Clone Wars S05E19 - To Catch A Jedi

BradTheImpaler

What a fantastic episode, but I can't help the feeling that something will happen and Ahsoka will be not-guilty and it'll be a happy ending. That, of course isn't a bad thing but it doesn't make for an interesting story.

If she's found guilty things could become darker, like Anakin saving her (thus betraying the Jedi and the Republic) but that would seem.. odd. Either way, I can't wait for the next episode.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

now i wonder, how many more seasons are they gonna go with the CW before they end it? I am really enjoying this story arc. what i mean by ending it im talking about the CW as a whole, not this story arc. Edited by Jorelle

While all of you are arguing about it being Bariss or Vosa or someone else. I've been thinking.....

Aurra Sing. Calling it right now :D

Used to be a Jedi, hates the Jedi, pretty sure Ahsoka and her shared a fight or two. She did go to prison after the Padme assassination attempts though, still I think its a complete plot twist and its Aurra Sing. Then again I could be wrong and it actually is Bariss or Komari.

Honestly when we only saw the legs of the villain attacking Ventress I thought it was maul, and then anakin, then maul again, then it looked girlish, then sidious, then the episode and I just started speculating.

While all of you are arguing about it being Bariss or Vosa or someone else. I've been thinking.....

Used to be a Jedi, hates the Jedi, pretty sure Ahsoka and her shared a fight or two. She did go to prison after the Padme assassination attempts though, still I think its a complete plot twist and its Aurra Sing. Then again I could be wrong and it actually is Bariss or Komari.

Honestly when we only saw the legs of the villain attacking Ventress I thought it was maul, and then anakin, then maul again, then it looked girlish, then sidious, then the episode and I just started speculating.

That would be a cool twist, but i am pretty sure it will be the straight forward at this point: Barriss Ofee and Ahsoka is found not guilty.

I think you might be onto something, I didn't know Sing used to be a Jedi so I looked her up on Wookieepedia and look what it says:

Aurra Sing was a deadly bounty hunter and Jedi killer who slew several Jedi throughout her career, including the highly skilled Sharad Hett. She was skilled in the use of telekinesis which she used to hurl rocks at Hett before killing him. Sing was also a highly skilled lightsaber duelist, both with a single lightsaber and dual blades.

So were talking about a bounty hunter who hates Jedi, who is skilled at telkinesis and can duel wield - well. This 'Jedi' we see the TCW clearly has a grudge against the Jedi, took Asajj Ventress out using telkinesis and defeated Ashoka using dual wielding lightsabers. Hint much?

She's also already made an appearance in TCW, and may very well have a personal grudge against Ashoka. She's also not actually in prison at this time, her last timeline appearance (according to Wookieepedia) was the Senate Hostage Crisis which she did not get captured in.

I, for one, am placing my bets on Aurra Sing. I reckon she was anomalously hired by Sidious or Tarkin (on behalf of Sidious) to conduct the whole plot and have Ashoka framed for it as part of Sidious' plan to get the Jedi to denounce and possibly execute/exile Ashoka - leading to further mistrust between him and the Council and a closer relationship with Sidious. And also remove her as a threat to his overall scheme to turn Anakin to the darkside and make him his apprentice.

Or, Sing is working alone and Ashoka happened to get in the way, but I somehow doubt that as Ashoka doesn't really have any information that could expose Sing (she isn't a Jedi) or foil her plan which has already be completed. I think the plot is a lot bigger than that.

Still leaves the question of Bariss though, alot of suspicious stuff points to her somehow being involved. And Letta had some sort of name for Ashoka so she must have seen some sort of Jedi. But then again, how would Letta know the name of the Jedi she was conspiring with anyway?

Good call by the way.

That would be a cool twist, but i am pretty sure it will be the straight forward at this point: Barriss Ofee and Ahsoka is found not guilty.
Barriss Offee would actually be quite complex, it raises several major problems:

• What are Barriss' motives? There are only very subtle hints that she is opposed to the war. What's more she's a Padawan and hasn't quite developed that sort of independence, she's far more likely to just go along with what her master says rather than actively attempt to attack her own Order. Whom I'm sure she has no hatred for.

• What could she possibly achieve? What exactly does attacking the Jedi temple achieve for Offee? Its not going to put an end to the war, all she did was kill a few mechanics and cause distrust in the Temple - nothing else has changed. Only Sidious or someone with a personal grudge against Jedi/Ashoka, or someone in it for the credits, could possibly benefit from this.

• Why frame Ashoka? Ashoka doesn't know anything, only that a Jedi is somehow involved, maybe they could trace it back to Offee but is Barriss really prepared to frame her own friend? Knowing it could well end with her death?

• Barriss' abilites have rapidly increased to significantly surpass Ashoka's, and suddenly she is an excellent duel wielder. Of course she could have improved but Ashoka has visibly improved too, and arguably has a better master. What's more Barriss was trained by Unduli in Soresu, not the aggresive attack form she displayed here. Which means she must have another tutor...

It being Aura Sing seems far more likely, but I'm not eliminating the possiblity of Barriss entirely, however Barriss has no motive and arguably no means. Whereas Sing has motive, means and opportunity.

It annoys me when people think the creators of Star Wars have this blaise attitude to just about everything, and just because they can, they will. Have you ever heard of the Holocron Continuity Database? Lucas and others are clearly concerned about making sure the Star Wars universe runs as smoothly as possible and doesn't have any contradictions. If Bariss suddenly got buffed for no reason, that would be a contradiction - the writers don't want that. If I were writing Star Wars I wouldn't want there to be glaring contradictions. And I wouldn't just say 'whatever, the fans can't do anything, who cares'. Funnily enough they actually care about Star Wars and aren't just in it for the money.

But that's not to say it can't happen, there are several ways they could explain Offee becoming suddenly more powerful - e.g. turned to the dark side/'helped' by Sidious.

Off course i heard about continuity. It doesnt matter. If they feel they should change it slightly because it represents a better view of what should be the continuity, and it favors the dramatic plot they change it, or more like it they simply add to it. They done it before even lucas did it before. without realy changing nothing major. Not to mention The clone wars overrule any novel or comic arround as canon is concerned.

I dont get what the fuss is all about its NOT a radical change in the first place. she didnt become insanely powerfull from what we can gather. Its more then possible acording to the circustances.

NOt to mention everything in the show indicates it can be very well her. whataver you think she can or not do it. If the next episode it happens to be barris then cleary she can do it. Characters evolve are add to it. They dont realy need to change canon for that to happen.

Its not a contradiction for a character to evolve.

That said it can very well NOt be her. The only thing im saying is acording to the show and the show alone it indicates its her. If you take in consideration the other canon, then it becomes even less possible. BUt the other canon isnt that important in comparissom. so i realy dont see being barris an impossibility.

It could be aura sing. Though but from what we know in the show she was never intruduced as a former jedi. Much less using the force.

Besides isnt she in prison?

I think the breasts standing out ruled being maul or Anakin. :rolleyes:

now i wonder, how many more seasons are they gonna go with the CW before they end it? I am really enjoying this story arc. what i mean by ending it im talking about the CW as a whole, not this story arc.

Initialy it was to be only 5 seasons. But i think it might be a sixth one.

Edited by Spartanik

Off course i heard about continuity. It doesnt matter. If they feel they should change it slightly because it represents a better view of what should be the continuity, and it favors the dramatic plot they change it, or more like it they simply add to it. They done it before even lucas did it before. without realy changing nothing major. Not to mention The clone wars overrule any novel or comic arround as canon is concerned.

I dont get what the fuss is all about its NOT a radical change in the first place. she didnt become insanely powerfull from what we can gather. Its more then possible acording to the circustances.

NOt to mention everything in the show indicates it can be very well her. whataver you think she can or not do it. If the next episode it happens to be barris then cleary she can do it. Characters evolve are add to it. They dont realy need to change canon for that to happen.

Its not a contradiction for a character to evolve.

That said it can very well NOt be her. The only thing im saying is acording to the show and the show alone it indicates its her. If you take in consideration the other canon, then it becomes even less possible. BUt the other canon isnt that important in comparissom. so i realy dont see being barris an impossibility.

I was more arguing against the assumption that people seem to make that the writers can do and will do whatever the hell they want and for some reason don't care about what their audience thinks. It could well be Barriss, but if it is they have to explain how her abilities suddenly drastically improved - which can be done. If they did not that would contradict what we have seen in other episodes, and would be poor storytelling. And if the Star Wars franchise prides itself on anything, its good storytelling.

However concerning lightsaber abilities, I really can't see her becoming that skilled. Yes characters evolve but surely Ashoka evolves too? And Ashoka was an exceptionally skilled for a Padawan, so really at this stage they should be at least equally matched, if not Ashoka being superior. Except this 'Jedi' is clearly grossly superior to Ashoka, who handily defeated her. I don't believe Barriss is capable of that. Lets also remember that Barriss was trained by Unduli in single-wielding Soresu, a defensive lightsaber form, not this dual-wielding aggressive form we see here. So if it is Offee she must have been trained by another, which complicates this further. What's more Offee has no motive.

It could be aura sing. Though but from what we know in the show she was never intruduced as a former jedi. Much less using the force.

Besides isnt she in prison?

Sing isn't in prison, see by above post. And you make a good point, while it is canon that Sing can wield lightsabers and use the Force this hasn't been displayed in the show so might confuse the audience. Still it could be explained pretty easily, e.g. a conversation with the Council concerning Sing's past history as a Padawan etc.

What's more important is that Sing has played a major role in several episodes, and has an ongoing story in the Clone Wars - a story the writers might want to continue.

EDIT: Concerning the hints at it being Offee, that could be the writers trying to throw the audience of the trail - a red herring if you will. So the big reveal that it's (possibly) Aurra Sing will come as a big shock to the audience rather than an anti-climatic, well duh!

Edited by Beniboybling

And if the Star Wars franchise prides itself on anything, its good storytelling.
debatable. I would say it has its moments no doubt.

while it prides it self for it. Not always is done nicely.

Im certain Ashoka cought her and she was arrested during the assassination atempt of padmé on nabboo.

Im also under the impression it was well after the senate hostage situation with cad bane.

Edited by Spartanik

Could be Aurra Sing, but I doubt it, not the right height, the dark jedi is at Ahsoka's heigth, not to mention Aurra's hair and antenna would make wearing the hooded robe difficult
Ack, that is true... however believe it or not according to Wookieepedia (with sources) Ashoka and Sing are roughly the same height - around 1.7 meters tall, and hair can be cut and antenna retracted. Looking at the fight again the gear the 'Jedi' is wearing is not the same as Barriss wears (minus hood and dress) as I first suspected. Not that that means much. Also this 'Jedi' has no lightsabers until she takes Ventress, Offee kept her lightsaber on her belt. And also, how did Barriss now about Ventress? She must have someone else on the inside, perhaps a clone or something...

However what I did notice is this 'Jedi' is extremely fast, agile and flexible. Those are Mirialan traits and as we know, Unduli was extremely proficient in using them - Barriss was also known for being skilled in acrobatics. And Barriss is the same height as Ashoka.

I'm starting to draw away from the likelihood of Sing and move closer to Barriss... but I reckon if it is her Offee has turned to the dark side and is a lot more crafty and cunning than we originally thought her to be. Still, it doesn't quite match up... Barriss looked guilty in anything in the first installment of this arc, yet this 'Jedi' seems anything but remorseful. And Barriss is known for being peaceable, loyal and selfless - watch she is doing is none of those things.

Im certain Ashoka cought her and she was arrested during the assassination atempt of padmé on nabboo.

Im also under the impression it was well after the senate hostage situation with cad bane.

*shrug* Wookieepedia places events in a different order and TCW mixes the order up alot in the series. And if she was in prison, maybe Sidious helped her escape? And then gave her the job?

*shrug* Wookieepedia places events in a different order and TCW mixes the order up alot in the series. And if she was in prison, maybe Sidious helped her escape? And then gave her the job?

Im aware of that still. wouldnt it mean that nothing will happen to ashoka after all?

Im aware of that still. wouldnt it mean that nothing will happen to ashoka after all?
What do you mean? That the job was just the attack on the Jedi Temple? I think it went a lot further than that, I think Sidious planned to frame Ashoka for it and force the Jedi Council to have her executed or exiled.

There is a danger yes that the show will return to status quo after this arch was over

Pity, I was hoping this would lead to serious changes

But we haven't seen the end yet, until then I'm crossing my fingers and hoping for big things to happen

There is a danger yes that the show will return to status quo after this arch was over

Pity, I was hoping this would lead to serious changes

But we haven't seen the end yet, until then I'm crossing my fingers and hoping for big things to happen

Don't call it too soon. And even if not now, something bad will happen to Ashoka soon. I mean think about it, Ashoka is not present by the time of Revenge of the Sith, and Ashoka poses an obstacle for Sidious in his plans to turn Anakin to the dark side. Sidious would also see the benefits of having something happen to Ashoka to make Anakin more angry, emotional etc. and easier to turn. Basically, its in Sidious' interests to kill Ashoka. And Sidious rarely fails.

And going back to the status quo is becoming increasingly difficult. Tarkin is opposed to her, tensions are building between her and the Council, she's be seen with Ventress, she's become recognised as a wanted criminal all over Coruscant, and a rift is opening up between her and Anakin. Even if Ashoka proves her innocence, nothing will be the same again.

I also recall Filoni saying that this will be a major turning point in Ashoka's life. I don't think she's going to die, but her life will change irrevocably. I reckon this episode will end with Ashoka's exile, and then she will go to Lux Bonteri - lots of lovey dovey stuff and then who knows... maybe an alliance with Ventress?

Just seen the episode 20 preview...

Told you it was a courthouse beni :p

Looks like Ashoka gets trialed by the Jedi, then the court, maybe the military decided the Jedi ruling was biased... Can't wait for the new episode :(

The wait is too long!

I think I'm gonna bet aura sing, she has motives, she hates Ashoka with a passion...

I'm happy I sparked the idea of Aurra Sing into many people's minds.

But yeah there is the problem of hair and antenna, which I guess could be cut and what not, but I think it would lead to a whole flashback scene to Aurra Sing about her life, like we got with Ventress in the Nightsisters Arc. And then they will end her character by putting her in jail, or (retcon) kill her.

I sort of have a feeling that the writers want to make it easy for themselves and just put a flashback scene for Bariss, and end a character that they created, I'm also surprised at the lack of Luminara Undili we are getting, she is Bariss' master right? Then again it could be anyone, or a new character, or some terrorist organization, or whoever the main female role of 1313 :D (if there is one.) ANYONE COULD BE IT.

But if it is Aurra I'm just gonna be like "CALLED IT CALLED IT CALLED IT." the entire episode shouting at my T.V. :D

Hope we get some more theories here, since it's basically just Aurra/Bariss/Ventress's Lightsaber Owner Lady/Random Character.

I watched the fight between Asoka and the mystery jedi several times and the mystery jedi is not Aurra Sing. Aurra Sing has very long fingers (twice as long as a normal human) and when the mystery jedi uses the force to make noise to distract Asoka you can see that he/she has normal length fingers, not the long ones of Sing. I'm leaning towards Barris as the culprit and think she even might be the apprentice of Palpatine himself....either him or Dooku.

Another thing that comes to mind is, if it is Barras, then this becomes a foreshadowing of the events in Episode 3 where 2 good friends become enemies due to one of them turning to the dark side of the force.

This is just a thought and I could be totally off base. No matter how it turns out, the finale of this season is going to be a good one....too bad I can see it till Sunday night as I'm out of town next weekend for a Warhammer 40k tourney.

Edited by UndyingImhotep

Its gotta be Barriss

More like it cannot be Barriss. That's about as likely as her being the one who removed data on Kamino from the Jedi Archives.

Seriously, check out the EU stuff on Barriss, which is canon acknowledged in the movies (mentioned by Mace Windu in Episode 2 specifically) before you make absurd judgements of her character.

More like it cannot be Barriss. That's about as likely as her being the one who removed data on Kamino from the Jedi Archives.

Seriously, check out the EU stuff on Barriss, which is canon acknowledged in the movies (mentioned by Mace Windu in Episode 2 specifically) before you make absurd judgements of her character.

Clone Wars overwrites EU all the time, and the pre-Clone Wars EU won't be affected. It didn't say the attacker was a dark side user, just that they were against the war, which Barriss very well could be (of course, that would overwrite some of my favorite EU novels, the MedStar duology).