Force lightning vs madness

Anosa

Madness seems to have a overall damage output that is higher than lightning... but... i seem to do more dps when i stand still and spam lightning when my cooldowns are running while i am on my sorc. What do you think can be done to balance both these builds out?

Well your right, Lightning does have a better dps output (usually) when you can just stand their and DPS, and madness is way more mobile and can put out some good numbers two. There honestly isn't a perfect balance between these two things, you could try out different hybrids and see what fits your play-style but you can't really have madness mobility with the raw damage of lightning, that's why they have two specs.

I just respec'ed from Lightning to Madness and while the damage I deal from madness in approaching some nasty levels, the buffs to Static Field from Lightning can never be overstated. Before I respeced I could make an under-leveled, undergeared Marauder tank and still have time to spot patch the two dps.

Tanks probably prefer me as Lightning because aside from being heal-speced I make their lives easier.

You damage when madness comes from a combination of:

• RECKLESSNESS
  • Creeping Terror
  • Affliction
  • Force Lightning
  • Crushing Darkness (on madness proc)
  • Shock to throw out some burst
  • Lightning Strike (on madness proc)

If attempt to maximize your DPS you'll run out of force very fast. Force lightning is really only good for the madness proc.

Edited by Yeochins

You damage when madness comes from a combination of:

• RECKLESSNESS
  • Creeping Terror
  • Affliction
  • Force Lightning
  • Crushing Darkness (on madness proc)
  • Shock to throw out some burst
  • Lightning Strike (on madness proc)

If attempt to maximize your DPS you'll run out of force very fast. Force lightning is really only good for the madness proc.

Uh, no. You should never be using lightning strike in a full madness build. It is a DPS loss from simply spamming force lightning, even with the buff from Wrath.

You also left out Death Field, which is the single hardest hitting ability in a Madness build. You can get crits of up to 6k in PvE on three targets with Death Field.

Uh, no. You should never be using lightning strike in a full madness build. It is a DPS loss from simply spamming force lightning, even with the buff from Wrath.

You also left out Death Field, which is the single hardest hitting ability in a Madness build. You can get crits of up to 6k in PvE on three targets with Death Field.

And force lightning, "good for nothing but wrath" is like 50% of your DPS.

You can build a very nice DPS route with a Madness Hybrid into Corruption ( not TOP DPS, but you are not losing a lot and you gain a huge heal benefit.)

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#201GhborzZsZcMfRsbk.2

Force Power is easy to keep up, I can dish out well enough DPS, and I can run as main healer and only be missing innervate and revivification which both of these are not needed unless you're doing certain flashpoints like Kaon Under Siege or Ops. All other Flashpoints, I can heal just fine on HM.