Mouseover Healing

Malicity

A macro system and a much improved UI is needed if they want the game to thrive. I myself have put off all healing(I'm usually one) and some of the classes with way to many buttons/reactionaries.

I can probably hammer a nail with my forehead if I was really backwards and stubborn but I prefer using a tool.. I have the same philosophy with games.

I'll go through my main and one alt and then I'll go elsewhere unless it is in this game by then.

Don't be a MMO-luddite.

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally never used grid in WOW and if something of that nature appears in this game I will not use that either. There is a reason people starting calling us "healbot" in WOW. I trained my hand-eye to hit the correct keystroke at precisely the same moment that I targeted that character, sometimes I would miss the heal and start to stress in hopes that I could catch up and that was the fun of the emotional roller coaster of raiding/PVPing. To say that the challenge is the same is ridiculous, Grid took healing in large raids in WOW from truly challenging to laughable. In fact, Blizzard actually began tuning encounters to accommodate for the plethora of healing add-ons out there.

First thing is the UI needs to be cleaned up. I have to click on targets anyways to see how many stacks/time left for Kolto Probe. You can't get anything done with the current UI. Sure BW is adding in more UI features but all we saw is someone resizing and moving frames around. We need in depth options for buffs and debuffs on targets, ability to turn off certain stuff, like buffs we didn't cast, increase their size and timers.

Will that be there? I dunno, but doubt it.

A macro system and a much improved UI is needed if they want the game to thrive. I myself have put off all healing(I'm usually one) and some of the classes with way to many buttons/reactionaries.

I can probably hammer a nail with my forehead if I was really backwards and stubborn but I prefer using a tool.. I have the same philosophy with games.

I'll go through my main and one alt and then I'll go elsewhere unless it is in this game by then.

Don't be a MMO-luddite.

I agree they need macros and the ability for the inventive and creative people to create their own ui's to use and to let others use in the game. We need more then resizing and moving some things around for a better ui. give us the option to see health of targets target is a big one for me as a healer.

I heal. I have been healing since 25 man Naxx back in Vanilla WoW.

Post of the year.

1. You do realise this post was posted by a guy named Trollzs

2. You do realise that Naxx was a classic raid in Vanilla WoW and he may have mistyped the 25 (as it was a 40 man raid)

I think this is a joke, the thing that sperates good players from great players are their Actions Per Minute (APM) if you do not have th skill to play the class effectively dont play it. go w/ a sage DPS build and 1 2 1 2 Bubble, 1 2 1 2 , bubble

Where have you gotten your info? Most classes, though especially healing, are about resource management. That means not going balls to the wall and casting constantly. What separates good players from great players is the ability to think proactively and time their heals for maximum efficiency. If you don't have the knowledge of the role you're talking about, don't talk about it.

I think this is a joke, the thing that sperates good players from great players are their Actions Per Minute (APM) if you do not have th skill to play the class effectively dont play it. go w/ a sage DPS build and 1 2 1 2 Bubble, 1 2 1 2 , bubble

APM in an MMO? HAHAHAHAHAHA ****. Mouseover heals are for pros, old-school click healing is for fol spammers. /thread

You can use a hammer to build a house, you can use an air gun to build a house. You can heal without mouse over macros it would just be a lot more user friendly if we could have the choice to use them. Having them will not make bad healers into good ones just as having that air gun will not make that wall straight and level.

Where have you gotten your info? Most classes, though especially healing, are about resource management. That means not going balls to the wall and casting constantly. What separates good players from great players is the ability to think proactively and time their heals for maximum efficiency. If you don't have the knowledge of the role you're talking about, don't talk about it.

It is impossible to be completely proactive as a healer. Humans are not machines and our peers make mistakes and it falls on us to compensate for them. You can be the smartest healer in the world, if it takes you 4 seconds to react and land a heal on someone who is about to die, they are probably going to die.

The goal of fluid immersible game play should be to minimize the time it takes to determine someone needs to be healed, target them, and heal them to the point that it is as close to the cast time of the ability + your own mental decision making time as possible.

Any additional time added outside of that by how you need to interact with the game itself should be optimized as much as possible. Like all things it can always be better. At least until we are hardwired into our computers and actions take place in real time as we think them.

It is impossible to be completely proactive as a healer. Humans are not machines and our peers make mistakes and it falls on us to compensate for them. You can be the smartest healer in the world, if it takes you 4 seconds to react and land a heal on someone who is about to die, they are probably going to die.

The goal of fluid immersible game play should be to minimize the time it takes to determine someone needs to be healed, target them, and heal them to the point that it is as close to the cast time of the ability + your own mental decision making time as possible.

Any additional time added outside of that by how you need to interact with the game itself should be optimized as much as possible. Like all things it can always be better. At least until we are hardwired into our computers and actions take place in real time as we think them.

I never said healers had to be clairvoyant though I apologize if my post came off that way. I only meant to say that great healers are able to anticipate incoming damage, such as unavoidable splash damage on the raid, powerful and predictable hits on the tank, etc. Other than that I agree with your post, and the gameplay in this case could be more fluid and immersible, with mouseover healing, among other options.

Edited by Hermanlee

You are thinking of games which require a lot of micro. MMORPG games generally favor macro rather than micro. APM does not need to be high in games that have heavy macro and little micro.

Macro - Managing several things at once (health, energy, cooldowns, buffs/debuffs, interrupts, environmental hazards, positioning your character, ect).

Micro - Performing actions in a short amount of time. Because of the GCD, players aren't going to have much micro management involved in most MMORPGs.

lmao, APM in a game with a 1,5 GLOBAL cooldown... lets see if your APM can be higher then mine.

Same for mouseover healing, GOSH DARNIT, i can heal fast enough when i need to click ONE extra time.... i have sooooo little time, only 1,5 seconds !!!!

The only thing mouse over healing would be good for is, so i can play with one hand.

Edited by darreke

I personally don't favour mouseover healing, as I just find it lazy and prone to miscasts, but those saying that it's vital to efficient healing are delusional.

Don't blame a game system for your inability to aim your mouse properly.

The only thing mouse over healing would be good for is, so i can play with one hand.

Explain how you'll use mouseover healing with one hand, please. I'm pretty convinced you don't even know what it is.

Edited by Caelrie

Well, I think that mouse-over should be enabled. You can buy 100€ SWTOR mouse and make macro in mouse CP. So, if you don't want to spend money or you don't have money to buy it, you are lacking game experience. Edited by stipe

What Stipe said kinda--There are macros in the game right now--you just have to pay extra to have access to them... i.e. you need to buy new hardware--either a gaming mouse or keyboard.

So folks complain about not having macros or mouse over healing. Spend $50 to $150 bucks and you'll have something a little closer to what modern MMO ship with. Pretty sad actually...

Grid took healing in large raids in WOW from truly challenging to laughable

And another person that has no idea what addon does what. Grid IS in SWTOR--get into an operation. See the health bar layout--that is what Grid does. Well--let me make one minor correction. Grid shows the correct health and buffs/debuffs. The SWTOR frames still break all the time.

You're not considering the fact that all healers also bring offensive utility, for which they need to be able to target and focus enemies. When both your target and your focus are occupied by friendlies, you are not functioning at your full capacity.

Also, even using them for healing doesn't make anything mentally easier when you have to switch between 16 people.

with a focus target you can have a dps target and still heal your focus and self. Its not that hard people. Wow has made you lazy. Admit it.

All the knowledge in the world doesn't count for much if you don't do something with it. What people are asking for is mouseover healing so they can put their skills and knowledge to use with an interface that is more intuitive for them. The challenge is still there, but with mouseover healing you can overcome that challenge with knowledge, not by fighting a clunky UI. Mouseovers/"fancy" UI's don't detract from the challenge of healing, they only make it less of a chore.

There's also the problem of the operation UI being a poor source of data such as buffs/debuffs to begin with, but that's another issue entirely and doesn't belong in this thread.

Now I agree that the UI need improvement, just mouseover just not essential. There is alot of kinks and those do need to fixed

"Good enough" does not mean its the best way to do something. And whats wrong with using one hand? People use gaming mice and have their skills keybound to it already.

For me I want mouseover healing because I CAN heal just fine without them, but I do not enjoy it as much as I do with mouseovers. I avoid grouping as much as I otherwise would if I had mouseovers.

Edit: Control input has nothing to do with being a good healer, and having mouseovers or click casting doesnt magically make someone a pro.

This is logical. And I agree if it makes the game easier it should be a option but getting mouseover should not overshadow the issues going on in game right now. This would be ideal later so I am not insisting that we never get it.

P.s. Sorry for multiple texts typing on my phone =/

Explain how you'll use mouseover healing with one hand, please. I'm pretty convinced you don't even know what it is.

Left click on target frame = Heal 1

right click on target frame = heal 2

middle click on target frame = heal 3

mousebutton 4 on target frame = heal 4

mousebutton 5 on target frame = /dance

etc...

how many hands do YOU really need if you get mouseover healing ? looks like it's waaaaay to complicated for you to figure out.

You do know that mouseclicks can be bound too, do you ? Oh wait, maybe i should use pictures to explain it... if i could be bothered

With mouseover healing, why even have a target, it also fixes the target of the target (oh wait, that is allready fixed then). Focus target, well lets remove that too, not needed anymore.

lets just remove all targetting from the healers, it's not like they need it. Right ?

For all those saying that mouseover healing is the same as regular healing, you've never healed without a macro i guess. The whole charm of clicking then healing is misstargetting.

But i give up seeing the size of this thread anyhow, lets just introduce autotargetting instead of mouseover.

Lets make it so that when you click a heal it will automaticly heal the person needing it the most. Lets remove all the managing, there is no need to triage ppl, why would you ask something that hard from a player. Lets just make it more fun and make it a healingfest for everybody !!

Yes...if it was up to me i would ban any macro from this game. I love how everybody allways brag on their skill when they have the macros doing all the stuff for them.

Left click on target frame = Heal 1

right click on target frame = heal 2

middle click on target frame = heal 3

mousebutton 4 on target frame = heal 4

mousebutton 5 on target frame = /dance

etc...

how many hands do YOU really need if you get mouseover healing ? looks like it's waaaaay to complicated for you to figure out.

You do know that mouseclicks can be bound too, do you ? Oh wait, maybe i should use pictures to explain it... if i could be bothered

With mouseover healing, why even have a target, it also fixes the target of the target (oh wait, that is allready fixed then). Focus target, well lets remove that too, not needed anymore.

lets just remove all targetting from the healers, it's not like they need it. Right ?

For all those saying that mouseover healing is the same as regular healing, you've never healed without a macro i guess. The whole charm of clicking then healing is misstargetting.

But i give up seeing the size of this thread anyhow, lets just introduce autotargetting instead of mouseover.

Lets make it so that when you click a heal it will automaticly heal the person needing it the most. Lets remove all the managing, there is no need to triage ppl, why would you ask something that hard from a player. Lets just make it more fun and make it a healingfest for everybody !!

Yes...if it was up to me i would ban any macro from this game. I love how everybody allways brag on their skill when they have the macros doing all the stuff for them.

I have a razor naga it has 18 buttons just for my right hand. The left is free to really do whatever it wants pick my nose, stuff my face, won a math debate.... Possiblities r endless