this "original story" might not even mess with the current EU

lord-durpp

Yeah, if you take that quote of him saying "It's not how I would have done it" out of context, then you would also have to say that the entire post-RotJ Expanded Universe isn't Canon. It was his point of view on what he would have done if he had written anything after Episode VI. In that same interview, he said that his story was finished when Episode VI ended. Now, Leland Chee has already stated that post-RotJ Expanded Universe material IS C-Canon. When Leland Chee was explaining C-Canon, he said it was the vision of LucasArts and the authors therein that went beyond George's vision. Leland Chee isn't going to go over his boss's head on that, if he values his job. George also said that the storyline in The Force Unleashed and TFU II are G-Canon. Contradictory statements there, considering that the Cloning Process in TFU is exactly the same as the cloning process in the Thrawn Trilogy. Coruscant was named in post-RotJ C-Canon, as well. It became G-Canon when George used the name in the Prequels. The list goes on and on. The point is that you can't take everything George says seriously. That way lies madness.

Good thing Leland Chee no longer Answers to Lucas .

G-canon = D-Canon ...............we will have to wait to see what changes will be made EU wise but Disney already stated 1-6 will remain Canon , I suppose the D-Canon as of now.

You can take Lucas quote by quote , its how he wanted it . Lucas made so many Canon layers its retarded , and often belittled the fans and writers . He did it to Protect his main vision and so EU wouldn't impact future Movies or Stories he wished to tell .

Now we will see a more Combined and well advanced StarWars with more editors and possibly with Chee decided Canon ................but that was not said yet . All we know is Chee will remain in his current job title but Kennedy will be his boss now and Disney hers !

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to the argument on the cloning, here's something I just got off the wiki:

They were built by Spaarti Creations, on the planet Cartao. They seem to have their origins in Khommite cloning technology, which had for a millennium been developed to a level far surpassing that of the rest of the galaxy.

Cloning cylinders were thought to have been destroyed during the Battle of Cartao, but many units survived. The Galactic Republic used Spaarti clones to complement the Kaminoan clone army. At the near end of the Clone Wars, all but a few were unaware that Supreme Chancellor Palpatine had secretly commissioned a second clone army, which differed from the Kamino-bred Fett clones in two primary ways: they were grown to maturity in roughly one year as opposed to ten years, and they were created on Centax-2 instead of Kamino. Omega Squad noticed this, adding to their suspicions about Chancellor Palpatine's intentions. The clone troopers of the 14th Infantry Brigade were among the first generation of Spaarti-grown Fett clones and vanguard of what was to come in Palpatine's New Order.

The spaarti pods are a very different technology from the kaminoan cloning pods, and the republic found and used them. Then palpatine, emperor and all that happened

Yeah, if you take that quote of him saying "It's not how I would have done it" out of context, then you would also have to say that the entire post-RotJ Expanded Universe isn't Canon. It was his point of view on what he would have done if he had written anything after Episode VI. In that same interview, he said that his story was finished when Episode VI ended. Now, Leland Chee has already stated that post-RotJ Expanded Universe material IS C-Canon. When Leland Chee was explaining C-Canon, he said it was the vision of LucasArts and the authors therein that went beyond George's vision. Leland Chee isn't going to go over his boss's head on that, if he values his job. George also said that the storyline in The Force Unleashed and TFU II are G-Canon. Contradictory statements there, considering that the Cloning Process in TFU is exactly the same as the cloning process in the Thrawn Trilogy. Coruscant was named in post-RotJ C-Canon, as well. It became G-Canon when George used the name in the Prequels. The list goes on and on. The point is that you can't take everything George says seriously. That way lies madness.

Yes but there is no point in talking now about whats canon and what isnt post-rotj. Just have to wait to the movies come out. If its stated Luke never had kids or Mara jade doesnt exist in the movies and dies without kids, it would literally wipe out most of post-rotj EU considering his offspring is relevant in almost every novel continuation.

Just an example really. Same as any reference in the new movies to an event imbetween episode 6-7 that could wipe out most EU imbetween and after. Example being: Luke is old and there has been no threat to the galaxy since Sidious was defeat at Endor and Luke has been training Jedi ever since. Which would mean all pieces of EU imbetween the trilogies have become invalidated

Edited by Girdeux

the new trilogy, as stated, could still do this. There is no story beyond legacy (138 ABY). this means that there could be an entire new plot line without pissing off diehard eu fans.

thoughts?

If you ask me, legacy would make a snapping great new trilogy without relying on old characters, save maybe a computer-generated Luke force ghost.

Yes but there is no point in talking now about whats canon and what isnt post-rotj. Just have to wait to the movies come out. If its stated Luke never had kids or Mara jade doesnt exist in the movies and dies without kids, it would literally wipe out most of post-rotj EU considering his offspring is relevant in almost every novel continuation.

Just an example really. Same as any reference in the new movies to an event imbetween episode 6-7 that could wipe out most EU imbetween and after. Example being: Luke is old and there has been no threat to the galaxy since Sidious was defeat at Endor and Luke has been training Jedi ever since. Which would mean all pieces of EU imbetween the trilogies have become invalidated

Well, technically the current Canon system is still in effect until such time as Episode VII comes out and Leland Chee gets a chance to redo the Holocron. I definitely hope that he goes with a completely separate universe this time around. Currently, the two universes are OT/PT and OT/PT/ExU. For continuity's sake, as I've said before, I hope that the new universe is OT/PT/Disney. Make it completely separate from the OT/PT/ExU after RotJ. It would make the most sense, imo.

Well, technically the current Canon system is still in effect until such time as Episode VII comes out and Leland Chee gets a chance to redo the Holocron. I definitely hope that he goes with a completely separate universe this time around. Currently, the two universes are OT/PT and OT/PT/ExU. For continuity's sake, as I've said before, I hope that the new universe is OT/PT/Disney. Make it completely separate from the OT/PT/ExU after RotJ. It would make the most sense, imo.

of course you think that would make the most sense because you don't want all your books that you own to become nothing more then Fan fiction.

However in reality it makes the least sense for what they are doing. The most sense as they build a trans media empire is to keep 1 story line or 1 canon set across multiple mediums. So if you want the whole story you have to buy it all.

Having 3 different universes is really just silly. It gets into the whole mess they have now.

I mean look at comics. If I ask a question like What is the Joker's origin story how would you answer that?

I mean look at comics. If I ask a question like What is the Joker's origin story how would you answer that?

Joker's origin is really confusing. There are, I think, twelve different stories. I don't even think Joker knows anymore. I don't even think he cares anymore.

As to the topic at hand. Another universe would keep everyone happy. EU fans keep the EU and we all get new movies. You're happy, I'm happy, Zone's happy. See how that works.

They could, but I'm almost certain they won't. My guess the entire EU and every character in it is about to become non-canon.

well technically it IS. Most official canon is only stated through the movies and tv series. Even Zahn said 'the books are just books' fantastic stories,some amazing some utter rubbish.

There's still a difference between not being as canon as the movies and being completely contradicted by them and thereby being non canon.

Which is why a branching universe would make the most sense. Make The Truce At Bakura the first ExU stepping stone, while Episode VII would be the first Disney stepping stone in the New Universe. If it's handled correctly, it should keep most fans satisfied, if not happy. lol

Joker's origin is really confusing. There are, I think, twelve different stories. I don't even think Joker knows anymore. I don't even think he cares anymore.

I believe his origin is intentionally obscure. They even made fun of it in dark knight.

The completely unlikable characters makes me a bit nervous about using the legacy era

Whats there not to like? The completely dry-and-clean standard SW heroes are much more boring. I'm completely bored at heroes in gaming culture. Thats why I prefer playing a Sith. ps. Sith at the legacy are possibly the most interesting sith characters ever. Internal backstabbing and ambitions are shown much more than in any other content that I know of.

Edited by Karkais

so G-canon shot at C-canon and accidently killed N-canon is the proccess which just left SUPER-canon. i think i got it now.

on a more serious note i have no idea what this canon crap mean and it confusing. also i hope they jump into jedi academy like the video games have some people come in but only as side actors and not main ones.

They could, but I'm almost certain they won't. My guess the entire EU and every character in it is about to become non-canon.

I, and Tim Zahn, disagree. Odds are it will incorporate elements of the EU while trailblazing its own story, considering Lucasfilm is STILL driving the ship.

On that note, George's notes indicate that the story will set Luke in his 40s. In the EU that was the NJO. The New Jedi Order series is not liked AT ALL by every fan, including the EU fans. To cut it out of the equation would not screw very much up with the continuity, if anything, considering it's barely mentioned in everything that came after it, if at all. Sure it gave us Ben Skywalker and killed off Anakin Solo and Chewbacca, but what's not to say they won't kill Chewie in 7? To replace NJO with this story would appease many fans of the EU because, and I think everyone would agree, you don't miss much reading them. Plus it would still keep the majority of the EU, Legacy of the Force, and Fate of the Jedi included, in tact, and we will most likely get to see Mara, Jacen, Jaina, Kyle Katarn, and maybe even a young Ben Skywalker out of the trade off.

Whose with me on this?

so G-canon shot at C-canon and accidently killed N-canon is the proccess which just left SUPER-canon. i think i got it now.

on a more serious note i have no idea what this canon crap mean and it confusing. also i hope they jump into jedi academy like the video games have some people come in but only as side actors and not main ones.

Well, the Canon system was put into place to help keep everything in the Star Wars Universe coherent. It's there to keep everything from becoming as cluster****ed as the Highlander Universe or even the Star Trek Universe. The different levels of Canon are to distinguish between G or George Canon, which is Word of God in the Canon system, T or Television Canon, which refers mostly to the TCW series and is second only to G-Canon, since it's under direct control of George Lucas's family. C or Coninuity Canon is just that. As long as the stories don't directly contradict G or T, then they are accepted as Canon. S or Secondary Canon is used in case of Retcons, or Retroactive Continuity occurences. In the case of The Thrawn Trilogy, some elements of the story were retconned by Episode II. Those elements, which were formerly C-Canon, were relegated to S-Canon as rumors or misinterpretations by the characters relating the events or describing something that turned out to be wrong. N-Canon is what retcons go to if something does not fit AT ALL, and is used as a last resort by Leland Chee when updating the Holocron. The Holocron is the database that Leland uses to keep all story information consistent.

S-Canon is usually completely overlooked by the more hardline Canon... enthusiasts. Yes, I was being nice there. Those people usually only see a retcon as "Oh, it doesn't fit at all, so it's N-Canon now!" Also, since a definition of G-Canon is "Anything that George Lucas says", it's even harder to separate a humorous comment or a point of view from when he's actually being serious. That job falls to Leland Chee as well, not the fans.

All that said, it remains to be seen how much or how little the Canon system will change now that Disney has bought LucasArts.

I, and Tim Zahn, disagree. Odds are it will incorporate elements of the EU while trailblazing its own story, considering Lucasfilm is STILL driving the ship.

On that note, George's notes indicate that the story will set Luke in his 40s. In the EU that was the NJO. The New Jedi Order series is not liked AT ALL by every fan, including the EU fans. To cut it out of the equation would not screw very much up with the continuity, if anything, considering it's barely mentioned in everything that came after it, if at all. Sure it gave us Ben Skywalker and killed off Anakin Solo and Chewbacca, but what's not to say they won't kill Chewie in 7? To replace NJO with this story would appease many fans of the EU because, and I think everyone would agree, you don't miss much reading them. Plus it would still keep the majority of the EU, Legacy of the Force, and Fate of the Jedi included, in tact, and we will most likely get to see Mara, Jacen, Jaina, Kyle Katarn, and maybe even a young Ben Skywalker out of the trade off.

Whose with me on this?

I REALLY hope you're right on that! NJO was when the Dragon Ball Z style crap really got ridiculous!

of course you think that would make the most sense because you don't want all your books that you own to become nothing more then Fan fiction.

However in reality it makes the least sense for what they are doing. The most sense as they build a trans media empire is to keep 1 story line or 1 canon set across multiple mediums. So if you want the whole story you have to buy it all.

Having 3 different universes is really just silly. It gets into the whole mess they have now.

Got to agree with you here. Star Wars should be proud of its single, linear universe where one event leads to another (and their is only one event). And we can have comprehensive wiki's like Wookieepedia etc. Having mutliple universes will reduces to the likes of Marvel and DC (not that their bad or anything but Star Wars should be a cut above the comic book world). Thats one of the things I love about Star Wars, characters like Anakin have nice linear biography from birth to death with no quirks along the way. If EU has to suffer to maitain this dream, so be it. (lets face it, who likes the Yuzavohza whatever they are anyway)

Got to agree with you here. Star Wars should be proud of its single, linear universe where one event leads to another (and their is only one event). And we can have comprehensive wiki's like Wookieepedia etc. Having mutliple universes will reduces to the likes of Marvel and DC (not that their bad or anything but Star Wars should be a cut above the comic book world). Thats one of the things I love about Star Wars, characters like Anakin have nice linear biography from birth to death with no quirks along the way. If EU has to suffer to maitain this dream, so be it. (lets face it, who likes the Yuzavohza whatever they are anyway)

Well, depending on what happens, we'll see. George might not care too much about pissing off the fans, but Disney will. Now when something happens that fans find to be wrong, it's Disney that will take the flak for it. Are they really prepared for that kind of barrage? While I agree that the later ExU is garbage, most of the early stuff is awesome. Honestly, if it keeps the early Expanded Universe intact, but retcons anything done by Karen Traviss down to fan fiction, I'd be down with that. :D

Well, depending on what happens, we'll see. George might not care too much about pissing off the fans, but Disney will. Now when something happens that fans find to be wrong, it's Disney that will take the flak for it. Are they really prepared for that kind of barrage? While I agree that the later ExU is garbage, most of the early stuff is awesome. Honestly, if it keeps the early Expanded Universe intact, but retcons anything done by Karen Traviss down to fan fiction, I'd be down with that. :D

Too be far, I don't think Disney will care. I mean how much of the star wars fanbase (and movie-goers in general) does those who love/like the post-ROTJ extended universe anyway. Probably less than 1% - OR I can understand, but post-ROTJ? Frankly speaking most people simply don't care and this is the last thing they will complain about. Disney's respect for the ExU is likely minimal, and neither is Lucas's - so there's nothing stopping them.

Too be far, I don't think Disney will care. I mean how much of the star wars fanbase (and movie-goers in general) does those who love/like the post-ROTJ extended universe anyway. Probably less than 1% - OR I can understand, but post-ROTJ? Frankly speaking most people simply don't care and this is the last thing they will complain about. Disney's respect for the ExU is likely minimal, and neither is Lucas's - so there's nothing stopping them.

Disney's already paid the price several times for pissing off fans. If they handle this wrong, it's not going to be pretty. Granted, most of those times were when Eisner was in charge....

Disney's already paid the price several times for pissing off fans. If they handle this wrong, it's not going to be pretty. Granted, most of those times were when Eisner was in charge....

But as I said, there are no fans to do so.

EDIT: In a simplified and more blatant way: no one cares

Edited by Beniboybling

But as I said, there are no fans to do so.

EDIT: In a simplified and more blatant way: no one cares

hey now the EU fanboys who like the EU more then the movies care... but yeah seeing as they are less then 1% of the total star wars fanbase it doesn't matter.

Of course even then they will just complain on forums and then still see the movies and buy all the books anyway. Just like they did with the prequels.