life day items on cartel market insulting.

gabarooni

I'm curious that if someone opened a BMW dealer on the road you drive to and from work....

Would you stop and complain that they are "dangling a car at you" that you can't afford?

You know, there are people that "can" afford said things... and these are who the target customer is.

Sorry, but you can demand they give you a BMW all you want... But just because you drive by their dealer, doesn't entitle you to one. :D

I'm pretty sure I'm NOT paying a subscription to a BMW dealer. :)

Maybe I'd better check again in case you know something I don't. :eek:

• Replies 982
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Name one thing you dislike about SWTOR then? Except if you did then you'd be "ridiculous" complaing about a game which is something you say you could never do. Which leaves me a bit confused to be honest. :confused:

I dislike in game bugs that limit the ability to actually get access to the game that I am capably of actually doing. (I.E. SOA bug to name one)

There are decent complaints and then there are ridiculous complaints. You are falling into the later given what you're complaining about.

I could have even went along with you had your complaint been there should have been an alternate path to get the same gear holiday gear for those that subscribe but you didn't do that.

Edited by Quraswren

It's cursed by GREED!!! Nothing but pure GREED is to blame for Star Wars MMOs failing. Happened in SWG with the CU as they needed to keep up with W0W, and again with the NGE...now it's happened here with most of the same guys who sunk SWG, pretending they knew best what Star Wars fans wanted...now that they've failed again, they turn to the cash shop to milk their players...this has been the plan all along.

SWTOR didn't cost 150+mil to make...it couldn't have. SWTOR was simply designed to be a F2P cash shop.

I feel as you for the most part my friend. One point were we differ. I do believe that EA and BW actually "tried" to make a subscription MMORPG. But, the emperor couldn't see that his new suit was nonexistant and that they were serving up "stone soup" to all of us that were clamoring for "another Star Wars™" MMORPG. BW failed to produce seemingly so by EAs overhyping SWTOR and rushing it to market to put their grubby hands on some sort of short term ROI. I am all for making money but, the way EA has gone about it is no way to win lasting and long term customers. But, a big company with lots of properties can always burn their customers. They have the means to cover their losses in one area with a success in the other. When you are constantly juggling short term properties to carry each other as EA does one wonders when their entire house of cards will fall. :cool:

None. I generally don't gamble and take a wait and see approach to things. Personally, I don't care either way - it does not have a bearing on what I will buy in the store or affect my enjoyment of the game if they have an event or not.

That's a complete copout. :)

Either you think we'll get a Life Day Event or you don't, which is it?

Supposition is just that. We can also surmise that the core playerbase that remains are filled with enough whales to not make total number of subs matter. In the end, whether the game is in maintenance mode or not may not bother the core playerbase. GW1 has been that way for 3-4 years now.

BJ

No that's actually how the Freemium model works. :)

Maintanance mode isn't good, yes some will play it still, but they will be playing a zombie-game and there won't be many of them. :(

Well i love swtor but I have to say this makes me mad. This is the first mmo that I have ever played that makes you pay to enjoy holiday fun. There should really be quests to get these items at least for subs. This is a big fat fail imo bioware.

I agree, I haven't moaned about anything not bug related, been here since beta, always subbed, but this just smacks of an attempt to cash in and rip players off. Bioware, how about REWARDING your loyal subscribers with something more than 25 bloody fireworks ? I am not seeing anyone driving around in the Xmas speeder or wearing the Xmas outfit, I hope this meanness ends up slapping you in the face.

Having ship parts which appear to be essential to doing any of the new space missions on the market is also disturbing, I thought the cartel market wasn't going to be play to win ?

Oh and how about working out some rewards for for players above legacy 20 ? Y'know again the dedicated ones who have stuck in this game through all the bugs, and through thick and thin.

I dislike in game bugs that limit the ability to actually get access to the game that I am capably of actually doing. (I.E. SOA bug to name one)

There are decent complaints and then there are ridiculous complaints. You are falling into the later given what you're complaining about.

So would you complain about a dead bug on your steak? :confused:

Again though a bug may be a "ridculous" complaint to its exactly the same thing, complaining about somethign you don't like which apparently you "don't do", except when you do. :confused:

I could have even went along with you had your complaint been there should have been an alternate path to get the same gear holiday gear for those that subscribe but you didn't do that.

Er...... check my earlier posts, I said pretty much exactly that. :D :D :D

So it seems that you DO agree with me after all. :cool:

That's a complete copout. :)

Either you think we'll get a Life Day Event or you don't, which is it?

It's not a copout. I simply don't have an opinion one way or the other, because I do not care one way or the other, and so will not attempt to gaze in the crystal ball. It seems it's a moot point now anyway...

No that's actually how the Freemium model works. :)

Maintanance mode isn't good, yes some will play it still, but they will be playing a zombie-game and there won't be many of them. :(

Of course MM isn't good - as a player you always want to see a game continue to kick out content, but unless it be fan made mods, no game has ever done that ad infinitum. Therefore, is the content that is already there enough to keep the core playerbase with the whales around. GW1 has proven that it can for half of it's life already. In terms of SWTOR, it will for me. For anyone else, that's purely up to them. Clearly, SWTOR is not in MM yet and they are apparently still working on the SSSP. If that comes to fruition, I dare say that there will be more than enough to keep the core fanbase engaged for a few more years when MM does hit - same as it did for SWG.

BJ

Well i love swtor but I have to say this makes me mad. This is the first mmo that I have ever played that makes you pay to enjoy holiday fun. There should really be quests to get these items at least for subs. This is a big fat fail imo bioware.

Then don't buy them.

Well its official no lifeday event.

See the first BW post in http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=565517

That makes all of this about the money and nothing else without question.

Since when has the gaming industry been about anything but the money? And don't say Indie devs are all about the game and not the money, because while there are those dedicated few who only do it for the enjoyment of it, there are plenty Indies out there doing it for the money or to get enough street cred to be employeed by the Evil Nasty Corporate Empire. The naivety of the gaming populace never ceases to astound!!

BJ

Edited by BJWyler

I'm pretty sure I'm NOT paying a subscription to a BMW dealer. :)

Maybe I'd better check again in case you know something I don't. :eek:

These items are no different than any other Cartel shop items. They are not available otherwise and you must pay for these optional items. They add fun and amusement and go above and beyond what you get for subscribing.

That they are "holiday related" only increases their appeal. That means people will be more likely to want them. That means that people will be more likely to buy them.

OMG, what is this company thinking... wanting people to buy stuff so they can make some money?!? :rolleyes:

So would you complain about a dead bug on your steak? :confused:

Again though a bug may be a "ridculous" complaint to its exactly the same thing, complaining about somethign you don't like which apparently you "don't do", except when you do. :confused:

Whenever a bug on my food affects my in game play I'll get an answer for you.

Bug on food not so ridiculous. Crying about price on digital items you don't need. Very much ridiculous.

Er...... check my earlier posts, I said pretty much exactly that. :D :D :D

So it seems that you DO agree with me after all. :cool:

Depends, are you complaining about price and time limits or an alternate path through an in game event? If it's the later then yea we can agree. If its the former or both, then no not fully cause of what I have been reading you're all over the board on complaints today. EA, BW, time limits, price to high - you get my point I'm sure.

No but if the BMW dealer said you had to buy the steering wheel, back window sheild, and the 4th tire seperate, you would prob not buy their car.

Probably cause those things are needed for the car to work properly in most cases. So not getting the car would be the best choice there.

Not getting a Life day item will in no way stop you from playing the game or even remotely hinder playing the game beyond what someone might imagine it on a personal level.

In the MMO world, F2P games just dont usually do what BIOWARE is doing with their F2P game, so it does warrent some distrust and anger when you play and pay for a game.

Really? You mean those other games didnt try and charge me crazy store prices for items that I really didn't need and told me they would be around for only a limited time?

I must have been dreaming when that happened in other games.

It is just shocking a holiday event would only be on the CC market and nothing is just an in game event. I cannot remember any F2P MMO that has holiday events doing nothing for free.

I can agree with that. Only having it in store is much more a problem than the crying about the cost or time frame. I am shocked there is no way at this time to play the game through a subscription and hit a world event.

But even in my shock, without a world event (or something imagined up that players hoped we would get and we got a lesser version of that imagination), this is just stuff to sell and it makes little difference in the over all game.

Since when has the gaming industry been about anything but the money? And don't say Indie devs are all about the game and not the money, because while there are those dedicated few who only do it for the enjoyment of it, there are plenty Indies out there doing it for the money or to get enough street cred to be employeed by the Evil Nasty Corporate Empire. The naivety of the gaming populace never ceases to astound!!

BJ

Hardly naive more like I despise the commercialization of holidays in all contexts and I felt the people in this thread saying wait to see if there is going to be an event before voicing dissent on all this are the naive ones.

I never expected anything different than this outcome.

Game companys are in it for the money. Period.

We however do have a choice what we spend our money on. As I said earlier, I won't be buying holiday stuff. It crosses a personal line for me.

Hardly naive more like I despise the commercialization of holidays in all contexts and I felt the people in this thread saying wait to see if there is going to be an event before voicing dissent on all this are the naive ones.

I never expected anything different than this outcome.

Game companys are in it for the money. Period.

We however do have a choice what we spend our money on. As I said earlier, I won't be buying holiday stuff. It crosses a personal line for me.

Indeed. I am going to go a bit further and not support the CC store at all.

I see STO online store coming to SWTOR in the very near future with the P2win Space CC items.

Be prepared for Lock boxes as FP and OP drops were you have to purchase a key from the CC to open them for "random" gear. :rolleyes:

BJ

ALL business is about making money, but many of them manage to at least make you think they value you as a customer, and don't just treat you like a credit card number.

Well its official no lifeday event.

See the first BW post in http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=565517

That makes all of this about the money and nothing else without question.

Sad but true but who really didn't think the move to F2P would not be about making some cash? No matter what we all might have hoped, they are a company.

I can't imagine Bioware EA is suddenly going to go:

"Surprise! Remember all those items you paid a fortune for last week? Well this week for the low price of just 3000CC you can by the Life Day Event and get all the items you want for all your characters! Merry Life Day!"

I suspect the internet iself might melt.

Hence why I said any event items would be slight recolors. They can still sell the stuff on the CM but satisfy people who don't want to spend CC. Sure people who shelled out cash will be upset that someone has a near identical item but it's a matter of personal opinion of whether that's a rip off or not (keep in mind no where in the purchase does it say a reskin of this item will not be made available). Personally I don't think it would be a rip off since the people who get a reskin in a World Event still don't have the exact same item as the CM thing and you paid to get the CM item, not to have exclusive access to an item that would never under any circumstances have a doppelganger reskin.

And as I said an event can still earn them money because it then makes purchasing the Event Equipment Unlock actually serve a purpose since right now it's just a waste of space since there are no events. So a World Event still has the potential to earn them money even though it would appear to be giving items out for free.

You CANNOT "save up" for the Life Day Pack they are "limited time" only, and given that it would take a 6 monthly subsciber 4 months to save up enough coins, unless that "limited time" means until next Christmas it's just impossible.

I comprehend that. My point was that many assumed prices would never be low enough on non-limited time only items to be bought without saving up for months on end. Why should limited time items then be items you don't have to save up for in advance or shell out cash to get? It would completely defy logic having non-limited time items priced so high you have to save up CC for 4 months but a limited-time-super-special-this-day-only item as buyable with 1-2 months worth of CC. I've never heard of limited time items being priced as significantly less than non-limited time items in any sort of market, game or real world.

People should have KNOWN that limited time items would be priced as high or higher than regular CM items because that's how ALL limited time items work even in the real world.

And as I've said if they plan to have a World Event they will in no way advertise this because that would decrease sales as people wait for the World Event to get things for free instead of being impatient and buying now. People are assuming that because the devs aren't talking about a World Event that there won't be one when it could all be part of a careful marketing strategy. Now maybe I'll be proved wrong when the New Year comes and no World Event happened but until then I'm not going to moan about no event when it would clearly be a marketing folly to advertise it as giving access to items for free when you are trying to sell them for cash too.

Bioware has STATED in another thread they have no Holiday Event planned. (Today actually)

Doesn't mean more will not follow in the new year, but nothing this season it appears.

I just saw that. The post was written before I became aware. At any rate the rest still stands in terms of pricing.

This is my first MMO but in EA's F2P group run by EASY (Battlefield Heroes, P4F etc.) they always sell Holiday themed items. Thus I'm not at all surprised that they stick to this them of selling the items instead of giving them out for free. In light of that I'd have been far more surprised if they had said "hey guys Happy Life Day, here's a bunch of free stuff that even pure F2P people get!" (as it wouldn't sit well if only subs got holiday themed items leaving Preferred/F2P out and if they're going to sell it on the CM why not make everyone who wants them pay in that case? It'd be rather odd to say "here buy them on the CM or buy a 1 month sub and we'll mail them to you as a bonus")

Edited by Gavin_Kelvar

Hi!

First of all I see the need to have a F2P option for the game, but what you are doing with the holiday items is an insult for every loyal SWTOR player.

Every triple A mmo has his holiday events, that gives the players the chance to aquire special items with event tokens.

You just put all the holiday stuff on CM to let people pay for it, that's such a insolence for a player with a sub.

Don't you see what bad PR this is, what very bad PR?

I believe no one would have been upset, if you would have offered these items as optional CM items, that lazy players just can buy them and giving every player, well even if it's just the sub players, the chance to aquire the items in an ingame event.

I believe there are many players, that would spend some cash in the CM beside their sub, if the CM has reasonable offers, which have no bad effect for the core game.

If you sell CM Packs with super rare fluff items, which can be bought all the time, I'm all fine with that.

For some people just count raiding and gearing, but there are people who pay their sub, who enjoy ingame events especially the holiday events, because they have become standard in a mmo game.

Well, I like SWTOR, I'm a loyal player who payed my sub since release, but at this point I'm happy that I have a RIFT one year sub, where I can enjoy lots of events for free, so at least I have there my FREE christmas event.

If the CM turns out to charge every player for everything, than the game won't make it.

Not nice to close my thread.

Edited by DarthBeefPatty