Official launch in Australia/New Zealand

StephenReid

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are planning on actual servers located in the area. The final location is being locked down, but when we say 'local' we don't mean 'in the US but with a label'.

Cool, using the same deal that WAR had for the servers, I guess. Hopefully there's enough that are going to play on the servers to make it worthwhile.

Great. Does that mean you will be able to get them off our servers?

As said, we'll be exploring options to allow players from Australia/NZ who are currently playing on US servers to continue to play on their own local servers when they're set up.

That said, please be welcoming to those who are playing on US-based servers right now, regardless of where they are playing from. While I know it's frustrating to wait in queues, everyone's just trying to enjoy the same game - and everyone has the equal right to play on any server they wish.

We are planning on actual servers located in the area. The final location is being locked down, but when we say 'local' we don't mean 'in the US but with a label'.

That's the best news I've heard since somebody told me there was going to be another Star Wars MMO.

Can you tell us if there will be Server Transfers available from The Harbinger and The Swiftsure (The unofficial Oceanic servers) to the Oceanic servers once they are available? I don't want to have to make a new character since i've invested so much time in the game already :D

Stephen you and the rest of the team are doing great. The fact that you have announced this the day after launch (for Australian time) is fantastic and even better that bioware if planning on having actual local servers. Don't listen to the whining people out there, cuz they are the people you can never please. Thank you so much for this and a great game and hopefully you guys sort out some sort of transfer for the existing characters. Looking forward to this :)

What they should have done is put a few extra servers on the West Coast, labeled them as Oceanic and let their communities build now and get stress off the rest of the US servers. And then once the Aussie Datacenter is ready to accommodate the Oceanic servers they can be straight replications of the servers located on the west coast...and after a tuesday patch window, seamlessly have them in the new datacenter but same server/name.

But hey...I do this sort of thing for a living so that is how I would go about doing it.

Its great news for oceanic players but it does have a downside for us already established with guilds playing on US servers.

I do hope there is not a mass exodus of aussies currently playing that decide to move server.

I will buy a collectors edition from an australian store on launch but will continue playing on US servers. My opinion is australian servers are a bad idea and have never worked for other major mmos in the past.

Although I've already imported mine..

My Heart Sank when I read Spring 2012... Seriously, that's like some kind of cruel joke, almost a year away. Obviously it's clarified further on as March 1st, but still..

It's like saying, oh sorry, we didn't get you an xmas present this year.. oh wait. yes we did!

blast. too bad i didnt know harbinger and swiftsure were the unofficial oceanic servers otherwise i would have picked them. im on Master zhar Lestin. Any other kiwis/Aussies on that server?

Be glad you didn't unless you don't mind 4 hour queues.

Edited by elidion

Wait Stephen just to clarify, does this mean that previously named US West, East, or EU servers that have a large Australian and New Zealand population will be renamed "Oceania"?

Can you tell me some names of these servers that have large australian populations? Would love to hang out with other aussies :)

I love how people north of the equator are whinging and yelling at people in the Oceanic region to "get off our servers". They aren't your servers, they belong to BioWare/EA.

BioWare/EA grouped those from this region via the Daisy Chain and termed the servers "Unofficial Oceanic" so that people from this region could play with others in the same time zone.

Maybe if you had decided to research your servers a little better before rolling on these "Unofficial Oceanic" servers then maybe you wouldn't have to deal with us "Red Zoners".

Anyway rant ended - thanks BioWare/EA for making a decision that will make a belated Christmas gift to all of us in the Oceanic region. Hopefully we can support the game enough to warrant the placement of local servers. :)

Wait Stephen just to clarify, does this mean that previously named US West, East, or EU servers that have a large Australian and New Zealand population will be renamed "Oceania"?

Can you tell me some names of these servers that have large australian populations? Would love to hang out with other aussies :)

Me too. but i already been playing since the 13th and already have 5 well established characters

What they should have done is put a few extra servers on the West Coast, labeled them as Oceanic and let their communities build now and get stress off the rest of the US servers. And then once the Aussie Datacenter is ready to accommodate the Oceanic servers they can be straight replications of the servers located on the west coast...and after a tuesday patch window, seamlessly have them in the new datacenter but same server/name.

But hey...I do this sort of thing for a living so that is how I would go about doing it.

Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

Woot low pings INC. Gone are the days playing wow when you couldn't sap someone cause of the lag.

I think something important to note is the bioware have listened to every single thing that their user base has said.

We said...*** no grace period, and they gave it back to us.

We said...*** no AU release, and we get AU release and local servers.

Sure we have to wait a few months. I am more than happy to be playing on US realms. Changing realms is not a big deal. Its like changing jobs or schools, for the 1st few days you don't know anyone, then you fit right in.

Having chosen a Sith Assassin im really glad we will be getting sub 50ms pings. Playing melee in pvp sux when your lag dictates your sucess.

I love how people north of the equator are whinging and yelling at people in the Oceanic region to "get off our servers". They aren't your servers, they belong to BioWare/EA.

BioWare/EA grouped those from this region via the Daisy Chain and termed the servers "Unofficial Oceanic" so that people from this region could play with others in the same time zone.

Maybe if you had decided to research your servers a little better before rolling on these "Unofficial Oceanic" servers then maybe you wouldn't have to deal with us "Red Zoners".

Anyway rant ended - thanks BioWare/EA for making a decision that will make a belated Christmas gift to all of us in the Oceanic region. Hopefully we can support the game enough to warrant the placement of local servers. :)

i think it was the community who coined them the unofficial oceanic servers not EA/bioware, but never the less people really should research more before whineing about server ques.

Personally im not playing one either due to the massive ques, i have a character on swiftsure, but that was on the first day of early access, and now i cant even be bothered waiting in the que just go to on and delete him so i can bring my main gaming handle across xD