been hearing rumors

JJOtterBear

It's always a bit amusing when people make pop culture references to things like South Park, the Mandalorian, etc, as if everyone watches those programs, and they're surprised when people don't "get it".

I've never actually watched S.P., although I've seen bits of it on Youtube.

I have no intention of subscribing to Disney+ to watch The Mandalorian.

In fact, I'm basically a "cable cutter" these days - although I have cable, I basically never watch regular TV any more. Even though my cable package includes TSN (sports), I actually ended up watching the Australian Open coverage on-line, from the TSN website.

:D

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's always a bit amusing when people make pop culture references to things like South Park, the Mandalorian, etc, as if everyone watches those programs, and they're surprised when people don't "get it".

In fact, I'm basically a "cable cutter" these days - although I have cable, I basically never watch regular TV any more. Even though my cable package includes TSN (sports), I actually ended up watching the Australian Open coverage on-line, from the TSN website.

lol yeah. I am similar, I actually never watch local TV it's garbage. All they do is show local crime and tell heinous crime stories. Fear seems to be the flavor local TV likes to cook up.

I do keep sport channels too. If it wasn't for sports and music I'd gone crazier a long time ago.

Regular TV ???

The next thing you'll be telling me is that Gunsmoke has been canceled !!

:eek::eek::eek:

(jussssst kidinnnngg )

Seriously though … I really seldom watch too much "regular TV". And listen to the "NEWS ??? HA !! I already know that the world fill with graft and corruption. The weather reports are simple proof that GOD really does have a good sense of humor …

Although I might seriously consider putting that "smart" tech to work on my TV and see about the "Mandalorian" MAYBE !!

Soooo yeah some of that stuff is off the wall to me too !

Seriously though … I really seldom watch too much "regular TV". And listen to the "NEWS ??? HA !! I already know that the world fill with graft and corruption. The weather reports are simple proof that GOD really does have a good sense of humor …

By "regular TV" I mean the stuff you get on the common network commercial channels, although lately I haven't even been watching pay-to-watch channels like Crave. (I watch Crave online.)

The main thing that killed TV for me was commercials. Too many, too often, too repeated. Most people don't even realize that 1/4 of the time, TV is commercials. A 30 minute show has only 22 minutes of actual program, and that includes opening and closing titles/credits.

It's almost like smoking tobacco. You don't realize how much time and money you wasted on it until you quit.

Edited by JediQuaker

By "regular TV" I mean the stuff you get on the common network commercial channels, although lately I haven't even been watching pay-to-watch channels like Crave. (I watch Crave online.)

The main thing that killed TV for me was commercials. Too many, too often, too repeated. Most people don't even realize that 1/4 of the time, TV is commercials. A 30 minute show has only 22 minutes of actual program, and that includes opening and closing titles/credits.

It's almost like smoking tobacco. You don't realize how much time and money you wasted on it until you quit.

Yeah... I caught that … that's what I mean by regular TV... which was why I mentioned Gunsmoke !! (that goes back a few years) …

Commercials … No body does it better (or worse I should say) than the Hallmark Channel (which my wife DEARLY loves … BOTH of them). Honestly you can't tell where one commercial stops and the next one starts.

When I was in high school (yes they still had that back then) … Someone once said that TV is not about a show with a few commercial breaks … but rather a steady flow of commercials that is occasionally interrupted with a TV show !

( I think they got it right ).

;)

You're cool...

This younger generation just need a little "help" from time to time...

(see's questionable look on faces ... )

(using voice of Maxwell Smart) OK... Perhaps they need a little more structure ....

NO ??? .... I see ...

(still using same voice trying to explain further ) ... Would you believe .... (interrupted with additional looks from everyone else ...)

Never mind ... I think I'll join you !

Get off your shoe phone old man :D

He can't hear you - he's in the Cone of Silence. 🤩

I heard that !!! This thing must be having some technical difficulties... :eek:

That's OK though … I dug up the portable one in case we need it !

I heard that !!! This thing must be having some technical difficulties... :eek:

That's OK though … I dug up the portable one in case we need it !

Max: “The old cup and string back up phone” <said in my best max interpretation>

Chief : [to 86] I want you to use your watch-phone tonight. I don't want you taking off your shoe at the party.

Chief : Turn in your shoes, Max. I think the wrist communicator will be more effective.

Max :Gee whizz, Chief, I still have 16 message units left this month.

Edit:

You gotta take you hat of to the writers of this show. So many things they thought up to be funny are now common occurrences or devices. And they made this show in the 60’s

Edited by TrixxieTriss

We have a new chief ??

When did that happen ?

:confused:

Must be a rumor !!

Isn’t JediQuaker Larabee in disguise ?

Larabee:

[having hypnotized the Chief] Well, I want a raise, a few weeks off, a new car... and I think I would like your office. Yes, yes, I'd like that. You can take mine. And I want the location and the key to the secret executive wash-room. I'd like that. I'd love that. And... I want your job ;)

Edited by TrixxieTriss

Isn’t JediQuaker Larabee in disguise ?

Larabee:

[having hypnotized the Chief] Well, I want a raise, a few weeks off, a new car... and I think I would like your office. Yes, yes, I'd like that. You can take mine. And I want the location and the key to the secret executive wash-room. I'd like that. I'd love that. And... I want your job ;)

Perhaps we should find out if he's still at his desk following the "directive" !

BTW:

Did those 7 castaways ever get off that island ??

Which island? Gilligan's, Lost, or I-land? :)

According to Wikipedia the Gilligan's Island crew was rescued - twice - (made-for-TV movies) but returned to turn it into a resort. :rolleyes:

Edited by JediQuaker

Which island? Gilligan's, Lost, or I-land? :)

According to Wikipedia the Gilligan's Island crew was rescued - twice - (made-for-TV movies) but returned to turn it into a resort. :rolleyes:

What ??? that was just a TV show .. And here I thought they were "Historical Documents"

Or was that just another rumor too ??

Edited by OlBuzzard

Commercials … No body does it better (or worse I should say) than the Hallmark Channel (which my wife DEARLY loves … BOTH of them). Honestly you can't tell where one commercial stops and the next one starts.

;)

Writer takes out "Script Template for Hallmark Hall of Fame Movie":

Plot: A woman named (choose one: Beverly, Karen, Diane, Denise, Laurie, Julie) of (age) has to deal with the emotional fallout of (insert incurable disease, preferably a type of cancer) while discovering her young (son/daughter/dog/other pet) has been diagnosed with a non-fatal but crippling (insert physical condition). At the same time, her husband is (select one for a TV movie or two for a miniseries: becoming paralyzed from the neck down, spending too much time with his secretary, going on a trip to France, losing his job, being promoted at work, filing divorce paperwork, adopting a teen-age girl from an Asian country, discovering the meaning of Christmas). With the help of (select one for a TV movie or 5 for a miniseries: her best friend, 3 best friends, 5 high-school friends and 1 old enemy, a lost dog/cat/squirrel/mini pig/enchanted Chinese toy, her mother/sister/son/older son's new wife), she learns that her body is beautiful no matter what and her identity is her most precious possession. This leads her to (divorce, remarry, fall in love with all over again, shoot) her husband and (accept, reunite with, kill) her (mother/sister/older son's new wife/5 high-school friends and 1 old enemy).

Estimated time to complete script: 15 minutes.

Note: If you are having trouble coming up with ideas, feel free to use our "Calamity Generator" develop exciting new plot points. Simply choose one of the characters and click on the generator.

Quick guide to common calamity pairings:

Drama: Combine 1 cancer with 1 childhood handicap.

Comedy: Combine 1 weight loss/appearance issue with 1 lost animal.

Crime drama: Combine 1 cancer with 1 physical handicap or 1 poison.

Romance: Combine 1 incurable disease with 1 natural disaster.

Romantic Comedy: Combine 2 incurable diseases (one for each character, never two diseases for the same character, unless one of the diseases is breast cancer).

Christmas Special: Combine 3 random calamities with 1 Christmas miracle and 1 life lesson.

Superhero Movies: Prohibited.

Space Movies: Prohibited, except for husband dying on International Space Station format.

Spy Movies: Prohibited.

Swedish Movies: Encouraged. Follow the format for Romantic Comedy, adding 1 skiing accident or 1 car trouble.

Action Movies: See crime drama. Do not exceed gasoline budget on tense chase scenes.

Edited by sharkfishman

What ??? that was just a TV show .. And here I thought they were "Historical Documents"

Or was that just another rumor too ??

"Those... poor ... people."

I love that movie. It makes laugh out loud so much.

"ALEXANDER

This is it?

QUELLEK

Yes sir. Marvelous, isn't it? Completely distractionless.

ALEXANDER

Where's my bed?

Quellek pushes a button and SIX LARGE SPIKES rise from the floor.

QUELLEK

Just as on your home planet, sir. If I may say, it took me three

years to master the spikes, but now I sleep with a peace I never

thought possible..."

Not to mention how many times we heard the same line of "stuff" with the release of KotFE / ET.

hmmmmmm …..

Me thinks that there is a definite pattern there !

;)

Reminds me of the doom threads back in 1.2.

"This games dead, 1.2 was the end of star wars. This was content we should have gotten at launch."

Doomsayers are like mold. No matter how much you scrape it off, it always comes back.

"Those... poor ... people."

I love that movie. It makes laugh out loud so much.

"ALEXANDER

This is it?

QUELLEK

Yes sir. Marvelous, isn't it? Completely distractionless.

ALEXANDER

Where's my bed?

Quellek pushes a button and SIX LARGE SPIKES rise from the floor.

QUELLEK

Just as on your home planet, sir. If I may say, it took me three

years to master the spikes, but now I sleep with a peace I never

thought possible..."

A few of my favorite moments:

*** When the crew of the Protector ( the "Actors") were transported to the Protector (the one that the Thermians had built …. The look on their faces was priceless !!

*** Tim Allen is chowing down Iowa corn fed beef … and the rest of the crew .. wellll not so good ! Particularly GUY (not sure what he had … but was as bland and nondescript as he was) and ALEXANDER … ( who had Kep-mok Bloodticks )

:eek:

*** GUY: ( to Tim Allen was he fighting the rock monster )… " you need to find a rudimentary lathe "

The whole script was filled with moments like that !

Reminds me of the doom threads back in 1.2.

"This games dead, 1.2 was the end of star wars. This was content we should have gotten at launch."

Doomsayers are like mold. No matter how much you scrape it off, it always comes back.

YIP !!

Nailed it !!

There always has been .. and always will be some folks that could eat like kings … live in a house the size of (and more lavish than) the Taj Mahal … be granted as much as anyone could ever ask... AND STILL would find stuff to complain about !!

A few of my favorite moments:

*** When the crew of the Protector ( the "Actors") were transported to the Protector (the one that the Thermians had built …. The look on their faces was priceless !!

*** Tim Allen is chowing down Iowa corn fed beef … and the rest of the crew .. wellll not so good ! Particularly GUY (not sure what he had … but was as bland and nondescript as he was) and ALEXANDER … ( who had Kep-mok Bloodticks )

:eek:

*** GUY: ( to Tim Allen was he fighting the rock monster )… " you need to find a rudimentary lathe "

The whole script was filled with moments like that !

One of the best movies of all time :)

RIP Rickman, you will be missed.

Side note, JJoBlo Videos did a fun history vid on the movie on utube on how it almost didn't happen. great trivia tidbits in there on the actors too.

Writer takes out "Script Template for Hallmark Hall of Fame Movie":

Plot: A woman named (choose one: Beverly, Karen, Diane, Denise, Laurie, Julie) of (age) has to deal with the emotional fallout of (insert incurable disease, preferably a type of cancer) while discovering her young (son/daughter/dog/other pet) has been diagnosed with a non-fatal but crippling (insert physical condition). At the same time, her husband is (select one for a TV movie or two for a miniseries: becoming paralyzed from the neck down, spending too much time with his secretary, going on a trip to France, losing his job, being promoted at work, filing divorce paperwork, adopting a teen-age girl from an Asian country, discovering the meaning of Christmas). With the help of (select one for a TV movie or 5 for a miniseries: her best friend, 3 best friends, 5 high-school friends and 1 old enemy, a lost dog/cat/squirrel/mini pig/enchanted Chinese toy, her mother/sister/son/older son's new wife), she learns that her body is beautiful no matter what and her identity is her most precious possession. This leads her to (divorce, remarry, fall in love with all over again, shoot) her husband and (accept, reunite with, kill) her (mother/sister/older son's new wife/5 high-school friends and 1 old enemy).

Estimated time to complete script: 15 minutes.

Note: If you are having trouble coming up with ideas, feel free to use our "Calamity Generator" develop exciting new plot points. Simply choose one of the characters and click on the generator.

Quick guide to common calamity pairings:

Drama: Combine 1 cancer with 1 childhood handicap.

Comedy: Combine 1 weight loss/appearance issue with 1 lost animal.

Crime drama: Combine 1 cancer with 1 physical handicap or 1 poison.

Romance: Combine 1 incurable disease with 1 natural disaster.

Romantic Comedy: Combine 2 incurable diseases (one for each character, never two diseases for the same character, unless one of the diseases is breast cancer).

Christmas Special: Combine 3 random calamities with 1 Christmas miracle and 1 life lesson.

Superhero Movies: Prohibited.

Space Movies: Prohibited, except for husband dying on International Space Station format.

Spy Movies: Prohibited.

Swedish Movies: Encouraged. Follow the format for Romantic Comedy, adding 1 skiing accident or 1 car trouble.

Action Movies: See crime drama. Do not exceed gasoline budget on tense chase scenes.

Good Post. :rak_01: