Tier 4 Gear in Game Update 5.2

EricMusco

(Strictly MHO, of course)

It's not even remotely Musco, OK? Musco just reports the news, he doesn't make it.)

[/i]

To be fair, I didn't call out Musco individually at all. I am well aware of the fact that Musco's job as community manager means just that. I specifically made it ambiguous with 'you all' and 'we' as to not implicate any single person. I'm simply looking for the answers to those questions I posted, they don't need to name anybody for that nor am I seeking to pass the blame to a single person.

Edited by Darth_Xyphos

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please (PLEASE) make the gear items that drop from Command Crates generic -- like a universal token. Even better, make that token bind-to-legacy! We could then take that token to the appropriate Fleet vendor to purchase an item, similar to upgrading an item to the next-higher tier today. This would remove the issue of getting dup/triplicates and also help with gearing alts.

Thanks for the detailed info.

While we do have plans for new items in the future, these may or may not come with additional Ranks or through a new Tier level. Once we determine the appropriate delivery mechanism, we’ll let you know, but more than likely that’ll be much later in the year!

Let us know your thoughts, thanks everyone.

-eric

My thoughts on the "appropriate delivery mechanism": No new Command ranks please. I have 10 alts on the bench atm that I used to and loved to play regularly. I don't have the nerve to push more than the two character's I have been working on since 5.0 trough any Command Ranks whatsoever and I'm hearing the same thing from friends and guildies.

So please do determine a different delivery mechanism. Otherwise I will be having a very hard time trying to find reasons to stick to SWTOR.

Please (PLEASE) make the gear items that drop from Command Crates generic -- like a universal token. Even better, make that token bind-to-legacy! We could then take that token to the appropriate Fleet vendor to purchase an item, similar to upgrading an item to the next-higher tier today. This would remove the issue of getting dup/triplicates and also help with gearing alts.

I'd love to see that.

I'd love to see a way to get unassembled components other than PVP/GSF. Maybe buy them with command tokens or place them in daily areas, URs or FP so that there is a PVE aspect to upgrading gear as well.

Thanks for the detailed info.

My thoughts on the "appropriate delivery mechanism": No new Command ranks please. I have 10 alts on the bench atm that I used to and loved to play regularly. I don't have the nerve to push more than the two character's I have been working on since 5.0 trough any Command Ranks whatsoever and I'm hearing the same thing from friends and guildies.

So please do determine a different delivery mechanism. Otherwise I will be having a very hard time trying to find reasons to stick to SWTOR.

This.

A nebulous Command Rank system where characters level through a promiscuous ladder tree will not work as a discipline-specific tiered content difficulty MMO progression system where characters level through actual content. These two systems are mutually exclusive in form, fit and function.

FIX: Revert the entire game from starter planets through level cap Operations back to our pre-4.0 tiered content difficulty progression system and use Command Ranks as a subordinate and non-critical achievement system that compliments the Legacy system.

Live content progression needs live loot tables. Period. A nebulous Command Crate system where characters acquire gear via an indiscriminate lottery system that has nothing to do with the content being progressed through is unreliable and will not work. Like their progression system counterparts these two systems are mutually exclusive in form, fit and function.

FIX: Revert the entire game (not just Ops bosses) back to our pre-4.0 live loot table system and use Command Crates as a subordinate and non-critical gear and rewards system.

After removing Galactic Command from the front lines and into a purely supporting role ...

• for Crate drops maybe add unassembled components to construct class and build specific BoL Command Gear similar to WoW's Heirloom gear that levels with a character through level cap, with a token system that can be added to future expansions where each token can be applied to an individual BoL Command Gear piece to update it to the new level cap.
  • Maybe even have each of the 7 tracks award a specific BoL Tier set (without set bonuses) that is indigenous to its track (ship components for the GSF track, additional story arcs for the Chapters track, additional wings for Uprisings, Flashpoints and Operations tracks, etc...) that initially starts at Tier 1 and increases to a next tier in Legacy with each additional character that completes the grind.

Those are just a couple of ideas that may well give players reason to grind Command Ranks, while those whose focus is progressing through "the real live game" can do so without having a cantankerous and convoluted system drag them through the mud for reasons that have nothing to do with what they are specifically playing.

Galactic Command can work really well as a supporting and non-specialized achievement and rewards system. It just can't do what a MMO needs for either a main progression or loot system. The game's original MMO progression and loot systems never should have been removed because they worked great and were a helluva lot better on their worst days than GC will ever be capable of.

Edited by GalacticKegger

Eric,

Question, if you are going to now cap the CXP level at 300 and not let it go up at all for Tier 4, how will you handle this Tier 5 you say is a few months away? It seems to me you should still have had some levels of GC to make future releases of tiers work in your current system. I mean will T5 just be GC Level 301, or would you make T5 be 300 and just adjust the levels of the tiers below that?

Hey Eric,

will there be Tier 4 schematics? If so, how will the crafted gear relate to Tier 3 Legendary gear?

As an Assassin Tank I heavily rely on crafted Mods and Enhancements, so I would greatly appreciate if you could give us some info on that :rak_03:

Guardian tank here and I agree- in the current gear state the bis gear for tanks is not, in fact, bis. Will there be something like the 240 mods and enhancements we're currently using in the new tier (i.e. if theres 248 gear coming, will 246 crafted mods/enhancements be coming too?)

Maybe it was already mentioned and I simply overread it, but will we be able to trade in tier 3 legendary(242) to tier 4 with unassembled components and command tokens as well?

So does it make sense to keep Iokath Mk-5 shells for 5.2 in order to trade them in?

Maybe it was already mentioned and I simply overread it, but will we be able to trade in tier 3 legendary(242) to tier 4 with unassembled components and command tokens as well?

So does it make sense to keep Iokath Mk-5 shells for 5.2 in order to trade them in?

I would hold onto all upgradable shells, even unused tier 1 shells, until 5.2 goes live, because we don't know what UC prices will be yet. Will it be cheaper to upgrade Tier 1 to Tier 2 than to directly purchase Tier 2? Do we need Tier 3 BiS to upgrade to Tier 4 BiS? I've got my opinion on the answer to both questions, but it's always best to keep your options open.

Why do you force us to play PvP to earn unassebled components? The CXP for PvP is pretty balanced to the PvE. You should take that away. I'm rank CXP rank 283 right now, climbing to 300 and all I got is a four set-bonus (and about 50 doubles). It would have taken me much less time to get my gear sets via PvP, so why do you force us to play the PvP? PvE should give you unassembled components as well, or get rid of the CXP earned for PvP to make it more balanced.

Because people who farm easy content shouldn't be rewarded on the same level as those who put a lot of effort into beating the hardest content.

Previously you couldn't get any BiS from Flashpoints/Heroics/SM Ops. Now you can, though you need RNG. If they added lots of components to PvE, people would just farm more instead of trying to challenge themselves. If they added very little components to PvE, people would whine about how slow the grind is.

Because people who farm easy content shouldn't be rewarded on the same level as those who put a lot of effort into beating the hardest content.

Previously you couldn't get any BiS from Flashpoints/Heroics/SM Ops. Now you can, though you need RNG. If they added lots of components to PvE, people would just farm more instead of trying to challenge themselves. If they added very little components to PvE, people would whine about how slow the grind is.

I think it would be nice if Unassembled Components took the place of commendations/crystals, and you started getting a few from each flashpoint/ops boss you killed, and some more for doing the daily random FPs/ops and the weekly quests. I'm not saying they should award tons, but a drop rate comparable to the old commendations/crystals in 3.0 and 4.0 would be nice. That would let players who don't do PvP to still save up for gear if RNGesus is unkind to them.

Edited by AscendingSky

I mean if you're gonna compare it to crystals in 4.x then you couldn't get BiS (224) there either, the best you could get is gear 4 grades below BiS (220), and no set bonuses. Right now, even if you get unlucky you can get 2 grades below. And once you reach it once you can start gearing your alts as well, by giving the CXP packs to your main for near-BiS mods/schematics. Edited by Eli_Porter

bring 100 new rank is a terrible idea...

even with the actual boost, it's so long to upgrade your rank. and for what? for nothing because in the 5.2 the lesser item dropped will eb better than the better tier 3...

do you realize the stupidity bioware?

And we can't play different toon if we just want to be decently geared with only one. it's the total opposite to what you promote during last years : playing and create multiple toons.

how many players are ready and motivated to grind again and again your 100 new rank??

it's really terrible what you do with this game.

Edited by Thaladan

Good thing for us that they decided to keep rank 300 as highest rank.

Yet they're adding a new tier of gear, which effectively adds more levels you have to grind to GC. You haven't been paying attention to EAWare press releases this past month, it seems. Nor did you read the original EAWare post that started this thread! Bad white knight, no biscuit!

http://dulfy.net/2017/03/03/swtor-changes-command-ranks-patch-5-2/

Edited by AscendingSky

I'm unclear on this and still can't get a straight answer- and I'm curious if anyone knows. Is it only tyth and other forthcoming content that requires the new 248 gear going forward or are the rest of the NIM ops (EC, TFB, SNV, DP AND DF) also being buffed up to require the 248 gear. If so I'm done with raiding, we just got our teams geared to almost best in slot and we only have 2 weeks of raid time before we have to begin the Long haul again???? I'm very confused.

I'm unclear on this and still can't get a straight answer- and I'm curious if anyone knows. Is it only tyth and other forthcoming content that requires the new 248 gear going forward or are the rest of the NIM ops (EC, TFB, SNV, DP AND DF) also being buffed up to require the 248 gear. If so I'm done with raiding, we just got our teams geared to almost best in slot and we only have 2 weeks of raid time before we have to begin the Long haul again???? I'm very confused.

I have no clue.

I figured that only the new boss/content will really call for the new tier, and with PVP's bolster moving up that remains relatively unchanged.