When do i start worring about armors/weapons?

ABurghouts

Hey all,

I started playing this game couple of days ago as f2p, after serveral hours i liked it so much i bought me some items in the cartel market so i would become preferred player.

Yesterday i decided to buy me the special edtion serial so i would become a sub.

I havn't payed a MMO in a while, but the last one i played was Lineage 2. I played it for YEARS, serveral thousends of hours i put my life into that game. But after last major patch they kinda ruined it for me. In the lower levels, early in game, there is nothing to do anymore but grinding. L2 is totally a game that starts with lvl 80 or higher.

But because im still L2 orientated im already working, reading, spending time to get me my armor i need, since in L2 it was a hell of a job to get your equipment.

Now my question is.

Should i just play the story? Without really worring about armors and or weapons till im lvl 40+?

Or when do i start worrieng about this in this game?

Will Guilds accept me as a nobody? Do people like playing with a low level, low grade armor kinda player? lol.

Hey all,

I started playing this game couple of days ago as f2p, after serveral hours i liked it so much i bought me some items in the cartel market so i would become preferred player.

Yesterday i decided to buy me the special edtion serial so i would become a sub.

I havn't payed a MMO in a while, but the last one i played was Lineage 2. I played it for YEARS, serveral thousends of hours i put my life into that game. But after last major patch they kinda ruined it for me. In the lower levels, early in game, there is nothing to do anymore but grinding. L2 is totally a game that starts with lvl 80 or higher.

But because im still L2 orientated im already working, reading, spending time to get me my armor i need, since in L2 it was a hell of a job to get your equipment.

Now my question is.

Should i just play the story? Without really worring about armors and or weapons till im lvl 40+?

Or when do i start worrieng about this in this game?

Will Guilds accept me as a nobody? Do people like playing with a low level, low grade armor kinda player? lol.

Hi and welcome to SW:TOR.

Armor/weapon wise, you need to upgrade them as you pick new items on the field or via upgrades that are applicable for "orange" items. Same is with armor, since you will have hard time fighting with mobs if you dont have proper armor. You shouldnt worry much since you will need better after you reach level 50 but still need to upgrade them as you progress the game.

I wouldnt suggest doing only story quests since it might be harder than to progress later. E.g. you can leave home planet at level 7-8, but next planet (Dromund Kaas for Empire) is for players level 10 or higher. So it might be bit challenging to do it if you are lower level than suggested. Either way it would be easier to do side quest too, since you get both money, exp and gear from them.

Guilds prefer higher levels, but I dont think finding guild will be problem in this game. Might take you a while to find one that suits you but overall most people i met here are nice...

Hope I helped you a bit

Thank you, you did..

Upgrades you say?

Ill will look for that.. Guess i will find upgrades later since now, im still a lvl 12 shadow, and a lvl 10 gunslinger.

Its nice to play something els finnally.

I had my share of castle sieges, elfs, dragons, unicorns, and other mytic creatures. Now its time to conquer the Galaxy in my favorite franchise. lol.

But it does feel weird, to be a nobody in a MMO. While i was an expert, and king in another.. lol

I like it! :D

Guilds prefer higher levels, but I dont think finding guild will be problem in this game. Might take you a while to find one that suits you but overall most people i met here are nice...

Are you under the assumption that all guilds prefer higher levels because I would strongly disagree.

Thank you, you did..

Upgrades you say?

Ill will look for that.. Guess i will find upgrades later since now, im still a lvl 12 shadow, and a lvl 10 gunslinger.

But it does feel weird, to be a nobody in a MMO. While i was an expert, and king in another.. lol

I like it! :D

As you played your characters on the starter planets you should have gotten quests to complete and upon completion of those quests you get "physical" rewards in the form of equipment upgrades. This will continue throughout the game. Some quests have only one reward and others give you a choice.

Are you under the assumption that all guilds prefer higher levels because I would strongly disagree.

No, my guild accepted me while I was level 20ish.. however, most spam on fleet I see is "blah, blah, blah, TS3 and at least one 50lvl character, blah,blah,blah...spamety,spam"

Thus I presume guilds would prefer higher level chars. I suppose RP oriented guilds doesnt mind at all tho...

So, no, if someone though I meant generally all guilds, sorry that I havent been clear enough...

What server do you play on? If it's The red eclipse by any chance, I can offer you some in-game help :)

Yes, red clips indeed.

I would tell you my name, but i dont know.. lol..

I had to use a difficult one since all the others were taken.. haha..

As soon as logged agian, i will post it here..

Some suggestions:

- Kill lots of NPCs while questing at low levels (not a bad idea when higher level too). You'll find good enough gear often that way, get XP, and can sell what you don't want to vendors for additional income.

- If this is your first toon and you don't have support from others you may want to hold off on moddable (orange or purple) gear until you can afford to upgrade mods periodically. You can also get planetary comms as quest rewards or random drops though to buy mods or moddable gear, so it's not straight credit spending.

Some people go all the way to L 50 wearing green or blue armor and do fine, particularly if questing and heroics is all they do. If you want to do flashpoints or PVP later, modded gear is good.

A hardcore PVP or raiding guild may want well-geared players that already know the ins and outs of what the guild focuses on. Others welcome new players and couldn't care less about gear. Shop around, ask guilded players what their story is, might run into some putzes but there're loads of helpful players out there. Can also check your server's forum for guild recruitment posts.

Edited by Joesixxpack

I must admit, that from the moment I started this game, i was immediately checking stats on gear and worrying about levelling a crafting skill that would increase my stats. I think that is mainly due to the obsession with dps scores in the last game I played. This game does seem to be a bit more "get the job done" so far, which is great.

I am less worried now about my gear , as many people have pointed out that you can get by perfectly well until later levels without epic gear, and it is geared around enjoying the stories and quests. Soooo... I have just hit lvl 23 and I am now playing with less worry and consternation :)

Upgrading your armor and weapons is easy when you can get the stuff in loot drops. I will always do the side quests in conjunction with my story line quest-many times killing an enemy will count for both of them. I typically don't do Heroics unless I'm at least one level higher than what's recommended and I never solo Heroic +4. As for guilds, stay away from Fleet!! OMG! If you're serious about joining a guild, simply put up a post in general chat briefly stating what kind of guild you're looking for along with your level and class. I'm sure there are a lot of respectable players out there who would be interested in having someone of your caliber in their guild. I'm new to the game too and got lucky when I joined a guild that was just forming. Best move I've made yet.

Welcome to SWTOR and hope you have a great time here! :D

I must admit, that from the moment I started this game, i was immediately checking stats on gear and worrying about levelling a crafting skill that would increase my stats. I think that is mainly due to the obsession with dps scores in the last game I played. This game does seem to be a bit more "get the job done" so far, which is great.

I am less worried now about my gear , as many people have pointed out that you can get by perfectly well until later levels without epic gear, and it is geared around enjoying the stories and quests. Soooo... I have just hit lvl 23 and I am now playing with less worry and consternation :)

Coming form Lineage 2 i know exactly what you mean.. DPS is very importand in that game, and you needed a crafting dwarf, an so called "spoiler" dwarf to farm items and equipment to equippe your main character. Crafting recipes were very complicated, and it took weeks to work towards your armor set, or weapon before you could craft, or buy it..

Im happy in SW:Tor i can focus on having fun questing, and playing with other players.

Upgrading your armor and weapons is easy when you can get the stuff in loot drops. I will always do the side quests in conjunction with my story line quest-many times killing an enemy will count for both of them. I typically don't do Heroics unless I'm at least one level higher than what's recommended and I never solo Heroic +4. As for guilds, stay away from Fleet!! OMG! If you're serious about joining a guild, simply put up a post in general chat briefly stating what kind of guild you're looking for along with your level and class. I'm sure there are a lot of respectable players out there who would be interested in having someone of your caliber in their guild. I'm new to the game too and got lucky when I joined a guild that was just forming. Best move I've made yet.

Welcome to SWTOR and hope you have a great time here! :D

Nice to know.. personally i dont visit fleet much.. atleast not yet. To much ego there.

On the planets however i met some nice people already. Next time i log i will ask around for a nice guild to play with.

I dont have much time to play though since im a busy father of a 2 year old, and my job consumes serious time aswell.

Im pretty much a casual gamer. So i will be looking for a old farts guild or something.. lol..

No, my guild accepted me while I was level 20ish.. however, most spam on fleet I see is "blah, blah, blah, TS3 and at least one 50lvl character, blah,blah,blah...spamety,spam"

Thus I presume guilds would prefer higher level chars. I suppose RP oriented guilds doesnt mind at all tho...

So, no, if someone though I meant generally all guilds, sorry that I havent been clear enough...

i have yet to see guild spam that mentions requirements like that. most guild spam i see says their guilds are casual.

a good guild will take you at any level and assist you as you progress through the game.