One planet is not an expansion

Darth-Rammstein

Ok dont get me wrong i like the idea of an expansion but didnt they say when they were first announcing free to play that any future expansions would be free to subscribers?? whatever happened to holding up there end if the deal? they never announced that they were changing what they said and frankly i feel lied to....:mad:

• Replies 666
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok dont get me wrong i like the idea of an expansion but didnt they say when they were first announcing free to play that any future expansions would be free to subscribers?? whatever happened to holding up there end if the deal? they never announced that they were changing what they said and frankly i feel lied to....:mad:

They never said expansions would be free. They said *non-expansion content updates* would be free. The whole reason why people are angry is that they feel this is just a simple content update disguised as an expansion.

Sorry EAWare but a single planet is not considered an expansion for any mmo. $10 isn't a lot of money but it shouldn't cost anything to subscribers to be honest. You have made a killing with the f2p shop, it's not like you're not making money off this game already! Not to mention you can't even purchase it with CC coins, just seems to me like another nickel and dime grab from your loyal fans.

Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ Rise of the Hutt Cartel

The first Digital Expansion for The Old Republic™ introduces an aggressive new enemy threatening the future of the galaxy: the Hutt Cartel

Experience 5 new levels, including story-driven missions, as the level cap increases to 55!

Face-off against a frightening new enemy when you battle the nefarious Hutt Cartel.

The fate of the new planet Makeb is at stake... and in your hands.

Stay tuned for more information coming soon - Over the next few months we will reveal more exciting new features!

It is an expansion, it only costs $10, stop adding to the already 100 retarded threads that are WRONG!

No one could ever please you. You could have thirty of the most beautiful women on the planet jerking you off, and you would still be a miserable ********.

His analysis isn't that bad. Belsavis one of the largest planets, has datacrons and two main planet storylines. That being said, if they gave us Belsavis with many high quality faction-story missions I'd be okay. The issue is that with so many of the original writers gone, I doubt we're going to be seeing the same quality from the story missions. I HOPE I'm wrong. I'm willing to pay the $9.99 if it has a new Operation and Flashpoint attached.

The idea of an MMO is that you get something for your $15 a month.. We really have not gotten anything of note in a year, just broken promises and bugs.

To then make us pay $10 for something that should have been released for our monthly sub?

All you are entitled to for your 15 bucks is the ability to log in and play the game. Minus downtime for maintenance of course....thats it.

Where did we ever grow this entitlement mentality that we are owed anything else?

Doesn't really matter what you call it anymore - people are unsubbing over it. I simply consider it sad.

Sure they are.

I always see people who "unsubbed"..yet still occupy these forums spreading their doom and gloom. Will some? maybe...but Im betting most of them saying they will are BSing. Scratch down the names in this thread who are "unsubbing" and keep an eye out for them after Makeb, they'll still be here ************ about something Makeb didnt include.

I don't get why so many people on this thread still play this game. When this news broke I was excited a new world, new gear, new dailies and bosses plus 5 new levels all for 10 bucks. Man this made my day maybe even my week "I know I am a sad middle aged man".

Then you come on the forums and people are yelling about the fact that it should be free, arguing on whether it is a expansion pack or DLC whatever. The great thing about this is if you are not 50 you don't need to buy the thing just keep doing what you are doing and then at 50 decide. Now for those already at 50 yeah you are in tight spot but only if you getting caught in semantics either you want to play the game or not? Simple really if you are not excited about the new content then you need to ask yourself do you really want to keep playing? I don't mean this in a mean way I had a break for about 2 months to give me some space and to do some real life stuff. Feels great to be back by the way but sorry for the digression. Really if this does not at least make you at least a little excited maybe it is time to take some time off, the game will be here when you get back.

To give you all a better idea of Makeb's scope, it's a planet of equal size to our larger planets and it contains a variety of areas – sprawling mesas, underground caverns, garden estates, and more. It introduces faction-specific storylines, new Heroic missions and bosses, repeatable mission series, and new Datacrons! The 5 new levels will occupy players for a fair amount of time, and there's plenty of content to get you there (including a lot of stuff tucked away for the explorers out there). Keep in mind that this announcement is just the start – as we approach Makeb's launch, you'll see more details about the content coming with Rise of the Hutt Cartel!

Sorry EAWare but a single planet is not considered an expansion for any mmo. $10 isn't a lot of money but it shouldn't cost anything to subscribers to be honest. You have made a killing with the f2p shop, it's not like you're not making money off this game already! Not to mention you can't even purchase it with CC coins, just seems to me like another nickel and dime grab from your loyal fans..

$10 For an expansion is very cheap. Makeb brings in a lot of new things which people including have been waiting for a very long time. It is also a very prompt and quaint release timing since patch 1.7. I am extremely pleased.

Thanks Bioware for taking the first true next step in you great game! I will be around for many more years to come and am looking forward to this expansion and I have already bought it!

Edited by MastaKorgy

To give you all a better idea of Makeb's scope, it's a planet of equal size to our larger planets and it contains a variety of areas – sprawling mesas, underground caverns, garden estates, and more. It introduces faction-specific storylines, new Heroic missions and bosses, repeatable mission series, and new Datacrons! The 5 new levels will occupy players for a fair amount of time, and there's plenty of content to get you there (including a lot of stuff tucked away for the explorers out there). Keep in mind that this announcement is just the start – as we approach Makeb's launch, you'll see more details about the content coming with Rise of the Hutt Cartel!

Umm...no without the continuing character story line...this is not an expansion no matter how you spin it.

Look to be honest, if you guys would just let the subscriber's be able to buy with their cartel coins, alot of the grief would rightly so go away.

You know whats funny its not even these boards, after an expansion is announced released, its worst on the wow forums, yet people keep playing.

When one is announce people complain about the price, the content, what ever, yet they still play like all you are.

Its a Expansion because they want ti to be its going to be fun from what they have just said, and we dont know the whole story yet, we still have a few months til "spring" hits and thats march to june, in a calander year or april to july is a finacial calender also know aa "Q1". So we have time. Its 10 bucks for a sub even after launch and 20 for a f2p member, which is fair, look at other expansions like wow, $40 bucks for theirs, and yes it agives a bit more but again we dont know everything yet.

And most of their planets are bigger then most of the areas i have ever played in wow, zones no.

its been a year and they are realeasing a expansiopns thats pretty good ether way.

You are describing a content patch.

Nothing told so far even suggests there would be some apparent valid reason to increase lvl cap whatsoever. With one highly significant exception; increasing lvl cap forces people who have any interest in dealing with a lvl cap content to buy this..this " expansion:D" Based on all that has been said and done so far, this is only reason why cap is increased. Otherwise people might simply skip this.

No mention of Flashpoints or new Ops.

No mention of a single new game feature or tweak.

I have no issue paying for expansions in addition to having to pay a sub fee. Out of non dysfunctional MMOs, only Eve Online has approach more fair to consumers.

I have huge issue with EA forcing me to buy seeminhly irrelevant, unnecessary additional planet by bringing completely artifical, ill justified lvl cap increase with it.

New expansion. Lvl cap increase.

NO mention of new lvl cap content.

ROFLMAO.

Amen. Anyone who wants to pvp MUST buy this. Anyone who does endgame Ops/FPs MUST buy this.

Just a thought here.

From simple math, wasn't MoP like 39.99? Plus, a lot of popular gamers quit after 2 days of crazy grinding.

SWTOR expansion pack is 9.99 (19.99 for f2p) and I mean "More Information Coming in the Later Months"

If you hate the game so much, how can you still post here? (You have to be a sub)

You honestly can't ask so much from the Devs. They had 2 Million Sales and 2 Million Likes on Facebook...That's no simple achievement...

If Makeb is as big as their larger planets, then it's probably a little smaller than most expansions from other MMOs out there, in terms of the overall size of the new leveling areas. That said, it's only about half the price of an average expansion, so it doesn't have to be as large.

Things this x-pack still lacks, based on the info we have right now:

- new PvP content (be that a new instanced warzone, or something in the open world)

- new group content (either a couple of Flashpoints, or a single new Operation, would be enough I think)

- a new tier of end-game gear obtainable from these new dungeon(s)

- at least one new playable race (included in the x-pack, not just added to the cash shop)

- new legacy perks for higher legacy levels (they are long overdue)

Even with all that in addition to what's been announced, this expansion would only offer roughly half the content of a typical WoW expansion (which is usually 10 new levels, multiple raids and dungeons, multiple new races, something for PvPers, and then some smaller goodies to top it off.) Since WoW expansions are $40.00, then offering roughly half of that will make Rise of the Hutt Cartel a decent $20.00 value.

-Macheath.

Edited by Macheath

Just a thought here.

From simple math, wasn't MoP like 39.99? Plus, a lot of popular gamers quit after 2 days of crazy grinding.

SWTOR expansion pack is 9.99 (19.99 for f2p) and I mean "More Information Coming in the Later Months"

If you hate the game so much, how can you still post here? (You have to be a sub)

You honestly can't ask so much from the Devs. They had 2 Million Sales and 2 Million Likes on Facebook...That's no simple achievement...

I bought MoP for 29.99 and that came with 30 days of game time, raid, multiple instances, new zone, new class, new race, new pets, new quests, new story, new mounts, new zone.

RotHC is 19.99, does NOT come with 30 days of game, nor any of the other stuff. All it comes with is the planet and 5 levels.

those multiple raids and dungeons are added afterwords, so you think about it they can do what they have right now, its close to a typical wow expansions, granted the last two only went 5 levels, like this one. but all the "extra content" is added in content patches, wow usally realeases with 1 maybe 2 raids anf the others are added in along the way.

I bought MoP for 29.99 and that came with 30 days of game time, raid, multiple instances, new zone, new class, new race, new pets, new quests, new story, new mounts, new zone.

RotHC is 19.99, does NOT come with 30 days of game, nor any of the other stuff. All it comes with is the planet and 5 levels.

And yet another post that makes assuptions, we have afew months let them get more news out, if they poped the cherry on the first reveal you all would complain that there isnt enough then to.

its a marketing tactic, you tease a product then closer you let more news be known, its happened idk every game or movie release ever.

And yet another post that makes assuptions, we have afew months let them get more news out, if they poped the cherry on the first reveal you all would complain that there isnt enough then to.

its a marketing tactic, you tease a product then closer you let more news be known, its happened idk every game or movie release ever.

Or the infamous gosh darned iPhone, for example.

EDIT: by BW, appearently?^ If it were Cdn BW, I would be cool with it. But since this is Austin BW, I am not so cool with this censoring...the spirit of Cdn apologeticism, and all:o ...oh well. I derailed myself.

Edited by AboB

those multiple raids and dungeons are added afterwords, so you think about it they can do what they have right now, its close to a typical wow expansions, granted the last two only went 5 levels, like this one. but all the "extra content" is added in content patches, wow usally realeases with 1 maybe 2 raids anf the others are added in along the way.

I'm sorry but you really should check your facts before you post dude. Here is a list of what it launched with.

http://www.wowpedia.org/World_of_Warcraft:_Mists_of_Pandaria

Break down

Level cap

New Race

New Class

Talent System Revamp and class rebalance

Pet Battles

Player Housing/Player Farms

New type of AH

9 new zones

6 New dungeons

4 Revamped dungeons

3 New Raids

2 New Battlegrounds

2 New arenas

And I paid $10 more than they are asking for the SWTOR expansion and got a free month of game time out of it...

dude first off, ive played it the dungeons release yes, the raids did not they were added afterwords so get your facts straight and dont throw a wikipedi page at me like you know what your talking about.

Because the funny thing about those wiki sites anyone can edit it. thats why they are a uncredible source when you use them for any paper or anything you do for a job or school.

Edited by Bounty_

You're the one making the assumption that it's going to come with MORE than advertised...

I'm assuming that it will launch with what they have said it will launch with, as it is advertised ON THEIR PREORDER SITE.

You can wait for the marketing shills to come out and oversell every single minor addition "OMG LOOK AT THIS AWESOME NEW BRACER PIECE" as the greatest thing since sliced bread. But the fact remains, if they thought it'd come with 3 raids, they'd be screaming it from the rooftops and then if they couldn't finish them in time they'd say "we'll add them eventually" just like they did with Legacy, Ranked Warzones, Nightmare modes etc.

Oooh, new Datacrons! I wonder if there is going to be hidden pets to aquire as well? :)

lol, im actually excited about the datacron

But you know thats really kinda my point as well

They put out this statement saying this this and this

People complain (in mass) and a community manager gives us more details inside a thread most players will never see

Why not give us the details like was said here

Coming Expansion:

New Full sized planet with subterrain caverns and gardens

Increased levels

increased datacrons

More heroics

Faction based story lines

new equipement

new rewards

100s of hours of new game play (Im hoping this for sure as if there isnt 100s of hours of new content, then this really does fall short of a expansion on any level)

*and what ever else there is for sure that they can say to pump up the concept*

The bigger they make it sound, the less people veiw it as a content update

The less people veiw it as a content update, the more happy and excited the people will be.

Its not rocket science,

Really its just marketing 101

Get people excited about the product

Lets face it, EA has screwed themselves because James O. statements on behalf of EA are in writing and no one can legitly deny that fact. He sold the subscribers on a bundle of goods that as subscribers they will not have to pay for content updates. Honestly it will not shock me to hear someone in the states challenging this issue in court there. Lesser company gaffs have landed them in court regarding MMOs. Im sure someone will carry the ball on this one.

But thats EAs problem, not mine. Frankly I dont much care either way to be honest. They made their bed and well we all know the rest.

But why on earth couldnt they upsell this content update and whats in it.

They had to know there would be instant resistance from many subscribers over this.

Just seems to me the logical course is to make the product sell like a fully detailed expansion, even if its not.

The datacrons make me happy as I figured out like 90% of the in game datacrons with no walk through aides. I like figuring them out and had they announced more datacrons it would have lessened some of the hesitation over this.

Im also happy the planet will be full size. Its not enough (3 new full sized planets would be acceptable each expansion we pay for) but at least its something as I seriously did have the vision of Quesh or Tython or Korriban size planets as what I was expecting based off their press release.

5 levels, but are their new skills to the 5 levels?

Do we just put points into existing skill trees?

Are the skill trees also increasedf?

Is there new gear for the new levels?

What comes with the 5 levels?

Seems to me, and this seems to have been the problem since day 1, EAware wants to show how much controil they have and constantly try to hold info back from the players.

I dont get this mentality

A subscriber (not a f2P player but someone that pays a monthly rate) should be valued and any developer should WANT to share information and get their player base excited and hopeful.

With TOR its always been the mods and devs with holding info and not controlling the spin so half the people get over blown ideas and are let down and the other half (im now in this part, originally I was in the first part) just expect the worst case senario as they been mislead and beat down to much.

Allison, your post gives hope. Thank you

But for the life of me I dont understand why that couldnt have been said from the get go.

You all ask for money upfront but refuse to tell everyone what exactly they paying for.

As I said all along, ill wait and see before commiting.

The datacrons and planet size gives a ray of hope,

hopefully more informative comments are given immediately to let everyone know all thats involved in this content update.

Or hey, we can stay the course of limited info and no interaction with your player base and we can continue with the outpouring of negative responces to concepts that SHOULD ideally bring about excitement and hope.

Edited by Kalfear

I'm sorry but you really should check your facts before you post dude. Here is a list of what it launched with.

http://www.wowpedia.org/World_of_Warcraft:_Mists_of_Pandaria

Break down

Level cap

New Race

New Class

Talent System Revamp and class rebalance

Pet Battles

Player Housing/Player Farms

New type of AH

9 new zones

6 New dungeons

4 Revamped dungeons

3 New Raids

2 New Battlegrounds

2 New arenas

And I paid $10 more than they are asking for the SWTOR expansion and got a free month of game time out of it...

I didn't know about the free month. You get a free month when you buy MoP?