Deserter Lockout, terrible new mechanic

Voriik

My first post on this forum ever, and for good reason. The Title. It sucks, reverse immediately, preferably by the next update. It's redundant, backfill is there for this very reason. This mechanic would only make sense if quitters permanently left unranked teams lopsided and unbalanced, but no, theres usually a replacement within mere seconds. Literally nobody was asking for this, only in Ranked Warzones where a quitter actually does screw their team over. This new feature is trash, you really missed which way the wind was blowing with the crowd here, very bad read on your part Bioware.

So glad I play stealth classes if I'm ever solo. Not budging and want to make unranked worse? Fine. I'll just sit in a corner and AFK or just stay dead on the floor until the match is over while my team gets creamed in a stacked fight. It's what they deserve for agreeing with this.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lol yeh i am gonna have to stealth afk now as well, time to grief biofail :rak_03:

You know Bioware don’t care, so you aren’t griefing them, you are doing it to the other 7 players on your team.

Which if you are doing it to grief, is actually against the terms of service and reportable and banable,

It’s a bit of a d*** move to do it your team.

You know Bioware don’t care, so you aren’t griefing them, you are doing it to the other 7 players on your team.

Which if you are doing it to grief, is actually against the terms of service and reportable and banable,

It’s a bit of a d*** move to do it your team.

Yeah. Maybe after awhile these losers who quit matches because their egos can't handle a loss will quit the game altogether. That would clean it up, and improve the quality of the matches.

This happens thanks to anonymity. I mean no one would go enter a basketball game at the gym, then just start sitting on the hardwood refusing to play because the other team had far better players. Imagine how dumb and pathetic a person looks doing this! Yet, here on the internet this childish, selfish, pathetic behavior is determined by individuals to be a proper reaction?

That's what is wrong with the world today, living on the internet has made people more comfortable being disrespectful and nasty to others because there simply are no repercussions for them to face. This isn't anything new to us, we all see people behave this way on games, it's ironic because these players who behave this way are a big part of the problem but they lack personal self awareness to understand that.

This happens thanks to anonymity. I mean no one would go enter a basketball game at the gym, then just start sitting on the hardwood refusing to play because the other team had far better players. Imagine how dumb and pathetic a person looks doing this! Yet, here on the internet this childish, selfish, pathetic behavior is determined by individuals to be a proper reaction?

That's what is wrong with the world today, living on the internet has made people more comfortable being disrespectful and nasty to others because there simply are no repercussions for them to face. This isn't anything new to us, we all see people behave this way on games, it's ironic because these players who behave this way are a big part of the problem but they lack personal self awareness to understand that.

Absolutely. I was just reading an interesting article on cheating in games which lead to another article on trolling and toxicity in gaming. Both of which point to anonymity being a big contributor.

Here, I’ll link them for you cause I think you’ll find them interesting,

https://www.esports.net/news/cheating-in-fps-games-why-do-players-cheat-and-what-can-be-done/

https://mindtheethos.com/2016/08/14/the-psychology-of-cheating-why-do-people-cheat-in-multiplayer-games/

https://www.theverge.com/2020/5/6/21246229/pc-gaming-cheating-aimbots-wallhacks-hacking-tools-developer-response-problem

https://www.esports.net/news/tackling-toxic-gaming-behavior/

My first post on this forum ever, and for good reason. The Title. It sucks, reverse immediately, preferably by the next update. It's redundant, backfill is there for this very reason. This mechanic would only make sense if quitters permanently left unranked teams lopsided and unbalanced, but no, theres usually a replacement within mere seconds. Literally nobody was asking for this, only in Ranked Warzones where a quitter actually does screw their team over. This new feature is trash, you really missed which way the wind was blowing with the crowd here, very bad read on your part Bioware.

So glad I play stealth classes if I'm ever solo. Not budging and want to make unranked worse? Fine. I'll just sit in a corner and AFK or just stay dead on the floor until the match is over while my team gets creamed in a stacked fight. It's what they deserve for agreeing with this.

Or you could, ya know, just play the match instead of leaving at the first sign of a loss. Players like you deserve the lockout.

Exactly, in unranked the moment someone left that team instantly got a replacement which means that unranked didn't need stinky deserter. Now players are locked in huttball they hate, in fights against full premades etc. Just go for a deathmatch if you are forced to play unwanted matches or sit afk. Thats all this stinky mechanic deserves

Exactly, in unranked the moment someone left that team instantly got a replacement which means that unranked didn't need stinky deserter. Now players are locked in huttball they hate, in fights against full premades etc. Just go for a deathmatch if you are forced to play unwanted matches or sit afk. Thats all this stinky mechanic deserves

When was the last time you even saw a premade? The one time I ran into one I was in a group as well. Outside of that when solo queuing I haven't seen a premade in forever.

Now players are locked in huttball they hate, in fights against full premades etc.

Good, maybe these people will reconsider not quitting and screwing over their teams by quitting matches and with them facing actual competitive enemies maybe they will get better themselves.

Add in selectable WZs, and I will support this quitter debuff 100%. For now, I only can tentatively support it, because I feel it was poorly implemented. It should have been added after WZ choices was added.

Yeah. Maybe after awhile these losers who quit matches because their egos can't handle a loss will quit the game altogether. That would clean it up, and improve the quality of the matches.

I think anonymity is part of it, but I don't like the direction of these arguments because a) complaining about anonymity on the internet implies that is something we should "fix" whereas anonymity IS the fix, and b) These complaints about the internet tend to minimize the fact that these behaviors occur irl too, they just aren't directly analogous. It's a slippery slope and I'm very wary of arguments that point to some inherent problem with internet privacy.

Edited by Ardrossan

When was the last time you even saw a premade? The one time I ran into one I was in a group as well. Outside of that when solo queuing I haven't seen a premade in forever.

Lmfao I see premades almost everyday on both Star Forge and Darth Malgus.

The leaver penalty would make sense if we had a queuing system similar to flashpoints. I don't want to be forced to do Huttball and bieng afk during a match is definitely worse than leaving. Leavers are usually replaced very quickly anyway.

Seems pretty poorly implemented, the least they could have done is not apply the lockout until after the match has actually started.

I'm not really crazy about the idea of being forced to play warzones that I don't enjoy and I don't see how leaving a match with over a minute left on the start timer is going to hurt anyone.

Edited by nzologic

premades are the only reason i quit anyways, i dont mind anything else.

tell me why swtor is the only game where premades matched with reg/pugs??

every other game has some sort of limit or system set-up

What is their limits, and/or what system set-up do other games use? I am just asking out of curiosity I never seen a game but SWTOR with this premade problem tbh.

What is their limits, and/or what system set-up do other games use? I am just asking out of curiosity I never seen a game but SWTOR with this premade problem tbh.

league only lets you duo, you can do more but then you go to a completely different queue.

they had a system similar to swtor for 1 season(1yr) i think it was 2017 or 2018, you could have 5 people premade and stomp randoms. the result was everyone's ranked rating was super inflated.

wot only allows 3 people in a platoon, they are marked. anyone on your team and other can see if you're premade or not. generally premades are looked down upon in wot. list goes on for lots of games

league only lets you duo, you can do more but then you go to a completely different queue.

they had a system similar to swtor for 1 season(1yr) i think it was 2017 or 2018, you could have 5 people premade and stomp randoms. the result was everyone's ranked rating was super inflated.

wot only allows 3 people in a platoon, they are marked. anyone on your team and other can see if you're premade or not. generally premades are looked down upon in wot. list goes on for lots of games

Ah ok, interesting I never played these games but unfortunately SWTOR doesn’t bend to player feedback no matter how unpopular a feature is on the game.

This goes counter to common sense, you’d think they’d want to meet players at least half way to create a game people assuredly enjoy but nope. As Yoda once said, “finger on the pulse BioWare does not have.“

I have a firm, SOLID opinion on this, now that I was disconnected from the server WHILE LOADING INTO THE MAP.

I should *NOT* be locked out for a problem that is beyond my control. This is garbage. :mad:

Get rid of the deserter debuff bioware. Get rid of it. :mad:

I don't like the 4v4 format, and will continue to quit them when I get one like I did earlier today before deciding that the lockout timer was reason enough for me to log off and do something else with my time.

If they would allow me to choose which maps I queue for, then the deserter rule might make sense. Until then I think that this rule sucks.

I like this new format . My only complaint with it is that I cannot quit hutballs at the start and I am forced to... deathmatch and farm kills / solo kills. But hey.. , I can live with it.

Players are trying harder to win and if it's not winnable , it's time for dps and killing farms . Like ok, cannot win, but let's make the best out of it. ;)

overall i saw an increase in teamplay *******s now actually play objectives and call incs. number of premades went through the roof though. everyone is grouping now....

some losers still ruin the games by going afk or leaving, causing you to fight opponents while out numbered

If they would allow me to choose which maps I queue for, then the deserter rule might make sense. Until then I think that this rule sucks.

Yeah. My point from the beginning, too. They ought to implement map selection sooner than later since they already added the quitter debuff. These two features really got to go together for it to not cause resentment in the players.

The whole point of adding a quitter debuff is to alleviate resentment and to make for better matches. The problem is no matter how well the teams are formed and no matter how well players are disabled from quitting matches early, this means nothing for as long as players are forced into playing maps they don't like.

You can't make people spend time in a queue, only to get a map they hate, and then only to have them eat a quitter debuff because they left the map they hate and expect them to feel good about it.

The map selection should have come first then the quitter debuff.