To the Anonymous Insider

Daethorz

“EA blames us and to some extent they’re right to. But it was fan feedback from the day we opened the forums that encouraged us to design it for the fans the way it is and that included making it more like Kotor then an MMO like Wow,” he stated mentioning that gamers actually wanted SWTOR to be more like Knights of the Old Republic (KOTOR), a single player role playing game by Bioware before it was acquired by EA, rather than World of Warcraft (WoW).

-http://blogs.bettor.com/Anonymous-Bioware-Insider-blames-fans-for-SWTOR-Video-Games-Update-a173317

From this post it makes it sound like Bioware turned the ship around and constructed this game to be more like KOTOR, when I see almost none of the perks from KOTOR that we want.

Kotor had many mini-games, not only that but KOTOR had more of a lone-wolf feeling, a Capital always takes away the lone wolf feeling in a mmo because there are hundreds to thousands of people there sitting around.

Things I and Many Other People Want that Correlates with KOTOR:

1. Swoop Racing, (MMO Style, Upgrades, gear tiers, new tracks, etc)
  2. Pazzak
  3. Amusing Mini-Games that take up time in general, we want to take a back road instead of staying on the main road where all we have to do is Operations, Warzones and Flashpoints, and Everyone's Favorite, The Endless daily grind!

I Simply no-longer understand MMO Companys, in the early days WoW Employees would sit in a circle and come up with cool ideas, does anyone do this anymore? or is a large list of things handed down from One person at the top who doesn't even play the game.

With Multiple different minigames NOT located on the Fleet, we would have more of a reason to go around to different planets, go to Nar Shadda to go gambling, Go to Tatooine to go to the universes biggest and most famous swoop tracks. The point is the engame of swtor has turned into a COPY of world of warcraft, so if anyone to blame, its the people who come up with the content plans for SWTOR, because they have ignored the things people actually WANTED from kotor.

Another thing that has boggled me, is how ship "gear" is, sure you can upgrade your ship, but there's almost no incentive to, there's no engame, there's nothing new, it dosent make your ship look better. If I'm not mistaken one of the largest fun factors of gearing up, is the new-upgraded look, and I really hope swoop racing wouldn't or won't follow the same guideline as it would cut the amusement factor like a knife.

Edited by Daethorz

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...he stated mentioning that gamers actually wanted SWTOR to be more like Knights of the Old Republic

Here`s the thing.. he THINKS that gamers wanted... just like Bioware did. 7 months later, when story can`t maintain a healthy population and their subs are going South.. they are beginning to sober up.

You see.. people actually wanted a "real MMO", not KoToR with a sub, because, at the end of the day, a MMO can only be a MMO and can only break so many rules...

Edited by Styxx

Here`s the thing.. he THINKS that gamers wanted... just like Bioware did. 7 months later, when story can`t maintain a healthy population and their subs are going South.. they are beginning to sober up.

You see.. people actually wanted a "real MMO", not KoToR with a sub, because, at the end of the day, a MMO can only be a MMO and can only break so many rules...

People are mistaking a MMO for a WoW.

I want a new MMO bioware not a new WoW.

That's exactly what this game has become, Space WoW with Space Battles, it dosen't even really have a starwars feel to it because of how similar their engames are.

And untill someone in bioware figures out the people don't want a Exact Copy of WoW, they will continue going downhill. Makeb @ EA Content is just more of the same old, itll burn out just as fast as the current endgame did.

@ They should listen to me, a gamer, Who Knows what people want, even if they don't know what they want themselves, heck i plan on being a game designer someday, i just find it sad, like people standing in the fire.

Edited by Daethorz

That's exactly what this game has become, Space WoW with Space Battles, it dosen't even really have a starwars feel to it because of how similar their engames are.

And untill someone in bioware figures out the people don't want a Exact Copy of WoW, they will continue going downhill. Makeb @ EA Content is just more of the same old, itll burn out just as fast as the current endgame did.

@ They should listen to me, a gamer, Who Knows what people want, even if they don't know what they want themselves, heck i plan on being a game designer someday, i just find it sad, like people standing in the fire.

Why people feel that their opinion is held by the majority I'll never know. Just as a counterpoint to the above. I've played WoW since release, and SWTOR is definitely, in my opinion, not WoW in space. If it was my son would still be subscribed, my grandson would still be playing, and I wouldn't be considering cancelling my subscription.

I watched the Star Wars movies when they were released but would by no means classify myself as a Star Wars fan. I neven played KoTAR and until I came to this game I never even knew it existed. I've been playing on-line games and MMOs for 10 years. Including LoTRO, AION, Rift, WoW, TERA, etc. You would be surprised how many others there are like me.

If I were to guess, people like me are who BIO/EA was hoping to attract and retain, and it doesn't seem to be happening.

I don't want a single player, lone wolf game. I've enjoyed that part of the game, but now that I'm almost done with the story-lines I'll probably unsubscribe soon.

WoW has an enormous number of things to do outside of PvP and raiding. Events, some weekly some monthly some on special occasions. Achievements, pets to collect, Archaeology, and on and on. The world is interesting to explore and engaging. Even 8 years later I enjoy occasionally just logging in to WoW and flying around. Even with fewer people per sever if feels more populated to me.

Honestly, as much as I liked some of the story, I now space bar through everything except the class quests I haven't done yet. The could have spent some of that voice over money more productively elsewhere.

Edited by Erasimus

Why people feel that their opinion is held by the majority I'll never know. Just as a counterpoint to the above. I've played WoW since release, and SWTOR is definitely, in my opinion, not WoW in space. If it was my son would still be subscribed, my grandson would still be playing, and I wouldn't be considering cancelling my subscription.

I watched the Star Wars movies when they were released but would by no means classify myself as a Star Wars fan. I neven played KoTAR and until I came to this game I never even knew it existed. I've been playing on-line games and MMOs for 10 years. Including LoTRO, AION, Rift, WoW, TERA, etc. You would be surprised how many others there are like me.

If I were to guess, people like me are who BIO/EA was hoping to attract and retain, and it doesn't seem to be happening.

I don't want a single player, lone wolf game. I've enjoyed that part of the game, but now that I'm almost done with the story-lines I'll probably unsubscribe soon.

WoW has an enormous number of things to do outside of PvP and raiding. Events, some weekly some monthly some on special occasions. Achievements, pets to collect, Archaeology, and on and on. The world is interesting to explore and engaging. Even 8 years later I enjoy occasionally just logging in to WoW and flying around. Even with fewer people per sever if feels more populated to me.

This. Well said. IF BioWare tried to copy WoW, they did a poor job of it. It is in some ways better than WoW, but falls short in other ways. IF they had taken the best parts of WoW and then added what TOR has which is better, then TOR indeed would have been a much better game.

That's exactly what this <a class="inlineAdmedialink" href="#">game</a> has become, Space WoW with Space Battles, it dosen't even really have a starwars feel to it because of how similar their engames are.

See here's the main line problem with your line of reasoning. HOW don't you want the game to be like wow. You see I hear this all the time: "It didn't innovate enough blah blah blah." But people like you NEVER say exactly what it is you don't want and exactly what it is you want. It's always just vague nonsense never concrete details and until the community can start to give concrete and specific problems, and REASONS those individual things ARE problems, how can you expect BW to change anything?

Oh, and as far as this game being an exact copy of WoW? BS. As someone who played wow from launch through Cata, this game is MORE unlike WoW than every AAA mmo to release since WoW launched.

“EA blames us and to some extent they’re right to. But it was fan feedback from the day we opened the forums that encouraged us to design it for the fans the way it is and that included making it more like Kotor then an MMO like Wow,” he stated mentioning that gamers actually wanted SWTOR to be more like Knights of the Old Republic (KOTOR), a single player role playing game by Bioware before it was acquired by EA, rather than World of Warcraft (WoW).

-http://blogs.bettor.com/Anonymous-Bioware-Insider-blames-fans-for-SWTOR-Video-Games-Update-a173317

From this post it makes it sound like Bioware turned the ship around and constructed this game to be more like KOTOR, when I see almost none of the perks from KOTOR that we want.

Kotor had many mini-games, not only that but KOTOR had more of a lone-wolf feeling, a Capital always takes away the lone wolf feeling in a mmo because there are hundreds to thousands of people there sitting around.

Things I and Many Other People Want that Correlates with KOTOR:

1. Swoop Racing, (MMO Style, Upgrades, gear tiers, new tracks, etc)
  2. Pazzak
  3. Amusing Mini-Games that take up time in general, we want to take a back road instead of staying on the main road where all we have to do is Operations, Warzones and Flashpoints, and Everyone's Favorite, The Endless daily grind!

I Simply no-longer understand MMO Companys, in the early days WoW Employees would sit in a circle and come up with cool ideas, does anyone do this anymore? or is a large list of things handed down from One person at the top who doesn't even play the game.

With Multiple different minigames NOT located on the Fleet, we would have more of a reason to go around to different planets, go to Nar Shadda to go gambling, Go to Tatooine to go to the universes biggest and most famous swoop tracks. The point is the engame of swtor has turned into a COPY of world of warcraft, so if anyone to blame, its the people who come up with the content plans for SWTOR, because they have ignored the things people actually WANTED from kotor.

Another thing that has boggled me, is how ship "gear" is, sure you can upgrade your ship, but there's almost no incentive to, there's no engame, there's nothing new, it dosent make your ship look better. If I'm not mistaken one of the largest fun factors of gearing up, is the new-upgraded look, and I really hope swoop racing wouldn't or won't follow the same guideline as it would cut the amusement factor like a knife.

yea that announcment made me think this game really is dying, i mean the PTS forums and the Beta test forums were filled with all sorts of things BW ignored from bug reports to suggestions and then they blame what player base they have left for the state of the game.

mabey if they would fix bugs and add the things the player base wants we wouldnt be in this situation.

Never played WoW but iam a seven year vet of EQ2,and no i do not want to play a "Lone Wolf" game for a sub price,but i am also very very tired of raids for gear and the constant upgrade grind with that.

What i was hoping for and still wish for is adventure yah know in space and not some dungeon crawling like i have done for years,and chance encounters with opposite faction and being surprised for the PvP aspect.

Maybe some kool quests that require a group to travel on only one persons ship to a destination and while traveling there some Imperial ships attack and my group mates man the turrets.

Pod racing,open world PvP areas that are there for a limited time and reward those who fought there etc.

Hi, i currently work on the side for nasa. i would just like to inform you that in 1974 we were invited by aliens to a meeting in space, we had to build a space station as our atmosphere is deadly to them. All technological advances we have had since 1976 are a direct result of this alien race who i cannot name due to fear of my life so i cannot tell you my real name to prove who i am.

This is all soo true, honest im an insider.

Edited by Shingara

Hi, i currently work on the side for nasa. i would just like to inform you that in 1974 we were invited by aliens to a meeting in space, we had to build a space station as our atmosphere is deadly to them. All technological advances we have had since 1976 are a direct result of this alien race who i cannot name due to fear of my life.

ROFL! This is why the forums for this game can be more fun than playing the game. Thanks for the hearty chuckle. :D

Hi, i currently work on the side for nasa. i would just like to inform you that in 1974 we were invited by aliens to a meeting in space, we had to build a space station as our atmosphere is deadly to them. All technological advances we have had since 1976 are a direct result of this alien race who i cannot name due to fear of my life so i cannot tell you my real name to prove who i am.

Lol! Had to requote this again.

To give the so called "insider" any credibility requiring an answer is to miss the point altogether. It's like replying to a youtube comment: Might be fun... but it is of no relevance.

This. Well said. IF BioWare tried to copy WoW, they did a poor job of it. It is in some ways better than WoW, but falls short in other ways. IF they had taken the best parts of WoW and then added what TOR has which is better, then TOR indeed would have been a much better game.

If they'd taken the best bits of SWG (and not the bad bits), a dash of the best bits for WAR (RvR and PvP mechanics) and the best bits of SWTOR, then they'd have had a truely astounding game.

I knew Skylab was just a front!

If they'd taken the best bits of SWG (and not the bad bits), a dash of the best bits for WAR (RvR and PvP mechanics) and the best bits of SWTOR, then they'd have had a truely astounding game.

Never played SWG or WAR. But if they had added all the nice features of WoW and kept the nice features they have now for TOR, I know I would still be subbed. But this is all a bit like the old saying..." IF the dog had not stopped to take a crap, he would have caught the rabbit." :p

Never played SWG or WAR. But if they had added all the nice features of WoW and kept the nice features they have now for TOR, I know I would still be subbed. But this is all a bit like the old saying..." IF the dog had not stopped to take a crap, he would have caught the rabbit." :p

Yeah true.

However Bioware EA had people in it that worked on WAR, SWG (and KOTOR, of course). Just for some reason they didn't seem to use any SWG or WAR knowledge. :confused:

I was that Alien :rak_01:

Stranger things have happened :)

I've been here since march 2011, and seen some really cool things in beta that got changed because of the fanboy whining.

Beacuse of that whining, the stat system was dumbed down, the modding system was dumbed down, and people whining that they don't feel like they're progressing because nearly everything was moddable, we lost a ton of useful armor styles.

Because the wow pvp fanboy whining, we got expertise which ruined level 50 pvp.

Because of wow fanboy whining missing Dalaran, we got the fleet added late. Which killed planet traffic.

I'm not saying all BW did was bad, they did make some good changes. For the longest time they refused to link the taxi hubs, and you had to make one hop to the next. That's the only good change I can think of right now.

I predicted in the beta forums what was going to happen. They'd sell a ton of boxes/downloads, but they'd be merging servers 6 months after release. Contrary to what BW calls it, it was in effect a merger. The game wasn't ready for release, and still isn't.

The only reason I am still here is hope. I don't know how much longer I can hang on though.

I've been here since march 2011, and seen some really cool things in beta that got changed because of the fanboy whining.

Beacuse of that whining, the stat system was dumbed down, the modding system was dumbed down, and people whining that they don't feel like they're progressing because nearly everything was moddable, we lost a ton of useful armor styles.

Because the wow pvp fanboy whining, we got expertise which ruined level 50 pvp.

Because of wow fanboy whining missing Dalaran, we got the fleet added late. Which killed planet traffic.

I'm not saying all BW did was bad, they did make some good changes. For the longest time they refused to link the taxi hubs, and you had to make one hop to the next. That's the only good change I can think of right now.

I predicted in the beta forums what was going to happen. They'd sell a ton of boxes/downloads, but they'd be merging servers 6 months after release. Contrary to what BW calls it, it was in effect a merger. The game wasn't ready for release, and still isn't.

The only reason I am still here is hope. I don't know how much longer I can hang on though.

Remember when in beta you never had to change lightsabers because lightsabers were dealt with through the mod system? then people whined "WAAAAH weapon not progressing! wwaaaahhh" now we loot lightsabers all over the place, alot of them without any customisation at all :(

You are not an Insider. You're about to be neuralized. That's what you are. Bad Man in Black. Bad.

Nobody believed the insider when he gave point for point about the NGE before it was announced by SOE either. So yes. A precedent was set and could have a possibility of truth to it.

This is not a valid argument.

You should judge Bioware's insider by it's own likelihood of being true.

I have read it.

It is very, very, very unlikely to be true.

The SOE insider knew stuff no one knew.

In this case, the guy just says things everyone knows to be true (Cathar race for example) or just gives out generality about what being F2P would mean (coin store etc....)

Remember when in beta you never had to change lightsabers because lightsabers were dealt with through the mod system? then people whined "WAAAAH weapon not progressing! wwaaaahhh" now we loot lightsabers all over the place, alot of them without any customisation at all :(

Yep. You used to get a moddable saber at then end of every milestone in your class story. Not to mention, you could get a purple color crystal on Nar Shadaa for completing the bonus series.

Yep. You used to get a moddable saber at then end of every milestone in your class story. Not to mention, you could get a purple color crystal on Nar Shadaa for completing the bonus series.

Yeah. I miss that system. Honestly i wished they'd expanded more on the mod system when it came to weapons, you could customize the actual appearence of your weapons and have a unique style associated with your character, you know, like most jedi/sith. Even Blaster-users could get their own style, everyone remembers Han-Solo's iconic blaster pistol. Instead of the cookie-cutter weapon system they have now.

Edited by Feeblezak