FPS Problems

iTryHard

Hi, I just wanted to know if anyone had any solutions for FPS problems... My specs are-

Core 2 Quad Q8300

GTX 560Ti

4GB DDR2 RAM

I get ~20 fps in WZs on High, on Medium, and on Low. It's seriously hampering my fun, I could own face with my Sentinel... But the lag makes it unplayable as a melee class. Does anyone know of any solutions?

P.S. I am going to spend ~$500 in October on new parts, but don't really have much spare $ so can't really upgrade much... (IDK even how many people will be playing in October =[)

Thanks for those who are courteous enough to reply.

I'm not sure what to advise you - PvP in this game apparently requires minimum 4 Ghz CPU's. I did my research and this doesn't seem to be GPU (videocard) - related issue. Your card should be more than sufficient, and your CPU, while 4-year old, is quite above the minimum requirements (which, by the way, are a joke!).

I was astonished at the FPS drop in warzones. It's practically unplayable, even on 'Very Low' settings.

Hi, I just wanted to know if anyone had any solutions for FPS problems... My specs are-

Core 2 Quad Q8300

GTX 560Ti

4GB DDR2 RAM

I get ~20 fps in WZs on High, on Medium, and on Low. It's seriously hampering my fun, I could own face with my Sentinel... But the lag makes it unplayable as a melee class. Does anyone know of any solutions?

P.S. I am going to spend ~$500 in October on new parts, but don't really have much spare $ so can't really upgrade much... (IDK even how many people will be playing in October =[)

Your CPU is holding you back.

Depending on where you live, $500 will EASILY get you a third generation quad core Intel Ivy Bridge CPU, motherboard, 8+GB of ram, a high quality power supply, and probably an SSD if you want one, too.

Core 2 Quad Q8300

GTX 560Ti

4GB DDR2 RAM

What i would try is setting everything to highest settings log out then back in and then set shadows and bloom OFF everything else to low in windowed mode, log out then back in.

Your video card is good enough, the ram is very poor at todays standards. Check your mother board and see if you can upgrade to 1333 MHz DDR 3 your CPU can suport it this might require a BIOS flash for the mother board.(not for your average gamer you need some tec savey)

Make sure your power settings are set to performance, ( start, control panel, system and security, power options. click high performance, ok/apply) ? can your power supply handle that video card.

4gig of ram seems to be an issue in this game. The game starts writing more to the hdd which causes hitching and overall slowness. Not saying it's the cause of your problems but that's just the boat I'm in. Seems to be a crappy engine or coding they're useing.

Core 2 Quad Q8300

GTX 560Ti

4GB DDR2 RAM

Your graphics card is fine I have just bought that 2GB though and i avg at about 112 FPS

• 6 months later...
Hello there im having a really bad time with my FPS atm seems when im in combat or just standing around in the imperial fleet it drops really quick or in other areas i dont no the reason to this but i no i have the system to run the game 8gb ram amd radeon 7870 3.6ghz AMD FX ( tm) 4100 quad core processor windows 7 64bit (4 CPU's)

The basic issue with this game is that it uses an old 3D engine. You have probably heard people mention the "Hero" engine. It was developed in 2005/2006 for a game called "Hero's Journey" that was never released. At the time, it was a finalist for game engine of the year, but now it is antiquated technology. In 2008, SWTOR was dreamt up, and the Hero engine seemed like a great idea. It took so long to develop SWTOR and get it to market, that other better engines became available.

That's the history lesson. The issue is that the Hero engine is a 32 bit program, which means it can only handle 2 GB worth of information at a time. The problem is that SWTOR when idle uses at least 2.5 GB worth of memory. So, windows manages it by swapping the information back and forth off of the hard drive, but falls behind because of slow processors. There are ways to speed this process up, including adding solid state drives, upgrading to SATA drives, upgrading your processor/motherboard and using a program such as SWTOR Unleashed.

So, in the long term, if you plan to play this game at anything approaching decent graphics, a hardware upgrade (CPU and motherboard) are a great idea. Any run of the mill 1 GB video card should do decently well. If the hardware upgrade is not feasible, then a software solution might be the best idea, such as the a fore mentioned SWTOR Unleashed or GameBooster.

Bioware should consider developing a 64 bit version of the Hero engine for those of us with 64 bit operating systems. This game would be so awesome!

This message is my opinion, and if you don't like it, flame on. But if you choose to listen to what I say, than take my advice with a grain of salt. Everyone's system is different, and what works for me might not work for you. Check facts, look up multiple sources and make the best decision for you.

Happy Gaming.

Edited by Bida