Where have the tanks gone?

Anysao

there seems to be lots of low lvl tanks we get like 2 tank sper group in Hammer station and Athiss(frequently), actually in Athiss just last night i ran twice in a group of 3 tanks and 1 healer:D, as for the 50`s they probably (like me) log just for guild ops or they just go dps route for pvp alternatively lvling new toons, sooner or later we all kick the bucket at 50, this game was made for multiple toons just look at Legacy

Normal, in these levels you can be DPS specced, and use tank stance with a shield and tank the whole content. I've personally done this with my Advance Prototype early specced Powertech in Hammer Station.

Levelled a def Jugg till Lvl 50. Then i tried DPS treee and it was that much more fun.

DPS Jugg is a blast for me...tanking with my jugg isnt that bad but...i dont get the yay-feeling like i did in WoW with my Warrior.

So i try a Assa tank now..lvl 15 atm. Tried PT tank and didnt like it at all. Hope, assa will be MY tanking option. I´d hate not to tank anymore :-/

I have been tanking since 1999 in EQ1, love it, and will never roll a DPS for more than the occasional *****s and giggles.

My wife plays a healer in all the games we play so it works out pretty well.

As far as stupid DPS'ers, we just put them on ignore, and boot them from the group. Once they are on ignore you will never be put into another random with them, lovely system. :) Generally we give them 2-3 chances .. everyone makes mistakes afterall. After the 2nd or 3rd time I will usually stop the group and address the problem, if they respond positivitly they can stay, if they start throwing out insults and playing the blame game, away they go!

After a few weeks of PUG'ing your ignore list will grow quite a bit, but you will slowly start weeding out the idiots.

On strike from PUG tanking/healing... Too many bad DPS/Healers/Tanks depending on whats being played... But mostly DPS since thats the overwhelming numbers.

That and at least on our server seems no one else is interested in learning a new skill carrying their weight imo I have 12 toons all various classes to fulfill the roles, learn abilities etc etc. The one that drove me off the deep end was too many comments of "I wont Heal or I wont Tank ever" Great neither will I then except for close guildmates and friends I know.

Its funny to see this thread because just yesterday I was thinking this same thing! And im sorry if you guys are talking about PVE, but seriously I have not seen a real tank in a level 1-49 PVP match in like 20-30 games. And I know that this is kinda obvious because tanks suck for pvp but I used to see them all the time.

Its funny to see this thread because just yesterday I was thinking this same thing! And im sorry if you guys are talking about PVE, but seriously I have not seen a real tank in a level 1-49 PVP match in like 20-30 games. And I know that this is kinda obvious because tanks suck for pvp but I used to see them all the time.

QFT.

even those playing tank capable classes seem to have removed their taunts from their action bars.

I havent felt a guard as a healer in PUGs in ages, and god forbid anyone taunts or peels.

I use to PvP all the time in the 1-49 matches on my PT tank. I usually ran with a dedicated healer and we just went around stomping people. Having multiple CCs from my healer friend, and my Jet Charge/Grapple were just deadly in Huttball with those fire traps.

There is just something very satisfying about being nearly unkillable in PvP ... of course this was quite a while ago, now that everyone has had time to gear up I dont think it will be quite as easy :(

In my experience, the worrisome specs are the ones that are popular and focused around PvP: many players jump into the FotM spec for PvP, see that they're dealing a lot of damage at the end of WZs and assume that the same playstyle and spec are going to be simply *amazing* for PvE content (I actually met someone that thought that the Shadow hybrid tank spec for PvP was a legitimate PvE DPS spec because, and I'm not kidding, he got better results on the damage charts in WZs compared to pure Inf or pure Balance which meant, to his addled mind, that it was the best PvE DPS spec). PvPers that come into PvE have no clue what they're doing and assume that whatever it is that they are doing is *entirely* appropriate, even if it's getting the group killed or pissing off everyone else.

this. the people i have most problems with when tanking...or healing...are 1) unteachable snobs who think they play better than everyone else, and 2) PVPers who can't PVE to save their skins. if PVP requires more "skill" than PVE, then why do you cause us to wipe on fights that should be very simple? -_- you thought the shadow hybrid was bad? you weren't in the party with the "tank and heals dual spec" sage (yes, that's what they called it) my guardian tanked for once. and yes, they were the healer. and i do believe they only had two heals. it really didn't help they they were wearing recruit gear and were getting two-shotted here and there. i tried to be helpful and teach them what to do, but there was absolutely no way we could have beat the BoI final boss with such a fragile healer who wasn't really a healer.

I have a gaurdian tank I do HM fp and ops with every now and then, but tbh i feel like its getting more and more dull. Not as much as my healer mind you, but still very repetitive and predictable. Every fight the mechanics are the same, every flashpoint works the same way. You do the Malgus fight once its not going to be different the next time you do it.

I used to have two tanks (pt and the gaurdian) but the powertech is now a pyrotech and I'm working towards full war hero on him. Pvp is a lot more fun than pve. You never know what to expect in a match, and fighting against another thinking player instead of a programmed npc is more challenging (and fun) than simply remembering mechanics that never change.

Edited by DrewFromPhilly

I have a gaurdian tank I do HM fp and ops with every now and then, but tbh i feel like its getting more and more dull. Not as much as my healer mind you, but still very repetitive and predictable. Every fight the mechanics are the same, every flashpoint works the same way. You do the Malgus fight once its not going to be different the next time you do it.

I used to have two tanks (pt and the gaurdian) but the powertech is now a pyrotech and I'm working towards full war hero on him. Pvp is a lot more fun than pve. You never know what to expect in a match, and fighting against another thinking player instead of a programmed npc is more challenging (and fun) than simply remembering mechanics that never change.

that's all debatable because technically, wzs are all the same too. each hutt ball match has the same rules, everyone pretty much has the same plan in Civil War, etc. and to be fair, there's a whole lot more FPs than there are wz maps. i, personally, find pvp to be very repetitive, especially considering that obtaining end game pvp gear is a lot more of a grind than obtaining end game pve gear is. at least it feels that way to me.

From what I've heard, tanks are just disappearing, and oddly, healers are populating quickly.

I'm a tank (always have been, even if I didn't want to at first), so I don't see the problem on my part. Are twy all leveling alts like i did? (My operative is a proud rakata/columi DPS now) did they quit?

We miss you tanks! Please come home!

Most of the guys including myself that used to tank for our guilds ended up stopping either PvE or PvP, Most quit PvE...Maintaining two full gear sets gets old...I stopped at Mostly Columi/Rakata on my tank set for PvE and just PvP DPS now.....I dont like the "PvP only stat" concept because it destroys the chance for Working folk to play both aspects of the game....If I could actually "Tank" in PvP and then go run a raid on Friday or Saturday in the same gear Id probably still be tanking....But that will never happen due to the current course of MMO design.

I've been running Flashpoints through the Group Finder for the past few days. I think I have run maybe 8 or 9 since I have been back. Tanks on Ebon Hawk are in such high demand that I usually end up having at least 1 person per group add me to their friends list per run. I am already at the point that each time I log in I usually get tells from people to tank for them. I am not very well geared (mostly MK-2 Recruit armor) but even after 3 days of running FPs I usually only PUG 1-2 group members beacuse I get direct tells from others that I have run with recently.

I think most tanks end up going about the same way. Once people see a competent tank, they generally want to group with them again. After a few weeks I dont think I will have to PUG at all and will likely have found a guild by then anyhow.