STAR WARS™: The Old Republic™ Asia Pacific Launch

CourtneyWoods

• Replies 564
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Bioware,

I don't want to sound greedy, but I'm one of the Aussies playing SWTOR since release (and loving it!) and I just heard the great news that oceanic servers will be released March 1st, and I was curious -

Will there be more than one character transfer for people living in the asia pacific regions per account?

I ask because I've spent a fair amount of time on 2 characters, and since there is currently no PAID transfer (that I'm aware of) I want to know if I should stop playing my alt because if I can't transfer him, and I'm playing on a new server, then it's kind of pointless and I'd have to start over :S

A response either way would be greatly appreciated.

And then this. Really, I don't get it. First you guys all complained that there were no AUS servers at launch.

Now complaining about servers and official launch in your region?

I think you are assuming these are the same people.

Those people in Aus who wanted this are the people saying good stuff, look closely you can see those posts ;)

And by general nature people don't come here when they are happy, only when irked.

Some of them may be upset at the way they are doing this, like myself, living in Japan, being a native English speaker, and playing in a guild full of Aussies. I'm irked that I may not get a free transfer to move with my guild.

In my opinion BW allowing you to freely move is actually a bad idea. What progress oriented player wants to start on a server where hundreds of level 50 toons magically appear minutes after launch?

IMHO they should just forbid any char transfer for at least 3 months. They will get complaints from you guys anyway - regardless what they do.

Can't see how that would work.

Why would you worry about people transfering over their characters? These aren't new servers to see how quickly you can level to 50, they are for Oceanic players to get a server in their region, with a better ping (theoretically ;) )

Edited by Evgen

So what is going to happen to the unofficial Oceanic severs once this happens? There are 3 of them I know of, 2 PVE and 1 PvP. The server populations on those servers is going to plummet once the character transfers start to happen leaving those left over with hardly anyone to play with, and no option to transfer themselves.

So Bioware, how do you plan to deal with that? (Server merge?)

Now if I begin on March 1st with a level 1 char; will it face already fully expertise-equipped transferred level 50 chars when it reaches 50?

The only way to prevent this would be to designate some Asia/Pacific servers as no-go for char transfers...

From FAQ

Why does a digital edition (no physical box), from Origin which is a download, cost $10AUD more than the exact same US edition? Especially when the Australian dollar is worth more than the US dollar?

Note: AUD/USD >> 1.0753 meaning $1AUD = $1.07USD

Also $14.99US = $13.94AUD

$10 is not bad, a big improvement from their old 100% markup.

Developers have been ripping people off here since day dot, digital distribution has highlighted the depth of it. Complain to the ACCC, if people don't complain then nothing will change.

They should set a price for their product in $USD and let exchange rate dictate what it costs everywhere else, they had been double dipping for a long time, especially when the USD was strong.

Thanks BW, great news!!! Doing a great job BTW :cool:

Lots of QQ going around for a game that is less than 3 months old. Wish people could take the news for what it is and QQ, speculate less... but hey, the more subs the better! :D

Without complaints there really wouldnt be a need to improve...

I say again, great job :)

Edited by Kwistikey

I'm one of the many "Asia-Pacific" players that isn't based in the mere four countries listed - I'm in Japan. It would be nice to allow any player in the region a transfer so we can actually play with people in the same time zone. I think its a bit short-sighted not to broaden the transfer to allow the rest of us players in the region the same chance to play with people in our time zone without having to lose all our progression by rerolling.

It's great to hear that we'll be getting Aussie servers so soon after launch (I honestly thought we'd be waiting years)! <3 <3 <3

I will be playing on them, for sure, BUT I don't think I'll be going for the transfer for my main.

You see, as an RP server player (why so few of us in an RPG ;_;?), I already have a story and progression, and guild and friends that will be hard to roleplay out of enough to explain the change. Thus far I'm yet to even meet another Aussie player on my server of choice (Vrook Lamar), so I think I'll be leaving my main and her story there.

If it's possible to transfer some, rather than all my characters, I may do that. I have several very low level alts, that would pretty much be equivalent to re-rolling if I transferred them, instead. My only concern is that, since they are also on Vrook Lamar, there may be an 'all or nothing' approach to transfers. Hopefully we can elect which characters we want moved, and which we don't! Otherwise, complete re-roll it is...

Some valid issues have been raised here (name clashes/Legacy/server populations), though, that I would like to see addressed, even though they don't yet directly affect me. Hopefully Bioware/EA will grant us the courtesy of a little more clarification soon, when this is only a couple of weeks away from happening!

OH. And one little question of my own, that I haven't seen answered yet. As a Pre-Order and CE owner, will all my new Aussie server (can't really call it AsiaPacific when the servers seem to be in Aus only :p) characters receive the bonuses, too, upon creation? I would assume so, since the bonuses are account-linked. But I would just like to be certain. :D

Now if I begin on March 1st with a level 1 char; will it face already fully expertise-equipped transferred level 50 chars when it reaches 50?

The only way to prevent this would be to designate some Asia/Pacific servers as no-go for char transfers...

If I reroll a character on any current server will that happen? If we all start at lvl 1 again, will somebody hit 50 and gear before me?

I hope you guys get info out soon as my guild is currently mulling over whether to transfer or not. One of our biggest concerns is that about 40% (6+ players) of our guild is currently based in Japan / America / other regions that don't seem like they are going to be eligible for free transfers. Even though we all play during oceanic /asia prime time. This leaves us in a real bind.

I hope you consider opening up transfers for everyone. I doubt that many people are going to transfer to Oceanic servers if they don't want to play at Oceanic prime time.

Thanks!

If the servers are located in Australia, you may as well not transfer if you're playing in Singapore.

Your ping will be about the same, if not worse as I believe our packets seems to route through the US first before heading downwards. Did a speedtest last night and had around 385ms latency while I got 185 from a west coast server.

And for the dude who was asking if we speak English in Singapore, here's a tip--whose, not whos.

I would recommend that you use a packet routing facility either via your ISP, or a different ISP or perhaps even a third party vendor such as lower ping. Your ping should be lower from SG to australia than SG to the US if that is done correctly.

I sense bad things with this...glad ppl getting their region specific servers, but I'm on jekk jekk tarr and already have huge problems finding groups for flashpoints and hm's. Now my server pop is going to take a huge hit and no people coming in to replace the numbers leaving? This is going to screw my server population so bad!

-1 on implementation of this post launch and breaking up already established communities! Bad move BW

Unless you are trying to run heroics @ 4am CST then it wont affect any server populations or heroic availability.

I am in Hong Kong and playing on west coast server here's my thoughts on this.

1. Population

After getting to level 50 I realized the pop is so low on my server that PVP gameplay suffers a lot. I will not transfer blindly to a random server. I must survey the server population and guild before and manually make a choice, that means it won't happen until May or so.

Can I transfer few months later and pick my own server?

2. Server by region

The regions listed are proficient in English. I would also imagine those people who is playing and like SWTOR are also very proficient in English. HK and SG are dense city but it's just SINGLE city, have 7 mil people in HK and much less in SG. Given that only a fraction of the population will ever play SWTOR, I honestly don't see any of those servers have high population.

Should really just have 1 server of 1 type for all the small countries in East-Asia. If you have 1 server for each type of each region, PVP or RP server will be desert, 100% sure.

We are all in similar time zone and as long as we can communicate, it's definitely better to have more people to play with.

3. Transfer

Just charge us to transfer already. Let us make our own choice and do it at will. I don't care if it's $100 dollars because it's a one time deal and my entire playing experience depends on it.

If anyone in HONG KONG or SINGAPORE or anywhere want to gather a group of players and transfer together, please email me at tinyeeliu@gmail.com.

So lonely playing on low pop server with wrong time zone!

Just charge us to transfer already. Let us make our own choice and do it at will. I don't care if it's $100 dollars because it's a one time deal and my entire playing experience depends on it.

Yeeeaaaaah. . . . I'm going to go ahead and ask you to NOT say that . . . yeeaaah

I have at least 10 characters above level 15 that I'd really not like to re-roll.

I think I should be eligible as a resident of AP playing with an Aussie guild, but if I'm not I don't want to pay a stack of cash or re-roll.

One suggestion, bulk server transfer. Take all your characters one one server and transfer them to a server you have no characters on.

Of course, for much less than the price of 8 characters transfers :p