Made level 55...now what?

Warhrs

The question is a rhetorical one.

I've been trying to move into the PvP and starfighter arenas, with absolutely no success. With starfighters, I've sorta been able to make it work, but I'm so far behind everybody else that all I really amount to is easy meat for the Imp players.

PvP is even worse. It looks to me that---because I haven't been PvP'ing all along---now there's no way whatsoever to have the success necessary to earn the commendations to buy better gear. My JK Sentinel is unstoppable against NPCs, but I've been repeatedly humiliated by PvPers that are fully 20 levels below me. I get torn to shreds by level 35s and 40s, when I ought to be able stomp them into the ground. Instead, I get no hits at all---but THEY burn me down in five seconds or less.

How the hell does anybody PvP in this game? It's being made clear to me that I should have been doing this all along, but I chose to level rather than PvP and now I'm being penalized for it. (In case you're wondering,...No, I don't believe you can level while PvPing. That's what the story missions are for.)

errr, is this a serious post?

Errr., yeah. Is yours?

Do you actually have something constructive to add, or are you just some kid in his basement who never leaves the house, plays the game all day long, and thinks that the rest of us---because we have jobs and lives---are just hopelessly inferior?

Edited by Warhrs

As a 55 how the hell are level 35s killing you? They cant wear pvp gear till 55 and you can't q with them

Beats the heck outta me. All I know is I got owned hard by a pair of them yesterday. Shadowlands server.

Errr., yeah. Is yours?

Do you actually have something constructive to add, or are you just some kid in his basement who never leaves the house, plays the game all day long, and thinks that the rest of us---because we have jobs and lives---are just hopelessly inferior?

This was a bit of an overreaction don't you think?

I love this post if it's 100% real. Here is OP, wanting to try and PvP, never really did lowbies since you "cant" level there and is wondering why he is destroying NPC's yet players are posing a challenge.

Love it, love everything about it.

Then you are clearly a troll looking for a fight, have fun.

No, what I am is a frustrated player who, upon maxing out my level, wants to try other aspects of the game. I come here looking for help, and all I get is...you. Thanks. Thanks so much! You're so helpful!:mad:

Never mind. I guess I should'a known better than to come here looking for real help. Instead I get a couple of goofballs who just want to bust my chops. So sorry to have wasted your time just because I wanted to get more invested in this game and try to get better. You can go back to your life of doing nothing but playing the game now...bye, and thanks for nothing.

The question is a rhetorical one.

My suggestions: Read the two stickied posts at the top of this forum, absorb as much as you can, and refer back to them as needed.

Also check your class/advanced class forums. Most of the stuff there is PVE-related but some of it is still relevant to PVP, and there are PVP-specific threads mixed in.

I'll throw some actual advice.

PvP 101

1) PvP at lower levels. Probably the most important thing is to PvP early and often. Learning your strengths and weaknesses against all other specs and classes is incredibly important. Also PvPing in low levels ensures you will have loads of warzone medpacks and adrenals.

2) Augment your ****.

3) Use stims.

4) Work on acquiring all class buffs.

5) Perfect your rotations and know when to burst, stall and CC.

6) Get a solid handle on how all maps function.

7) Keybind and acquire situational awareness. Identify key targets like strong DPS characters and healers, watch buffs/debuffs, keep an eye on objectives at all time etc etc.

There. That will make you better than 70% of the player base if you do all of those things.

I'm somewhat new to PVP and the bolster system has me puzzled. When you recommend augments are you talking BIS Advanced 28 augments?

To the OP, I get where you are coming from. There really are some people who live to PVP and are quite good at it. They will waste you and are hunting you looking for achievement points in open world. Until you are comfortable in pvp by getting some warzones under your belt and grinding out some pvp gear, I would avoid flagging yourself in the open world (which is the only place you could encounter lvl 35 vs your lvl 55).

There have been some good recommendations here. Single que or group que with guildies for warzones. Get some thick skin for all of the people who will call you a noob because... like me, you are a noob to pvp. It gets better.

I'm somewhat new to PVP and the bolster system has me puzzled. When you recommend augments are you talking BIS Advanced 28 augments?

Yeah level 55 28's. Purps are obviously what you want to shoot for but blues are fine. Just make sure you use modded gear and don't augment PvP gear outside of relics/implants/ear chip since you need to turn in weapons and armor.

A salute to cycao's post. I know this is an MMO, and one with a Huge level separation, but pure superiority via levels or gear, or even both, isn't exactly a realistic goal in any game, when you're up against a well organized group of players who've developed the kind of strategy he talks about. That 30% that's better than the %70 percent of players will find a way to bring you down, even if it comes down to a matter of sheer numbers.

Your best bet for success is to take Every advantage you can (Including ganging up on players who've got you held down). You can find an awful lot about strategies for combat, farming, leveling, etc. on these forums if ya look hard enough.

Look at your play style as well as your gear and stats to find room for improvements, and learn to play your strengths against other's weaknesses. You'll get there.

I am confused

If you are 55 you can't wzone with lower levels

If you are in open world pvp a player 20 levels lower will never hit you

If the post is serious I will give a serious answer: make a new alt and learn the ropes with it

Your 55 can be a sugar daddy to your alt as well

By the time 2.7 hits you will have much more experience and can play your 55 again

Never mind. I guess I should'a known better than to come here looking for real help. Instead I get a couple of goofballs who just want to bust my chops. So sorry to have wasted your time just because I wanted to get more invested in this game and try to get better. You can go back to your life of doing nothing but playing the game now...bye, and thanks for nothing.

Holy god man. He asked you a question and you immediately feel that he's trolling you. So you proceed to attack his personal life and treat him like an idiot. Then you expect help? Just don't get it. What you could do is explain how they're "melting" you. Are you being stationary and standing still? Or you having a hard time keeping the enemy player in front of you to fire off your attacks? What talent tree are you going down and do you know how to properly use it for PvP?

errr, is this a serious post?

Warhrs: If you're wondering why Marcus said this, it's because we are seriously missing some context and I think you may have a few details mixed up.

As a level 55 character, you will not face lower level characters in warzones. The brackets are 10-29, 30-54, and 55. So, if you queue for a warzone with your 55, you will face other 55s only.

If you are in an open world pvp situation, level 35s and 40s will barely scratch you or miss you completely. There is an "expertise" stat that is attached to pvp gear, but you can't even wear pvp gear until you are at 55. So, there is no possible way that 35s and 40s could wipe the floor with you as you described.

So, your statement is impossible. That is why your post looks like a troll post, hence you get troll responses.

Warhrs: If you're wondering why Marcus said this, it's because we are seriously missing some context and I think you may have a few details mixed up.

As a level 55 character, you will not face lower level characters in warzones. The brackets are 10-29, 30-54, and 55. So, if you queue for a warzone with your 55, you will face other 55s only.

If you are in an open world pvp situation, level 35s and 40s will barely scratch you or miss you completely. There is an "expertise" stat that is attached to pvp gear, but you can't even wear pvp gear until you are at 55. So, there is no possible way that 35s and 40s could wipe the floor with you as you described.

So, your statement is impossible. That is why your post looks like a troll post, hence you get troll responses.

But it's not impossible. I went into two WZ's yesterday where I faced off against at least one 30's level and a scattering of low 40's levels. I can't remember the name of one of them---it was a domination WZ where we had to capture three turrets that were shooting at a landing capital-class ship. I saw a 39 in that one, and got ganked by two 43's working in tandem. The other WZ was a Huttball one---got a level 52, a 54, and a 49 in that one, against the three of us that were 55's across the board.

Before you ask---no, I didn't get any screenshots, although in retrospect I probably should have. My claims would carry more weight that way. In my defense I'll say that I was too busy playing AND getting melted at the time to snap a couple of pictures. I tell you what: I'll go back into WZ's again today, and try to get some snaps.

If what you all are telling me is true, then the only other thing I can think of is that the PvP system is borked, big-time. Not that it would have made a big difference, because I'm also learning---as I sift through the forums---is that I've got to somehow change out all my gear for PvP, which I can't do because I don't have anywhere near the awards to get any good gear.

As to the rest...when somebody posts up that they're having trouble, the first response is NOT "r u 4 real?" The correct first response is: "Okay. So which warzone/PvP instance was it, what time were you playing (because these servers DO get lagspikes and you may have gotten caught in one), and what were the players' names?" Additional questions like "What exactly is your gear and what are the adds on it?" are also reasonable.

But that response isn't gonna get it.

Edited by Warhrs

Beats the heck outta me. All I know is I got owned hard by a pair of them yesterday. Shadowlands server.
Hahahahahahahaah!!!!!!!!!!!

Also, I think the problem here might be that you need glasses because a lvl 55 does not get teamed up/with lower levels.

Edited by MidichIorian

But it's not impossible. I went into two WZ's yesterday where I faced off against at least one 30's level and a scattering of low 40's levels. I can't remember the name of one of them---it was a domination WZ where we had to capture three turrets that were shooting at a landing capital-class ship. I saw a 39 in that one, and got ganked by two 43's working in tandem. The other WZ was a Huttball one---got a level 52, a 54, and a 49 in that one, against the three of us that were 55's across the board.

What you're describing sounds like you are playing in the 30-54 bracket, not the 55 bracket.

Leanr all you can now, because it will be tougher when you are playing against other 55s.

First, the levels don't matter much in WZs. There is a mechanic called Bolster that evens things out, so the fact that you are 20 levels higher than your opponents is not very important.

Most players would lose going against 2 opponents, especially 2 opponents that have played together. In a WZ, no one is fodder. Your best bet to start off with is maybe follow someone of your class around at first, and see what they do. This will let you learn the maps and get a handle on the faster pace of PvP.

Another suggestion would be to accept that is a totally new facet of the game, that you will be learning from scratch, while playing against people who have been doing it for years.

Before you ask---no, I didn't get any screenshots, although in retrospect I probably should have. My claims would carry more weight that way. In my defense I'll say that I was too busy playing AND getting melted at the time to snap a couple of pictures. I tell you what: I'll go back into WZ's again today, and try to get some snaps.

If what you all are telling me is true, then the only other thing I can think of is that the PvP system is borked, big-time. Not that it would have made a big difference, because I'm also learning---as I sift through the forums---is that I've got to somehow change out all my gear for PvP, which I can't do because I don't have anywhere near the awards to get any good gear.

As to the rest...when somebody posts up that they're having trouble, the first response is NOT "r u 4 real?" The correct first response is: "Okay. So which warzone/PvP instance was it, what time were you playing (because these servers DO get lagspikes and you may have gotten caught in one), and what were the players' names?" Additional questions like "What exactly is your gear and what are the adds on it?" are also reasonable.

But that response isn't gonna get it.

1. This is impossible and has NEVER been recorded as far as I am aware.

2. I am not a customer service rep, neither is anyone else here. If you were expecting that sort of reply try, i dunno, the customer support forum? I don't work for you so I will say what I like. Don't like my answer? Tough, I can say what I like as long as I'm polite about it. Making personal attacks just goes to show your lack of ability to articulate your opinions in an adult manner.