying to kill healers as a class with weak potential burst.

The worst part is- the state of the game today could have been avoided- it was deliberately put into this state by poor decision making.

We need MORE damage and LOTS of it.

A full WH dps Sorc has to have

Death Field and Chain Lightning have to hit for 8k, Death Field changed to 5 targets.

DoTs need to hit alot harder. A full dotted up toon with creeping terror, affliction and crushing darkness should be losing 5-6k a GCD. 8k with Death Mark ticks. A 3 dot set up ought to have some payback... but alas. They should also be unpurgable save by a healer specced into buffed cleanse. Shroud etc shouldn't work, if deathmark is on the sin/shadow.

Force Lightning/Lightning Strike needs a 50% damage buff.

Thundering Blast needs a proc to be made instant and hit for 6k.

IF we had these, they can justify our current supposed role as "kiter" and "glass cannon". We hit like a truck, but go down quick since we have no real defensive cooldowns.

The sad part, I'm not even joking. Heck I'd even toss Sorcs, shroud and still call it balanced with the hard hits i see floating aorund wzs. I rarely PvP on my sorc now, it's just not fun anymore.

LOL u just made me laugh. That would cos everyone to either quit PvP or be the nooks who have to Errol to play the new ops class like the have with focus/rage spec. Urban post solves nothing and is nothing more than a silly attempt to get sorts op again. If u seriously need these changes to do well in PvP then u might want to change specs/class. I have 50 lightning sorcerers and pull 300k plus in a good wz my lol 14 sage did 180/200k damage and top medals and objectives. It's posts like this that show how ppl just want to be ops and not care about some sort of balance. But to counter u perhaps then vanguard dps should get a bubble or have hib hit for 9k or ap hit for 9k. Oh wait u wouldn't wanttwant that nor would anyone else

LOL u just made me laugh. That would cos everyone to either quit PvP or be the nooks who have to Errol to play the new ops class like the have with focus/rage spec. Urban post solves nothing and is nothing more than a silly attempt to get sorts op again. If u seriously need these changes to do well in PvP then u might want to change specs/class. I have 50 lightning sorcerers and pull 300k plus in a good wz my lol 14 sage did 180/200k damage and top medals and objectives. It's posts like this that show how ppl just want to be ops and not care about some sort of balance. But to counter u perhaps then vanguard dps should get a bubble or have hib hit for 9k or ap hit for 9k. Oh wait u wouldn't wanttwant that nor would anyone else

Umm, I have no clue what you just said.

What you're responding to is indeed extreme- however there has been an extreme imbalance so far in the game anyway.

Also- nobody cares if you can hit 200k in low level pvp, or that you can pull 300k in normals.

Quit using hyperbole and missing the entire point of the thread- this isn't about being OP, this is about being viable enough to have a spot in dps or healing in RWZ once the stun bubble nerf goes through- right now we have no place as dps and that's unacceptable- and without stun bubble chances are we'll only have a spot as healers when a group can't find 2 good healer operatives.

Asking for a buff- or even a return to where we were back when we were actually balanced isn't asking to become extremely OP.

DPS sorcs, ops and mercs are not welcome in RWZ- that needs to change and it will not change with tiny buffs. Healing mercs and stun bubble-less sorcs are also much less welcome due to lack of mobility over a healing op. We're classes with DPS trees- we should be viable as DPS but every good team playing RWZ against other good teams isn't taking us because they know our class's DPS viability caps way lower than other classes.