Dont add PvE to galactic starfighter!

The_Grand_Nagus

Sure, the majority of players prefer PvE. Sure, the majority of players want PvE added to galactic starfighter. But who says the majority know best? If people want to enjoy the new free-flight space system, then FORCE them to PvP!

Besides, its just way too hard designing AI that can fly in space, and doing hard things isnt fun. So why bother? Dont add PvE to Galactic Starfighter!!!

:)

What kind of logic is that? Certainly not business running logic. If the majority of players want something then give it to them to make them happy and keep their subs. The needs of the many out weigh the needs of the few.

Edited by Cordarn

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Op is entitled to his opinion. You can't "FORCE them to PvP." I ran two instances of those spacezone and have no interest of returning.

SOE did it over 9+ years ago ( Jump to Lightspeed ), Microsoft 10+ years ago ( Freelancer ). The key is it's too hard for EAware, not too hard in general.

Too bad sony or soe won't share their source code. You also failed to take into account development time. Freelancer from what I found started development in 2000 and was not published until 2003. That's three years of development with a full development team. After a project is finish, the development team is always reduced since you don't need as many. As for JTL, sony has not released any information about development time or cost. It easy to say it's not too hard. If that were the case everyone would be engineeers or doctors.

What if they add a small starfighter PVE "raid" with a new operation. If it were Oricon, we'd have to fight the Dread Master Fleet and defeat them in space before we can land on the planet (do the dailies) and raid Fortress and Palace :rolleyes:.

one can dream

You will be assimilated:mad:I really didn't understand the reasoning behind it being strickly PVP.Here you have all these folks that are into Space Combat before this came out.I am not. I do PVP some but with some of the other stuff added recently it is pretty much meh..why bother.Anyhow nice job on starting the discussion and for those crying about it nothing is forcing them to stay.

Sure, the majority of players prefer PvE. Sure, the majority of players want PvE added to galactic starfighter. But who says the majority know best? If people want to enjoy the new free-flight space system, then FORCE them to PvP!

Besides, its just way too hard designing AI that can fly in space, and doing hard things isnt fun. So why bother? Dont add PvE to Galactic Starfighter!!!

Not sure how adding PvE elements to GSF would negatively affect its PvP elements. WZs are instanced so from a PvP standpoint I doubt that anything would be gained or lost by it. Edited by GalacticKegger

Was reading an article a few days ago, EVE Evolved: Merging Valkyrie with EVE Online, and I caught this line towards the middle of it;

"It's pretty unlikely that you'll be dogfighting among actual EVE Online spaceships in realtime, as the load on the server caused by direct flight controls would be prohibitive. A simple alternative would be to have EVE Online, DUST 514 and EVE Valkyrie share the same character pool, allowing players of one game to jump into the others with the same personae."

I am curious if SWTOR's servers would face the same issue trying to handle the load of both persistent space PvE with direct control and the persistent terrestrial PvE. I was curious if a Dev could lend some insight as to whether or not this had an effect on implementing space PvE.

In addtion I wonder if Bioware sees an increase in subscribers and revenue to make the purchase additional servers dedicated to space PvE, integrate it with the existing game and develop an entire space PvE game worth it. JTL did give a boost to SWGs subscriptions but it didn't double those numbers or anything. I suspect (but in no way know) that Bioware might have come to that conclusion at this juncture and opted for the space PvP as result.

Since most players want Space PvE, I think it is fair to ask if they would be willing to consider a second subscription for a properly done PvE game that will meets (hopefully exceeds) peoples expectations. If this comes down to money, can Bioware ask for more if they provide the requested product or do people feel that it is something that should be covered by their existing subscription.

After reading this, other articles and Biowares vague statements I am wondering if this comes do to a cost/benefit analysis and space PvE just didn't appear to be worth the investment. I dunno, something I was thinking about the past day or so.

Thoughts? Opinions? Psychotic ramblings?

I for one would pay for more PVE content , to me the only real reason the pvp space content was free, who would have paid ti any way all most everyone i have talked in game said they would not, i know i would not have , i don't even do it.. i do PVP but I like the ground matches more . if we get PVE space content , I will pay for it ,

I agree what's the OPer beef any way he got some long a waited and much needed PVP content Free ..

I'm not here complaining and for maybe the next two month all well see is PVP content til all off the F2P have Access in FEB .

Some PVE every now and then . what would be a big mistake is no more PVE content and they go hard core P VP .but till FEB i have no Complaint's what so ever , I am in fact glad they gave the PVPer some much needed ( I say what i mean ). content and free at that ..

Edited by tanktest

You belong to the 3rd circle of MMO hell. Forever forced to vent frustrations on forum boards that nobody posts or reads, aside other vile, toxic complainers.

Well, I'd rather they did a space expansion >right< instead of this pvp-only thing, but at least i won't have to pay for it.

Probably because they know they couldn't sell it to enough folks, and it would just split up the player base otherwise...

But I also believe that this horse has been flogged to death so hard all is left is just a smear on the pavement. :(

They make a space combat minigame. It seems it wasn't what many players wanted.

They make another space combat minigame. It seems it's also what many players didn't want,

but probably not all the same players that didn't want the first space combat minigame.

At any rate, BiowarEA seems to have their finger on the pulse of the playerbase,

and they're pressing harder and harder, until they stop the blood flow.

I honestly hope you never have occasion to check my pulse. 0_o

The sarcastic flavor of the original post is pretty eyerolly to me, but I agree with the sentiment. I really wish the devs wouldn't just write off PVE space combat. Hell, I'd rather have a co-op version of the old space missions than nothing at all. Space combat is a huge part of Star Wars, and this is an MMO, and to me? MMOs are about playing with -friends-. And I can't do quality gaming with friends in a 12x12 free for all with a bunch of strangers in a minigame where the constant competetive pressure means I can't even take two seconds to type a quip. Not to mention the story based nature of this game, which is part of why I love it, is absolutely non-existent in this expansion. I'm having a bit of fun with this right now, but the single game mode is already wearing a bit thin.

• 4 weeks later...
I think there should eventually be some sort of pve element thrown into GSF. It could start off as simply a player vs ai match. Then later Bioware could add a campaign mode. And for those of you who are complaining that designing ai opponents flying in space would be too hard, then take a look at x-wing alliance and any number of other free-flight starwars games there are. I'm sure Bioware can handle it if they really want to go that route.

Get rid of Razdek all together its a waste of developer resources that should be spent on the actual game. Razdeks can go to hell

That reads a lot better.

Anyway, Flysis/AirRivals/Space Cowboy Online has done space PvE well enough. No excuses, BioWare.

I want there to be levels with capital ships. There can still be two teams of fighters head to head but I want to be attacking objectives on capital ships while the other team defends and turrets from the big ships are firing. They won't need space AI for that, the turret AI can be the same as it is on the sats.

I think fighting NPCs in space would be lame. At least as far as other AI ships anyway.

Also, it would lower the amount of players queuing for GSF matches. So I'd be against a PvE version of GSF.

However, I do think that the GSF concept should be incorporated into some PvE environments. For example, imagine an ops boss that required some players on the team to fly ships to support other players on the ground?

I think fighting NPCs in space would be lame. At least as far as other AI ships anyway.

Also, it would lower the amount of players queuing for GSF matches. So I'd be against a PvE version of GSF.

However, I do think that the GSF concept should be incorporated into some PvE environments. For example, imagine an ops boss that required some players on the team to fly ships to support other players on the ground?

I think it would actually increase the number of people quing for GSF pvp. Nobody plays GSf pvp anymore because they get destroyed. Maybe if they could play awhile in pve and get better they would be able to do a little better in pvp and would start quing again.