Final Fantasy XIV A Realm Reborn

angel_dust

Just came out today, I figured since pvp is one foot down the grave in this game, I’ll try out a new MMO to fulfill my gaming needs. I really only pvp now in swtor due to work and family, but ever since the announcement of the removal of rank 8vs8, and tons of pve content on the supposedly big pvp patch, I knew the pvp in this game is pretty much dead or close to being dead. Arenas is cool for 2 or 3 matches, but then it’s very very VERY boring.

So if anyone else decides to try it out, let me know

Way to many reported server problems to play that game.

Just today they stopped all new character creations on the JP severs cause Americans were making toons over there causing problem?

WHY you ask we're American players making toons there?

They can't seem to play on Canada server here (which is where our servers are hosted) Cause the servers here have recently had a cap placed on them and you cannot get in to play. That, along with a no idle time out feature in game, gamers have learned that they should never log out, even when they go to work. They might not get back in later that night if they do log out.

It's been a rather cluster F since launch.

However, the game play is decent if you actually got to play. Nothing amazing but decent.

Just today they stopped all new character creations on the JP severs cause Americans were making toons over there causing problem?

They can't seem to play on Canada server here (which is where our servers are hosted) Cause the servers here have recently had a cap placed on them and you cannot get in to play. That, along with a no idle time out feature in game, gamers have learned that they should never log out, even when they go to work. They might not get back in later that night if they do log out.

However, the game play is decent if you actually got to play. Nothing amazing but decent.

lol, I called it. PoS is PoS.

As someone who played SWTOR at launch and FFARR at launch - SWTOR was worse. Yes they are having server issues but there are a TON more people in FF than SWTOR ever hoped for. FF11 was one of the biggest MMO's out there and it seems they are all jumping to FFARR.

Before you throw stones SE's way - remember your throwing them out of Bioware's Glass house...SWTOR had a terrible launch too.

As far as the game goes - it is really completely jaw-dropping amazing what they did to FF14 - I beta tested Original FF14 and I screamed and kicked all over the beta forums about how absolutely horrible that game was - but fanbois went crazy on the beta forums and look what happened. ARR is pretty much an entirely new game - They even rewrote the Storyline saying that the world is made because Bahamut got really PO'd and basically destroyed the entire world...lol - the analogy to the RL situations of FF is not lost...

I am super impressed with FFARR, it really is pretty dang good - lvl 1 - 15 is pretty standard MMO stuff, but once ya hit 15 and get out into the world and start running dungeons - It really is pretty great.

As someone who played SWTOR at launch and FFARR at launch - SWTOR was worse. Yes they are having server issues but there are a TON more people in FF than SWTOR ever hoped for. FF11 was one of the biggest MMO's out there and it seems they are all jumping to FFARR.

SWTOR had ridiculously long queues during the first days of launch, but that's about it as far as people being "unable" to play goes - they never had to lock down character creation or something.

If you want an example of "worse" you might want to look at GW2, who actually stopped selling the game for a few weeks because their infrastructure couldn't handle the huge amount of players. :p

Edited by Callaron

Before you throw stones SE's way - remember your throwing them out of Bioware's Glass house...SWTOR had a terrible launch too.

As far as the game goes - it is really completely jaw-dropping amazing what they did to FF14 - I beta tested Original FF14 and I screamed and kicked all over the beta forums about how absolutely horrible that game was - but fanbois went crazy on the beta forums and look what happened. ARR is pretty much an entirely new game - They even rewrote the Storyline saying that the world is made because Bahamut got really PO'd and basically destroyed the entire world...lol - the analogy to the RL situations of FF is not lost..

I am super impressed with FFARR, it really is pretty dang good - lvl 1 - 15 is pretty standard MMO stuff, but once ya hit 15 and get out into the world and start running dungeons - It really is pretty great.

I have to disagree Swotor had a smooth launch they even boasted about it. But I've only had one other mmo launch under my belt and that was Swg. Which was horrid!!!

As far as the game goes - it is really completely jaw-dropping amazing what they did to FF14 - I beta tested Original FF14 and I screamed and kicked all over the beta forums about how absolutely horrible that game was - but fanbois went crazy on the beta forums and look what happened. ARR is pretty much an entirely new game - They even rewrote the Storyline saying that the world is made because Bahamut got really PO'd and basically destroyed the entire world...lol - the analogy to the RL situations of FF is not lost...

lol what? FF11 wasn't even a blip on the map. As for SW:TOR at launch...yeah, there were queues. That's about it. It was really smooth (besides the graphical glitches, but we're not talking about that). Now, if you want to discuss their server sizes etc...that I can get behind.

If you want an example of "worse" you might want to look at GW2, who actually stopped selling the game for a few weeks because their infrastructure couldn't handle the huge amount of players. :p

WoW did the same thing.

Not only that but their servers were constantly going down for years to come. I remember my server having full days off constantly during Wrath of the Lich King.

Proof: http://www.threadmeters.com/wow/nhMO6q/Emberstorm_and_Whirlwind_down_again/

Also, GW2 has great PvP compared to the games mentioned here. Arenanet is one of those mythical companies that focuses purely on PvP.

Edited by Glumish

SWTOR was the smoothest launch I have ever been apart of. The server I was on never had a queue longer then a few minutes. I can't even get onto the FF servers half the time. Not bc of a queue but bc of the connection being lost. Some of my friends can't even get on the same server, it's a complete train wreck.

I have no intention of trying the game. The FF series is not for me personally.

That said.. I generally check out the customer rated "The most helpful critical review" on Amazon for products.

For FFXIV it would be here: http://www.amazon.com/review/R1GK167ZP8G72E/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B00CMSCV4Q&linkCode=&nodeID=&tag=

It's still early.. but the customer scoring on the game is low on Amazon, even for an MMO (which are notoriously polarized) on Amazon Reviews. http://www.amazon.com/Final-Fantasy-XIV-Reborn-Download/product-reviews/B00CMSCV4Q/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1 the most negative reviews are driven mostly by poor access to the servers... which frankly.. one would think Square Enix would have a leg up on every other company and be able to avoid now with FF-umteenth

Edited by Andryah

It's clear that you have no idea what you're talking about just from that statement.

SWTOR had a exceptionally smooth launch. I'd take a small que time such as SWTOR had VS FF14 and the you can't get in the game at all cause we capped server populations as well as having a Que system and to just pile on the negative problems FF14 is having, there is no idle auto-log out. So, what we are finding is people who never log out so guess what. You may not get in at all even after you bought the game.

If I had to make one complaint about SWTOR and it's launch, I feel they spread out the population to much with too many servers and only a few had que times.

Like I said above. It's a cluster "F" over there at FF14 right now. Fixable? Sure, it not before it put some hard to recover negativity on the game.

As far as the game goes it's another tab-target MMO, it has very good graphics and similar game play that most tab target games have. There is a 2.5 second global cooldown so I feel like I'm standing around.

It's a decent game but at the core of it, when you can't get in to play due to server mismanagement and that bit of negativity brings the entire game down to, "Why did I even bother with this POS!"

Cause when you can't play the game, nothing else really matters no matter how good it is.

As someone who played SWTOR at launch and FFARR at launch - SWTOR was worse.

What are you on, SWTOR was one of the smoothest MMO launches ever. The issues with this game were elsewhere.

What I'm hearing is they're not even trying to stagger server launches or have any kind of login queue. I hear they're just trying to toy with the idea of PVP as well. It's like they've never made an MMO before (yes I know they have but still...).

The 'root when you do an ability' thing reminds me of Aion. No thanks.

Did not like Aion either, but the "root when doing an ability" was not something people should have focused on in my opinion, and was a design aspect I think of perfectly legit.

I remember that many people were complaining about it... "Hey, I can't use X when I'm on the move while it is instant ! That's abnormal ! Fix it now !"

But everytime, complains were about abilities that were labelled as "0s cast". People made an assumption that "0s cast" equaled "instant", but in fact it didn't. "Instant" was another category of skills.

"0s cast" was doing exactly what it supposed to be : as a "cast" it couldn't be done on the move, however as its duration was "0s" you don't prepare it either. It was like a cop/military stopping running to run in order to have a steady aim when shooting, but without spending time to carefully aim, and shoot on the whim.

I don't know if you noticed this difference by the time you played, but I did during my 2 months of playing (as a Sorcerer, so I was full of "0s cast" abilities instead of "instants") and this root thing did not bothered me the least.

I thought it was an interesting, perfectly viable and legit way of differentiating abilties...

However I'm not aware of what exactly is this "root when doing an ability" thing in FF... It may be complely different.

Can someone take care to enlight me ? Does it apply to every abilities, or only some ?

(Note that the answer will not make me change my mind about this game, that I'm not interested)

Did not like Aion either, but the "root when doing an ability" was not something people should have focused on in my opinion, and was a design aspect I think of perfectly legit.

I remember that many people were complaining about it... "Hey, I can't use X when I'm on the move while it is instant ! That's abnormal ! Fix it now !"

But everytime, complains were about abilities that were labelled as "0s cast". People made an assumption that "0s cast" equaled "instant", but in fact it didn't. "Instant" was another category of skills.

"0s cast" was doing exactly what it supposed to be : as a "cast" it couldn't be done on the move, however as its duration was "0s" you don't prepare it either. It was like a cop/military stopping running to run in order to have a steady aim when shooting, but without spending time to carefully aim, and shoot on the whim.

I don't know if you noticed this difference by the time you played, but I did during my 2 months of playing (as a Sorcerer, so I was full of "0s cast" abilities instead of "instants") and this root thing did not bothered me the least.

I thought it was an interesting, perfectly viable and legit way of differentiating abilties...

However I'm not aware of what exactly is this "root when doing an ability" thing in FF... It may be complely different.

Can someone take care to enlight me ? Does it apply to every abilities, or only some ?

(Note that the answer will not make me change my mind about this game, that I'm not interested)

I just picked it up and am installing. Largely due to things a lot of people don't like, I kind of do.

Anyway, from the videos I have seen, which have come up just in the past 24 hours really; it seems any action you do, you stop to do it. There is no attacking while running. Seems like that is the gameplay if you ask me. You either chose to move and evade or attack/heal/whatever.

Puts me in mind of the old turn style combat really; just with the MMO hot hey skin where you push the button or you run, just no box popping up where it is an obvious choice, and you do move when you mover rather than sitting there waiting for your target to make their choice.

Probably not for everyone but I feel like it makes everything you do more deliberate rather than following a rotation.

Edited by Technohic

Anyway, from the videos I have seen, which have come up just in the past 24 hours really; it seems any action you do, you stop to do it. There is no attacking while running. Seems like that is the gameplay if you ask me. You either chose to move and evade or attack/heal/whatever.

I saw that too and figured the person playing the game was 'too bad' to attack while moving.

I mean, they are backpedaling and clicking.

Edited by Glumish

I saw that too and figured the person playing the game was 'too bad' to attack while moving.

I mean, they are backpedaling and clicking.

You could probably get away with that in that game. Got in a bit last night. Feels very old school. Not as old school as UO used to be where you would just cclick to attack then say click your bandages and pick your target,, but not far offf from that. More like EQ maybe in it is class based and a themepark, yet obviously more modern graphics without being quite as on rails like SWTOR. Even tge crafting reminds me og UO intgat you see other players doing it and you hear it.

I would say the combat is not as good as here unless you like that old school feel but the world is so much more alive, in both environment sounds inherent with the NPCs, as well as playersl which you see tons of right now in the same place with the congestion it is experiencing, yet it handles it very well while the hero engine here would choke

Not for everyone, but I likeit so far

Sorry for bad typing. On phone and its a pain to edit

Edited by Technohic

I have been playing it a lot over this last week. A lot of misconceptions on this thread on how the game actually plays. The game engine runs fantastic, even with tons of people on screen. The environments are breathtaking. You also have weather and night/day cycles. Textures on objects also look fantastic. Gear looks really detailed, even at the low levels. One thing that always bothered me about swtor was how crappy the textures on gear looked.

Abilities don't root you, you just have to stand still for casting spells. I play an archer and can run all over the place while kiting enemies. No problems firing off arrows while moving. Love the class system, you only have to play one character and you can pick up all the classes in the game. You can hold gear for multiple classes and switch back and forth at will outside of combat. Crafting seems a lot more deeper than this game, a lot more involved.

Yes it's another theme park MMO but there are a lot of different leveling paths to change things up. Also a lot of ways to gain XP. You have the main story quest line, side quests in all the areas, class quests, area events, group quests / dungeon runs, also quests that are timed and solo called levequests. Plus you can just kill mobs for XP.

There are issues that some people might get angry about. Servers are packed right now and it's a problem logging in at peak hours. Some might not like the game play. The global cooldown is a lot slower. The old school players will like this, it's not a keyboard faceroll like the current crop of MMOs. No skill trees (which I like). My big thing I love about the game is the gorgeous environments with the class changing system. No more 800 alts, just swap mainhand item / weapon to change your class. The game remembers your hotbar setup for each class.

Not everyone will like it but whatever, different games for different people. Plus no damn cash shop taking up 90% of the development teams time. All subscription, all content into the game.

I have been playing it a lot over this last week. A lot of misconceptions on this thread on how the game actually plays. The game engine runs fantastic, even with tons of people on screen. The environments are breathtaking. You also have weather and night/day cycles. Textures on objects also look fantastic. Gear looks really detailed, even at the low levels. One thing that always bothered me about swtor was how crappy the textures on gear looked.

Abilities don't root you, you just have to stand still for casting spells. I play an archer and can run all over the place while kiting enemies. No problems firing off arrows while moving. Love the class system, you only have to play one character and you can pick up all the classes in the game. You can hold gear for multiple classes and switch back and forth at will outside of combat. Crafting seems a lot more deeper than this game, a lot more involved.

Yes it's another theme park MMO but there are a lot of different leveling paths to change things up. Also a lot of ways to gain XP. You have the main story quest line, side quests in all the areas, class quests, area events, group quests / dungeon runs, also quests that are timed and solo called levequests. Plus you can just kill mobs for XP.

There are issues that some people might get angry about. Servers are packed right now and it's a problem logging in at peak hours. Some might not like the game play. The global cooldown is a lot slower. The old school players will like this, it's not a keyboard faceroll like the current crop of MMOs. No skill trees (which I like). My big thing I love about the game is the gorgeous environments with the class changing system. No more 800 alts, just swap mainhand item / weapon to change your class. The game remembers your hotbar setup for each class.

Not everyone will like it but whatever, different games for different people. Plus no damn cash shop taking up 90% of the development teams time. All subscription, all content into the game.

Sums it up nicely. It really is different strokes for different folks. FF ARR wasn't even on my radar until.I started seeing some bad reviews and realized a lot of peoples cons are pros for me

Half of my guild went inactive because of FF14.

I think FF14 has potential to come out ahead of its competitors. It implemented a lot of the facebook games elements that girls love, like farming, house building, decorating... etc. with good graphics and systems too. That is a whole new demographic of audience that no other MMO has tapped into before. My wife got interested in FF14 because of these elements, which may eventually drag me into it too...

That space PvP better come out soon, or SWTOR is going to quickly lose ground.

Half of my guild went inactive because of FF14.

I think FF14 has potential to come out ahead of its competitors. It implemented a lot of the facebook games elements that girls love, like farming, house building, decorating... etc. with good graphics and systems too. That is a whole new demographic of audience that no other MMO has tapped into before. My wife got interested in FF14 because of these elements, which may eventually drag me into it too...

That space PvP better come out soon, or SWTOR is going to quickly lose ground.

That stuff is not new to an MMO. Ultima had most of it long before there was a Facebook. It's just been a forgotten art in MMOs and it is rather new to the easier accessed them park style MMO as far as I am aware.

I haven't tried it, but it's a shame that they are having such server trouble - at this point it looks like one of those MMO's that launched with a botched start.

But at least they are being decent about it and giving people refunds.

Server trouble seems to have been fixed. Now the big complaint is not being able to find a hard copy and digital downloads are suspended for the time being. It really is a good game, just no PvP yet, but it's coming. Ironic thing is in this game, I had been playing with my only interest being not much more than PvP. In FF ARR, I don't really care.