Hot Prospect Name Concerns

EricMusco

Oh come on, that was the "excuse" to get it changed...not the true reason.

Yeah, I agree... Musco and the devs were all "Hue hue, what a funny joke" but then people didn't find the joke funny and instead mocked both the server name and Musco/the devs for naming it something so dumb. They pointed out how the name sounded like a strip club instead of a server, speculated on whether naming the server Harbinger was being merged into the 'Hot Prospect' was a critique on the culture of that server (considering the fact the ship with that name in the EU was something of a junker), gave the server nicknames (I personally kept thinking of it and referring to it as 'Hot Pocket'), all that. No one was all that 'offended', from what I saw. Cringing at the juvenile humor of it all, sure, but that's it.

If anything, Musco or the devs might have had their pride and feelings bruised some that other people didn't think their joke (which it obviously was) was as hilarious as they did. Musco flat out said in the livestream yesterday that he pushed for the server to be named that because he thought it was funny, not for it being srs bznz Star Wars lore.

Edited by AscendingSky

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would still have found the Hot Prospect a better name than what I will be fored to go to. Why in the name of all that is holy do we get Darth Malgus? I detested him in game, I seriously don't want to see that name on my login screen. Were there really no other memorable sith, for crying out loud..

I would still have found the Hot Prospect a better name than what I will be fored to go to. Why in the name of all that is holy do we get Darth Malgus? I detested him in game, I seriously don't want to see that name on my login screen. Were there really no other memorable sith, for crying out loud..

Imagine the meltdown it would have caused if they had called it Darth Jadus.

All The Best

Thank you for that dose of sanity, BioWare. SWTOR stuff should be named after, you know, SWTOR. The KOTOR nostalgia wears thin, especially after Classic Conversations.

And even as a KOTOR name, it was too obscure for anyone (but 1 person anyway) to care about it.

And for the anti-PC PC police, the real howling was because it was too much like Hot Topic, not your weird fantasies or fetishes.

Besides, now you get to make rude jokes about Satele Shan. You're welcome! [/sarcasm]

I wish the amount of initiative and hustle that went into making "Hot Pocket" trending enough to get it's name changed by BW, was instead focused on other things ...

... like the bugs with PT / VG's grapple / harpoon not working out of combat ...

... or the leap bug ...

... or literally anything useful.

I knew i'd probably get which one wrong:mad:

Just to clear this up -- yes I looked it up,but hubbie confirmed it ...

Little Boy was the first bomb's name dropped on Japan -- Fat Boy was the second's name (it was bigger in size --- )

So no -- not any WW2 reference there -- close, but no -- server name was Fat Man ( think that was a ship from a book ?)

I would have been ok with Ascendant Spear too --- name of a bad .... Sith ship in the book "Annihilation"

This is only sad in the roundabout way of changing the name.

Come out and say we thought about it and the name sucked so we changed it. Rapturous Applause.

When you say we changed because it could possibly be taken out of context and used as slang that is just stupid. Its possible to take nearly anything out of context. Idiots could say using the force on someone is the same as forcing someone, so therefore the force could be linked to rape so we should no longer make reference to the force in Star Wars.

So just be honest, stupid name and we changed it. Not some SJW said they could be offended by the name if they took it out of context so we changed it.

Did anyone on the 20 pages in this thread cast light to the question what "Hot Prospect" means in slang terms?

Edit: it's probably a sexual reference among the plebs :rolleyes:

Satele Shan server would be awesome. Glad I've saved some CC for character transfers. Won't have to play all the time on Malgus server. :rolleyes:

Edited by Johrun

Hey folks,

We have made the decision to rename The Hot Prospect server to Satele Shan. Since we announced the new server names, we have received some concerns from people regarding the name The Hot Prospect. Specifically, that phrase could be taken in slang terms to be derogatory towards certain individuals. We take this very seriously as we would never want to create a situation where someone is made uncomfortable by something such as a server name.

We will be updating all of our communications (such as the FAQ and blog) to reflect the new name in the coming days. Thank you for your understanding.

-eric

You know, as hard as it is to have complaints about a name you chose, it shows true community spirit to accept it possibly wasn't the most ideal name for a server when all things were considered.

It's nice to see you addressing the concerns some players had. It's not a change that has an effect on me (I'm being moved to Darth Malgus), but it's still nice to see. Good on you Eric :rak_03:

Well, that's part of the reason I think a Server should have a Place Name; it makes no sense to me to have a Server (which represents a Place - a game world) with a Person's name.

All The Best

Most games I know of do it. It isn't that weird.

The sexual slang people are alluding to is this frozen pastry that you heat up in 5 or 6 minutes. Honestly, I have no idea so think people just made something up to be offended by. Unless you hate your cheese melted on your ham but then I've always picked perperonni. Oops, did I just cuss?! :eek:

The sexual slang people are alluding to is this frozen pastry that you heat up in 5 or 6 minutes. Honestly, I have no idea so think people just made something up to be offended by. Unless you hate your cheese melted on your ham but then I've always picked perperonni. Oops, did I just cuss?! :eek:

Dunno, I find cheese and ham together in the same sentence kinda sexual.

As a Vegan I don't find this appropriate at all.😕😟😱😦

With the issues in game that should be addressed I can not believe we had this be the main topic of discussion for several days. Server names (in my opinion) are only necessary when you have too many servers to easily keep track of. I would have been just as happy seeing the following:

North America - East Coast

North America - West Coast

Europe - English

Europe - French

Europe - German

It is simple and keeps people from having an "I don't like that name" tantrum.

The name was just BAD --- period --- a lot of folks didn't get the reference ( I didn't) -- so let's just be happy it got changed to something there will be few jokes about ....

people names are very common in MMOs ( Antonia Bayle in EQ2 comes to mind -- and EQ was known for naming theirs after the gods of the EQ pantheon ... )

Ships are fine, but make it a good ship, not some piece of junk ....... and not one that can have derogatory nick names (if you've ever had a horrible nick name planted on you in school, you will see my point)

:D

What about cheese melted on Philly Steak?? Had that for lunch...Was delicious!

Oh come on, that was the "excuse" to get it changed...not the true reason.

Yeah, I agree... Musco and the devs were all "Hue hue, what a funny joke" but then people didn't find the joke funny and instead mocked both the server name and Musco/the devs for naming it something so dumb. They pointed out how the name sounded like a strip club instead of a server, speculated on whether naming the server Harbinger was being merged into the 'Hot Prospect' was a critique on the culture of that server (considering the fact the ship with that name in the EU was something of a junker), gave the server nicknames (I personally kept thinking of it and referring to it as 'Hot Pocket'), all that. No one was all that 'offended', from what I saw. Cringing at the juvenile humor of it all, sure, but that's it.

If anything, Musco or the devs might have had their pride and feelings bruised some that other people didn't think their joke (which it obviously was) was as hilarious as they did. Musco flat out said in the livestream yesterday that he pushed for the server to be named that because he thought it was funny, not for it being srs bznz Star Wars lore.

I also think that this is what happened.

All these complaints on the boards about "snowflakes" and "PC Police" make me wish that the developers had just come out and admitted the real reason they were changing the name.

Come on. This has nothing to do with people with being offended. They're changing it because they realized that it really is a dumb name, and as Star Wars lore, it was just too obscure a reference to work.

As I mentioned earlier, it's like when the writers on Star Trek : The Next Generation named the Klingon homeworld "Kling," and then changed it to "Qo'noS" (pronounced "Kronos") when they realized that "Kling" was a really silly sounding name.

The developers thought that "Hot Prospect" would be a good, funny name for a server, but it didn't work out the way they expected. Players were mocking the name, mocking the developers for it, calling the server "Hot Pocket," "Hot Potato," "Hot Topic," "Hot Prostitute," and many other things.

I think that the developers realized that (1) the name was going to quickly turn into a long-running joke, one that would wear very thin for the developers after a while, and (2) it was going to become very tiresome to try to explain to players over and over that "Hot Prospect" was the name of Zayne Carrick's ship.

It just wasn't going to work. So they changed it. But the developers would rather make it look like they're doing it to be sensitive to the player community than admit that it was just a really bad name. So, here we are.

Sorry Eric, but Hot Prospect was a pretty bad name. Satele Shan also seems like an odd choice, as does Darth Malgus, given that there's a sizable segment of the playerbase that wants nothing to do with "light side" or "dark side" characters.

Personally I would have held a contest for new server names since you're billing the server merges as new content rather than a need to consolidate because of plummeting populations. In any case, it's not really terribly consequential.

lol, Who's Zayne Carrick? Is that a new companion?

I can't even believe this was an issue. And how do you expect devs to protect you from trolls? The MMO community consists almost entirely of trolls. If they started sanctioning/banning people for being jerks, they would lose a ton of customers.

As much as they might want to shield the special snowflakes, it's probably not feasible. They could restrict stronghold chat from the planets they're on, and maybe add features in chat for role-players, but that just sends parts of the community further into exile... which is counter the whole MMO spirit, right?

Hey folks,

We have made the decision to rename The Hot Prospect server to Satele Shan. Since we announced the new server names, we have received some concerns from people regarding the name The Hot Prospect. Specifically, that phrase could be taken in slang terms to be derogatory towards certain individuals. We take this very seriously as we would never want to create a situation where someone is made uncomfortable by something such as a server name.

We will be updating all of our communications (such as the FAQ and blog) to reflect the new name in the coming days. Thank you for your understanding.

-eric

Eric as much as I dislike the name "Hot Prospect" and wanted it changed, this specific reason for the change makes me want to start a petition to change the name back to Hot Prospect. Stop enabling the people who are constantly searching for reasons to be offended by absolutely everything. If you just said "Upon reflection we've decided to change the name from hot Prospect to something more immediately Star Wars sounding I would have been "heck yeah, Satele Shan here I come!". Messaging is a very important communication skill.