Full TIme Job: How Are Some People Still Playing?

ScytheEleven

This is something developers and their cushy job will never understand. Nor will 90 percent of the player population in mmos today. Kids play mmos because they think its cool or because they want to be the popular one. For me a pc game is a way to keep my sanity amidst the constant unending stress added to my life by work and other things. This is also why I get so pissed off when a company like EA conspires to shut down one game, swg, and then release a crap game like swtor. Thats what a game is to me its my little way of keeping it together. So I always try to find sometime to play the game.

This is also another reason why mmos need substance over that of just raiding and pvp. Some people just do not have the time, and if thats all your offering, then there is no real reason for them to play your game. I get my post is a little off topic but I think it sums it up.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the military. PT at 7 in the morning, work all day until 5. Come home and play until my wife finishes making dinner. Eat with her and the kids, then play with the kids and watch tv until they go to bed. Play for an hour or two. Repeat. Then on the weekends we hang out with friends during the day, and I play a little before bed. Been playing a little more lately though, I just moved to a new base and I'm on leave for another week or so. It's not too hard pay for a sub, play daily, have a family, and still stay healthy and in shape. You just gotta manage your time. I, like a lot of other people I've talked to, use video games to unwind and detach from stress at work.

For 7 straight days I leave my house at 4am and return home around 7pm. When I get home I interact with my wife and kids until the kids go to be around 8:30pm. I usually log on then to see what's up and run a couple of crew skill missions ... After working 7 straight days I have 7 straight days off from work. Game On! My schedule is a problem when trying to join a raiding guild, as I can usually only raid 50% of the time ...

I'm a single woman and I'm fairly young at 24, I don't have kids and I work full-time. I play swtor a lot now.

I work 40 hours a week, but here's the kicker, I only work 4 10 hour shifts so I get three days off and after work some nights too. I'm completely content.

I am self employed. The nature of my work means i dont have set hours, so i just while away the hours between on SWTOR. No wife or kids.

:)

Same, as far playing goes but I'm retired ..

Edited by tanktest

As others have said, I have also found it to be much easier to find time for gaming post-university. At uni, especially at a high level of study, there is always something else you are supposed to be doing. Your thesis never…goes…away. Even if you manage to find some time for gaming (or anything else), it’s hard to indulge without feeling guilty and this really detracts from the experience anyway. You end up giving up and going back to work, having not even enjoyed yourself in the interim.

Now that I’m working a standard job, work stays at work and my time outside of it feels like my own again. I play for around 30 hours a week now, and still have time to study part-time, volunteer, and (on occasion) service my social life.

Oh, and having a husband/wife also playing the game definitely helps! :)

Up at 7am, get ready, leave for work about 7:50 - 8am.

30 min travel time, get to work 8:30, get the branch ready to open for 9:30.

Work till 4:30 and close the doors.

Get home for 5:30 - 6:00pm depending on how much I had to do when we closed the branch.

Eat whatever's been kindly left out for me and GAME my heart out till about 9:30 - 10pm before I go wind down for an hour of TV in bed then sleep.

Thats my monday to friday.

Saturday/Sunday its game all day after errands have been done.

Edited by Alundo

I bug my wife till she tells to go play! I work full time and only sleep four hours a day usually.

hehe, LOL. As many people here, after work from 20.00 h until... I fall asleep and during weekends a lot. But, of course, during workdays you don't get to play all days (beers with friends, sport, etc.) and some weekends the weather is just too nice (Spain...) to be wholly spent inside the computer-room ("the cave") of my house!

Well I have kids, a wife (who also plays) and a full time managerial job in the medical sector which keeps me very busy, and I still have plenty of time to play.

Our kids usually go to bed around 7 to 8pm to after that, my time is my own. I have plenty of free time on the weekends but of course there are days where I won't come on at all if we are doing something as a family, driving to the coast for a day out etc, real life comes first, and my family does always!

I have played like this since I started in early February this year, and I have 2x fully geared 55's, a 42 a 30 and several lowbies, and my wife has a character line up in a very similar fashion.

I think it is how you use your available time, and having a good guild behind you always helps when it comes to using that time to runs Ops etc.

I guess I got it kind of easy... Teaching high school and coaching basketball. Up at 6am, work 6:45 til 1:45, coach from either 3-5 or 5-7, cook dinner and then I get to unwind. 2-3 hours to myself to either watch some sports or play some SWTOR.

I work 40 hours a week I still have plenty of time to play.

- A set work schedule, i.e. I work the same hours every week.

- No "homework"

- No Kids

- A boyfriend who is also a gamer

Some weeks pretty much all I play is raid nights some weeks I play every day it just depends on what's going on in my life. It's a hobby that's not any different then if you were on a sports team (like soft ball or being on a pool/dart team or whatever) in terms of time commitment. There are plenty of non gamers, with kids even, that manage to make time in their lives for such activities. At lest this one I can enjoy from the comfort of my own home. It's all about managing your time.

Edited by Ilayas

Work 40-50 hours a week but will sit down in evening to relax to some games. Unless it's nice out and I tow car out to drag strip for some racing.

Well decided that I no longer liked the in laws free time now :D

That made me laugh :)

Edited by Vyerix

Active Duty Marine.

-Got at least 3-4 hours daily when I am off. Regardless of what I'm doing I will set aside one to two hours to play.

-Most of the hours in my weekends off.

-I spend time with my wifey while playing the game, have her on the game as well. :)

No kids... yet. But will somehow manage time effectively.

I work full time but tend to do longer hours at the start of the week due to work deadlines so I usually have a 3 day weekend so Monday-Wed I am rarely ingame at all, very quick log on Thursday and then play/chill out Fri-Sun.

I am Deputy leader of a large guild but it works for me due to the guild set up where many players are involved with content.

Ie Leader, Deputy leader (me), senate of senior members, Ops leaders in each game we are in, Officers in each game/faction we are in.

The way we work is Ops Sun/Tue and Thur nights (same op on both factions on same night) and our Ops leaders run these leaving me nothing to do in this regard. Members also post things they wish to do on non ops nights on our website so members arrange own content and they always have others sign up for their events also and I take charge of planetry datacron runs each Friday night for members and in most cases we run both factions together on same cron run.

So the workload is shared by many so its quite easy for me not to have to log on 24/7 and still enjoy life outside gaming though I do play a lot on weekends.

We have been going as a guild for 8 years now, having started in 2005 so it works :D

I do sometimes envy those who play a lot during the week but the way the economy is at the moment I will never ever moan about having a job plus it pays for my subs and if needed a few cartel coins.

PS being single and not having a wife nag at me for playing helps :cool:

Edited by Ziso