F2P Restrictions

papragu

Hello dear Devs,

i came back to SW:TOR because i was very excited that the game goes F2P but some of the restriction are taking the fun out of the game way too much.

F2P restrictions:

Dear BW or EA i am sure the community understands that you want to milk the cow and have to pay your employees but you guys really didnt do your homework here. If i look at the restrictions i have the feeling you checked all the big F2P titles out there atm and put all their restriction into your game.

Limited character/bank/inventory slots.

(is all fine, everybody is used it from other games.)

Limited Exp. gain smells alot like WOT.

(not good, reduces the gameplay to more grinding to level up, this way you scare off casual players.)

Limited cash in your inventory, reminds me at DCUO

(This is bad, this even inflicts the gameplay for your paying customers, they craft items and want to sell them on the market but cant cuz the other players only can have a max of 200 - 350K, this is bad and has to be changed)

Limited Email function and marketplace, Aion

(can live with it, it can be changed by spending 5 bucks altho pref status should be able to send items aswell)

Limiting the gear you can use,

(thats new to me and hilarious. This needs to go. This again messes up paying ppl who craft and want to sell items.)

Limiting Space missions.

(Well lol i dont give a ..., they are boring and in their current state not worth the time playing them)

Limited Warzones/Flashpoints

(With barely non existing end game content, you really shouldnt limit this too much. It should have a daylie limit but not a weekly)

Limiting the GUI.

(Thats another new one to me, and is really annoying, give the pref. status players atleast 3 quick bars)

F2P should ppl give the feeling that they want to spend some cash on the game, out of their own will because they get some more out of it. Atm we have a state that ppl are forced to pay to get basic game elements and that is the wrong way.

And now that you spent so much time giving us F2P and HK-51, how about fixing some good old bugs. Companions lightsaber still active while its holstered?? Disappearing taxi while traveling and such other funny things. ;)

Then the suggestion would be to actually go F2P and not pay trap.

This current model is a pay trap model, the least successful model in the F2P line.

A true F2P game has the entire game FREE, with a store front selling buffs and vanity items via MICRO-transactions. Note the MICRO part of that. The F2P games making the most money all use the micro transaction model and they sell TONS and I mean TONS of costumes, armor, buff items, mounts, weapons...hell even hats, flowers, mirrors, fireworks...

The idea that you are going to get a lot of people to pay a good deal of money to play a game that didnt work with a subscription model is insane to say the least...it wasnt good enough to pay for the FULL game...make the game free, sell small items to ENHANCE the average game you have.

you cant have the whole game with no restrictions for FREE, otherwise what would be the point for anyone to pay a sub?

if you want restrictions taken away then either pay the sub or use cartel coins to buy unlocks

This.

I do however, agree with the fact that the FTP module needs a little bit of work. Like the restrictions on two chars could be expanded, or at least that you could buy more slots. And one more quickbar would make it a lot better for the FTP members. Other than that, I like it.

Edit: Also, purple items should be worn by FTP members as well. The game shouldn't be broken, and it shouldn't really be Pay To Win.

Edited by Jorgoman

Hello dear Devs,

i came back to SW:TOR because i was very excited that the game goes F2P but some of the restriction are taking the fun out of the game way too much.

F2P restrictions:

Dear BW or EA i am sure the community understands that you want to milk the cow and have to pay your employees but you guys really didnt do your homework here. If i look at the restrictions i have the feeling you checked all the big F2P titles out there atm and put all their restriction into your game.

Limited character/bank/inventory slots.

(is all fine, everybody is used it from other games.)

(not good, reduces the gameplay to more grinding to level up, this way you scare off casual players.)

(This is bad, this even inflicts the gameplay for your paying customers, they craft items and want to sell them on the market but cant cuz the other players only can have a max of 200 - 350K, this is bad and has to be changed)

Limited Email function and marketplace, Aion

(can live with it, it can be changed by spending 5 bucks altho pref status should be able to send items aswell)

(thats new to me and hilarious. This needs to go. This again messes up paying ppl who craft and want to sell items.)

Limiting Space missions.

(Well lol i dont give a ..., they are boring and in their current state not worth the time playing them)

(With barely non existing end game content, you really shouldnt limit this too much. It should have a daylie limit but not a weekly)

Limiting the GUI.

(Thats another new one to me, and is really annoying, give the pref. status players atleast 3 quick bars)

F2P should ppl give the feeling that they want to spend some cash on the game, out of their own will because they get some more out of it. Atm we have a state that ppl are forced to pay to get basic game elements and that is the wrong way.

And now that you spent so much time giving us F2P and HK-51, how about fixing some good old bugs. Companions lightsaber still active while its holstered?? Disappearing taxi while traveling and such other funny things. ;)

Just pay the sub and watch all the limits vanish. See you need heavy restrictions or you would also allow for current subs to drop to F2P. You can't have it both ways.

Edited by Gryphandor

You missed one.

F2p characters can not use/access subscriber made custom chat channels. These are frequently used by guilds to help players get invites so you dont need to have officers on the starter planets or make new characters wait until level 7 to get to the fleet.

I was excited to return to SWtor I payed subs for many months before however 2 skill bars ? how am I expected to play with only half my skills. As a previous poster said this is the most idiotic restriction of any game. Me, my family and my ex guild mates all left again as soon as we saw this

Pro Tip: Restrict exp gain, market trades and number of warzones/operations. With other hinderences such as slower unlock of mounts and sprint (even if you do level 15 sprint with 25 first mount like it was to start) do not restrict core aspects of the game making an MMO and solo RPG for f2p as they will never get into end game content as they have not learned how to play the damn game

• 1 month later...
I understand why they have restrictions, but some of them are just dumb, and really not a good way to get players back to the game or even want to try it... i subscribed for a month to see the difference, and its pretty large. But then again, the sub to the game is even more expansive then World of warcraft with like.... 70 % of the content. Its insane that the price is higher then the most subscribed game in the world. And limitations to gear is just stupid. Weekly FP/Warzone is dumb. Should be daily, that way players might actually get to TRY the game, not just play a mini game inside the game.

• 1 month later...

I was informed yesterday by an F2P player that he/she could not do any Flashpoints. He/she kept getting error messages when trying to access it. Also every time there was a mission complete that gave items for his/her companion, he/she could not access them. Change the F2P mission rewards if the companion customize isn't gonna change.

In my opinion, F2P players should get access to trading, companion customization, and personal appearance customize. Seems silly to limit them with those.:

:sy_spacestation: The Karnak Legacy @ the Harbinger

• 3 months later...

I disagree. You can level just fine with F2P. You level faster if you pay. This is accomplishes the same thing as buying "boosters" in other F2Ps.

Do you really think anything selling for more than 350K on the GTN is what the F2P crowd is browsing for?

You can unlock artifact gear with a one-time purchase. Seems fair.

Yeah, I'd like to see a limit of like 1 per day as well.

Limiting the GUI.

Preferred gets four action bars already.

You can play the game just fine as F2P. You can do much more as a Preferred, and you can further unlock things really important to you. It takes $5 to unlock much of the game; it takes $20 to unlock a ton of it.

I definitely don't have an issue with the current F2P model, outside of the FP/WZ limits; they seem too strong, without a permanent unlock that I'm aware of.

• 3 weeks later...
I disagree. You can level just fine with F2P. You level faster if you pay. This is accomplishes the same thing as buying "boosters" in other F2Ps.

Do you really think anything selling for more than 350K on the GTN is what the F2P crowd is browsing for?

You can unlock artifact gear with a one-time purchase. Seems fair.

Yeah, I'd like to see a limit of like 1 per day as well.

Preferred gets four action bars already.

You can play the game just fine as F2P. You can do much more as a Preferred, and you can further unlock things really important to you. It takes $5 to unlock much of the game; it takes $20 to unlock a ton of it.

I definitely don't have an issue with the current F2P model, outside of the FP/WZ limits; they seem too strong, without a permanent unlock that I'm aware of.

While this is true if you just want to play the game and skip crafting skip warzones PVP then I wonder if F2P is a better step. What sucks is I just purchased like a million dollars 2 650k and can't use it as a subscriber until I go into F2P.

I have 27 more days to go and will be house sitting end of the month so F2P will have to be expressed in order to use these funds for items etc.