[VIDEO] Obscure Vanguard Build 21|2|18

SOULCASTER

I've recently started getting into FRAPSing some warzones and making some videos. So here is a rough-start video of me switching back to an old build I haven't ran in a while. Basically got sick of using x|x|31 Assault builds for rateds, so I wanted to go back to playing something i really enjoy. Which is this 21|2|18 build.

I use plasma cell with it, and a shield generator. The gear isn't optimized, yet, because I stopped playing this build a while back. So I'm trying to re-acquire optimized gear for it. Its basically the old "Carolina Parakeet" Build, only in reverse. Instead of using Ion-Cell, you use Plasma. The amount of people that probably use this spec is likely in the single digits, in the entire game. BUT, it is really fun =)

Since, while similar, it still is a slightly different build than the Carolina parakeet. I refer to it by a new name in guild. The "Glaucomys Volans" Build (meaning: Flying-Squirrel). :D It gets quite a few lulz every time I mention or play it.

When I get the gear optimized and can get some more impressive numbers. I'll post some more videos.

But here is a vanguard build for a change of pace, for those of you bored with assault :)

Personal best with this build so far:

http://weaponsofwarguild.enjin.com/gallery/m/5960616/detail/70371#pid=1123740

The Flying-Squirrel Build:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#801GMbrdMboZ0MZfhbbdh.2

Edited by SOULCASTER

This build is the ABSOLUTE BEST for huttball matches. The 3sec harpoon and stealth-scan root rape people in acid and fire pits, without having to even use your stuns. Couple that with the ability to storm to people while using plasma cell (SUPER unsuspecting) makes it really reallly fun for huttball. :D

This build is the ABSOLUTE BEST for huttball matches. The 3sec harpoon and stealth-scan root rape people in acid and fire pits, without having to even use your stuns. Couple that with the ability to storm to people while using plasma cell (SUPER unsuspecting) makes it really reallly fun for huttball. :D

I'd probably prefer full tactics or a hybrid tactics with ion cell and tank gear on for huttball. Your not doing that much damage in that spec, and it's all steady, not really much burst. You're running a shield generator in plasma cell so you're not actually getting the bonus absorb, just the base 5% shield. This comes at a loss of ~224 tech power which is hardly worth the tradeoff.

Edited by Wookieenator

The 20%ish shield chance is just for procing the energy cells and stock strike resets. I'm not too worried about actually using it for defense, hence the 25%ish absorption. Like a full tank whos guarding would.

You wouldn't use a power-generator with this build, doing so would make this build even less worthwhile.

That said, I do play ALL possible vanguard builds (except full 31pt left tree tank). Typically do this build and tactics builds for pugs, and assault for rateds. Of the buidls I switch between however, this is by far the most fun (for me anyway).

Edited by SOULCASTER

UPDATED THE ORIGINAL POST

Recent Screenshot from a Voidstar today. I'm JINXER. 554k DPS

http://weaponsofwarguild.enjin.com/gallery/m/5960616/detail/70371#pid=1123740

(In the top right corner of the pic, click on FULL SIZE)

Bought some War-Hero gear to replace the 2 Battlemaster pieces I was using in that original video I linked. It works much better now. Going to work on tweaking it some more. Then I'll probably move on to the next build :)

Edited by SOULCASTER

Build looks nice, vid too!

Personally im running with a similar build for some time, a shield/tactics combination, rather than your shield/assault.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#801hRGbdRboZMsrrobZb.2

I prefer this one because of the utility, but mainly because it enables you to use ion cell, which is a great help -> guard and 15% extra shield chance, 5% less dmg taken. Also, your stockstrike (which CD gets reset with absorbing an attack, just as in your build) now puts a dot on the target, very convenient for HiB.

I have approx 23% shield and 20% absorb with only a shield generator, rest full DPS gear (combat tech ofc).

My damage cant yet get over 600 dps, so it isnt that great, but im not minmaxed yet and i can get really high protection, kept up by a good healer I can practically perform as a full tank while doing good damage.

Edited by Armadyil

Build looks nice, vid too!

Personally im running with a similar build for some time, a shield/tactics combination, rather than your shield/assault.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#801hRGbdRboZMsrrobZb.2

YUP! I've run that build before for tanking.

I found I prefer this one though:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#801GoMrbZMsrrobfkd.2

It is great for always being able to stay next to and guard healers or team mates. As well as an exceptional ball carrier for huttball. Its the top 2pt box that really makes it tanky in ion-cell too.

Thanks for putting this up, will likely give it a try. I played tactics and assault but got bored with them and shelved my toon.

I miss playing VG shield hybrids, they were loads of fun, especially with Storm. I imagine these days a leaping VG is likely to be called a hack due to the rarity of people speccing it. :rak_03:

Similar to a build I had been eyeing once 2.0 hits. It's all theory-crafting though as I never managed to get on PTS. The extra points, and some talents moved around, mean you can pick up 3/3 Focused Impact, 2/2 Power Armor. The latter plus Ion Shield and Static Field should be a ~9% damage reduction for all damage types, while keeping the hard hitting HiB, AoE Plasma Cell proc, and Storm.

The main fault I see (I'm sure there are many!) is that as the trees are now 'higher' you miss out on more top/high tier abilities with this frankenhybrid, and I'm not sure how much that affects the end result. I guess we'll see mid April!

PTS build - Link

This build trades Pyro burst for a nicer rocket punch, and alittle bit of survivability from the shield. Personally I would take the free flame sweeps over the HiB armor pen, just seems more fitting for a spec that goes flying into a group in the 1st place. And if your still planning on using this spec come 2.0 it just gets buffed

You probably would have gotten more damage in that VS if you were full pyro tbh

This build trades Pyro burst for a nicer rocket punch, and alittle bit of survivability from the shield. Personally I would take the free flame sweeps over the HiB armor pen, just seems more fitting for a spec that goes flying into a group in the 1st place. And if your still planning on using this spec come 2.0 it just gets buffed

You probably would have gotten more damage in that VS if you were full pyro tbh

All good points! And yes ABSOLUTELY a full pyro/assault PT/vanguard would have put up more dps. Though if you don't have a pocket or good healer, the flying-squirrel build has more survivability. But yes of course pyro/assault has more dps potential. No disputing that.

Thanks for the feedback guys!

All good points! And yes ABSOLUTELY a full pyro/assault PT/vanguard would have put up more dps. Though if you don't have a pocket or good healer, the flying-squirrel build has more survivability. But yes of course pyro/assault has more dps potential. No disputing that.

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Keep in mind unless you are gearing for it you only get 5% shield chance, so unless people are spamming auto attack u ain't shielding much

Keep in mind unless you are gearing for it you only get 5% shield chance, so unless people are spamming auto attack u ain't shielding much

Now that I have regeared myself since that original video, I'm at 20.5x% Shield chance and 29% Shield Absorbtion. Wich only changing to a War Hero Shield Generator, 1x Shield Relic and 1x Shield Ear-piece. The 554k damage screenshot in the original post is with the new war-hero re-gearing. There absolutely is a power loss from doing so, but it is whats required to really pull off the entire point to this build.

In the original video I posted, where Im using sub-par battle master gear, I think I still have over 15% shield chance.

Edited by SOULCASTER