The New Galaxy Map

EricMusco

Thank you, Quality of Life improvements will always win you goodwill. One question though. What hasn't been mentioned explicitly is a scenario like the following:

I'm on Tatooine, in the Dune Sea. I bring up the galaxy map, pick Alderaan and end up somewhere on Alderaan without any other intermediate steps.

Is the above a possibility now?

My guess is you will end up at the space port on Alderaan, standing next to the quick travel point there. It sounds like they have streamlined a lot of travel that used to require you actually entering your ship and clicking to travel, deorbit, etc. etc.

Keep in mind, in 4.0 they made it so that all quick travel as well as speeder points, not to mention all speeder travel routes are unlocked as soon as you set foot on a planet now. So no matter where you materialize, you should be able to easily move to where you want/need to be.

As others have mentioned.. I hope they finally get rid of all areas where quick travel is disabled.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey look, someone already answered you!

My point is that they introduce a new "vehicle" of travel that certainly have a lot of people go "Aww man, I travelled to planet X using the new galaxy map, but I have to travel here with my ship to advance the quest?", one way or another. To me, this looks like it would only make sense to use it when you are already done with class mission stuff or anything else that you need to do or start on your starship.

Also, I prefer to do my dummy parsing in private, on my ship. I'm sure other people enjoy their GTN kiosks there as well.

If they ever figured out how to put training dummies as decorations in the game, player starships would literally cease to matter I'd wager...

All the missions that require you to use your starship say "Use your starship to travel to..." Many (not all) do that to properly trigger shipboard holo calls or make sure you enter the orbital station/starport for critical-path encounters.

To me, this looks like it would only make sense to use it when you are already done with class mission stuff or anything else that you need to do or start on your starship.
I stopped needing my starship over 5 years ago...

All the missions that require you to use your starship say "Use your starship to travel to..." Many (not all) do that to properly trigger shipboard holo calls or make sure you enter the orbital station/starport for critical-path encounters.

Yeah.. I'm not hopeful that they fix this with the coming change. It's so integrated with the story triggers I doubt it's really worth all the rework, much less the new bugs it would probably introduce in the process.

My guess is you will end up at the space port on Alderaan, standing next to the quick travel point there.

That'd be my guess and hope too. However, if you read the OP, you'll not see anything stating or even hinting at that. It sounds like "bring up the map and if you have a perk unlocked you can travel to your ship instantly." That'd be only a minor improvement as we already can "insta-travel to Stronghold and exit it to the ship" without buying any perks.

That'd be my guess and hope too. However, if you read the OP, you'll not see anything stating or even hinting at that. It sounds like "bring up the map and if you have a perk unlocked you can travel to your ship instantly." That'd be only a minor improvement as we already can "insta-travel to Stronghold and exit it to the ship" without buying any perks.

Since they are showing up the map in the stream today, I would think until the stream is finished some of these questions will not be answered until the stream or afterwards.

All the missions that require you to use your starship say "Use your starship to travel to..."

Maybe in the actual quest log description, but nobody actually reads those texts. There are actually very few quests that say in your mission tracker "Use your ship to travel to Coruscant". You need your starship for basically everything storywise from your starter planet to CZ-198 and Oricon. Technically even for Ziost. That's how traveling the galaxy was designed to be.

Edited by BenKatarn

Yeah.. I'm not hopeful that they fix this with the coming change. It's so integrated with the story triggers I doubt it's really worth all the rework, much less the new bugs it would probably introduce in the process.

I wasn't expecting them to rework the "Use your ship to travel to..." stuff. It would be really really hard to do so.

I do expect them to remove all the QT restrictions unrelated to story triggers (hangars were mentioned, right?)

musco: yada yada yada QUICK TRAVEL IN SPACEPORTS!!!

It's about **** time. Next on the list is eliminating revive ooc cooldowns for all classes, fixing the Sith Academy staircases and removing the cost of taxis.

musco: something about legacy perks for different planets making the galaxy map free for those planets

does this mean we will get more legacy perks for more planets? Also does that include single use passes?

Maybe in the actual quest log description, but nobody actually reads those texts. There are actually very few quests that say in your mission tracker "Use your ship to travel to Coruscant". You need your starship for basically everything storywise from your starter planet to CZ-198 and Oricon. Technically even for Ziost. That's how traveling the galaxy was designed to be.

I recently played Trooper story that has countless of those and i can that each and every one that required it was showing complete in the tracker.

But worst case scenario, if doing purple class story, just use your ship when it says "Travel to...".

I recently played Trooper story that has countless of those and i can that each and every one that required it was showing complete in the tracker.

But worst case scenario, if doing purple class story, just use your ship when it says "Travel to...".

Yeah, 1-50 still would require travelling to planets due to how they work. Also, those others that require you to travel around and initiate quests too. I believe it'll be like that.

Nobody reads them? I did, but I am also the type to read the fine print on my cell phone and also read the TOS.

Is it QOL change that is BETTER then the original way? or more QOL like some recent QOL that were worse the old ways, like the mini map QOL changes even the revamp changes are not better then original way

Hey folks,

Coming with Game Update 5.2 is a new quality of life feature, a revamped Galaxy Map. Aside from just being improved aesthetically, it also provides new functionality. We really wanted to improve players’ ability to travel around the galaxy, let’s talk about what is new with the Galaxy Map:

• You must have a personal ship to use the Galaxy Map. Make sure you’ve completed the early part of your Class Mission!
  • You can access the Galaxy Map from anywhere by simply pressing the icon on your mini-map, navigate to it through the top UI, or use the shortcut key (Shift+M by default).
  • Takes advantage of Legacy Perks:
    • If you’ve acquired the Quick Travel perk, you can travel directly to your personal ship from the Galaxy Map.
    • If you have a Priority Transport/Planetary perks, you will have a zero credit cost to travel to that location from the Galaxy Map.
    • The Priority Transport perks function the same, but they no longer have a cooldown. Allowing you to travel quickly to different locations.

[*]You can now use Quick Travel while located inside ship hangers.

As you can see these changes should allow you to travel easily around the Galaxy and can save you the walk to your ship. Let us know if you have any questions about the functionality of the updated Galaxy Map. Tune in to our stream today where we will be showing it off.

-eric

Sounds great! The best part? You can now use Quick Travel while located inside ship hangers. It's only been needed for 5 years!

Great!

Now, I hate to be that guy, but this will make us see our ships even LESS.

Can you imagine a Star Wars saga film without the Falcon?

Can anyone remember feeling like you actually lived inside the Ebon Hawk (the ship, not the server) a long time ago in a galaxy far far away?

You want us hooked : give us life aboard our ships. C'mon. You already proved you can do it with the Gravestone.

:csw_falcon:.

Keep in mind, in 4.0 they made it so that all quick travel as well as speeder points, not to mention all speeder travel routes are unlocked as soon as you set foot on a planet now.

No they didn't. All taxis are open when you arrive on the planet, yes.

But QT points won't open until you pass through the map they are on (even if you are riding a taxi to a different map). And a few still need to be clicked to open them.

Now, I hate to be that guy, but this will make us see our ships even LESS.

How so? If you want to see your ship, you can still play as before. No one forces you to use the new features. Might I suggest to visit The Tomb on Belsavis and walk all the way back to your faction's base, from there take the shuttle to the orbital station and there walk to your ship. Like that you can still enjoy the original way of travelling in this game.

I on the other will hit the new button on the minimap as soon as it's there.

How so? If you want to see your ship, you can still play as before. No one forces you to use the new features. Might I suggest to visit The Tomb on Belsavis and walk all the way back to your faction's base, from there take the shuttle to the orbital station and there walk to your ship. Like that you can still enjoy the original way of travelling in this game.

I on the other will hit the new button on the minimap as soon as it's there.

Congrats for understanding ZIT.

I'm not talking about traveling time. I'm talking about having a reason to be in the ship. Aka, stuff happening there.

For it to feel like home. This is Star Wars. Spaceships.

Edited by BenduKundalini