Crew Skills...Seriously ???

Nippon

Ok ive had enough now....

I cannot fathom one litte bit why every single profession provides companions with different crew skill bonuses....

It makes no sense at all, Bioware is simply pigeon holing players into picking crafts by what there companion can add to there End Game craft..

Jedi Guardian Gets T701 that grants +2 to slicing, the only profession in the Republic to have this Bonus....Yet other companions give +5 to Biochem and +5 to Sythweaving.... Great I wanted to be an Artifice...Yet not 1 single character in the Entire game gets bonus's Artifice....No efficency is not a bonus..I could not care less if lord scourge can finish an item 4 mins quicker than the ship droid.

Why dont they just make all Companions tier up with all bonuses as you gain affection, Then at least a player can pick any craft he/she wants, and receive some bonuses for putting the effort into the companion's.

Ive never played an MMO in my life that restricts a players ability to craft based on a sub character used to help in leveling...

Another thing that gripes me is sending companion's on mission to find YOU items.....So your 10000 lightside....they come back with Darkside crystal's....TBH i wish i could sack them half the time....

I have a few employees, If i send one out to buy a hammer, i don't expect him to come back with a bloody spade. If there are no hammers, bring me my money back, minus traveling expenses.

Edited by Nippon

Ive never played an MMO in my life that restricts a players ability to craft based on a sub character used to help in leveling...

This game does not restrict players on which craft they choose. Quit spewing false information.

You can still choose slicing even though your companion is +5 critical bioanalysis.

Also the bonuses companions give to certain professions has VERY little affect on overall crafting.

Also many crystals will have their morality requirement removed.

Edited by iResist

you should care about efficiency. over time, especially on large batches of items, its arguably as good as crit. its actually much better during time played for re purposes. just maxing affection knocks off 10min from 2 hour missions, which is really quite nice.

Firstly. I simply ignored those and went with what I want for my crew skills. It hasn't negatively impacted me that much because of the way that affection works. The only way it might impact me is that I'll have to wait another 5 mins for that grade 6 uwt mission because I don't have the +5 in it but that's no big deal.

You're forgetting the MMO that shall not be named which gave you bonuses according to race which pigeon holed you even more as it made you pick the race according to the class/bonuses you wanted. Shall we mention that as well?

Another thing that gripes me is sending companion's on mission to find YOU items.....So your 10000 lightside....they come back with Darkside crystal's....TBH i wish i could sack them half the time....

I have a few employees, If i send one out to buy a hammer, i don't expect him to come back with a bloody spade. If there are no hammers, bring me my money back, minus traveling expenses.

In other words you want your mats when you want them and can't handle having to shock horror, put some on the GTN! According to your sig you want an economy based around crafting. Why not contribute to it then and put your mats on the GTN and contribute by buying some mats if you want them there and then?

***EDIT*** The point behind that is so that if for some reason you want to craft an item to sell it then you can do so.

/your rant, you can go back to playing now

Edited by MrDeas

You're forgetting the MMO that shall not be named which gave you bonuses according to race which pigeon holed you even more as it made you pick the race according to the class/bonuses you wanted. Shall we mention that as well?

I fail to see how in "that other game" (I don't know why we are being childish to the point where we can't even say the name of another product we have used) having a starting bonus of +15 skill (which means in the end it's all the same) comes close to equating a permanent +5% crit chance or -10% time to craft something.

Edited by genesiser

I fail to see how in "that other game" (I don't know why we are being childish to the point where we can't even say the name of another product we have used) having a starting bonus of +15 skill (which means in the end it's all the same) comes close to equating a permanent +5% crit chance or -10% time to craft something.

Agree, I cant understand how ANYBODY can defend Bioware's implementation of crafting, unless you have never played in an MMO with a proper crafting system...

If i want to receive the best end game bonus's possible for Biochem, I HAVE TO PLAY a Jedi Knight...End of story.

Then again i suppose if your not to serious about crafting in a proper crafting system, it would not matter....

Personally I want to achieve the best results and benefit from effort put in, not benefit because I was pigeon holed down a class route because of the companion bonus's.

Nobody has any valid argument what so ever why Crew skills should not be universal. None what so ever...

In other words you want your mats when you want them and can't handle having to shock horror, put some on the GTN! According to your sig you want an economy based around crafting. Why not contribute to it then and put your mats on the GTN and contribute by buying some mats if you want them there and then?

***EDIT*** The point behind that is so that if for some reason you want to craft an item to sell it then you can do so.

/your rant, you can go back to playing now

Yep everything i wrote there was about MATS huh....LOL, LTR.

Since when have Relic's been MATS ??????

Edited by Nippon

Agree, I cant understand how ANYBODY can defend Bioware's implementation of crafting, unless you have never played in an MMO with a proper crafting system.

The only, I mean only, mmo out there that ever had what anyone can consider a "proper" crafting system was SWG and you will never again see anything like that ever.

It is the mmo community over all, not just in this game but across the globe, that has made it the reason why you will never see a robust crafting system like there was in SWG ever again. Things are consistently made easier based on the minority of players that cry out. Things are to difficult for that base and instead of alienating those individuals, most companies would rather embrace them.

The only, I mean only, mmo out there that ever had what anyone can consider a "proper" crafting system was SWG and you will never again see anything like that ever.

It is the mmo community over all, not just in this game but across the globe, that has made it the reason why you will never see a robust crafting system like there was in SWG ever again. Things are consistently made easier based on the minority of players that cry out. Things are to difficult for that base and instead of alienating those individuals, most companies would rather embrace them.

I hear what you are saying...

But let's be fair, we do not have a crafting system what so ever...I cannot influence my ability to get Great successes, I have no control over what comes back...

Its a babies mini game IMHO. That rewards effort based on pure luck.

But let's be fair, we do not have a crafting system what so ever...I cannot influence my ability to get Great successes, I have no control over what comes back...

Its a babies mini game IMHO. That rewards effort based on pure luck.

You mean just like you had to hope and pray you got a critical or great success while experimenting every single item you cooked up in SWG?

You mean just like you had to hope and pray you got a critical or great success while experimenting every single item you cooked up in SWG?

I supposed something that helped was that you basically knew where you stood in SWG. The critical rates were all upfront in the crafting panel. In TOR you might know that your companion has a special bonus, but you have no idea what your natural crit rate is, or how much extra your companion is getting from affection, without doing some digging on the forums.

Personally I'd love it if they made crafter skill trees or some way to enhance your crafting through the legacy system. To me that was the best part of SWG's crafting, your ability to improve over time (even if SWG was stupid about it and let it spiral out of control breaking the economy and gameplay since you could achieve results better than their devs anticipated). It really let you make a name for yourself as a crafter and establish yourself within the community on your server. I know they don't want to lock new crafters out, which is fine, but there's always going to be varying demands. Some people want subpar cheap stuff to tide them over, others want the best possible no matter the cost.

Edited by Khadroth