[Legacy in 1.3] & beyond: compendium

Deewe

Thought of a few more:

1. Legacy Combat styles. You can imagine the situation, you've rolled as a Guardian Tank because you want to wear Heavy Armor, but then you notice how cool Sentinels look duel wielding or or Shadows with their double-bladed sabers. I know you can go a create an alt for those class types (I have both a Shadow and a Marauder) but neither use heavy armor and I play best as a Tank.

So my idea is have a legacy unlock that allows 1 character to use the combat style (and weapon types) of another. They would obviously need to be restrictions:

a. The unlock is only available at lvl 50

b. You must have an alt with that combat style

c. A minimum legacy lvl is required (say 15)

d. Both characters, the one your taking the style from and the one you are unlocking it on must have completed Chapter 1

e. 100k in credits

f. You can only choose 1 unlock per character, so your Guardian can choose to either duel wield or use a double blade saber, not both.

g. Jedi/Sith can onlu unlock Saber styles and BH\Trooper\Agents\Smugglers can only unlock Guns.

You would still be able to use your AC's original style and would not gain any of the donor ACs combat moves.

2. Alt summons. Imagine your in a vicious battle with a Boss in KP or EC and you need some urgent support. Well what about calling your alts for help. There should be a minimum legacy lvl of 20 for this and the perk would need to cost a fair bit (say 250k or more). The way I see this working is that the player would initiate a move similar to Heroic Moment (perhaps Legacy Moment) which would send out a call for help across the players legacy. Once activated the player would need to stay alive for a certain period of time (at least 60 seconds) while their alts ships hyperspaced in and landed on the planet. The alts would then appear on the battlefield (buffed temporarily to lvl 49) for a short period (say 60 seconds again) and attack the target with all their best moves, for that period they would draw all agro form the boss giving you team time to repair. At the end of the 60 seconds they would be defeated, they wouldn't have damaged the boss just brought you sometime to repair and heal. This could only be used against epic bosses in events or World Bosses (not in Flashpoints, Heroics or Class Missions). Would have a 24 hour cool down. Only 1 could be by the team at a time and only 1 per boss. Also only alts with ships and who are linked tot he current character by either blood/adoption/marriage or friendship could answer the call.

3. A legacy unlock that allows Heroic Moment to be used without an active companion, as long as you are in a group. So if you are in a 4 man team with no companions you can still use Heroic Moment and the abilities that go along with it. If Heroic Moment is supposed to work because of the bond between you and your companions, why not team mates as well? It should be limited to a legacy lvl of at least 20 and perhaps having max affection with all you companions. You could also limit it so it only works when someone on the team is either in your friends list or in your guild, it wouldn't work in WZs.

Finally on a slightly different theme, make the Legacy XP Perks apply to Legacy Experience as well as normal XP, so there is some reason for lvl 50s to invest in them.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
Thought of a few more:

1. Legacy Combat styles.

2. Alt summons.

3. A legacy unlock that allows Heroic Moment to be used without an active companion, as long as you are in a group.

Finally on a slightly different theme, make the Legacy XP Perks apply to Legacy Experience as well as normal XP, so there is some reason for lvl 50s to invest in them.

#1 don't think it's possible to swap weapons as they'd have to redo all skills animations to fit the new weapons.

#2&3 Been requested, would lead to imbalance issues or have to tune down alt stats

Legacy XP perks sounds weird: you are buying perks to get faster legacy levels that allow you to get perks faster...

A search on the suggestion forums for the term "legacy" in the title, returns 500 threads.

So as a try to concatenate the most asked or discussed ideas here's... one more topic ;)

1. Before anything else the most asked and viewed topic is about allowing players to change their legacy name.
  2. Then, not so surprisingly the second one is to part surnames (or last names) from the legacy feature.
  3. Going on we dig into the alt as companions at level 50

And don't forget to turn off the legacy creation name screen popup.

Now specifically about the legacy trees the requests are:

1. More links types:
    • Adopted sibling (for if you are not making characters of the parents)
    • Aunt/Uncle
    • Cousin
    • Twin
    • Mentor or Master
    • Slave (could add a strike-through for former slave, for Inquisitors especially)
    • Alias of
    • Unaware of Existence
    • Friends (vs Ally)
    • Enemies (vs Rival)
    • *Or (better?) a blank field filled by the player

[*]Not limiting link as (Adopted)Child for the links in the middle of the legacy tree (ie: not flat legacy)

[*]Keeping dead (i.e.: deleted) characters in the tree

[*]Cross server Legacy

[*]Link legacies to characters of others players

[*]More than one legacy tree per server, with ability to link them

[*]Add companions to the legacy tree

Interestingly enough players want to use the Legacy feature between their characters for sharing:

1. Cargo hold/Secret stash
  2. Credits pool
  3. Datacron unlocks
  4. Codex entries unlocks
  5. Social ranks
  6. Valor (since it is now purely cosmetic and has no impact on stats)
  7. Titles
  8. Achievements
  9. Crew Skills (Send other character companions on crafting missions)
  10. Gear
    • Heirloom for leveling
    • Wardrobes for look

[*]Space ship chassis

[*]Legacy Unlocks: choice of smaller fee for individual characters or more expensive for legacy-wide.

[*]Quick travel points.

[*]Reveal know maps

[*]Planetary commendations.

Now about the new stuff, players are suggesting, new:

1. Titles
  2. Gear & droid skins
  3. Weapons & Crystal colors combinations
  4. Body customization (Hair / face / jewelry / tattoo...) for characters and companions
  5. Character species
  6. Crafting recipes
  7. Speeders (single player, multiplayer & character + companion)
  8. Pets
  9. Armor decals
  10. Emotes
  11. Titles (ex: title for getting all the datacrons)
  12. More character slots
  13. Multi-Pet: bring out more than 1 pet at a time.
  14. Linguist: Your character may now speak in alien language during cutscenes
  15. Reset all class quests for a caped character & automatically adjust quests difficulty
  16. Defect to the opposite faction and keep your class (*might not work when raising the level cap)
  17. Call in your spaceship to do a stafing or bombing run on your enemy.

For convenience features we have the following entries:

• Travel
    • To space ship porting
    • "Home Point" bind option for quick travel ability
    • Speeder speed increase
    • Faster Quicktravel cooldown
    • Group Transport: shuttle group members to leader location
    • Increase sprint speed
    • Add a /burst feature allowing to get away from a fight
    • Speeder armoring Increases the amount of damage your speeder takes before exploding)
    • Increase current speeder speed to next tier
    • On the run mounting: you can summon your vehicle without stopping. The speeder would zoom in from behind, you jump on it, and continue forward without ever stopping.

[*]Manage our emails with our datapad from anywhere

[*]Access to the GTN with our datapad from anywhere

[*]Companions send (or pickup) mail packages from the space ship for the player

[*]Companions sell items for the player, both to traders and the GTN

[*]Increase duration for listing GTN Items (ex: 5 days, 7 days, 10 days)

[*]Increase max number of Items for sale per character on the GTN (ex: 25, 50, and 100 )

[*]Discount for Credit Deposit on Item Sale (ex: 10%, 20%, and 30%)

[*]Check mail on other characters

[*]Drop mission items in the bank vs inventory

[*]Dedicated crafting bags and bank slots.

[*]Companion buy mats automatically

[*]Being able to use crafting-restricted items

[*]Reduced money sinks fees (1)

[*]Use the Ship Holoterminal to have all your level faction fleet dailies and weeklies to save time on the fleet

[*]Ship augment table

[*]Being able to change a BoP item into a Bind On legacY (BoY)

[*]Legacy Name as a pre-title.

[*]Manage crafting & missions for all companions through a centralized UI

[*]Manage all companions and character gear through a centralized UI

[*]Queuing a character for any instanced content while playing an alt solo

[*]Increase chance to crit on every crew mission

[*]Summon a droid that loots items for you from killed enemies

[*]Advanced Holocommunicator:: 'turn in' any completed quest via your holocummunicator.

[*]Rename pet(s)

[*]Mascot: pets gives a presence bonus

[*]Field Training Droid that can train you new skills

[*]Extra character slot

Then it seems players see the legacy as a nice way to unlock some major changes to their characters after character creation

1. Name
  2. Specie
  3. Body features
  4. Sex

On the companion system:

1. Players have requested to be able to change their companions name with a nickname.
  2. It seems sharing companions between alts is really looked after. (ie: playing Mako with a Sith Warrior or why not a Smuggler.)
  3. Being able to use 2 companions at once, mostly was requested to solo some instances.
  4. And finally really being able to edit the companions body through a character creation tool
  5. Customized companions should have the portraits change to the new customization
  6. Add a nickname to companions (and toggle which of the name/nickname to display)
  7. Mule: your companion and/or pet can hold additional items for you

About classes now while dual specs are in the works AC to AC respec was requested and, once again IMHO would work well along the legacy system. Now to promote alt playing, this could be limited to players with already 4 capped characters or say 2 capped and a high level of legacy + a gold farmer fee :p

Note about the 1.3 speeder begin available at lower level, (LEGACY SPEEDER LICENSE) I'd suggest to lower it by 5 to 10(max) levels for each capped alt instead of lowering immediately to 10, depending on how much points or credits the player spends on that unlock tree.

Before leaving, IMHO the PORTABLE MAILBOX and maybe even the REPAIR DROID features looks like very much Wowish without making it better. Replacing these with the companion item transfer trough the ship and UPS to the player house (space ship) would be a SW improvement to them and a nice topping.

=========== ===========

I'd like to apologize in advance for all the great ideas I missed. As you can guess I did not read all the 500 topics. Still it would be my pleasure to add future entries posted here.

The Legacy is really a feature where TOR can shine, still I'd like to point at some major issues in the first iteration.

- The first being making the legacy a gold farmer dream come alive (2)

- The second being implementing features going against the lore by many players, and as such dividing the population in two opposed factions... but not in game!

- The third being penalizing players that already level characters with new species unlock as no specie switching yet.

(1, 2) Some data on the in game wealth:

......=> Credits distribution is roundly

• [0 - 400k[ = 80%
  • [400k -1M[ = 4%
  • [1M - 10M[ = 15%
  • [10M & >] = 1%

Finally I hope in the future The Legacy system will be less restrictive from not imposing a legacy name to obliging all characters to have (even not displayed) a same legacy name nor being tied one to the others.

P.S.: Gear customization and management

EVERY SINGLE idea on here is beyond excellent in my opinion. And I agree with whoever said, "can this post get a sticky?" Yes, please, can it get one?

EVERY SINGLE idea on here is beyond excellent in my opinion. And I agree with whoever said, "can this post get a sticky?" Yes, please, can it get one?

Thanks for the feedback. Even surprised there's people liking all the entries ;)

Note: added the remote trainer entry.

Two things I've been thinking would be nice are the command center for managing crew missions across characters (which you already have mentioned), and some sort of legacy comm center unlock for your ship, allowing you to take part in the fleet's general and trade chat if you please.

Two things I've been thinking would be nice are the command center for managing crew missions across characters (which you already have mentioned), and some sort of legacy comm center unlock for your ship, allowing you to take part in the fleet's general and trade chat if you please.

The chat center is nice, added it for sure!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
This is a awesome thread of ideas. I hope the Dev's see it sometime.

Guess you can mark this one off of your list, since we have the 2 statues that can be used for training now.

Yes and no as it's not a legacy feature and requires you to actually waste an inventory slot with it.