Character Transfer, Server Populations and You

Question:

My main toon is on a low populated EU server, 'Rogue Moon'.

I rerolled on highly populated 'The Red Eclipse' EU server.

I've yet to achieve Legacy on both servers. Will I be able to move my main toon to The Red Eclipse or should I just delete him?

Short answer: Don't know. Slightly longer answer: If Rogue Moon & The Red Eclipse are origin & destination servers respectively in this wave, then yes, and if you've not achieved Legacy yet, that shouldn't factor into it.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I can't transfer from Rogue Moon to Red Eclipse then I've lost my main toon. I doubt I will be able to transfer from Red Eclipse to elsewhere as it is the most populated English PvE EU server.... (preferred Rogue Moon though).

It is nice to see people at bioware actually reading the thread. This is a positive sign.

You may not like what i say but i am honest. Would have been nice to see this done long time ago.

Now at least you are starting to listen.

You have my feedback that i wont sacrifice my names ect for your mistakes.

Basically this is saying the following:

Say your main ghost town server is A and the new server you want to go to is B.

You have NO ONE on server B, so you bring all your toons from A to B. Now, your Legacy name is Kitten on server A. When you transfer to server B, your Legacy goes with you.

Okay, once you hit server B, you have to rename your Legacy. It still has all your bells and whistles, but you have to rename your Legacy because you lost your name.

IF no one chooses Kitten on server B, you can name your Legacy Kitten again.

Does this make sense?

No. You can keep your name if it's not taken. If the legacy name is free then you have the option to keep it. Based that all the heavy servers will not be receiving anymore people. There is a good chance you will keep your legacy name unless it's like Champion or something generic.

You have NO ONE on server B, so you bring all your toons from A to B. Now, your Legacy name is Kitten on server A. When you transfer to server B, your Legacy goes with you.

Okay, once you hit server B, you have to rename your Legacy. It still has all your bells and whistles, but you have to rename your Legacy because you lost your name.

Does this make sense?

Yes, it does. I appreciate your input :)

I completely agree!!! Transferring the full guild should be a given, name, bank, ranks and all. Thank GOD my guild is still healthy and active...but that sure as hell isn't because of anything Bioware has done. This is horrible! I can't even send a flipping mass email to my guild members...how the **edit** am I supposed to facilitate an entire guild move in LESS than 6 days?!

You won't even tell us what servers we can go to yet?! Holy crap guys...what the hell!? We have lives outside of this game...and to be frank, this game would suck if weren't for those players in my guild. THEY are what I play for...not Legacy unlocks.

Decide quick! VERY quick! We NEED this information ASAP!!!!

/agree with much gnashing of teeth.

3. Don't close moves from destination servers from origin server any time soon. If some of our guild members come back to play they should be able to transfer to us, otherwise they may not re-subscribe

This is an excellent point that bears repeating. Transfer opportunities really mustn't come and go like wormholes on a daily basis.

If these friends aren't playing/subbing, I don't think any game company would care if their characters get transferred. There isn't a seniority system in place, this is normal for any MMO that has server moves, sadly if your name is taken, you'll have to rename.

That's a sure-fire wire to REALLY discourage old players from coming back. I don't think Bioware wants any discouragement in that department. They'll probably just leave them on the same server.

This is good for people that have stood by their dying servers, but us rerollers don't seem to be included yet. I left my JG on a dead server and rerolled, hoping to move him once transfers hit. I'll likely have to pay money to move him now..... no thanks.

If you already have a legacy of 8 or higher on a heavy server, you should be able to move your other characters to that same server free of charge. It's not like I can play more than one of them at a time....

This is a good thing definitely. Only problem I foresee is that a guild of people who want to stay together happens to be on one of the origin servers. They allow us to move to a destination server for a day... two days... a week... whatever their timeframe is. But then that opportunity is limited in time and/or the destination server changes suddenly without warning and we still have half of our guild trying to transfer off the origin server or we have a couple integral members on vacation for the week and completely miss being able to transfer. Suddenly we either have to choose to keep the whole guild on a suddenly dead server or screw over a chunk of our guild members and leave without warning to them.

Like I said this transfer is definitely a very good thing and happy it is sooner then later. But not having some sort of guild transfer function could be problematic.

Please address this Bioware.

We understand that some of you may be looking to consolidate characters from a variety of origin servers onto one server, and others may be anxious to move to a specific server to be with friends. With the restrictions of this initial service, that may not be possible. We still believe that you will enjoy playing on a higher population server and hope you'll take advantage of the service, but you won't be forced to transfer. Future versions of the Character Transfer Service may allow more options in your choice of destination servers and may require a transfer fee.
Lame. Lame lame lame. BioWare, why do you continue to fail at community support?

My guild is stuck on a dead server, with most of its members having high legacy levels (30+), and have been planning on transferring together. And now this.

What producer, manager or empty suit at BioWare/EA failed to plan for this scenario? Have you fired him yet? Because he freakin' deserves it.

This article, while it's great they threw us a small bone, still doesn't answer many questions lingering in peoples minds. I'm not so sure I trust Bioware to do this smoothly. We shall see in a week.

This process will be gradual and staged over time.

Over how much time?

How soon will it be before the majority of players will be able to actually utilize the transfer service?

6/12/12 sounds alright (sooner than I expected) but if we're taking baby steps through out the process it's going to still be painful waiting for players to populate my server/see if I can actually even transfer ALL eight of my characters from one server to another (which I'm thinking may not even be possible?)

As with a lot of information comming from Bioware... I feel like I've been given a 1,000 piece puzzle with a dozen pieces missing.

I'll wait, and I'll determine if my sub should be reactivated in a week or two.

In the free month we were "gifted" I've spent serveral hours each night on a dead server. I won't pay a penny more to continue to do so.

I understand the desire to limit server transfers as a means of balancing populations, but there are a few things that need to be taken into account.

For one, many players, including myself, rerolled on a new server in order to play with a higher population prior to transfers being available. We would all really like to be able to put all of our characters onto one server. So, in the initial round of transfers, something needs to be worked out so that people can unify characters onto one server.

Second, some people want to change what type of server they play on. I have characters on an RP server, but would actually prefer to have them on a regular PvE server. Other people may have started on a PvE server, but now wish to get characters transferred to a PvP server. The origin type and destination type servers should not be strictly the same.

Thank you Bioware! Re-subbing for 6 months.

Only thing I'm disappointed in is that I probably won't have the option of moving from my current PVE server to an RP-PVE server... but its my own dumb fault for not rolling on one in the first place.

If/when paid transfers come around, I might just consider doing it depending on the cost.

Again, thank you for not only the detail, but the speed of beginning this process.

I don't know where you get that I'm "bent on complaining at any sort of fee" because I've only lamented one. This one. Hypothetical for you:

I paid $60 for a box and $75 for five months of play. I've been active in the game, but the population on my server has declined rapidly as subscriptions dropped off. My in-game experience is very much suffering because of this. As it turns out, some of the most populated servers in the game--the servers people rushed to in the face of the population decline--happen to be cross-typed to my own. Despite that those other servers (PvE) aren't of the same type as my home server (PvP), I rolled characters on one because the added population made my own play style significantly more enjoyable--just because of the booming population. Now on this new server I'm finding groups easier, queues are much shorter, and I'm just generally happier as I wait for the opportunity to move the rest of my leveled toons over.

The population woes are not my fault. My home server was rated "Heavy" during early access. There was no indication that I would someday suffer my way through population decline to the levels the game is currently facing.

Given all of this, am I supposed to be happy that I can't do this type of transfer? Am I supposed to be excited for an uncertain future where I might be allowed to make this cross-type transfer or that I may be charged for the privilege? Am I supposed to be pleased that the effort I spent on my new characters, which are considerably lower-leveled and geared than my original toons, was for naught?

It's arbitrary and it's a money grab.

Seriously.

How about letting people consolidate their legacies on whatever server they want? I can only play one character at a time and I have no interest in being shafted with characters and a legacy on whatever server you decide to stick transfers from Veela where all my other characters are located. I have made a new legacy on Fatman and that is where I want to play.

Free transfers from Veela mean nothing to me unless you let me transfer to Fatman where I have my new legacy. Free transfers from Veela to whatever random server destination you choose means my subscription is still set to expire in 41 days. Whether that gets renewed or not is completely up to you but the way you are handling this is not inspiring much confidence.

Why not do guild transfers as a block move that essentially initiates an optional transfer for all members, and that moves the entity of the guild itself?

Those that opt out remain on the server and become guild-less, those that opt in get to move to where the guild is, even if the window of opportunity has gone. Seems fair to me.

Example: You log in and are greeted with 'Your guild has elected to move from Bananarama to Funky Chicken, do you wish to join them?' Click Yes or No, maybe have an Are You Really Sure, and job done. Transfer happens or not.

Keeping guilds together as cohesive units would seem pretty critical.

Edited by Grammarye

Does this make sense?

What would happen--rather, what do you think would happen (and if a CS rep could chime in here I'd love it)--if the scenario was the same as above, but you already had a lower-level legacy with a preferred name established on server B?

Basically:

Server A: Level 31 Legacy with undesired name

MOVES TO

Server B: Level 2 Legacy with a preferable name.

What happens then?

Dear BioWare,

You have all the data to be able to coordinate proper transfers without using this "take your bets and hope that your whole guild ends together" system. Why can't you check active players on each low pop server and suggest those of us that are still playing on them the best server based on guild sizes and name availability? You have the data to do so and try to really do everything you can to ensure a smooth process, not us. I really, REALLY hope that your choice of origin and destination servers uses this system and that I'm reading too mucho into the announcement..

I see myself not even trying to transfer anywhere if my server is not a destination one. And guess what will happen when we get tired of the low pop. Also, no way that I'm going to pay for a proper transfer in the future when the current situation is not my fault at all.

I didn't ask for more servers and I chose the first english RP server that was available back in the first day of Early Access. Now you tell me that because some people complained about queues on the firsts days my whole guild and I have to take the chances of losing our names and some guildies on the process if we want to move to more lucky servers? No, thanks.

I'm not into complaining, but this is something that is so needed at the moment, that the chance of it being more negative than positive forces me to want to write this.

Cheers.

Lame. Lame lame lame. BioWare, why do you continue to fail at community support?

My guild is stuck on a dead server, with most of its members having high legacy levels (30+), and have been planning on transferring together. And now this.

What producer, manager or empty suit at BioWare/EA failed to plan for this scenario? Have you fired him yet? Because he freakin' deserves it.

If you're all on a dead server, you should be fine. You'll just have to coordinate which destination server you're transferring to. I think that statement was more for people that have friends that rerolled to the Fatman and now they want to transfer to join them. Things like that.

Why not do guild transfers as a block move that essentially initiates an optional transfer for all members, and that moves the entity of the guild itself?

Those that opt out remain on the server and become guild-less, those that opt in get to move to where the guild is, even if the window of opportunity has gone. Seems fair to me.

Example: You log in and are greeted with 'Your guild has elected to move from Bananarama to Funky Chicken, do you wish to join them?' Click Yes or No, maybe have a Are You Really Sure, and job done.

Yeah. I am absolutely concerned this is going to do nothing but destroy my guild.

People are going to start straggling in over the next X weeks, and say "Hey, where is my guild now". I'll tell them "Server XY". They'll go to free transfer page, and see that server is not available.

Then they'll stay gone.

Objectively, as far as I see it, the inability to transfer a guild is going to all but destroy guilds all throughout the game.

Edited by islander

So now will you give us cross-server LFG? Because there is no *********** way that enough people are going to transfer to a destination server to keep queue times low.

Based on what evidence do you come to this conclusion?

What a huge, huge mistake Bioware is making. In the name of saving face they very well might be putting a couple more nails into this games proverbial coffin.

The correct solution is server merges which helps keep guilds together as well as whats left of the communities servers have developed. This limited pool transfer is going to be a disaster. What if friends that are on a break come back an are unable to meet up with the rest of the friends because there are no longer transfer to that server.

This whole solution to this issue is a microcosm of the inept decisions in design this game suffers from. I cant believe that the negative PR from server merges has forced their hands into this completely foolish decision.

What I thought would and could be such a positive event moving forward is turning into another in a long line of terrible self defeating choices by Bioware.

There is a solution to this for guilds. If your guild intends on transferring servers then I don't see why bioware doesn't give the opportunity for the servers that have the chance to move to allow entire guilds to transfer when it happens. All it would take is some sort of communication between bioware and guild master. Just my two cents.

Arguably, it's only an issue if the players left on a ghost town server don't want to be on a ghost town server. Some, as this thread illustrates, don't mind.

Now, it's very different if we end up in a scenario where the opportunities have passed for free transfers and people who wish to be elsewhere are still stuck on a ghost town server.

I also remain intrigued as to how the inevitable reduction on some servers will be handled. One would think that at some point the hardware to keep a server going is just not viable for, say, a mere 100 players.

Actually, it is a little more involved than that. Bioware may be forced to shut down a server with only 25 people on it (The small guild that likes being on the dead server due to being able to keep their name, etc.) because it costs more to manage the server than they are making in revenue from the players on said server. So some players may still be forced to move at some point. Bioware has stated that it will not be in this round of transfers though.