How many Tanks for you have?

JekRendar

I'm in a pickle. I have three characters I'd like to level up: Jedi Knight, Trooper, Sith Warrior and Bounty Hunter. I haven't played a tank since '08 in AoC, '04 in EQII and '03 in Shadowbane. Visually and mechanically, the Trooper and BH look the most promising, but the JK and SW have better and more engaging stories. I suppose I could always make one a medic.

Is it worth it to have more that one tank of the same faction? How long does it typically take to grind up a tank?

Thanks!

Is it worth it to have more that one tank of the same faction?

Well, as a player that has 3 tanks, one of each AC, at 50 on the same server for the same faction, I can say that it's worth it but much of that is due to my dislike of playing DPS and enjoyment of playing tanks. As such, it depends greatly on how much you enjoy tanking. If you do, you'll get a lot of mileage out of running multiple tanks, especially since it lets you see the comparative strengths and weaknesses of each as you level them up.

How long does it typically take to grind up a tank?

In my experience, I've found that it takes pretty much the same amount of time to level a tank as it does to level a DPS, thanks largely to the companion system. As a tank, you'll kill slightly slower than a DPS, but you'll have substantially less downtime, not to mention the ability to solo Heroics while leveling and faster GF queues. A lot of it depends on how much you enjoy playing your tank, since you're going to level up a character you enjoy playing substantially faster than a character you don't.

I find questions like this to be silly. And I don't say that to be insulting.

Who cares how many tanks you have. Hey, if you want to fill your legacy up with 12 Guardian tanks then you go right ahead!

But if you're looking for permission to have more than one tank, let me just throw this at ya: I have multiple tanks, even though I didn't intend to. This is because I found that when doing FP's as a dps so many of the tanks I ran with were so timid and liked to linger at the back. I ended up respeccing my applicable classes to tanks simply so that it wouldn't take three weeks to do a FP cause the tank is hiding in the back.

Regarding how long it takes to level a tank, about as long as it takes to level a dps, or a healer. Unless you're an absolute min/max type of player, does it really matter? How fast you level is going to be more dependent on how many missions you do, not how fast.

I find questions like this to be silly. And I don't say that to be insulting.

Who cares how many tanks you have. Hey, if you want to fill your legacy up with 12 Guardian tanks then you go right ahead!

But if you're looking for permission to have more than one tank, let me just throw this at ya: I have multiple tanks, even though I didn't intend to. This is because I found that when doing FP's as a dps so many of the tanks I ran with were so timid and liked to linger at the back. I ended up respeccing my applicable classes to tanks simply so that it wouldn't take three weeks to do a FP cause the tank is hiding in the back.

Regarding how long it takes to level a tank, about as long as it takes to level a dps, or a healer. Unless you're an absolute min/max type of player, does it really matter? How fast you level is going to be more dependent on how many missions you do, not how fast.

Same for me I started with a jugg then I was curious about trooper and pt got one of each and then I thought hmmmm whats left oooh Assasin tank. I love em all but my trooper and bh are my favs

I used to have 2 tanks. But I early respecced one into DPS, and tried to stick to having only one tank, but lately this one has also been respecced to DPS. The reasons of my respecs are that I'm not satisfied with how are tanks in PvP. I am a fan of PvP tanking, but with the way they have designed classes and mechanics, I can't enjoy it, although I've waited 1.4 to respec my last tank who is my main since release. It's just that my ideal of a tank is not what they have designed. Edited by Altheran

I have 2 tanks, a Guardian and a Powetech. Leveling with my Guardian was a bit of a pain until I got Doc, as I was a new MMO player at the time. However leveling with my PT is fairly easy, seeing as how your first companion is a healer.

The wierd thing is my Shadow is excellent at tanking despite the fact that I am DPS-specced lol

Edited by revansowns