PvP: Why are Imps better than Pubs?

Sentinel_Locke

First off, I "was" an avid PvP player on the Republic side. I say was because I can no longer stomach the absolutely terrible players that PvP on there (at least on the Jedi Covenant server). Players there have resigned themselves to one simple fact: If you queue solo for PvP as a Republic player, you are going to lose. It breaks my heart to admit it. To tell you how bad it is over there, let me say that I picked up my weekly PvP quest on Tuesday. By the following Monday, I had won 3/9 matches. And this is playing roughly 3-4 hours of PvP every day for that week. (You should maybe note that all 3 of the matches I won were skirmishes against other pubs).

Now, if I play my Imperial character, I can get wins and on average about 35 kills while not even wearing any PvP gear. What is up with that? (They are the mirrored classes, a Sentinel and Marauder)

Now, what I want to ask is, why? What makes the Imperials SOOO much better than the Pubs? Is it the fact that a staggering number of PvP Imps are Sorcs (tons of heals and shields there)? Is it that they actually utilize stuns in succession to keep players down? Possibly all of the AoE's they drop on top of mission objectives to keep players from accessing them?

Feel free to toss your two cents in. Perhaps even make some of the Pubs wake up to how awful things are.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a 50 on both factions and honestly it seems about even in terms of how well each side is in pvp. I started out as an imp but prefer pubs because for one I feel like the underdog and it feels so good to defeat the giant empire. Secondly I like the fact that as a pub I get to play against the opposing faction...on my imp toon nearly 90% of my matches are against other imp teams. What fun is there in that?

Well, we know that on most servers, there are still more imps and pubs. From there, we can see that even if the percentage of players are good pvpers who would premade in a group is the same on both sides, we still see that the imperial advantage is proportional to their total population advantage. So, there's more imperial premades, so it seems like they're better. Usually pugs playing with premades seem "good" as well simply because they're being carried.

tl;dr the reason is why lots of ships go missing in the Bermuda Triangle.

Edited by Zunayson

First off, I "was" an avid PvP player on the Republic side. I say was because I can no longer stomach the absolutely terrible players that PvP on there (at least on the Jedi Covenant server). Players there have resigned themselves to one simple fact: If you queue solo for PvP as a Republic player, you are going to lose. It breaks my heart to admit it. To tell you how bad it is over there, let me say that I picked up my weekly PvP quest on Tuesday. By the following Monday, I had won 3/9 matches. And this is playing roughly 3-4 hours of PvP every day for that week. (You should maybe note that all 3 of the matches I won were skirmishes against other pubs).

Now, if I play my Imperial character, I can get wins and on average about 35 kills while not even wearing any PvP gear. What is up with that? (They are the mirrored classes, a Sentinel and Marauder)

Now, what I want to ask is, why? What makes the Imperials SOOO much better than the Pubs? Is it the fact that a staggering number of PvP Imps are Sorcs (tons of heals and shields there)? Is it that they actually utilize stuns in succession to keep players down? Possibly all of the AoE's they drop on top of mission objectives to keep players from accessing them?

Feel free to toss your two cents in. Perhaps even make some of the Pubs wake up to how awful things are.

I know exactly how you feel I find that i'm able to get my weekly/daily pvp mission's done 10 times faster on my imperial characters then i am on my republic. To be very honest i think this is a problem becouse there are to many permade teams queueing up on the Imperial side versus the Republic side. But over all i can understand your frustrations i feel that the pvp arenas are to unbalenced right now. So i just run more imperial characters becouse i know i stand a much better chance of winning.

If I hadn't seen it for myself, I might agree that the Imps win by pre-made groups. However, I always queue solo into PvP. In randomly generated groups, things on the Imp side pretty much always run more smoothly. After talking to a friend of mine today about this little issue, we seem to think it boils down to all of the Sorcs and Assassins that pretty much dominate the group structure on the Imp side.

Assassins can tank and stealth around which is great for huttball. And mixed with Sorcs who drop shields and heals on their group, Imps have the advantage. On the Pub side, at least in my experience, groups are predominantly Guardians/Sentinels. The two combined leap into battles only to get stun locked and die seconds later (happens to my Sentinel enough).

In summary, this dilemma seem largely affected by character leanings per faction. While I'm certain there are other factors, this is one that seems the most obvious.

1. PvE players go reps, PvP players go imps.

2. Faction imbalance: Imps > Reps, and pvp'ers from Imps >>> Reps

3. All hardcore imp pvp'ers reroll into FoTM classes; casual reps do not

This is the reason, why Illum dead forever and never rise again - cuz its giant zergfast with hordes of imps and zero reps.

BW make fatal mistake in 2-side faction concept (there need 3rd faction - Underworld smugglers/bounty hunters for balancing these 2 sides) and so advertised in their media imp side.

I find it hard to believe that Jedi Covenant has changed that much since I left it. Sorry if I don't take your word for it. I'll just wait till my gunslinger gets to level 50 and see for myself. It is widely known that the Republic completely dominates that server, and exactly the reason why I no longer play level 50 Imperial toons on there.

Depends on the server.

My current server has a select group of really strong imperial players amongst a mostly lackluster fleet population, while republic fleet has a much larger group of skilled players that arent quite at the standard of that aforementioned imperial group.

The difference in skill quality between the two fleets: ranked WZ experience and success therein - pubs do pug ranked most nights (defeating the purpose of ranked tbh, but meh), while that select imp group dominates the serious ranked WZ scene

I honestly don't know what OP is talking about. I solo que and PUG lvl 50 Republic PvP all the time and do fine. Some days you do great, some days you don't, like any other. I got 5 wins in 8 matches on Jedi Covenant so far this morning, on Republic side.

1. PvE players go reps, PvP players go imps.

2. Faction imbalance: Imps > Reps, and pvp'ers from Imps >>> Reps

3. All hardcore imp pvp'ers reroll into FoTM classes; casual reps do not

This is the reason, why Illum dead forever and never rise again - cuz its giant zergfast with hordes of imps and zero reps.

BW make fatal mistake in 2-side faction concept (there need 3rd faction - Underworld smugglers/bounty hunters for balancing these 2 sides) and so advertised in their media imp side.

3rd faction does nothing nor does it fit into the lore. So sick of seeing this suggestion. Just because a 3rd faction exists doesn't change anything.

Feel free to toss your two cents in. Perhaps even make some of the Pubs wake up to how awful things are.[/quote

Two different types of code written. Imperial classes for the most part are much smoother. Pistols have a smaller turning radius, a lot of the abilities just run better. I played beta before they decided to mirror all the classes, it was a much better game then. New code was written for the republic players, basically vanguard mimic'd powertech, not the other way around, they were two completely separate classes. It is like that for a lot of other classes as well.

Who wants to throw rocks when you can shoot lightning?

its the revers on Ebon Hawk, the republic are the better players and the majority of the imp wins are either they have a ballanced pug team or they are premading. most of the republic pug groups seem to be somewhat ballanced due to people rolling a majority of different classes where as the imps seem to be more FOTOM heavy Maras / PT's. while they are heavy on their teams they dont add to the pool in a positive way and they hurt their teams except in HB where they shine brightly.

perhaps the republic players on your server OP are more FOTOM heavy than diverse.

I also get the impression when I'm having same faction pvp, everything seems more balanced, but when I square off against the empire everything is so overwhelming, especially if I'm being hit by tracer missiles from bounty hunters, or being cut down by a operatives backstab, even the inquisitors drain and lightning attacks seems more extreme, and this is coming from a tank with full advantage elite gear. Edited by RaithHarth

I honestly don't know what OP is talking about. I solo que and PUG lvl 50 Republic PvP all the time and do fine. Some days you do great, some days you don't, like any other. I got 5 wins in 8 matches on Jedi Covenant so far this morning, on Republic side.

Then you sir, are either lucky or maybe there are better groups in the mornings when you play. I don't know. Either way, it's cool that you don't have problems. But simply put, most of the solo pug players I've talked to are experiencing the same problems as I am. I created this thread to try and pinpoint why this particular problem exists. If it is simply player skill or pre-made grouping (which seems likely) that is mixed in with the high Sorc/Assassin player count the Imps have, them maybe it will wake up some of the Republic players to what they need to do. However, if there is actually something very wrong with the balancing between Imps and Pubs (not likely, but who knows), then that is something we as players should bring to BW's attention, assuming they care (probably not).

In truth, I'm just sick of the imbalance of wins per faction. I prefer an evenly matched battle. If it gets too easy like it does on my Marauder, I get bored and stop caring. If it gets impossible to even finish a weekly, like on my Sentinel, I get frustrated just as much as the next guy. Don't you guys feel the same?

I will tell you the truth. The imps always have more warriors in games then repubs. Now, this can either be a blessing or a curse. You will roll the other team so hard because their warriors are trash, or you will get stomped because they have a lot of pro warriors. Given they are smash.

Well, since on Jedi Covenant there are multiple threads about why Imps have it so rough against pubs.... nou? The fact that you go into wz without PVP gear brings to mind individual player skill as a factor