Faction Change in SWTOR

Alykia

Star Wars: The Old Republic NEEDS to add a faction change, or as someone called it, a 'cross-faction class switch'.

A faction change means that a Sith Warrior would become a become a Jedi Knight, and vice versa. A Smuggler would become an Imperial Agent. However there is also broad support for some classes, such as Trooper and Smuggler, to be able to do a full faction change without changing class.

Classes are as follows;

Sith Warrior – Jedi Knight

Sith Inquisitor – Jedi Consular

Bounty Hunter – Trooper

Imperial Agent – Smuggler

How it can benefit SWTOR (financially):

• It can offer added revenue to make paid Faction change a paid option.

• Players who left could return to the game with the lure of playing their favorite character on another faction.

• Adding it as part of an update package is a good marketing campaign that would bring attention to the game.

• Making a 'change faction quest line' for characters who have hit level cap resolves the 'storyline deviance' issue and is an added assertive to return for those whom left.
    (especially for the large portion of fans who like the concept of 'Rebelling against one's faction')

Why players want the option:

• Players do not always have the time to spend to level up a new character after spending a lot of time on one. Be it due to work, family or other obligations.

(It does not mater how 'quick' it takes to level, they lose incentive to 'level all over again' after doing it once or a certain number of times with different characters).

• Despite 'legacy' and emphasis on 'shared items', there are items on one character players have spent time collecting and do not want to lose with having to make a new character -JUST- so they can be in another faction.

• Players grow attachments to their 'main' character, but can grow bored with the current faction they are on for various reasons. A 'faction change' option opens up the OPTION to be able to try the 'other side' of the game with a favored character.

• A wish to not continue with a current faction, but an inability to move their favored character that is 'trapped' within it's current faction can cause players to become 'disheartened' with the game.

• PvP Points. Players do not want to spend a huge amount of time re-grinding Valor, Social and whatever points they have spent a large amount of time gathering. -Tarrasch

Ways that it can be implemented:

• Faction change can be offered only to characters whom have hit the level cap, thus removing a majority of the 'storyline' issues.

• A storyline option can be made that characters must take so as to be able to change faction. This storyline could be interwoven with an 'explanation' of 'the story so far' that has occurred for the other side so as to offer smooth transition from one into the other.

• A paid option can be offered in the Cartel either as a separate paid option, or as a 'unlock' to the quest line that allows characters to transfer.

• There could be a new planet where Republic and Empire have to work together to defeat some sort of enemy. -EmperorDarkstar

• Could possibly implement it as Blizzard had,, no story involved. Just a faction switch, with a race and name change option and similar class switch. - ObiJuanShenobi

• Have a line of quests that could work similar to the EQ2 betrayal quest, only that it wouldn't be repeatable. -Kendaric

• Make it story based, to where if you switch factions, it would of been a pivotal part of your story. So you won't re roll a character, but instead you would betray your previous faction to help the other side. Let's say your playing a Sith Juggernaut, but the Sith Juggernaut actually does not agree with killing innocents, and has shown to keep the views that the republic holds (because in the sith story, you start off as a slave and thus is forced into the roll of a sith). So you would make a pivetol choice where you would go to the jedi home world, so as to help, and thus open up a new story line for your character, where you must prove to the jedi you are worthy, do things to show them you have changed, etc. What this will also do is add to where the sith will be wanting to kill you for betraying them, so you add that story into it as well.* -Masteries

Possible Costs to Character:

• Anyone taking advantage of this option could have to play through at least some portion of the storyline for their mirror class. -Jimvinny

• Potentially lose the use of its current equipment. (There is many Class restricted items, such as Legacy Items, End-Game armors, Faction only items(boss drop that have no mean to normally exist on the opposite side).* -Elysith

• A possible strip of titles and achievements as part of the switch. -Autorch

Please, for the sake of the game and the players, add the ability to change factions.

*Will add more bullets to the list for more reasons given on why/how faction change should be added.

Even if it was only available to level capped players, story would be an issue. Take the Jedi Consular whose last boss is

the child of the emperor.

Why would the Empire except someone who attacked someone that powerful?

The Agent killed

Darth Jadus, unless they sided with him, Ardun Kothe, unless they let him live.

The Bounty Hunter killed

Jedi Masters Kellian Jarro and Jun Seros, and possibly the Supreme Chancellor

The Inquisitor killed

The masters of Ashara Zavros on Taris, and Darth Thanaton

The Warrior killed

Nomen Karr and Darth Baras

The Smuggler killed

Several Sith, and a Grand Moff

The Trooper killed

Defector Tavus, General Rakton, and destroyed the Gauntlet

The Consular killed

Terrak Morrhage, and the Children of the Emperor

The Knight killed

Darth Angral, and the Emperor Himself

Now, I'd like to ask you: If suddenly the people who killed these colossal characters suddenly wanted to serve you, would YOU turn them down?

I sure as hell wouldn't, they could make great assets to our side. And yes, I am in favor of a storyline based defection system, maybe Bioware could sell an item on the Cartel Market that starts the process?

As mentioned in the other thread, I'm in full support of this as long as non-Force users can keep their classes without having to switch to their mirror class. Smugglers, agents, troopers and bounty hunters can and should exist on both sides after all.

As mentioned in the other thread, I'm in full support of this as long as non-Force users can keep their classes without having to switch to their mirror class. Smugglers, agents, troopers and bounty hunters can and should exist on both sides after all.

I somewhat like the idea of having those classes on both sides, but it's too far fetched for nearest times. It'd require storyline adjustments, new item sets for all those classes and the likes. Big no-no for now, but a good idea for a long-term change. Can't expect troopers to wear their republic wannabe clone trooper armour while serving the Empire. And republic agents would have to wear something new too. Grey uniforms are specific to imperial military structure ripped off from the old trilogy.

What about limitations too? You could only change faction of a character that already finished it's storyline? What about possible expansions with further story development, hmm? Then the lower level players would feel offended and butthurt about it, going to the forums and demanding earlier level faction change. As I said - big no-no for a long, long time.

Problems with allowing Allegiance Switching:

• Would lose all Companions except HK (if they've obtained him)
  • Would lose Class Ship
  • Would no longer be able to have any future Class Story
  • Would lose their Class Voice
  • Would lose their Weapon/Equipment
  • Would lose their Abilities

Among other stuff

TOR does NOT need a faction change system. There would be a lot of problems to overcome and it would not be worth the developers time and resources to make it work. Some players may want it, but I bet more don't. This is of zero importance to the game. I don't care if Warcrap added it. This game needs to be a lot less like that game. Subscriberrs have twelve character slots. If you want to play a Trooper and a BH, then make one of each. Edited by Kilikaa

I apologize if you stated this because I didn't read the whole thing but wouldn't this cause an even bigger faction imbalance. Characters switching to empire from Republic and Empire trying to escape from the mass majority of their own. I'm sure somewhere there is a solution to this but this is just my opinion.

• 1 year later...

This would require a lot and I mean a lot of changes to SWTOR . Each Class has different Animations,skill names and it's simple impossible to switch from Agent to Smuggler while having Agent's skills , lol . The only way this would be possible is either

1. Name each skill the same on Both Faction's

2. Same Animations for Both Faction's

or you could simply get ALL your skills removed , but this step will cost you 'shtlaods' of Credits to re-learn everything from level 1-51 ( + up ranks ....) !

Fixed it for you.

there is nothing holy about the undead.

until you put a bullet in the brain, THEN they are holy.

Oh be gone you hater of zombies. The undead have feelings too you know. But I suppose for this thread? Yes it is most certainly an unholy necro. By the way, well played.